That Blue Hanky

The Stars in the Sky

 

Dara's POV

 

The worst thing of having no private vehicle on a rainy Sunday is the fact that I should take the risk of climbing this muddy and slippery hill since the church was located at the hilltop. Tiny beads of raindrops were dripping sadly on my head, streaming down to my feet. Okay, I was terribly drenched by that dumb rain and I swear I don't look so pleasant right at this moment.

The green moss underneath my wornout converse was dangerously smooth. In other words, it's so slippery and there's a high probabilty that this will be the death of me. Well, hopefully not because I was just trying to crack a joke amidst of my 50/50 situation right now. And I don't think it's even legitimate to put this horrible news on headlines saying, 'A girl was found dead along the mountain side. The court blasts the moss for unattempted murder.'  Imagine the total shame of my death. It's unfathomable.

I ran out of breath as I faced the struggle of climbing this hill. Well, the hill was not that huge but its slope was quite high. The water from the rainfall that was poured to me minutes ago and my natural sweat that came out of its own was mixed all over my body.

Muddy puddles are everywhere and I was left with no other choice but to carefully run and jump over at those earthy thing like I was joining a 100 meter hurdles.

Even though I keenly dragged myself out of the mud as much I could, I was still aware that there were still some stubborn mud that splashed into the back of my jeans. And to my greatest bad luck, my shoe laces have freed from its knot, leaving it stressingly untangled.

I sighed in frustration as I bent down to tie them back and I just realized how much of a bad luck I really am when a car passed by, splashing me with a load of mud. Now what.

I was about to scream like a mad woman I am and scare all the animals away, when suddenly I could hear the church bells ringing. I threw all my frustrations away as I sprinted as fast as I can.

The church bells kept on ringing, and I am aware that several seconds from now it will impatiently stop and the church doors will begin to close. I can't be late this time most especially that my grandma's gonna kill me if I do. I was late last time and the last last time that's why I have always ended up attending the afternoon mass, much to my grandma's dislike. She hates tardiness and I haven't met anyone as impatient as her, so far.

You might wonder why my grandma came ahead of me, and I think I owe everyone an explanation. Well, basically it's like this. Out of all church in Seoul, my grandma have always chose to come here every Sunday. Not a tradition or something, but she just loved to be here maybe because of the breath-taking scenery and the number of people who came here to worship. Since this church was pretty much placed at the middle of nowhere, only few came here and basically, only the pious ones. This was like a hidden temple and I precisely assume that those people who have no idea about this existing church above the hill would easily think that we're into some cult with voodoo rituals and the likes. Dumb people.

Since there were only few of them who came here, they decided to form a religious group. At first I didn't know the actual point of building such group but after I attended the heart-to-heart recollection last time, I could see how cleansed they were emotionally after crying their hearts out as they embraced each other. It was more likely built for catharsis purposes.

And oh. Talking about our transportation..

Since we don't own a car or at least a bike, we are left with no other option but to take the bus. Honestly speaking, I don't have any problems with taking the bus except for the fact that the closest bus stop was located at the down town area, just below the hill. And if it means down town, it would be quite a long walk for the both of us.

There are days that the weather's perfectly fine that's why I could say that walking is totally fun and challenging. But speaking of rainy Sundays, this is by far the worst. I would have to suffer in breaking too much sweat and I seriously don't consider this as a healthy workout.

This is either a road to calvary or probably my way to hell.

And speaking of my grandma, just awhile ago someone offered us a ride. I would say that luck must have favored my side today since it's so seldom for anyone to offer us a ride plus the weather's not good. Everything just seems to be completely fine  if not for the fact that there's only a room for one person.

In other words, there's NO room for me.

I don't care how embarassing it was to shove myself in and my big to their mini civic but still, it wouldn't work. If I say that there's no room, there's really no space left inside. Not even an inch.

That's why I ended up walking and risking my life here alone, in the middle of nowhere.

