Chapter 17

Always By Your Side



 

Jinki carefully parked the car on the basement parking of the building where they lived. Now, only a few set of floors are separating him from Kibum. He slowly calmed himself as he feel his heart race. Maybe it was because of excitement to spend time with his lover. He chuckled to himself as he rode the elevator up to the penthouse, thinking that he really couldn't go on for days without Kibum.

 

The younger must've been his oxygen or the sun in his sky. He was in a trance by the time the door opened. Few steps more and he will be with Kibum. He walked to their door with shaky legs. And with trembling hands, he slowly opened the door. 

 

"I'm home!" he says, taking off his shoes by the doorway. "Yeobo?"

 

Dim lights lit up the living room. And there he heard the sound of bustling, erratic footsteps and mumbled curses. He chuckled upon thinking what Kibum has been up to.

 

The younger emerged to the room, with his pink apron and a spatula in hand. "Welcome home, yeobo. How was work?"

"As usual.." He smiled, thinking about that time years ago when he also came home to Kibum like this and joked that they looked like a married couple. "You know, I think I already see this scene before."

"Yup. It's the part where you should joke about how we look like newlyweds." Kibum smiled and walked over to Jinki, hugging him so tight. "I just finished cooking the food and it's your favorite. Why don't you go and wash up?"

 

Jinki hugs him back and whispered, "You're the best." And kissed him on his neck, just below the ear.

 

They both pulled away from the hug and Kibum pushed Jinki towards their room, motioning him to get going. The older just smiled, cherishing moments like these.

 

As Jinki showered, Kibum took the opportunity to pick clothes for the older to wear. He settled on their matching pajamas and also changed into his. Jinki seemed on doing one of his old habits once again, seeing that he didn't put his clothes on the laundry basket. The younger took the liberty on putting it himself when he suddenly felt something on one of the pockets of Jinki's suit. Something solid and small. Something like a small box. He quickly took whatever the thing is, only to be left shocked by what he sees.

 

A small velvet jewelry box.

 

His heart raced at the thought of whatever is inside. Something this small only left him to the conclusion of an earring or a ring inside. He didn't want to pry but his curiosity pushes him to open the box. And when he was about to, the box was suddenly yanked out of his hand.

 

An awkward silence filled the room. Jinki and Kibum both felt the tension rising. To be honest, Kibum was scared if Jinki was mad. And he could only let out a soft "I'll wait for you on the dining area" and he's out of the room.

 

Jinki, on the other side, was nervous. How come he could be so careless to leave the box on his suit, knowing that Kibum will put his clothes to the laundry basket. He noticed the pajamas laid out on their bed and quickly put it on, not wanting to make Kibum wait any longer.

 

The secret is out and all he needs to do is to gather courage and ask for his hand in marriage.


 

 

What should I do? What should I do? What should I do?

 

Kibum panics at the thought of Jinki getting mad. Tonight was supposed to be perfect. He cooked Jinki's favorite meal, made his favorite dessert and planned a very cozy movie night with the movies the older liked. He mentally cursed his curiosity. If only he didn't took the older's suit.

 

Now, the thing that is inside the box is making him go crazy. 

 

He's nervous. What if it was really a ring? Is Jinki proposing to him? It wasn't really a big deal since all he could see in his future was a future with Lee Jinki. He smiled dreamily at the thought of getting married with Jinki, having a small family with maybe one or two kids.

 

But on the other hand, what if it isn't? What if it was just a mere present? Or what if it wasn't really his to begin with? He knows he should stop making assumptions. It will only make him feel disappointed when the the truth comes out and it isn't what he thought of.

 

Kibum succumbed to a train of thoughts. He's in the kitchen, standing like his feet was glued to the ground. He could feel conflict inside of him. He sighed, knowing that he's stressing himself out with some petty issue.

 

But is it really a petty issue?

 

A warms pair of arms encircle on his waist, waking him up to the reality. A warms pair of arms he would always recognize — Lee Jinki's.

