The Days After

Hired Lover

"Don't leave me when I'm this close to completely falling in love with you."

 

Taeyeon words echoed thorough her mind, Jessica stayed shocked, like her mind shut itself off. This was totally unexpected. Taeyeon waited patiently her hand gripping Jessica's shoulder and gave it a gentle squeeze. Jessica furrowed her brow in confusion and disbelief, her heart wanted to believe what Taeyeon said but her mind held onto the little thoughts of negativity.

 

In love. Jessica refuse to believe what was happening, this wasn't right. She felt her heart rapidly pounding against her rib cage, the beat was uncontrollable. Her body was in a never ending tug of war between her mind and heart. Jessica wanted to take Taeyeon's word genuinely, she wanted to lace Taeyeon's finger with her's, to kiss her, to own her but was this barely blossomed love worth putting them both through endless consequences.

 

"Sica." Taeyeon's voice softly shook Jessica out of her self war raging in her mind. "Say something."

 

"Taeyeon I-" Jessica took a pause when she realized they were the center of attraction in the cafe, everyone's eyes were on them waiting for the next scene to unfold.  She then glanced over at Krystal who still hadn't left her stage of shock. Krystal mouthed something but Jessica brushed it aside when she took a hold of Taeyeon's wrist.

 

"This isn't a good place to talk." Jessica murmured, "We'll talk someplace else."

 

Jessica walked out of the cafe at a fast pace pulling Taeyeon along with her. She didn't even bother to stop when the waitress called out to her for the bill, Taeyeon was about to stop but Jessica's force was too strong.

 

"Wait! Miss! The bill!" The worker called out to the two who left at the speed of light. "Hey!"

 

"How much was it?" Krystal tapped onto the lady's shoulder, "I'll pay for them." Krystal pulled her wallet out of her handbag, while muttering numerous profanities under her breath. If she knew her sister was such a pain in the she should have stayed at the dorms along with the rest of her friends back in the States. The things she does for her sister.

 

 

Jessica slowed down her pace when they were near an empty bench in the park. She loosen the grip she had on Taeyeon's wrist as they reached the bench, she felt Taeyeon wince as she did. Her grip had been so tight, it left a red mark around the area. Jessica immediately caressed the red print muttering an apology. Taeyeon brushed it off, waiting fro Jessica's next words.

 

"I'm sorry." Jessica repeated again, her eyes glued to the ground. she couldn't bring herself to look at Taeyeon because she knew one look at those warm onyx eyes, all her self control and will would shatter.

 

"I said it's fine." Taeyeon rubbed the area, twisting and moving her wrist around to prove her point. "It doesn't hurt."

 

"I mean my decision stays final," Jessica took a shaky breath eye stuck on the ground beside Taeyeon. "I'm not going to be your pretend girlfriend anymore. I just can't do it anymore." 

 

"Were you not listening, " Taeyeon took both Jessica's hand into hers, "I'm not asking you to pretend, I'm asking you to be my girlfriend. I know I said I was close to falling in love, it's still hazy but I know I want you because I-"

 

"Stop." Jessica pulled her hand away and brought it up to her ears covering them. "Don't say it."

 

Taeyeon was beyond confused, she sure almost positive Jessica held feelings for her, even if it was just some. She was sure it was there. "Why?" Taeyeon took a step closer to Jessica who was still covering her ears. Taeyeon grabbed onto Jessica's hand who tiredly dropped to her side. "Is it because you think I'm playing with you? I'm not, Jessica I think love you."

 

At the three simple words, Jessica could feel tears stung her eye. Three words she had been dying to hear come out of Taeyeon's mouth, three simple words that pulled the strings o her heart but also gave her a sense of dread. "Taeyeon." Jessica sobbed, "You can't."

 

"No you're wrong, I can." Taeyeon used her sleeves to wipe away the tears flowing freely from Jessica's eyes. "Why can't you see that I'm being true? Are you afraid of my parents disapproval when they find out? Because if that's the reason I-"

 

"Taeyeon, from the very start we both know this relationship wasn't about commitment." Jessica, for the first time since the conversation Jessica looked into Taeyeon's eyes. "You even said it yourself, and now I want to back out of our agreement because I'm as much of a burden to you as you are to me."

 

"But now I want that commitment." Taeyeon desperately grabbed onto Jessica's shoulder forcing Jessica to turn her way. "I want you to be by my side, I promise I won't leave you ever. I know this sounds cliche and original but I mean it for real. So please, give me a chance."

 

Jessica tried wiping the tears away with her palms but failed. She blames Taeyeon for that, those words no one has ever said to her before and no one ever made her feel so special the way Taeyeon does. It hurts her so much to know that person she held one sided feeling for has finally turned around and caught her. But the difference in their status was just something they couldn't jump over.