The loud ringing of the bells brought me to the harsh realization of considering myself as late, again.

Quite determined by all the obstacles around, I could feel how my adrenaline rushed all over my body. I ran as fast as I can until I finally made it to the top.

My breathing was unsteady due to the wild running I just did. I halted for awhile, trying to catch my breath, as I leaned my left arm on a lamp post.

A guy leaning against the marshy walls of the church with his eyed closed caught my attention. He looked so angelic and I can't help myself but to stare at him for a little longer.

I was tempted to come near him and wake him up from his dreamy thoughts because we're both getting late for the mass which is about to start but I resisted the urge of doing so since it would be so rude to wake someone up without him knowing you personally. 

The sounds of the closing doors served as my wake up call that's why I immediately rushed to the entrance, still hoping to at least block my hand for me to enter.

Fortunately,  my plan perfectly worked when I successfully blocked my petite arms in between the closing doors.

O-ow. That was painful.

I ignored the pain like it was nothing even though my arm was literally dying in pain, just to keep my cool.

I have caused quite a scene though and I swear, this is another episode of my embarassing series.

As soon as I stepped in, everyone was staring at me with a very complicated expressions on their faces. If stares could kill, I was probably 10 feet under the ground by now. I could witness how everyone's attention was focused at me but I began to doubt it when they started to look at my back as well.

Confused, I turned around to see who they're staring at besides me, and it was him.

That guy which I caught leaning at the church wall and stand sleeping at the same time.

I stared at him, again, for a little while but he just shot me an uninterested look in return. That was cold.

Oh. So I wasn't the only one who's late after all. I inwardly smiled in victory by that thought.

I continued to scan for seats but to my disgrace, there's no seat left. I kept on searching for one or else I would end up standing here the entire homily until I found two vacant seats at the east side of the church. I immediately hopped in to one of the seats and settled myself comfortably.

I sniffed the shirt I was wearing and yucks it terribly smelled like earth and my sweat all mixed up. I fished a handkerchief in my pocket but sad to say, it's no use since it's wet as well.

I have sighted a folded paper lying at one of the pews so I picked it up. I immediately opened it and it was a prayer guide. Keenly scanning the people around, I automatically used that paper to wipe my wet face after finding out that no one was looking.

I continued to wipe myself dry using that poor-fated piece of paper. In my state right now, I don't think anyone would like me after seeing me this.

I looked so horrible. My clothes were drenched, my pants were filled with mud, my shoes are sinfully dirty, my hair's a mess, and my face- never mind.

The homily went on and on, until my eyes were starting to get heavy. The monotonous voice of the priest was luring me to sleep.

I was fighting the urge of falling asleep in this holy place that's why I slapped my cheeks violently to keep me awake. Less than a minute have passed and I swear I would die to give myself in to my sleeping desire. Hating the idea of giving in to tempations, I pinched my cheek and then my nose then my ears.

 God didn't seem to favor me by now most especially that the pianist started to play some mellow songs. The melody was so irresistably tempting that they started to lull me to sleep.

My brain have betrayed me; telling my eyes to close and placing something heavy on my shoulders.

Physiology has it, I snored my way to dreamland.

 

 

Donghae's POV

You know what pissed me off? It's when people placed their bags on the vacant seats as if owning the entire pew.

Seriously,  I didn't know that this mass was for all the bags to come sit and listen and not for us, the attendant. I wasn't aware that Jesus have renewed the ten commandments, applying those rules to all bags in the world. ing bags.

I just can't fathom the fact that idiots were everywhere even inside the church.

I rolled my eyes at them, totally ignoring their glares at me. Some people wouldn't just mind their own business really. I couldn't care more since they were only basic.

I got tired of looking for seats and I decided to go out instead but someone caught my attention. I guess this is already the third time that this girl have caught my attention. Amazing.

I followed her but she didn't seem to notice me. Fortunately, she found two seats, just enough for the both of us to sit.

