Chapter 16

Always By Your Side

 

 

- 5 Years Later -


 

Jinki, Sorry for missing our date last night. There's an emergency at our ward last night and you know I just can't leave that easily. I made this breakfast as a form of apology and I hope you like it. I promise I'll make it up to you. I love you.

- Kibum ♡

 

Jinki sighed as he read the note. He woke up at 7 in the morning, no traces of Kibum except this note and a plate of English breakfast.

 

It's been awhile since their last date night and Kibum missed it. He knows he should just understand the younger's situation, knowing that he's a newly-graduate Doctor that needs to work his way up.

 

But deep inside, Jinki just couldn't help but to feel very upset.
 

 



 

Jinki sat nervously on the restaurant he booked for tonight. He missed having dinner dates with Kibum. The younger never actually had the time to do anything in leisure since he was struggling with his new job as a doctor in Seoul Hospital. Kibum is pretty lucky to land a job at a prestigious hospital with zero experience. Everyone would kill for that job.

 

The job was actually handed to Kibum even before he graduated, just after he finished his internship. It was one of the perks of being one of the outstanding students in his batch. You can never guess how proud Jinki is of his boyfriend.

 

After that hospital incident 5 years ago, Kibum continued on living with Jinki while pursuing his studies. Well, Jinki insisted and his parents approved, knowing that Jinki will always be there for Kibum. It was one of the joys in his life where he would come home to Kibum's homemade cooking, Kibum working on a homework and also to a Kibum sleeping at his couch when Jinki will be home at the wee hours of night.

 

Living with Kibum in that 5 years brought them closer than ever. Of course there was their ups and downs. They also fought over small and trivial things. Some even because of jealousy and anger. But in the end of every argument, they learned a new lesson. A lesson that they both knew they will use in the future.

 

Those 5 years are the most memorable years in his life. And he's really thankful that he decided to take a walk on that faithful night, almost 7 years ago.

 

Back to the present time, Jinki fidgets in his seat. It will only be a few minutes before Kibum will arrive. He made double-checked everything to ensure that it's perfect. From the menu to what wine will be served. He made sure everything was to Kibum's liking, since he missed smothering the younger.

 

Will he like the food?

 

Will he like what I wore tonight?

 

Questions like this fill Jinki's mind, his heart beat racing as the minutes pass. Sooner or later, Kibum will arrive. And he's ready for whatever's gonna happen tonight.

 

And before he knew it, it's already time.
 

 



 

For the past 5 years, Jinki never got tired of Kibum's cooking. He's just the best there ever is, even better than his mother.

 

He slowly ate his breakfast, enjoying the food the younger made for him. As he reminisced the past, he began to realize that he already missed the younger, too much that it hurts. They were supposed to be eating breakfast together, talking about the latest news and whatsoever. The silence of the room slowly kills him, making him miss Kibum's smile and laugh as they eat together, looking forward to a new day.

 

These were the times he hated Kibum's job, wishing he picked a different profession instead.

 

 


 

 

He's been waiting for the past hour, worrying about Kibum. He was supposed to be here already. There were no responses to his texts and no answers to his calls. He prayed to God that nothing bad happened to the younger.

 

After what seemed like eternity, Jinki's phone lit up, Kibum's name appearing on the screen. He quickly opened the message, not missing a single beat.

 

I'm very sorry, Jinki. I coudn't come tonight. I'm really really sorry. Something happened here and they need more doctors to help. I'll make it up to you. I need to go. Bye. I love you :*

 

He silently pocketed his phone, stood up and left the restaurant. He cursed mentally, asking why today of all days does that emergency has to happen. When he was supposed to take their relationship to the next level.

 

He walked to his car, a small velvet box in his pocket left untouched.
 

 



 

Jinki never felt so drained when it comes to work, except for that one time Kibum left and he fell unconscious. Right now, everything seemed to be teaming up in making Jinki feel even more miserable. After that failed dinner date slash supposed to be proposal last night, he managed to send in a wrong report, miscalculate a project's budget (it could've cost the company millions) and also spill brewed coffee on his crisp white shirt. Talk about the king of misfortunes.

 

All he wants to do is to go home and lay on his fluffy bed. He was sure Kibum would still be on his duty, probably doing his rounds at this time. The thought of going home to an empty house sends chills to his spine. He didn't want to go back to the times before he met Kibum.

 

The rest of the day went uneventful for him, much to his delight. He sighed as he took his briefcase and walked towards the elevator. He began to think when will he ever had the chance to pop the question to Kibum. He's been planning of proposing to Kibum a few months ago. His family knew and he even asked permission from Kibum's family.

 

Maybe my timing was off, he thought. His phone buzzed, suddenly snapping him from his trance. A new message, it says and he smiled knowing it was from Kibum.

 

Hey, yeobo. Are you finished with work? I got off really earlier than expected. I'm at home waiting for you. Drive carefully, okay? I love you.

 

Excitement flowed in Jinki's veins. Maybe this was his reward for going through a hell of a day. At last, a time alone with Kibum. He took the velvet box lying in his suit pocket and opened it. His eyes silently admiring the beautiful ring placed inside. A ring that was supposed to be given to the younger last night. Jinki contemplates if he should invite the younger out for dinner and maybe, just maybe, propose right then and there.

 

He drove off carefully, his mind dismissing the said idea.

 

There's a right time for everything, he whispers to the thin air.


 


 

 

A/N: This was supposed to be the part one of the epilogue, but it turned out to be another chapter. *throws confetti*