Chapter 3

Always By Your Side

 


 


 

They soon arrived at Jinki's apartment after 10 minutes of walking. Well it's not just an apartment but a penthouse at one of the high-end buildings in the area. He awkwardly stands at a place near the door, strangely eyeing all the things inside the room.

 

 

 

He admired how the space was perfectly furnished. "Perks of having a high-end job, don't you think?" Jinki giggles at how cute the younger looks right now.

 

 

"I-I couldn't live in a place like this..." He silently whispers, but Jinki heard it anyways.

 

 

Jinki approached him and shook his head. "Being alone in this large house makes me lonely. And don't think about paying the accomodation. I got it all covered."

 

 

Jinki walks to the kitchen, preparing something to eat. "Kibum-ah. Are you hungry?" Kibum snaps out of his daze. "I know it's already midnight and you might have a diet to stick on, but it's better to eat late than wake up hungry, right?"

 

 

Kibum slowly makes his way to Jinki, smelling baked chicken in the process. "I hope you don't mind eating chicken."

 

 

He slowly shooks his head and took a sit at a stool, watching how Jinki moves in the kitchen. "I don't mind. It's not like I'm a picky eater or something. Just no carrots and we're fine."

 

 

Jinki hums, his mind sinking in the words Kibum just said. He mentally makes a note not to buy carrots in the near future. "And here it is. I hope you'll like my cooking." He serves the food he prepared, wishing Kibum would like it.

 

 

 

Kibum takes a bite and thinks, maybe living with Jinki isn't so bad after all.

 

 

 

 


 

 

 


 

Living with Jinki wasn't difficult as he predicted. As the older said, he lives all by himself in a comfty space with a kitchen Kibum's been dreaming of since forever. The place was neat. But Kibum took it upon himself to do the household chores. To the point that Jinki doesn't need to hire a maid to do these things. He feels sorry for the maid, but he has to do these things so that he could help Jinki even in small ways.

 

 

 

"You know, the maid talked about resigning to me. You didn't have to clean the house."

 

 

Kibum simply shooks his head. "No. Having a maid doesn't mean that we have to leave her all the chores. And I don't want to impose myself here for free."

 

 

"But I pa —"

 

 

"Ssh! Your arguements are invalid, Lee Jinki."

 

 

 

By the end of the week, the maid did quit. Saying that she already had served Jinki enough and there's always Kibum to do things for him.
 

 

 

 

 


 

 

 


 

It's funny how they looked like newlyweds. Jinki will be the workaholic husband and Kibum will be the dutiful housewife. After meeting Kibum, Jinki no longer goes home to an empty and dark place.

 

 

 

Jinki tiredly removes his shoes. "I'm home." He announced.

 

 

After a few seconds, Kibum, wearing an apron came into his view. "Welcome back. How was work?" The younger asks.

 

 

"As usual.." Jinki arched his eyebrows. "But why is it that we sound like a married couple?"

 

 

"Shut up, yeonggam." Kibum says in an annoyed tone. But Jinki knows he's far from being annoyed. "Dinner is already on the table. Wash up. I'll wait for you to eat." 

 

 

 

Jinki just stares at the figure walking away from him and adores how Kibum sports that pink apron, a spatula in hand, and those red-tinted cheeks. The perks of living with someone like Kim Kibum.

 

 

 

"Jinki." Kibum calls as they were in the middle of eating their dinner.

 

 

Jinki just hummed in reply, his mouth busy in chewing the food Kibum made. "I need a job."

 

 

Jinki then looks at Kibum. "Why?"

 

 

"I have to at least pay you somehow. And cleaning this house isn't enough." Kibum explains, hoping that Jinki would get his thinking.

 

 

Jinki smirks and Kibum felt uneasy. "I got an idea."
 

 

 

 

 


 

 

 


 

Kibum is 18 and he got his very first job. He's pretty lucky to be a secretary for the famous Lee Jinki with no diploma and experience. The work is not that difficult. Arranging Jinki's files, answering calls and reminding Jinki of his schedules — typical secretary jobs.

 

 

 

But not everyone is in favor of this arrangement. Around his 3rd week of work, he notices his workmates' glares and whispers whenever he walks by. 

 

 

 

"How come someone inexperienced as him was hired in this company? On a high position too."

 

 

"I bet Director Lee just pitied him."

 

 

"There's a rumor going around that he sleeps with Director Lee."

 

 

"Yuck. As if the Director will go for someone like him."

 

 

 

It really hurt, knowing that people get to talk about you in a bad way. But in any way, those people have no right to treat him that way. Jinki hired him. And he isn't going to fail someone who trusted him ever again.

 

 

 

He mentally cheers himself, smiled and walked through the suffocating hallway like nothing's wrong.

 

 

 

"You have a meeting with Chairman Lee in 2pm, sir. And that's it for today." He says, reminding Jinki of his schedules.

 

 

Jinki laughs at how Kibum was too office-minded. "Chill out, Kibummie. How many times do I have to tell you to call me hyung?"

 

 

"But sir -" Jinki playfully glared at him. "But hyung... the others-" Jinki silenced him with a finger on his lips.

 

 

"Don't think about what the others say and just be yourself around me." Jinki hugged him, assuring that Kibum doesn't need to be affected by all those people.

 

 

Kibum nods in his embrace. "Hyung, it's almost —"

 

 

"Hyungieee~" The door opened and a person unknown to Kibum walked in, a shocked expression in his face. Kibum instantly pulls away from the hug and bowed.

 

 

"I'll just be by my desk whenever you need me, hyung. If you'll excuse me." Kibum walked out, leaving Jinki too stunned to say a word.

 

 

"So dear brother.. have something to tell me?" The unknown man smirked and Jinki internally cursing himself for hugging Kibum at such a wrong time.