 

"I'm sorry I was just about to set the table. Just wait for a second, okay?" he says, trying to escape from the back hug.

Jinki didn't budge and instead, he tightened the hug. "Let's stay like this for a while, hmm?" His gentle voice soothing Kibum's tensed body. "I missed you so much, Kim Kibum."

The younger's ears perked up at the mention of his full name. "I missed you too, Lee Jinki."

 

They stayed like that for a few more moments, before Jinki pulled away and motioning Kibum to face him. Jinki admired how mesmerizing the latter's eyes were. And he couldn't help but close the gap that separates their lips.

 

The two of them just stood there in the middle of the kitchen, Jinki's hands on Kibum's waist and Kibum's on Jinki's neck. Both of them truly missed the feeling of each other's lips. It was just like their first ever kiss. Something innocent, but extremely magical.

 

Jinki pulled away after some time and looked at Kibum straight in the eye. His mind thinking how lucky he was having someone like Kim Kibum in his life. Kibum, on the other hand, was feeling happy and complete. His mind completely forgot the fact that he was panicking just a few minutes before.

 

The older then came to the decision, it's time.

 

"Yeobo, can I ask you something?" Jinki says and Kibum replied with a nod. "We've been together for like 5 years, right?"

The feeling of being nervous once again struck Kibum. "Y-yes. Why did you ask?"

The older backed away one step from Kibum, earning a very confused stare from the younger. "Those five years are the ones I will never ever forget. Having you is the best thing that's ever happened to me. And I'm really thankful that even if I'm lacking, you still accepted me for who I am. Not the business man Lee Jinki, but the Lee Jinki who is lost and afraid."

He then knelt on the ground on one knee, his hands fishing out the small velvet box. He slowly opened the box and there sits a very beautiful ring. "All I can see in my future is you and if you want to, I want both of us to take a big step in our relationship. Will you, Kim Kibum, marry me?"

 

Kibum was left speechless by the sudden proposal. It's as if he didn't think of this, moments ago. Now, his mind is totally blank. But he couldn't deny the fact that he was really happy inside.

 

Flashes of their future together ran on the younger's mind. Their wedding as the start to the time where they are sitting on their front porch, thinking what a wonderful life they had together.

 

It was obvious what his answer will be.

 

"O-of...course." He replied.

 

Jinki couldn't believe what he just heard. Did Kibum just said yes? "Are you sure? I don't want to force you into anything, Yeobo. I can wait until you are truly ready."

Kibum smiled at the gentleness in front of him that is Jinki. "Yes, Jinki. I will marry you." He answers and Jinki just knows it's the truth he's speaking.

 

Jinki picks up the ring, his hand shaking in the process. Kibum let out a small chuckle at Jinki's obvious nervousness. The older then placed the ring on Kibum's ring finger and he never thought he would see such a beautiful sight.

 

After that, he stood up and hugged Kibum, mumbling a thousand thank you's. Just then, he felt warm drops of water on his shoulders. He suddenly went into panic mode and faced a sobbing Kibum.

 

He immediately wiped the tears on his lover's eyes and said, "Did I do something wrong? I'm sorry that it's so sudden and it's not that romantic like on the movies. I'm really sorry, Kibum. I just thought that this is the right time since you missed last night's dinner and -"

"You planned on proposing to me last night?" Kibum asks and Jinki could only scratch his nape in embarrassment.

"Everything is perfect, Jinki. I don't need fairytale-like proposals. As long as it's you who's asking my hand in marriage."

"I love you, Kibum. So much."

"I love you more."

 

The rest of the evening was simply perfect for the both of them. After the Jinki's proposal, they ate the food Kibum made and then cuddled on the couch while watching their favorite movie. Their finger's laced with each other, with a silent promise of their future together.

 

Jinki couldn't ask for a much better night than this.


 


 

 

I know the ending is lacking once again. But this is all I could offer you. I'm working on a fic (Oops! Forget I mentioned that ><) and my senior year is making me go crazy. I still need to decide my Major for College so I had no time to write more. I'm really sorry. You know I love you all, right?