Believe

The Stars in the Sky

Dara's POV

 

Today's the 2nd week of school; A dreadful Monday, I corrected. A sorrowful ambiance plus a -faced professor who has no intention on shutting his friggin mouth from talking about the very uninteresting history of Korea, you wouldn't hesitate to bury yourself 10 ft under the ground. This hateful moment of drudgery is killing me, most especially that there were only three, no, five of us who diligently attended the class. Five of us for the love of God!

 

Sad to say that two of them were snoring happily on their seats and the teacher, I guess, is too lazy to kick their bums outside this four walls.

 

It would be a lot more interesting if Bom was here, pestering me to death as she wouldn't stop talking about boys from morning to evening. Well, for satan's mercy she wasn't here. Basically everyone's skipping classes since last week. It's adjustment week in which you could just dump the sheer boredom of listening to the professors' stupid introduction the entire week and go party til you drop, they said. And party animal Bom surely wasn't an exemption.

As expected to a loser like me, I diligently attended the class since the very 1st day of school. Sorry not sorry but I wouldn't buy that petty 'adjustment week' excuse to skip my classes the entire week.

 

I wonder why time flies so slow in boring situations like this. Not too soon, I am pretty sure that I will caught myself snoring and drooling with half-opened eyes. I am dying to sleep right here right now for Pete's sake and this isn't even closer to any good. I was only sitting here more or less 15 minutes but I don't even know who the hell cursed me when it fact it feels like I've been exposing myself to boredom for 48 long years!

 

I was feeling a bit groggy as I stared at the plain dull white board peacefully placed at the wall. Trust me, staring at this thing is 1000x more effective on luring you to sleep than counting sheeps.

I was about to let myself be carried away by my powerful call of drowsiness but then a strong sinful hand suddenly pulled my hair harshly at the back. I swear guys, WHY ON KOREA IS IT EVEN LEGAL TO PULL SOMEONE'S HAIR!

I've been and will always be a victim of this hair-pulling crime. Sometimes I would even think if I should just shave my hair to stop seducing people on pulling it. The sudden impact of having your poor hair pulled, shaking your poor brain cells until they're dizzy and tipsy is beyond pain. Now I am so done of having someone grabbing it freely like a door that says 'pull'.

 

I turned my back to give whoever that idiot is a deserving punch on the face. I curled my fist, making it sure that it was hard rock enough to knock someone down unconscious. I was about to hit that devil and to my surprise, it was him. That guy who was waiting for probably his evil girlfriend on the canteen. I stopped my balled fist mid air which caught the attention of our boring professor.

 

Wearing an obviously mad expression, he pointed at us with shivering fingers.

"Both of you. You and you, the door is open. Go.. Out.. NOW!"

 

Startled by our professor's sudden outrage, we caught ourselves scurrying for the sake of saving our asses. Running out of breaths, we stopped running at the edge of the hallway and I let myself sit helplessly on the floor. Guess I was just kicked out from class. It's a first.

 

"This is all your fault!"

Wiping his invisible sweat in exaggerated movements, this guy still have the good guts of blaming me.

"M-mwo?! So who grabbed my hair first? Isn't it you?"

"I was just trying to catch your attention duh" He rolled his eyes, proving how much of a he actually was. A man- to be exact.

"Catch my attention by pulling my hair?! Are you insane?!!"

"Of course not!"

"Okay then mister. I'm sorry~"

I told him that in my sweetest tone but boldly emphasizing the sarcasm. I scoffed at this unbelievable fella. How on earth could he try to catch someone's attention by grabbing one's hair. That is a mortal offense.

I thought that once I have spouted out these magical and less egoistic "I'm sorry" words it would fill his heart's content, making him turn his heel to another direction and go back to class but-

NO.

 

Instead, he sat beside me and began smiling like crazy.

Is he under psychotherapy or what?

 

"Why are you smiling? Wasn't my apology enough?"

"Oh Ms. Sandara Park. Don't act as if you haven't avoided me since day one"

 

I gulped. Wait.. he could still clearly remember my name. Oh my God. This is bad.

 

"Ahhh that~"  I sheepishly grinned, trying to stay out of this provocative predicament. I awkwardly rubbed my nape while he on the other hand was just simply staring at me with a hint of something evil in his eyes. I'm quite unsure either he's mad or he's just trying to play mischievous with me. I would guess it's the first one.

 

"Why did you run?" He questioned me in a queasy tone. I am 101% sure that he's referring to me running away from him and rejecting his friend request in the canteen a week ago. I'm not as dumb as not to sense that he was just trying to provoke me this time. Just by that tone, I could sense that he's claiming me as some criminal trying to wear an innocent persona.

