09

Bermuda Triangle

Play, Listen & Read

 

She led me down a sharp left turn, into a hallway that seemed almost barren, too abandoned for students to even pay attention. The door slowly closed, until I heard the click, that's when she was mumbling. About the rumors of this school, about the girl we just bumped into, how she was dating this guy that the school automatically hailed as their king. Not to mention, she was clenching her fist at the names slurring out of , I barely could understand what she was rambling about let alone keep up with her rapid tongue. A few curse words slipped here and there, not that I didn't mind but why was she talking down students when she was an intern? She attended this school and the year after her graduation here she was, the popular's drama was still carrying on just two years below her. When she was a senior in high school, I was only a sophomore. It was all puzzling to connect the dots that matched in her mind but left mine jumbled with words and images that didn't seem to correspond.
"Anyways, the warning bell rang and soon I have to speak with the principal. Use this map to guide yourself around. After second period is study hall, plan out your classes then. I'll see you later, Areum." She bidded a short yet sweet and delicate goodbye that seemed too rushed. Rushed, rushing, running, I needed to attend my next class. I immediatly traveled to the building classifyed as two, the second floor, piano. Keyboarding but piano suited it best, I was in Piano 4 in my other school, I skipped three because they claimed it wouldn't be anything to my advantage. And I agreed with them, the higher the class the better for a quick learner such as myself. 
"So sorry I'm late," I stated as I bowed to the class then the teacher several times until my back began to ache. 
"Ah, yes. You must be Tae Areum," the teacher gestured me to the front of the classroom. "I heard great things about you and your talent," he whispered then turned to the students to request a warm greeting. It was all unnecessary, even some girls were bickering about how I should return to my old school, a great introduction to a plain-jane girl such as myself to a bunch of uninterested children. That's what they were, children. All of them, every head I counted would act immature, rolling their eyes to God know's where and why, proclaiming their life was the most difficult. Try to accustom yourself in an entirely different family that has a life as a god or goddess, I'm still trying to wrap my head around just the idea; to live in reality was nothing I wanted to rush into, I didn't even want any of this, any change. I would have been fine living back at grounds that were familiar, no big deal but to survive in a different district and school and be surrounded with students that were nothing similar to my other school was all too much. 
"You can sit next to Hanuel. Raise your hand, Mr. Kang," The teacher called out. One boy, near the window wore headphones as his fingers danced on the white keys avoiding the blacks, gazed up for a brief second. I perched on the seat next to his, glancing at how his foot tapped- setting a steady tempo for the melody- then immediately staring at my lap when he turned towards me. His sharp jawline and nose, his firm eyes were all overwhelming. He was handsome and his lips were too enchanting to gaze upon. I could trace the curved lines for hours.
Yah, Areum. You're there to learn not to socialize, my father's words struck my thoughts. You would be a disgrace if anything happened between you and a man. I imagined an extended finger directed to me as I sat below him, receiving yet another verbal punishment. I would then answer respectfully, never a thought of disobeying coursing through my mind. Yes, Father. I understand, school is not a place to mess around
As the teacher was turned around, preoccupied with writing multiple notes on the white board, he whispered with a gentle smile, "Kang Hanuel, your partner." His hand was stuck out, I shook it delicately, but suddenly he pulled me closer. My heartbeat increased by an infinite amount, how was I suppose to retain a tranquil figure while his breath was tickling my neck. His lips were close to my right ear, murmuring words drowned out by the beating of my heart. I attempted to kick out the tremble in my voice as I asked what he just said. 
"You're cute." My eyes widened. "Don't worry, I'll be good."  
Did he mean that because of his high status, he wouldn't threaten me or that he was a naughty person? Boys were so confusing to figure out but they thought the same for us. I turned to him, sparing a small grin, then snapped my head to the front of the room. The teacher had called my name, I shouldn't have been messing around. 
"I see that you and Hanuel are getting along great. But we are studying a different melody. Miss Tae, what is this note?" The teacher played a key on the piano. 
"That is B, sir."  
"Yes, now be quiet while I'm instructing." The class cackled, striking the teacher's pride more than it needed to be. Everyone besides Hanuel. Something flared in me, a second of appreciation transforming into an amiable warmth surrounding me like a blanket. That was the only slight form of pure kindness from anyone in this school, besides Chaerin, I had received.