19

Bermuda Triangle

Play, Listen & Read

 

The rest of the days that the week consisted of rolled into multiple weeks then into months, until half of the school year was almost through. These months only contained assignments after endless assignments, Krystal continuously verbally threatening me over senseless things, Hyunwoo and I not even improving our relationship for the better- if he wasn't willing to place his heart out on the table, then I wasn't going to either, not even as friends- Hanuel and I sneaking to restaurants after school when I acknowledged that I had homework and cleaning to be done. Instead of arriving home at the typical time of 3:45, I entered the door at five maybe even a half hour later. Grandmother noticed this difference within my scedule but she didn't dare bring it up with ears and eyes trailing us, she still greeted me with a warm, kind smile. 
Hanuel and I became more than friends, maybe best friends was the better word selection, even partners in crime. He was always there to comfort me if Hyunwoo yelled at me, or when I was exhausted we would head to the beach to unwind and take a breather. I also learned more options that my phone had available, and soon became more technology savvy. But other than those factors, nothing really had altered greatly, my life was still miserable yet at least the boys at school didn't dare to bother me any longer. 
I had just completed the math packet that was assigned yesterday, Friday, that must be turned in on the following Monday for a test grade; I didn't sweat it, math was a subject that wasn't my strongest point but I got the work done. My body was aching and shrieking from the sudden movements of standing, sharp pains stabbing and tearing into my muscles but I didn't once complain at these frequent outbursts nor thought worse of them. Once the spasms have halted, I made my way to the kitchen to retrieve a glass of water. There they were, a nauseating sight to be seen that I bet they had planned when I was to walk downstairs, Krystal pecking at Hyunwoo's neck as he mashed his fingers on the keyboard of his laptop.   
She made a disgusted-sounding noise, to display her displeasing expression, eyeing me from head to toe. "Did you wash your nasty sneakers yet?" She snorted to herself, finding what she just spat utterly hilarious in her little world. 
"Why is it to your concern?" I turned around, from them to the silvery refrigerator, to search for any bottles of water until my fingers grasped onto the lid of one. The cap clicked before fully opening to allow me a crisp, refreshing drink; all while she retained her eyes on Hyunwoo's features and me leaning against the enormous appliance that I wiped down before she came. 
"Oh," she clasped her hands together, a look of temporary and false astonishment written all over her face. "Hyunwoo didn't tell you?"
My eyes were internally rolling over a thousand times per second, I probably could see my brain if I attempted to again. An irritated sigh exhaled out of my body, my eyes half-lidded to equal the plethora of disinterest that was devouring me whole. "Oh, no. I guess he didn't." My sarcastic response earned me a glare from her, not that I could give a anyways. 
"Well," she cleared her voice, as if she had the most important subject to speak of. "Tomorrow, Hyunwoo's parents are holding a feast for a company from China." She continued on to babble about the vague but many details; time, formal dressing, and other words that jumbled in one ear and exited the other. 
"Okay?" Hopefully that signaled her to get to the point. 
Hyunwoo's attention rose and was momentarily on Krystal, a smirk tugging at the corner of , then on me. My heart wasn't beating before, or I didn't feel it, but now, it was racing, racing against time, in a competition that I wanted it to lose in. 
Krystal arms collapsed and crossed over her chest while she sauntered away from her seat and stood before me, to get to the fridge; which I allowed her by moving out of the way. She retreived a water bottle, sister to mine, and took a shallow sip before announcing what she was preparing me for. The suspense was killing me, the wasted seconds were shooting arrows, darts, bullets into my heart. 
"That's when we will announce our engagement."