As soon as I have settled myself at my seat, I stared at her intently. She looked so horrible; her face and hair were undeniably messy. Her side bangs was so distracting that I was tempted to tuck it behind her ear so that I could see her side profile fully.

There's something about her that I just can't take my eyes off her and I honestly don't know what is it. No matter how much I tried to divert my attention to the priest who's desperately trying to crack a joke at the audience, but my eyes would always end up at her face.

She was too oblivious to notice my presence, well, good for me or else she would have probably freaked out once she caught me staring at her all this time.

I was trying my very best to completely ignore her and listen to the homily instead but she was just so distracting that I couldn't help myself but twist my neck a little just to see her.

She's not really someone that is so pleasant to look at. It was most likely something magical that I fell under her spell.

She must be a witch!

And I was so terribly shocked when she picked up a prayer guide and used it to wipe her face like it's some kind of a paper towel. Is she serious? It's purely disgusting! And wasn't she even bothered by the fact that it could ruin her skin?

Unconsciously, I took my hanky from my pocket. I was about to wipe the remaining beads of sweat on her forehead but my subconscious pulled me out from doing so, telling me how much of a stupid I am for doing such stupid things to a mere stranger.

I uncomfortably diverted my gaze back at the priest. This time, I forced myself to focus at whatever the priest was saying and avoid looking at her as much as possible.

I couldn't help myself but create thoughts about her.

And by her, it's not Jessica who I am referring to.

It's this oreo girl who caught my attention thrice.

I was thinking how ridiculous she was. How weird and silly her actions are. How terribly different she was compared to most girls that existed today. How distant she actually is compared to Jessica who's already so close to perfection.

I sighed a breath. Something was terribly wrong with me. Nowadays,  I was kinda bothered by these random thoughts that would suddenly popped out on my mind.

And worst is, I was bothered by this stranger beside me. Why would I even give a about her anyway when I knew the fact that this would just lead me to nowhere.

For the umpteenth time, I sighed again.

 

I was in the middle of my thinking episode when I was interrupted by the sound of a skin being slapped. I immediately darted my eyes at her. And to my biggest surprise,

She literally slapped herself.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Is this the kind of suicide she's trying to trend? I mentally facepalmed by her little act of idiocy. She reminds me of Jiyong's stupidity, to be honest.

And I saw her pinching every skin she have; from her cheeks to her arms. WHAT IS REALLY WITH HER AND HER MASOCHISTIC ACTIONS? Has she smoked pot before she came here?

I don't get this girl, really. She's nothing but a crazy piece of crap! I shot a frightened look at her and I guess until now she still hasn't figured out that I was looking at her all this time. I have witnessed her never ending silliness all this time and she was still there, sitting comfortably, completely ignoring everyone else's presence. Wow.

 

I could finally breathe when she stopped slapping and pinching and biting her ownself. I diverted my gaze back at the priest even though I no longer have any idea what he is talking about. Minutes passed and I was astonished by her silence.

I looked at her through my peripheral vision and I could see how much she behaved. She didn't even make a single movement, and I was really surprised.

The priest was talking about a parable and I don't kinda understand the entire plot since my mind would suddenly wander to somewhere.

I was startled when I could feel something on my shoulder. I glanced over to find out what it was and to my surprise, it's her. She fell asleep and basically she used my shoulder to lean on. Or perhaps she just unintentionally fall her head straight to my shoulder.

It kinda seems like its the latter though.

Once again, I looked at her face. I carefully stared at her, examining every little detail. Well, she's not really ugly. Actually she's cute and.. natural.

Well compared to Jessica, she's really nothing. But the fact that her beauty doesn't require anything made her way more beautiful.

If Jessica wouldn't live a day without her blush on, little miss oreo have already this natural rosy shade on her cheeks. If Jessica would freak out if her hair gets a little frizzy, little miss oreo wouldn't give a single damn.

It seems like we have the same principle: we don't give a .

