Chapter 2

Always By Your Side
 
 
 
 
 
"You can do it, Key! For us?" His boyfriend for 6 months, Kim Jonghyun said as they walked together to class.
 
 
"Jjong, I couldn't just gather all of them and tell them "Hey Appa, I'm gay since who knows how long and I have a boyfriend." That's just doesn't work that way.." He sighed.
 
 
Jonghyun stopped in his tracks. "Is that how little you treasure this relationship? I know I'm being irrational right now but if you love me, you'd do this for us." He raised his voice a bit, gathering some unwanted attention. He then left Kibum on his own.
 
 
"I love you. And I'm gonna do this for you, just like you wanted." Kibum whispered, silently praying for his decision.
 
 
 

 
He gathers his family one day, saying he has something to announce. He's already 18. And he's been considering to come out for a long time. The things Jonghyun save gave him the boost he needed to do this.
 
 
 
He shrinks down in his seat because of the 3 pairs of eyes staring at him. "What is it, Kibum? What are you going to announce?" His stepmother asked with a smile on her face.
 
 
He gulps and fiddled his fingers. "Appa," He took a deep breath. "I have a boyfriend."
 
 
The room fell silent and he began to feel nervous. He's surprised when his father suddenly chuckled. "What joke are you saying, son? Your friends made you do this right? Aigoo, kids these days. Okay, where is the recorder?"
 
 
He shook his head, gesturing no. "No one made me do this. It's true, Appa."
 
 
"What did you just say?" His father said in a serious tone, any trace of smiles disappeared.
 
 
He took a deep breath and look at his father in the eye. "It's true, Appa. I am gay and I have a boyfriend."
 
 
 
But things aren't going the way he planned. He had expected his father to be happy for him, that he found someone. 
 
 
 
"WHAT ARE YOU — I DIDN'T RAISE A SON TO BECOME GAY." His father's tone raised and slapped him in the process. "Leave. And don't think of coming back. You are no longer a part of this family." He said and walked away.
 
 
 
Did he just got disowned? Because of his uality?
 
 
 
His stepmother was too stunned to say a word as tears fall from her beautiful eyes. Minho didn't say anything and just kept being quiet like Kibum told him to. He knows everything right from the start. And he backed up Kibum when he would do tiny slip-ups with his excuses.
 
 
 
He makes a way to his room, packs his clothes and left without a single word.
 
 
 
A part of him knows that this will happen. But another part of him wishes that his father would change his mind. He loves his family. But he also love Jonghyun. He makes his way to Jonghyun's apartment, knowing that it's the only place he can go.
 
 
"Jjong...pick up the phone.." Kibum mumbled as he made his way to the bus stop.
 
 
Hi, this is Jonghyun! I'm out so just leave a message! Annyeong. The call is always sent to voice mail. He knows Jonghyun doesn't have any plans for today so it's unlikely for him to be busy.
 
 
Kibum sighed. "Why doesn't he pick up his phone whenever I need him? Aish."


 
"Aish.. Why do I have a lot of clothes... It's so heavy." Kibum pulls his suitcase full of clothes up the stairs. "Damn, elevator. Why did it have to be on maintenance today?"
 
 
He arrives at the floor and walked down the hallway. "319.. 320.. 321! Here it is. God. It took me a long time to get here." He puts down his bags, knocks on the door and waits for Jonghyun to open up.
 
 
 
But what he didn't expect was someone unfamiliar would welcome him. More specifically, a girl in a loose shirt and bedhair.
 
 
 
"Oh hi! Jonghyun is on the shower. He didn't even tell me he was expecting someone." Her pitchy voice made Kibum sick.
 
 
"Oh." It was the only thing that escaped his mouth.
 
 
The bedhaired-girl (as Kibum called her), opens up the door widely. "Come in. Just wait for Jonghyun in the living room."
 
 
"I don't think —" And the next thing that happened is even more sickening.
 
 
Jonghyun appears in the room, in his PJs, obviously fresh from the shower. "Se Kyung-ah, are you talking to someone? Let's watch a - oh Kibum. I can explain."
 
 
"Hi, Jonghyun. Thanks for everything, you ." Kibum said, grabbing his bags and left the apartment without looking back.
 
 
 
He cries on his way out of the building and realizes that they were over. He had no one now. That one person who promised to never leave him ended up cheating with a girl. He learns another lesson and thinks that maybe Life is ing up with him.
 
 
 
"I love you, Key. And I'll never ever leave you." Jonghyun promised.
 
 
 
At the age of 18, Kibum learns that promises are made to be broken.

 
 
 
 


 

 
He bawls his eyes out as he wanders the streets of Seoul. He doesn't even know where he is but he didn't care. It's already night and he knows how dangerous these streets can be — not like anyone cared for him. No one would even know if he disappear.
 
 
 
He arrives in a small park by Hangang River, sitting in one of the bench by the fountain. It's pretty chilly for a summer night and all he have is the thin scarf handwoven by his stepmother. He softly breathes in through the fabric, enjoying the lingering smell of home. He continues to cry that he didn't even notice the person standing before him.
 
 
 
"What does a boy like you doing here at this late at night?" Kibum quickly wipes his tears, looking up to the man in front of him. "I'm Jinki. What's your name?"
 
 
"Kibum." The man named Jinki laughs. And Kibum thought he was hearing music.
 
 
"Relax, Kibum. It's not like I'll hurt you." Jinki sits beside Kibum, gazing up in the sky. "What are you doing here, Kibum? You're not a runaway, are you?" He said, gesturing at the big suitcase Kibum has.
 
 
"Not a runaway. But my father told me to leave. Technically, I'm homeless. You?"
 
 
"Taking a walk. Today's pretty tough." Jinki shifts his gaze to Kibum. "But enough of me. Tell me more about you, Kibum."
 
 
That intrigued Kibum. Why would this man want to know him? "Why do I have to tell you more about me?"
 
 
Jinki simply smiles. "You interest me."
 
 
 
After their conversation full of complains and tears, Jinki learned many things about Kibum. Basically the things that happened that day. In return, Kibum also learned that Jinki is 6 years older than him. A young business man that recently transferred from America.
 
 
 
And he didn't even expect that by the end of his ty day, he had a place to go.
 
 
 
"Kibum?"
 
 
"Ne Jinki-ssi?"
 
 
"Come and live with me." By the way Jinki said it, it wasn't an offer or an invitation. It was like he really wants Kibum to live with him. "I know I'm a stranger and all but I can assure you, I'm not a bad man. I swear this is the first time I did this. I just couldn't leave you out here with no place to go."
 
 
Kibum knows it's not normal if he agrees. But something about those hazel brown eyes are pulling him. "Okay." He answers.
 
 
Jinki then stood up, offering his hand for Kibum to take. "Let's go home. It's already close to midnight. I'm sure you're tired since you had a long day."
 
 
 
Kibum takes his hand, pulling his suitcase with him. Jinki's hands are soft and warm, like a warm support he needed to end his cold and ty day. And they walked to his new home, with thoughts of living with Jinki and his future that awaits.