Chapter 7

Always By Your Side

 


 


 

A day which he didn't expect came. It was just a normal Saturday for the both of them. Kibum will clean the house and Jinki will be busy with his take-home work while teasing the latter all-day long. But this day has its own surprise for Kim Kibum.

 

 

 

He was tidying the mess they made at last night's movie night when he heard the doorbell ring. He chuckled as he made his way to the door, thinking that this was the 3rd time Jinki forgot his keys for the past week (he might lecture the older about this later).

 

 

 

"Welcome back yeo —" He quickly shuts his mouth as he noticed that this was indeed, not Jinki but a lady in her late 40s and bowed politely. 

 

 

"Annyeong Haseyo."

 

 

The said lady smiled, her eyes forming into tiny crescents — something very familiar. "You must be Kibum. I heard many things about you from my son."

 

 

Kibum was confused. "I hope you don't mind me asking. Who are you?"

 

 

And the answer he got drained the color from his face. "I'm Jinki and Taemin's mother. Nice to meet you, Kim Kibum."

 

 

 

He suddenly remembers what he's wearing right now. He's still in his comfortable PJs, hair unstyled, and don't forget that pink apron tied on his waist. Way to go for first impressions.

 

 

 

"A-ahh. C-come in...Jinki hyung's still out for grocery. I hope you don't mind waiting." He led the lady, now known as Jinki's mother, to the living room. "Would you like something to drink?"

 

 

"I could use a cup of tea if you don't mind. Jinki once told me you made the best tea he had in his whole life." She smiled. Now he knows where Jinki got his eye-blinding smile.

 

 

"Of course, ma'am. If you w-would excuse me." He cursed himself for stuttering. He already flunked the appearance impression. Now his tongue is betraying him.

 

 

"No need to call me ma'am. You can call me umma if you like. As I said, Taemin and Jinki always talks about you. It's like I have known you for a long time ago." He could only nod in return and scurried to the kitchen, hoping he could make tea properly.

 

 

 

He began to take out the things he would use in making the drink. Trusting his instincts, he went to make the kind of tea his umma would always enjoy. He smiles bitterly at how he remembers the times he would make his umma her tea and how his umma would smile after taking the first sip, thanking Kibum for a well-made tea.

 

 

 

He went back to Jinki's mother and handed her the cup of tea and sat in front of her. He fiddled his fingers as he watches her took a sip from the drink. "Hmm.. Jinki didn't lie. This is one of the best tea I've ever had."

 

 

"Thank you, u-umma. My mother used to enjoy tea like this."

 

 

"Really? You two must've been close."

 

 

"Yes. We used to have tea times back then."

 

 

"I wish I could have a son like you. Aigoo. Jinki's always busy when he went back from America. And Taemin.. that boy's becoming more like his brother. He's always too busy for bonding with me."

 

 

"Is that so? Well you co —" He stopped speaking as he heard the front door opened.

 

 

"Kibummie~ I'm home!" Jinki announced, loud enough to echo in the whole house. His face flushed in embarrassment as Jinki's umma holds her giggles and wear this I-know-something smile.

 

 

 

Why does Jinki have to use that nickname at a wrong time?

 

 

 

Jinki's footsteps are getting nearer and the rustle of the grocery bags he carried were heard. "Bummie?" He arrives at the living room, seeing Kibum blushing and his mother smiling in the sidelines. "Umma! What are you doing here?"

 

 

"Why? Can't I visit my son? And I'm very curious about Kibum." She said in a teasing tone.

 

 

Jinki shakes his head. "You should've at least called. We would've prepared something."

 

 

"Eyyy. You know it's fine. I'm not staying for that long anyways. I'm just having a chat with Kibum here. You never told me he looks this pretty. You know, your descriptions about him didn't do any justice."

 

 

"Umma~" He took a sit beside his mother. "Stop embarrassing me." He mumbled.

 

 

His mother laugh and said. "Oops, my bad. I should be going. Thanks for the tea, Kibum." He opened her purse and took out a business card. "Call me anytime you're available. We'll go shopping."

 

 

She hands the business card and Kibum took it with shaking hands. "Y-you didn't h-have to."

 

 

"Awww~ but my sons aren't willing to shop with me. I know you love to shop so I won't be taking no as an answer."

 

 

Jinki then stands up, sliding an arm on Kibum's ahoulders. "Take it. Or else she would bug me or Taemin. You know how we are in shopping."

 

 

"O-okay, umma. I'll let y-you know w-when I'm available."

 

 

"Good." She walks away, not before stopping in front of Jinki. She leaned closer and whispered in his ear. "Take care, son. And this one's a catch."

 

 

 

Kibum might think first impressions will last. But for Jinki's umma, it's more important to see what a person has inside. And she knows Kibum is a perfect match for his son.

 

 

 


 


 

 

 


 

Kibum didn't know that their next meeting was gonna be sooner than expected.

 

 

 

After 2 days, he found himself excused from work when Jinki's mother came to the office — unannounced. She surprisingly dropped by the office, talked to Jinki in his office for a few minutes, and excitedly went out with a large smile in her face, declaring that he's about to take Kibum out. Just the two of them.

 

 

 

She was bored, she says. But Jinki knew better that she really just wants to be close to the apple of his eye, Kibum. Blame Taemin and his mouth in spilling the beans to his umma.

 

 

"Let's go, Kibum?" She asks.

 

 

"Ne, u-umma." He stuttered out.

 

 

She then turns to Jinki, announcing their leave. "I'll bring back Kibum in time for dinner at your place. And don't worry, I'll take care of him. Bye! I could already hear the shops calling us." Jinki could only shake his head in amusement as he bid them goodbye.

 

 

 

Jinki's mother was dressed in casual this time. Unlike last week's semi formal ensemble. And Kibum found her looking younger than her age when dressed like this.

 

 

 

They arrived at Hongdae, a place where he used to shop all the time. Well, it's not like he didn't like Myeongdong or Dongdaemun. He just liked the atmosphere here in Hongdae.

 

 

 

"What should we try first? You pick, Kibum."

 

 

He ponders for a second before answering. "We could shop for tops?"

 

 

"Good idea. Aigoo. I'm really excited." She says, walking into a shop where the clothes are something Kibum couldn't really afford for now.

Jinki's umma noticed that Kibum just stood awkwardly by her side. "Why don't you try on something, Kibum?"

 

 

"I'm fine, umma. I'm not really that into shopping right now."

 

 

"If you're thinking about the price, just go and get what you want. It's on me." She smiled.

 

 

Kibum rejected the offer. But just like Jinki's umma said, she'll doesn't take no as an answer. "Please, Kibum. For me? I had no one to spoil with shopping trips. As if Taemin and Jinki will accompany me."

 

 

 

And that's when he realized where Jinki got his convincing abilities.