I wasn't biased here since I admire Jessica, a lot. I just can't help myself but appreciate the simplicity of 'Little Miss Oreo'.

Why 'Little Miss Oreo'? It's because she was wearing a black and white tandem during our first day of school. The neutral duo made her look like a piece of oreo. And that was something that I couldn't forget.

 

She was peacefully sleeping on my shoulder. My subconscious told me to push her away since she's just a stranger I met once at school and besides, I have a girlfriend who would beg to sleep on my shoulder as well. But I don't know what's with me that instead of pushing her away, I pulled her close to me, leaning her head against my chest.

Her clothes are wet, as well as her hair. I took this opportunity to tuck some of her hair strands behind her ear. I took my hanky and gently used it to wipe the rainfall residue on her forehead. I carefully patted the soft fabric on her forehead, down to her cheeks, and.. to her lips.

I stopped on her lips. Instead of using my hanky to wipe them clean, I used my thumb instead. As soon as my thumb landed on her marshmallow lips, I gulped. There was this sudden flow of electricity that volted from her lips to my thumb then to my body. This feeling is too foreign for me to understand. 

 

The overempowering passion of this moment was one step closer to a taboo and fortunately,  realization dawned over me. . What did I just do?

I immediately pulled back. This can't be. What on earth am I even thinking?

I have a girlfriend for the love of God! And why the did I just let myself turn into a lustful beast who has an unconscious  attempt of taking a sleeping stranger for granted?! And to top that, in this holy place!

I was terrified by the thought that I am one step closer of commiting a heresy and with that, I am awfully sinful.

I placed my folded handkerchief on her lap and let her head comfortably lean at the back of her seat. I immediately dashed my way out, not caring if I have caused an unpleasant scene while the mass was going on.

You're a one ed up man, Lee Donghae.

 

No one's POV

Dara woke up to the sound of a deafening whisper from someone who's obviously running out of patience. She moaned in satisfaction from the warm sunlight that tapped against her face. Hearing those harsh whispers against her ear, she wondered what the hell was she hearing. We can't question her for wondering if she's hearing a devil talking dirty to her since she's still in a half conscious state.

The whispers were getting louder every second and there's no way that she could just ignore them. Left with no other choice but to fully wake up, she groggily opened her eyes and stretched out her bent arms at the same time. 'That was a good siesta.' She thought while rubbing her eyes using the back of her hand.

As soon as consciousness has totally taken over her, she glanced at the not-so-familiar-yet-so-familiar place around her. From the cherubim painted ceilings, antique sculptures adorned at every corner, old wooden furnitures with exquisite gold designs; there's only thing that popped out from her mind..

This is not her bedroom.

 

"Aigoo Dara! You will be the number one cause of my death!" The cranky old woman continued to whine in exaggeration. "Grandma?",

"Were you sleeping the entire time, huh, Dara? Weren't you even ashamed that you fell asleep in the house of God? This is the house of God you rascal! Are you a devil's spouse huh?" Her grandma wouldn't just stop scolding her off hysterically.

Dara knew very well that defending herself from her grandma's exaggerated complaints would just result to nothing that's why she just shut the entire time, hearing the sharp words from her grandma but not listening.

"Aish you little rascal! Don't you have plans to get up there so we could go home now? How many times do I have to tell you th-"

"Okay grandma. No need to worry. Let's go home now so I could help you trim your shrubs," Dara calmly said to silent her furious grandma.

She got herself up from where she was seated but before that, she noticed a neatly folded blue handkerchief on her lap. She carefully picked it up and wondered why the heck did it magically appeared on her lap. She looked around for the paper that she practically used to dry herself awhile ago but it was nowhere to be found.

The handkerchief seems to be pretty expensive. With smooth threads and soft fabric, in short it's made with the finest material, she couldn't deny that she's lucky enough to receive such classy kind of hanky.

