Chapter 5

Always By Your Side

 


 


 

3 months later, Jinki invites Kibum to go for a short walk. He was very reluctant to join him at first, knowing that certain feelings will surface. He doesn't want to be more obvious than he already was.

 

 

 

It's a chilly night in early December, with tiny fragments of snow falling down from the sky. It makes him wonder why Jinki wants to take a walk at such a very cold night. He wraps his coat closer to his body, hoping it would lessen the chills he got every now and then.

 

 

 

"You feeling cold?" He sees Jinki with a smile on his face.

 

 

"Cold is an understatement, yeonggam. I'm freezing here. Why did you have to invite me for a walk at such a cold night?" He pouted. Jinki heartily laughs as he pulls Kibum by his waist, holding him closer as they walked towards their destination.

 

 

"I hope this lessens the coldness you feel." Kibum could feel his cheeks heat up and he could only nod in reply. "Awww~ Kibummie is blushing!"

Kibum fasten his pace, almost dragging Jinki in the process. "Shut up, yeonggam. Let's just walk so that this is over with."

 

 

 

Kibum has a love-hate relationship with their current status right now. They were like a couple. But he knows they were nowhere near that. And it since he already confirmed the feelings he had, through the help of Taemin.

 

 

 

He was in love once again. But now, with the most wonderful person in the world.

 

 

 

"You don't hate me, do you?" Jinki asks as they arrived at the park they first met.

 

 

Kibum was taken aback by his question. "What are you saying? Me? Hating you? Next joke, yeonggam. Shouldn't I be saying that to you?"

 

 

Jinki slumps on the bench. "You're wonderful and I couldn't hate you. It's just that.. I don't want you to hate me."

 

 

"Why do you say so?" He asks, but The older isn't willing to answer his question.

 

 

Jinki holds his hand and looks at him in the eyes. "Do you think of going back home?"

 

 

The younger ponders for a few seconds, before nodding. "I miss my family."

 

 

 

He misses how Minho would nag him about buying this or buying that.

 

 

"You went shopping again?" Minho asked when he opened Kibum's room and saw a bunch of paper bags on the floor.

 

 

Kibum nodded and showed him a few accessories he got. "They're so pretty, don't you think?"

 

 

"I swear, you'll be needing a new closet by the end of the year if this goes on." He said in a serious tone.

 

 

"But it's so pretty." Kibum pouted, one of Minho's weakness when it comes to his brother.

 

 

"Okay okay. Aigoo.. I couldn't change your habits." The younger said dramatically but then smiled. "Got anything for me?"

 

 

"Of course! I couldn't forget my brother! Here!" Kibum said, handing a few shirts he bought for the other. "Hope you like it, Minho."

 

 

 

He misses how his stepmother and him would protect their so-called territory aka the kitchen.

 

 

 

"Minho! Did you dare to make a mess in my territory?" Kibum raged at how messy the kitchen looks like. Pans and utensils not in their proper places, crumbs on the breakfast nook, and dirty dishes on the sink.

 

 

His umma who heard what he just said, appeared on the doorway. "What did Minho just did?"

 

 

Kibum pointed out all the mess his brother made, slightly praying for his brother's quick punishment. "Minho! Come down here this instant!"

 

 

Out of all the things Minkyung-umma doesn't like, it was a dirty kitchen. "Ne, umma?" Minho asked.

 

 

"Clean this mess. I want this sparkling clean."

 

 

"But —"

 

 

"No buts, mister. You know how I react with dirty kitchens." Minho could only shake his head in defeat, staring at his umma's retreating figure with Kibum's snickers on the background.

 

 

 

He misses how his father would look at him and smile like he was so proud of his son.

 

 

 

When Kibum graduated Middle School, he was in the top of his class. Something his Appa is really proud of.

 

 

'For the Top student address, may I call on Mr. Kim Kibum in front.'

 

 

You could never guess how big his smile is when Kibum took the stage and began his speech for his schoolmates.

 

 

 

He misses all the memories they used to share, all the smiles and laughters.

 

 

 

He wants to go back. But he doesn't want to leave the things he had right now. A new life, new friends, and his savior, Lee Jinki.

 

 

 

"Kibummie? Why are you crying?" He doesn't even know he's already crying until Jinki softly wipes his tears and pulls him into a hug.

 

 

"It's just t-that...I realized I had no one now." Kibum chokes between his sobs.

 

 

Jinki pulled him even closer. "Ssh. I'm here. I'll always be here."

 

 

"Thank you, Jinki. What can I do to repay you?"

 

 

The older pulls away from the hug and looks at Kibum straight in the eye. "You just have to promise me one thing."

 

 

"What is it?"

 

 

"Don't leave me."

 

 

 

Kibum hugged Jinki, mumbling a thousand yes in his arms. For now, they knew they have each other.

 

 

 

 



 

 

 

 

It's already been 11 months since he left his home and lived with Jinki. He suddenly realizes he doesn't knew that much when it comes to the older except his job and tiny bits from his family. He doesn't even know what kind of childhood did Jinki have. 

 

 

 

Is it like his? Full of quarrels and anger from his parents' side? Or a happy one like what he had been dreaming of?

 

 

 

And he knows who can he approach for help, his son, Lee Taemin.

 

 

 

"What kind of childhood did your hyung had?" Kibum asked, curious of what Taemin's answer might be.

 

 

"Jinki hyung?"

 

 

"Obviously, yes."

 

 

"He actually doesn't do that much. He's so into studying since he was young. And all he could talk about all day is school, school, and school. Boring childhood if you'd ask me by the way." Taemin answered casually.

 

 

Kibum wonders why did Jinki kept his childhood from him. "Really? But he looked like someone who had a bright childhood. You know, like his smile brightens up everyone's day."

 

 

"You never know, hyung. He's the first son of the Chairman of Lee Industries. He's trained to be the heir. I'm so lucky I had Jinki hyung. Or else I would've suffered that kind of childhood."

 

 

"I guess so."

 

 

"Anyways, if you'd like to know more, why don't you ask him yourself? I'm sure he couldn't resist you." The younger said, finishing his frappe.

 

 

"You know, umma, I'm actually surprised you're very close to him, knowing that you two only met barely a year ago. He was never like this before." The younger added.


 

Turns out, Taemin's right about asking Jinki. He cornered the older one night when they were watching a movie and Jinki knows he can't escape those curious eyes longing for an answer.

 

 

 

"Jinki."

 

 

"Ne?"

 

 

"Could you tell me more about you? I mean, about how did you spent your childhood days. You know since I told you mine, I think it's just right for you to tell me yours — not that I'm forcing you to."

 

 

"Okay."

 

 

 

Jinki then starts telling his story. How he was brought up to be perfect in everyone's eyes. How he managed to meet their high expectations about him. And how he coped being alone all the way.

 

 

 

By the end of the story, he concluded that it was indeed a sad childhood. In some ways, their pasts are similar. Jinki being alone because his parents have no time for their son and him being alone in the confines of his room, hearing the angry yelling of his parents in the background. 

 

 

 

They were both alone. And maybe that's one thing that brought them closer. They felt each other's pain and mended each other's wounds.

 

 

 

Lee Jinki is still mysterious in Kim Kibum's eyes. But he decided it was a matter only time could resolve.