Chapter 1

Always By Your Side

 

 



 

Sometimes, things aren't going the way we wanted.

 

 

 

It was one thing Kim Kibum learned by the young age of 10, seeing his parents went their separate ways. A couple of years of constant arguing and tainted trusts led to the divorce of Mr. and Mrs. Kim. Nothing changed that much. 6 months of paperworks and court hearings, it was decided that Kibum was to be with his father.

 

 

 

"I'm sorry, Bum. It's not working out between us. But Bum, I want you to be strong, hmm? For me please. I want you to be strong enough to decide on your own. Don't let anyone hold you back. Make me proud like you always do." He heard his mother crying, but he was too scared to open his eyes and see his mother in her weakest state. "Just always remember that I love you." She said, silently backing away from her supposed-to-be sleeping son.

 

 

After Kibum was sure she was out of the room, he opened his eyes and took in what his mother just said. He grabs his trusted Mr. Bunny and hugged it tight as if it was his mother. "I'm gonna miss you, umma. I'll make you proud."

 

 

 

He's not stupid. He knows what divorce means. And he knows that his mother was leaving. He cries himself to sleep that night, wondering what had gone wrong with his family. He knows there's nothing he can do to make things back to the way they used to be. And lastly, he knows that he has to cope with going on with life, without his mother by his side.

 

 

 

His mother went back to her hometown, leaving him under the care of his father. He cried. But then, he establishes on his mind that that's just the way things happen. Maybe something better is gonna enter his life. He just have to wait patiently and make sure to grab the opportunity.

 

 

 

Some might think that 10 year old Kibum was too mature for his age. But through the events happened in the years he had lived, he always learns a lesson that he knows he'll use in the future.

 

 

 

 


 

 

 


 

At the age of 14, he learns that he's gonna have two new people in his life. He wasn't surprised. But he was surely amused. Maybe that's why his father comes home late, leaving him in the care of his nanny. He assumes it was just because of his work and not because of seeing someone. But his conclusions were proven wrong. On a sunny day in April, his father introduced two new people to him as his new mother and a sibling of the same age.

 

 

 

They were gathered in a family restaurant, his father with a smile on his face. "Kibum, this is Choi Minkyung-ssi and her son, Minho. They are our new family members from now on. Minkyung-ssi is gonna be your new mother and Minho is your new dongsaeng."

 

 

"Aigoo, Taejin-ah. You never told me Kibum looks this handsome. Let's get along well, ne?" Her smile was pretty, almost like his mother's.

 

 

He smiled, nodding profusely. "Of course, Min —˝

 

 

"Call me umma." She says.

 

 

"Of course, umma."

 

 

She gestures her son to introduce himself. "I'm Minho. I hope we can get along well, hyung."

 

 

"Likewise, Minho-yah."

 

 

 

The rest of the dinner was pretty fine actually. His father and stepmother engage in a few conversations about their upcoming wedding and Minho and him with some things they needed to know about one another.

 

 

 

And when he got back in his room that night, he positively describes the two new people in their family. His stepmother is a beautiful woman in her early 30s. She's fashionable, caring and understanding — something Kibum is thankful for. At least his father wouldn't be alone from now on.

 

 

 

Minho, well let's say Kibum described him as an awesome dongsaeng. Of course Kibum wasn't really interested with sports and sweats, but thinking about Minho and his skills in sports made him like a supportive brother. He also learns that Minho can be that quiet, aegyo-filled boy but once strucked with determination, he was someone of full charisma.

 

 

 

He silently writes in his journal, with a just dim lamp to make sure his father would think he's already sleeping. After writing a new entry, he pulls over the covers and tucks himself in like he always do, praying to God for a new and awesome day to come.

 

 

 

 

 

Dear Diary,

 

 

Today was long day to say the least! And I have something to tell you... Appa introduced two people to me today. And guess what?! He says they are my new Umma and Dongsaeng. I'm excited to have a new umma. No more family days with just my Appa and I! ↖(^▽^)↗ 

 

 

Her name is Choi Minkyung and my dongsaeng's name is Choi Minho. I'm already excited in living with them. Appa says Minkyung umma is a good cook and I could learn a lot from her. My first impression on her is very wonderful. She has a great smile and her eyes sparkle everytime I tell her a story about me, like she already treats me as his son. Minho-yah is very quiet. I first thought he was a snob but after knowing him better, I see that he's a great kid.

 

 

And for sure, all of us are gonna get along well together. So that is it, dear Diary. I'll come back tomorrow for more stories! I have to sleep or else Appa catch me staying up late. Good night ^-^* 

 

 

P.S. But no one will ever replace my true umma in my heart ♡ I love you forever, umma.

 

 

- Bumkeyk :)


 

 

 

Just like he said, they all do got along well. He'll wake up to a wonderful breakfast, go to school and hang-out with Minho, and he'll never have to worry coming home to a dark and empty place. Their dull house had its color back, even brighter. Every night was filled with laughter and happiness. 

 

 

 

It was then that he decided that things are better than what they used to be.