 

Even though she knew that Jessica leaned closer and closed the distance between their lips with a soft kiss, the adrenaline she felt every time their lips touched came rushing through her body, the feeling was amazing, and the fact that it was Taeyeon made thing seem so complete. Jessica pulled away, catching the small grin forming on Taeyeon's lips.

 

"Does that mean you agree?" Taeyeon's eyes held onto Jessica's, hope sparked in them.

 

"I'm not as strong as you Taeyeon," Jessica sniffled, wiping away her tears. "I don't think I'm willing to accept your feelings to throw myself in the pits of paying the price. And I doubt it's a small price to pay."

 

"I'll replace you." Taeyeon pulled Jessica into a tight hug. "Every time you think you can't go on, I'll replace you and take the pain of every burden away, I'm willing to pay the price with you, for you. You mean so much to me."

 

"It's not that I don't want to accept you Taeyeon, I can't." Jessica answered helplessly, she wasn't suppose to tell Taeyeon but if it's only a little, he wouldn't mind. Jessica pulled away from Taeyeon's embrace. "I can't, I promised."

 

"With who? If this is about my parents I could talk to them we could work this out."

 

"No we can't." Jessica almost screamed, "You know who I promised? Your dad." Taeyeon's eyes widen. "He confronted me a few days back, telling me I should let you go before anything became too serious, he knows about us, this relationship, about me."

 

"So please, don't do this." Jessica whispered. With that Jessica turned and ran as fast as her legs could bring her. As far away as Taeyeon as possible, because she knew one look at how crush the girl looked she was immediately give in.

 

"Wait, Jessica!" Taeyeon was so confused, her dad already knew? She was about to run after Jessica but a pair of hands grabbed onto her shoulder refraining her from moving. Taeyeon snapped her head back and was about to give the person a punch in the face before she realized it was her brother.

 

"How long were you here?" Taeyeon struggled in her brother's strong grip. She felt the pain as the grip tighten on her shoulder. "And let me go, I need to go after her!"

 

"Stop Taeyeon, I think you have bigger problems to deal with."

 

"Like what?" 

 

"Dad wants to see you."

 

Something heavy just dropped onto Taeyeon's heart. Her mind went in all different direction, she didn't know what to do. It was too soon for this, still she resigned to her brother hold on her. This was going to happen one day but this was too soon.

 

 

With a heavy feeling in her heart Taeyeon knocked on her dad's office door. Her palms were beginning to feel sweaty from nervousness mixed angry riling inside, please don't let this be what I think it is, she repeated over and over again in her mind like a mantra. Her fingers tightened around the doorknob when she heard her dad's voice from the inside.

 

"Come in."

 

Taeyeon squeezed her eyes shut, taking a deep breath before finally turning the doorknob. Quietly she walked into the room with each step feeling heavier than the last. She saw the a faint smile on her dad's face, a smile she didn't return. 

 

"What did you need to talk about?" Taeyeon coldly asked as she made her way to the chair and seated herself down. Her dad's eye followed her movements.

 

"About you of course." Taeyeon's dad gave a empty smile, Taeyeon's bit the inside of her lips, waiting for the worst to come. "I was thinking about you and your future."

 

"If you're planning on marrying me off, I'm not going through with it. Never." 

 

"Who said anything about marrying you off?" Taeyeon's dad's folded his hand on top of the table. I was thinking about letting you go abroad to the States to study business and finance. Your brother refused to take over the company but I still have you. And it would give you sometime away from that woman." 

 

Taeyeon scowled, "So my brother gets his own life but I need to continue living as your puppet?" 

 

"Taeyeon." Her dad said in a low stern voice, "This is all for your own good, and you should be old enough to understand it. You never had a issue with working for the company why now? I understood when it came to marriage but now you're pushing your luck."

 

Taeyeon scoffed at her father's words but didn't push any further,all she cared about was Jessica, she didn't care if it was her dad pulling her back. Jessica was all that mattered. "I want to know what you said to Jessica?" 

 

"That woman was not wealthy, she can't support you, she will only become a burden." Taeyeon narrowed her eyes at her dad, "Love can't take you far in life but success and achievement can take you far. You'll forget about her someday, you guys were nothing from the start."

 

Taeyeon clenched her hand into a fist hard, she could feel her nails digging into her skin. They were nothing from the start but now Jessica meant something more to her and she refused to let it go. "How long have you known that?"

 

"A while after you introduced her too me, though I honestly can't believe you would do such a thing."

 

"That's because you're always forcing things on me, have you ever thought about me, we may have been nothing from the start but now it's different." Taeyeon drew quick breaths.

