Chapter 10

Always By Your Side

 

 


 


 

"I miss you, Kibum."

 

 

 

As Kibum's stepmother said those words, Jinki felt Kibum stiffen in his seat. He also noticed that the younger keeps on playing with his fingers, probably distracting himself from the nervous feeling he felt.

 

 

 

Kibum took a deep breath before saying, "Me too, umma. Me too."

 

 

 

Jinki knows the words he's fearing was next.

 

 

 

"Then come back."

 

 

 

Those words came unexpected for Kibum. He wants to. But at the same time, he doesn't want to. There's this conflicting feeling inside of him that makes it difficult for him to speak— moreover, decide what he wants. He wants both his family and his new life with Jinki. Can he be selfish just this once?

 

 

 

But what could he do? He doesn't even know if Jinki feels the same for him. And his thoughts went back to the time his father disowned him for loving another guy. What if his father knows that he did it once again? He doesn't want to experience the same thing over again. It was enough for him to undergo the pain like before.

 

 

 

"I can't, umma." He said, his head hung low. "You know Appa doesn't want me here. I'm sorry."

 

 

"But —"

 

 

"You're wrong." His father entered the living room. "You'll always be welcomed here."

 

 

"Appa...." Kibum couldn't believe what he just heard as his tears fell. Did his father....welcomed him back?

 

 

"My son is always welcomed here." His father spread his arms wide. "Now where's my hug?"

 

 

 

Kibum hurriedly stood up and hugged his father. How he missed this. The warmth and security he feels with his father's arms around him. He never thought he'll be able to feel this again.

 

 

 

"I'm sorry, Kibum. I shouldn't have said those words to you back then. I was wrong. And those months without you here made me realize how lacking I am as your father. I should've accepted you as you are. But instead I said rude words and chase you out." Kibum felt his father's arms tighten around him. "Can you forgive this worthless father? I missed you so much."

 

 

Even once, Kibum didn't even hate his father for what he had done. "I was never mad at you in the first place, appa."

 

 

"Now that this is settled, why don't you come back and live here again?" Kibum's umma asked once again.

 

 

But Kibum's answer surprised not only his family but also Jinki. "I'm sorry, umma. Believe me when I say I really want to. But I couldn't just leave what I have right now."

 

 

"K-Kibum...what are you saying?" It was Jinki's turn to ask.

 

 

"I said I'm not going to go back. For all of my life, I always depended on my parents. But now, I earned my own money and can live alone. I'm not saying this because of what happened. But because for once in my life, I felt independent. If you're thinking about school, I can continue it by the next school year. But please, let me decide for myself right now."

 

 

"Very well then. It's up to you. But whenever you feel like coming back, the door will always be open for you." His father said, giving his shoulder a pat.

 

 

 

The rest of the day went well, like fun times before. And Jinki being there with Kibum adds a whole lot to the fun. But he knows Jinki is bothered about something. He could totally read the older like the back of his hand. And he doesn't have even a single clue of what it is.

 

 

 

"Remember what your appa said earlier. You're always welcomed here. Take care both of you, ne? Bye." His stepmother waved as Jinki and Kibum walked down the path to Jinki's car.

 

 

"Of course, umma. You too. Bye."
 

 

 


 


 

 

 


 

The drive back was awfully silent and awkward. Once they left Kibum's house, none of them even said a word. Both of them could feel the heavy tension in the atmosphere. Both wanting to start a conversation and talk. But only the sound from the radio can be heard.

 

 

 

Jinki focused on the road while Kibum keeps fiddling his fingers. A lot of things had happened today. It was all good fortunately, but some are surprising. Jinki keeps on thinking of a reason why would Kibum reject going back. He knows the younger had always wanted this.

 

 

 

A part of him is puzzled about Kibum's decision. Although the younger had said it himself that he doesn't want to go back, he feels like this is too good to be true. Another part of him is happy because at least Kibum isn't leaving his side. He knows it was a selfish thought. Knowing that he was originally a stranger to Kibum who just gave shelter, food and necessities to the latter. 

 

 

 

He's not even gonna blame Kibum's parents if they weren't trusting him with Kibum. To them, he may be someone with ill-intentions. He's a stranger. And he knows that's what he really is.

 

 

 

"Good night, Kibum." It was his last words to the latter before going inside his room, only to break down the second he locks the door.


 

On the other side of the door, Kibum whispers a faint good night and I love you, before sighing and entering his room. And now, he's having second thoughts, whether he made the right decision or not.