They were heading to the exit and trust me, Dara walked out through the doors with a newly found hanky on her hand and a bright smile plastered on her clothes. She didn't care how muddy she looks right now because what's important was the fact that someone was worried by her unfortunate state.

But the question is, "Who owns this hanky?"

 

On the other hand, Donghae was on their way home. Still the same position; his dad was driving, his mom was at the passenger's seat and he was at the back. He's neither happy nor angry at her mother who still wouldn't stop singing the raindrop song.

To be honest, he was too tired to give a about everything. All he just wanted as for now is to sort out his feelings.

Who wouldn't say that love is a killer? You know you're ed up when you caught yourself in the middle of this thing called love.

Yes, he was dating Jessica but doesn't mean that they were accidentally caught up in love. They were likely dating just for that mere pleasure of having someone to date. And also the fact that Jessica's too beautiful was one thing that pressured him to start a commitment for the both of them.

It's been days since the thought that he chose the wrong decision kept on bugging him. Well, wasn't it too early to start a relationship without even a solid confirmation of what he truly feels?

But he will learn to love Jessica in the long run, right?

He leaned his head against the window of the car as he stared at the blurred sight of trees that they passed by. His dad was a frustrated racer so no wonder why he roared the engines into the fastest speed, at the same time making sure that his family' s safe.

His mother stopped singing as soon as she noticed the gloomy expression of her son through the rear-view mirror. She was completely aware that her son wasn't totally upset about her singing saga even though it was never so good to hear because what's painted on his face was clearly an outcome of a different reason. Perhaps a deep reason.

She tilted her head to personally meet the miserable image of her son and yes, she was right. Something's bothering him. She could see the amount of sadness in his eyes.

"What?" Donghae irritatingly shot her a cold look. He wasn't as numb to not notice his own mother staring at him.

"What's with that face darling? Tell mama what's wrong," his mother told him, no, ordered him to spill what's the matter. Mothers have always noticed how their sons and daughters frown and they have always managed to ask why. And that's a fact. "This is my face." Donghae said in a flat tone, wearing his usual poker face.

"Don't fool me Lee Donghae. I know you very well. So tell me what's with your horrified face when I caught you running towards the exit and what's with that melancholic face right now." His mother was as clever as he is. She might be easily deceived by anyone but not by her own son. She was just trying to provoke him in order to spill out whatever he's hiding so she could help him.

But Donghae would never be Donghae if not for his stubborn attitude.

"It's none of your business" ,

"Oh really? Maybe you forget that I'm your mother Lee Donghae." His mother sharply told him. Her glares were as deadly as a hundred daggers.

"Fine! I'll tell you okay. I was honestly pissed by your voice. That's all.Thanks for ruining my day."  He calmly said with a sarcastic tone at the last sentence. His dad burst out laughing at the driver's seat. His mother made a face of disbelief as she shot a look at her husband with dreaded eyes.

His mother knew that it was a big fat lie. Donghae was a bad liar after all. She knew that something was seriously bothering his only son and even though she would die to help him but she just chose to respect Donghae's stubborn decision of not telling her. And besides, he's big enough to handle his own personal problems.

It's been a long ride til they already reached home. Donghae immediately went at their balcony and as soon as he stepped in, he sighted a fully bloomed rose in one of her mother's flower pot. It was beautiful and its stem wasn't so thorny.

Donghae brought his face nearer. The flower was kinda successful in luring him. Like what he often saw in movies, he dreamily sniffed the flower.

"Ahhh-chooooo!" He unexpectedly sneezed. He fished for his hanky on his pocket and that's when he realized that he gave it to her.

He gave his favorite hanky to this girl whom he didn't know that her name is Dara. And she's not an oreo.

Little flashbacks of silly Dara started to play on his mind. The first time that he saw her, she was sniffing like a mad woman in the middle of the crowd. The second time was the terrible sight of her completely covered in mud and her face was priceless.

Unconsciously, the corners of his lips started to lift up and that's when he caught himself smiling.