 

"All my actions have been for you, Jessica is not what you need." Her dad pointed at Taeyeon, "I'm not trying to take your life away Tae, but you're only a teenager and there are so much thing out there. Don't tie yourself down to this place only. Jessica is your anchor right now, and I'm cutting her off."

 

"No." Taeyeon yelled, "I know the things you do are all for my benefit, and I never question you for that, but Jessica is the only thing I want right now. Mom already agrees, why can't you do the same."

 

"Because you didn't understand how this world works. Without money you can't go anywhere." Taeyeon's dad stood up and walk towards Taeyeon. He placed a hand on her shoulder, "Even if I did let you stay with Jessica, she will only be a distraction to your studies and how will you two live without my money. You're not in any state to choose."

 

Taeyeon's argument died down , her dad was right. No matter how much she loves Jessica she was only nineteen who doesn't have a career, they don't really have much of any future together, even if she wanted it to happen.

 

"Did you book my ticket to the States yet?" Taeyeon asked in a low whisper.

 

"It's set for next week, Monday."

 

"If I go and achieve something for myself can I live for myself then?" Taeyeon looked up, making eye contact with her dad,who stayed quiet for a few moment before whispering something that sounded like of course or maybe.

 

 

"Of all the times you acted so selfish during our childhood, you choose right now to be thoughtful of other people's feeling. Are you kidding me Unnie?" Krystal threw her hands in the air, watching Jessica lay lifeless on the bed since the minute she arrived at home. It took Krystal a lot of effort even to make Jessica speck about her problem.

 

"Shut up Soojung." Jessica rolled over on her bed, besides Jessica's red eyes who was swollen from crying, she didn't seem like she just got broken up or "pretend" broken up whichever one makes sense. 

 

"I don't get you Unnie." Krystal took a seat at the foot of Jessica's bed. "You love her but you pushed her away when she confessed. Even if it was for her quote and quote own  good, you could at least spend some time with her until her dad comes along and forcfully pull you apart."

 

"What's the difference between that and right now?" Jessica blew her nose into a napkin, sniffling.

 

"You get to spend some quality time together." Krystal pointed out, "That's better than you laying here telling me we're going to become spinster together, like why drag me down together with you."

 

Jessica shrugged, "Forever alone." Jessica buried her head back into the pillow, while Krystal sighed at her sister's sad state.

 

"If I knew I was coming back to see this much drama, I might as well  just stayed in NY and watched Jenn and Michelle fight over the same boy." Krystal heaved a dramatic sigh, walking over to the kitchen to get her sister a warm cup of milk. "Still sounds less of an emotional ride than this one."

 

"Lucky you the drama is over, what's a drama without the romance." Jessica groaned from her pillow.

 

"I know you feel tired over the whole situation but there are other people out there and maybe you could find someone new who's nice, caring, sweet, and doesn't come with all that drama." Krystal advised, while coming back with a hot cup of milk. "Here unnie."

 

Jessica sat up, "I can't believe the first time in my life I actually thought I love a person this is what happens." She blew on the top, "I can't even imagine what will happen next time I think about that." Jessica eyed Krystal. "Don't ever think about dating."

 

Krystal scoffed, "Just because you fail at it doesn't mean I would. I date non trouble, drama free, cute boys."

 

Jessica rolled her eyes.

 

"At your rate, I don't think I could go back to the States with you being so emotional down." Krystal crossed her arms, frowning at the thought of sister alone. Jessica rolled her eyes again. Giving Krystal a faint smile, 

 

"I'm old enough to take care of myself." Jessica drank so milk, "You should just worry about your studies, without Taeyeon I need to go find another job. I don't know how long the money will last us. Krystal thought on Jessica's words for a while.

 

"Maybe you could go back to the States with me Unnie." Krystal beamed as if it was the most brilliant idea ever.

 

"Don't be ridc-" Jessica's sentences was cut off when she heard their doorbell rang interrupting their conversation. Krystal got up and walked over to the door, she peeked out and saw Taeyeon standing at their front door. Krystal stared dumbfounded. 

 

"Guess the drama is yet to over." She muttered to herself. 

 

"Can I see Jessica?" 

 

"My sister's going through her emotional breakdown plus mental heal up so please don't disrupt the process." Krystal commented with a sarcastic vibe all over her voice. Taeyeon sighed, but decided it was best not to get into an argument with Krystal. 

 

"I know we didn't get off to a good start but I can I please see your sister." Taeyeon desperately tried to make Krystal agree.

 

"And let me hear her complaints about you all over again? Hell no."

 

"Krystal who's by the door?" Jessica voice called out from inside, shuffles were heard and footsteps made their way towards the two of them, but before Krystal could slam the door shut on Taeyeon, her sister gasped.

 

"Taeyeon...."

 

Krystal sighed and made her way inside without her sister asking. She had a feeling where this would go.

