18

Bermuda Triangle
I returned to the exact parking lot that I entered the school in, searching for Hyunwoo's distinctive car before he pulled up on the side of me. I didn't notice him until he rolled down his window to beckon my into the passenger seat. I responded with a simple no thank you, which he should've taken as leave me alone, today was the worst first day of school that I've ever had in my life. 
"You're going to walk home?" Hyunwoo questioned one final time, to ensure that my response was going to be similar. 
"Yeah, I feel like walking," I only retained my eyesight on my tattered sneakers. "Thanks though."
With those ending string of words, I commenced to stride towards the direction of the house. This morning I sort of memorized the roads and streets I had to turn on so I could walk home instead of riding with him, when he should be his girlfriend's face off. Whatever disgusting things couples do now a days. 
I tugged on the straps of my backpack slower to me, then whipped out my iPod when I remembered I had it sitting in my pocket. One ear and then the other, earbuds were now interjecting the ruckus from the streets; honking, sobbing children, slight bickering, and laughter. My fingers pressed the shuffle button involuntarily, it was already a carved habit set in stone, and allowed my frustrations to slip between my fingertips to sail away. I couldn't possibly retain all of this aggression in this tiny body, I would implode from depression and violence, I didn't want to be anything like that pyscho girl. 
I reached the front door of the mansion in only a mere twenty minutes, or about seven songs; I enjoyed measuring time with units of music. As soon as I stepped inside, the maids were there to assist every action I was to complete. I shooed them away, muttering that they should be wasting their precious time on something more valuable and productive and that I could take care of myself. They only nodded their heads and were off to occupy themselves, with any ridiculous tasks his parents would assign. 
"How was your first day?" Grandmother questioned, placing her foot on the final step before reaching the ground floor. "Did it go well?" 
"Yeah," I lied through my teeth. I swear if I spoke one more false statement my teeth would shatter, or my nose would grow. 
"Were the people nice?" 
"Eh." I waved my hand side to side, in a so-so type of motion, hopefully she couldn't decipher my lies from my expressions. 
"It's okay, some people will see your personality and some are just thinking the world revolves around them," she carefully reached her hand out, her other supporting her against the wall, to pat my back in reassurance. "If you ever need someone to talk to, you know who to come to." Her delicate grin lifted her slight wrinkles, also her eyes forming into crescents, making her appear older but she was in great condition for her apparent age. 
"Thank you, for welcoming me and being sweet to me." I bowed fully before her, earning a slap on the back and her muttering that it was nothing she was doing, that it was out of the plethora of kindness that filled her heart. She then shooed me to my room to complete my endless assignments that were given today, she acknowledged the fact that I required nothing less than I strived for and I appreciated that, that she was attentive to my life and goals. I guess that was why I bonded with her the most out of the entire family. 
My room's fragrance of vanilla rushed to my senses, relaxing my beating heart and rising nerves. Today contained too much tension that really took it's toll when strolling home, when I had spared time to run over thoughts and the events that took place, I prayed the following days would be as agonizing and pestering. 
I rested my backpack on the bench that was tucked neatly under the vanity, then contemplated whether or not to make my way to the towering wardrobe and transfer into more comfortable clothing but the thought of work distracted me. There was no desk located in my room so instead used the vanity as one and cleared a path- pushing aside a jewelry box, some makeup brushes and pallets, and folded clothes- to place all of my new textbooks and notebooks. 
Page after page, some assignments were halfway completed, some not even touched and bothered with eraser and pencil markings, but it was a progress. I would have to practice my given song from piano class as well, but it wasn't too much of deal for me at the moment. Music played through my ears, blaring through my headphones, as I discovered it was the best remedy for my laziness and actually made me work quicker. 
As I was about to skip a song on my shuffle playlist, someone was video calling me and instead of clicking the skip arrow, an accept phone icon was pressed; now the phone displaying a moving Hanuel. He waved, muttered something under his breath while his eyes were focused away from me- or the phone if you will- and his free hand rubbing the back of his neck. I waved back at him, slowly becoming shy myself. 
"How was your day?" He questioned finally after a brief moment of silence from us both. 
"It was okay, thank you for asking. What about yours?" I realized I had tasks to fulfill and began scribbling answers on the papers below my rolling pencil. I had propped him against the mirror so he would view something more pleasant than the bottom of chin, and so I wouldn't have to carry the phone's weight in my hand. 
He raised his head once he heard my voice, "Oh, it was nice. Especially since I made a new friend." 
It was my turn to blush, the mirror in front of me displayed a more distorted version of myself; bright red cheeks, hair almost falling out of it's ponytail, strands of hair in my face, but nevertheless, he commented that I shouldn't worry about how I appeared and that I was still cute no matter what. Now my settled heart was rattling against my chest.