Chapter 14

Always By Your Side

 

 

 

 

 

Kibum woke up to the sound of his phone ringing, a ringtone only meant for Jinki. He quickly sat up and grabbed his phone, checking if it was indeed Lee Jinki. It's been awhile since he had heard something from the said man. To the point that he began to think that maybe Jinki doesn't want anything to do with him after he left. He knew everything. That Kibum loved him.

 

 

 

His hand kept trembling as he answered the phone. But even before he could say something, he heard Taemin's voice on the other side of the call.

 

 

 

"Kibum umma?" Taemin's voice sounded hurt and his motherly instincts instantly kicked in.

 

 

"Did something happened, Minnie? Are you hurt? Why is your voice like that? Where is Jinki hyung? Why are you using his —" He bombarded Taemin with questions, only to be cut off by something that drained all the energy in him.

 

 

"He's in the hospital, umma."

 

 

 

5 words. It only took 5 words for Kibum to go on hyperactive mode, quickly preparing himself to go outside. He just got rid off his PJs and wore the first pair of jeans and shirt he could find, even if the clothes doesn't click well together. His hair unstyled as he ran down the stairs and walked out of the house to the main street.

 

 

 

Taemin had already texted him which hospital and he quickly hailed a cab to take him there. He felt uneasy in his seat as the cab driver sped their way to the hospital. He's worried. What happened to Jinki? Why is he in the hospital? Is he okay?

 

 

 

For what seemed like hours to Kibum (it's only a 20 minute drive though), he arrived at the hospital, rushing towards the information desk.

 

 

 

"I'm here for a patient named Lee Jinki."

 

 

"Wait a minute, sir. I'll check our files." The clerk said and typed something on her computer. "It says here that Mr. Lee's family are only allowed to visit. Are you a family member?"

 

 

He bit his lip as he thought of what alibi to tell to the clerk. But thankfully, someone came to the rescue. "Yes, he is. He's my son's partner."

 

 

The clerk nodded, giving Kibum the permission to go on before bowing and continuing her job. "Let's go, Kibum-ah." The person now known as Jinki's umma said, helping Kibum walk towards the elevators.

 

 

"Seems like you and Jinki got it bad." She said, making Kibum think of her words. "I mean you don't look any better than Jinki. It's a miracle you didn't end up like him, losing his consciousness at work. He's in a deep sleep right now. The doctors told us that he'll probably wake up later in the evening or tomorrow morning."

 

 

Kibum could only nod before she continued. "Taemin told me everything. It's okay, Kibum-ah. I'm sorry that my son is stupid. I hope you forgive him." But before

 

 

 

Kibum could open his mouth for protest, the elevator reached the designated floor.

 

 

 

The white walls and eerily quiet hallway made him feel sick as they walked through it. They soon arrived outside Jinki's door. He was very hesitant to go in, but did when Jinki's umma told him to.

 

 

 

As he opened the door, he sees Taemin on the couch just in front of Jinki's bed, probably sleeping from exhaustion. At this place by the door, he could only see the feet of Jinki's bed. The room smells very similar to a disinfectant, making him want to throw up.

 

 

 

He breathes in and walks further into the room. The more steps he took, the more he could see Jinki. He suddenly stops just a few meters away from the bed, now seeing Jinki's sleeping figure. He lost a lot of weight. His skin look pale like any color was drained out of him, an IV drip connected on his right arm. He never thought he would see Jinki in this state.

 

 

 

"Kibum umma," Kibum sees Taemin stretching his arms, a small smile on his face. "You came."

 

 

He approached Taemin and hugged him. "Of course, I came. How could I not come if you called for me?"

 

 

"You're skin and bones, umma. Maybe you also need to be hospitalized." Taemin joked as he hugged Kibum tighter, tears threatening to fall from his eyes. "I was there, umma. I was there when he suddenly fell down. I couldn't do anything." His voice broke as he told Kibum the things that happened.

 

 

"Ssh... Stop crying, Minnie. He's alright now. You brought him here. It's a big help already." He said as he rub circles on the younger's back. "Stop crying or I'll cry too."

 

 

Taemin suddenly took deep breaths and his sobs died down. "You're staying here, right? You'll no longer leave us?" He asked, and Kibum didn't have the heart to say no.

 

 

 

Who was he kidding? He didn't even want to leave in the first place.

 

 

 

"Of course, I will."
 


 

 

 



 

 

 

 

Kibum stayed the night at the hospital by himself, telling Taemin and his umma to go and rest since they had a long day. He also phoned Minho to tell their parents that he is in the hospital to look after Jinki. Minho took the hint and told him to not worry about a thing.

 

 

 

He just stayed seated beside Jinki, senses alert for Jinki's small actions. He couldn't calm down without seeing the older open his eyes and flash that eye-blinding smile.

It's been hours since Taemin left, which was 7 in the evening, and it was already 2 in the morning. But since then, he didn't have even a wink of sleep, constantly worrying about Jinki's condition. Even though the doctors did assure them that he was fine, Kibum couldn't calm down and think that maybe this was the effect of his leave.

 

 

 

To think that Jinki started his unhealthy routine the time he left. It was all his fault. That one person he cherished the most broke down because of him. Taemin had actually filled him in Jinki's reasons for doing this. He's actually thankful to the younger that he had told Kibum. He told him every word that Jinki told him. No more, no less.

 

 

 

By the end of the story, Kibum had already realized all the reasons why Jinki did this. And they were just beating around the bush all these time, always trying to hide away the truth that they both loved each other.

 

 

 

But this time, Kibum will do the first move.

 

 

 

"Wake up, sleepyhead. Wake up so that I can tell you how much I love you in person." He said as he lay his head on Jinki's bed, holding the older's hands tightly, as if he'd never let go.

 

 

 

 

A/N : I could never give a good excuse for my late updates. But I could only say that my senior year started last Thursday and it's already killing me. I'm under pressure and stress for thinking about my future career. By the way, the next one's the last chapter.