 

"What is it?" Jessica asked trying to cover her swollen eyes from Taeyeon's view.

 

"Go out on one date with me as my girlfriend again." Jessica was taken back by the sudden request, "Just this one last time."

 

 

Taeyeon walked over to Jessica with two ice cream, one strawberry and one vanilla. Jessica took the strawberry ice cream and it letting the sweetness cove their taste buds. She lets silence fall over them fro a few minutes, then finally she decided to speak up.

 

"So tell me why we're at Han River late at night?"

 

"I want us to spend today together, one last time. Like we're actually in a relationship." Taeyeon laced her fingers with Jessica's unoccupied hand. Jessica tensed at the sudden skinship but soon eased into it. "Just the two of us."

 

Jessica tried to stop the smile creeping onto her face, she knew this would make it harder for her to let go of Taeyeon but she chose to go along with it anyway. She was just asking for her heart to be broken again. She let fingers caress Taeyeon's face. Her eyes wonder around Taeyeon's milky skin, she was beautiful, Jessica wished they had more than just tonight.

 

"Since you're here right now I assume you talked to your dad right?"

 

"Let's not talk about him right now." Taeyeon held her hand up to stop the conversation before it started, Jessica rose a brow.

 

"Why no I should at least-" Jessica stopped talking when Taeyeon took a huge bite from her ice cream. "Hey!" Taeyeon gave her a innocent grin, with a bit of cream on the side of . Jessica dazed off, staring at the spot.

 

"What?"

 

"We're sort of dating right now right?"

 

"Yea."

 

"So it's okay if I do this right?" Jessica leaned in closer to Taeyeon and off the bit of ice cream on the side of . Jessica stuck her tongue playfully at Taeyeon. Taeyeon felt her breath hitch at Jessica's daring actions. But slowly her stone expression changed to a smirk. 

 

"If you want to kiss me you could just say so." Taeyeon had a cocky smirk played on her lips, while Jessica felt her face grow hot. Even though she was the one who initiated the action. Taeyeon leaned closer to Jessica, smirked as she watched Jessica's breath hitch, she leaned in until their face was less than a cm apart. Taeyeon whispered in a low voice. "You're ice cream is going to melt."

 

Jessica gaped fully expecting Taeyeon to have kissed her, but instead she watched Taeyeon laugh hysterically at her stupid expectations. Jessica blushed and pouted. "Yah, so not funny." Jessica looked away from Taeyeon scooping a spoonful of ice cream and stuffed it into . 

 

"Hey Sica?" Taeyeon started lightly, Jessica hummed and turned around, only to be meet with Taeyeon's lips. Jessica closed her eyes and let her lips melt into Taeyeon's it wasn't a messy or passionate kiss. It was simple and sweet. Taeyeon pulled away with a smile. "I love you."

 

Jessica felt her eyes tear up for the millionth time, "Why are you always saying that?" Taeyeon eyes widen at the sudden tears, "It's not fair, you're always making me cry so easily." 

 

"You cry to easily that's why." Taeyeon retorted playfully. Jessica slapped her on the shoulder before quietly adding.

 

"I love you too." Evident blush was around Jessica's cheeks, while Taeyeon beamed at the confession. "I wish we could stay like this forever. I wish we had more time." Jessica stated with a sullen expression. "You're making to so hard for me to let go."

 

"That's good, because I'm leaving for the States next week and I don't want you to forget me."

 

"When are you coming back?"

 

Taeyeon shrugged. "I'm not sure a year or two at most." Taeyeon glance at Jessica who was quiet at the mention of how long it would take for her to come back. "Hey, can you promise me that if you're not married when I come back I'll win you over this time. As a clean slate."

 

Jessica smiled, blinking back the tears that were forming, "That depends. Will you still give me a hard time like now?"

 

"When did I ever give you a easy time?" Jessica laughed. Taeyeon bit her lips, "Can I kiss you one last time before tonight ends?" Jessica smirked and leaned in until she could feel Taeyeon's breath, lips so close, tempting both of them.

 

"Let's see considering how you stole my first kiss during our first meeting, molested me during our second, not to mention you took my ity." Jessica wrapped her fingers around Taeyeon's pulling the younger girl closer. "Don't you think it's too late to ask such a innocent question." Jessica closed the space between their lips and body. This won't be the last.

 



 

Angsty at first but it got better towards the end so it kind of makes up for everything. I decided to end the story like this. I'll add chapter of epilogue after this chapter the next time I update and that would be the end for that you just to wrap up everything and add that scene I never manage to fit in. And before you guys freak out I might add some bonus chapters afterwards but that all depends.

 

Thank you to everyone who supported this story, and commented and upvoted. Those mean a lot to me. Hope this isn't to sudden. Byeee~