 

"Run what?" I innocently snapped back. Well, 'trying' to be innocent perhaps. I have never figured out since then that keeping a straight face when you're lying is way harder than you thought.

 

"Stop playing games with me. You're avoiding me the last time." With deadlock eyes, I swear he's getting scarier every second. Well, I just don't get his point why he seems to be so bothered by that canteen incident a week ago. What's the big deal about it, actually. 

 

"Ahhhh that oh hehe th-"

 

"Just fckin tell me why!"

 

 

With that sudden roar he made, I swear I was dying at that moment. I could feel how frustrated he was when his strong hands suddenly gripped my thin arms. Just like how I crumpled a piece of paper effortlessly,  I could feel my flesh under his forceful grasp being crumpled in the same way. All I could ever feel as of that moment is the physical pain that he has inflicted on me.

 

"O-ouch.. you're h-hurting me.."

"H-huh? O-ooh.. I'm s-sorry.. terribly sorry!"

Slowly, he loosened his tight grip on my arms and I could feel the pressure of the blood underneath my dry skin came rushing in. Marks from his strong hold printed on my skin was undeniably still very visible though.

 

It took a longer while when I stared in space as I could feel the frantic beating of my heart. Probably because I was startled by this messy-haired guy. I was expecting that he will finally realize that he was actually wasting his precious time getting involved in a stupid conversation with a loser like me.

But I was kinda flabbergasted when he settled himself comfortably beside me instead of leaving me alone.

 

Lo and behold, here comes the awkward silence between us. You could just picture out that an awkward bird passed by us leaving awkward poop. It almost take forever until I have decided to break the ice.

 

"A-actually, I don't want anyone else- most especially your.. ehmm 'girlfriend', to misunderstand us"

 

"G-girlfriend?!! Misunderstand us as what?!"

He exclaimed hysterically. His eyes were about to pop out from its sockets and his manly vein can be visibly seen all over his neck and temples. He was frantically looking at me since I could easily see him by my peripheral vision. I swear he kinda over reacted after hearing the word 'girlfriend'.

 

"Misunderstand us as.."

Before I have finished this embarassing sentence, I took a deep breath first as I have gathered enough confidence to complete it.

 

"lovers".

 

 

 Jiyong and I have stayed in the same position since a couple of minutes ago. I just found out that his name's Kwon Jiyong and eventually he bawled his heart out after knowing that because he told me that he have already introduced himself to me a week ago. He even sulkily confessed that he can't help himself from feeling so upset after he was rejected by me, twice.

 

And also, I just found out that he has NO girlfriend. He was actually waiting for his fish-looking bestfriend at that time. HOW CAN I BE SO SILLY. I mentally facepalmed myself for creating such petty assumptions.  I even earned a devastating flick on my forehead from him. And guess what, he thought all this time that I actually believed he's a syphilis carrier! Oh God. Why did you create this man. I just can't fathom his total idiocy. I think we came from the same origin though.

 

A gust of wind drove down gracefully in this secluded hallway. Pieces of dry leaves were brought along by the wind and one of it got stucked at Jiyong's nest hair. It looked so ridiculous that a faint laugh escaped from my lips since his head totally looked like a plant. I was about to remove it but he caught my wrist first before my hand could land on his hair. I stared at his dark eyes and I can't somehow read what's in them. It was like a mystery unsolved. His soft fingers wrapped perfectly around my tiny wrist and in one swift move, he pulled me towards him making my head land on his hard chest.

He didn't let go of my wrist and instead he pulled me closer to him, tightening his sweet embrace. I tried to wriggle out from his embrace since it's getting awkward but to my downfall of luck, he's too strong to let me go.

 

"J-ji what are you d-doing?"

 

"Do you believe in love at first sight?"

 

Oh seriously Kwon Jiyong? I was the one who asked a question yet I was answered by a weird question. What's with this man? I was tempted to knock his flat forehead repeatedly to shake his living daylights so he would wake up and realize how weird he actually was right now.

No matter how ridiculous and hilarious I may sound but I still managed to give him an answer.

"No". I uttered flatly. I don't believe it. Meeting a stranger and suddenly feeling your insides churn from giddiness?  That is so.. stupid. I scoffed at the thought. That is surely beyond sanity.

 

It took for more than a hundred seconds and the only thing I could hear is the meek silence around and Jiyong's heartbeat. Yes, I was trapped in his awkward embrace but I got used to it somehow.

Jiyong hasn't even spoken about his opinion of love at first sight yet. Judging from his silence, I bet we came up with the same answer.

But suddenly-

"I do"

 

Wait what? Have I heard it right?

He believe it exists?

 

 

"I do believe in love at first sight. As surreal as it may sound, I still believe it. I strongly believe it."