Decision

The Stars in the Sky

"One mistake wouldn't define her whole being bro. Give her a chance or else.. you might die with regret for letting her go"

These words were terribly inked on Donghae's head, leaving unconsious prints on his wandering mind. It was like a labyrinth; no matter how many times he desperately tried to look for ways in ignoring them, they would always came running back at the center of his mind. There's only one way out, and that's only for him to figure it out whether he should take Jiyong's words seriously or just shrug the thought and let it haunt him.

He was comfortably seated at his grandmother's old floral couch at their balcony, as he stared at the gazillion stars scattered like dusts at the vast sky. Kinda fascinated by the marvellous sky, he threw his arms at the back of his head as he laid his back at the cozy cushions of the couch. He never thought how wonderful their balcony really is until he decided to take some lone time with himself, trying to figure out his unknown feelings. Well basically he haven't came back to this relaxing place for quite awhile. To this dilemma he was in right now, this old fashioned balcony seems to be the best place to reflect.

Glancing at the flower pots which is beautifully aligned at the side, Donghae smiled at them as he knew very well how his mother still found the same happiness in arranging things in perfect symmetry.

Back at those dreadful words, he blew a bitter raspberry thinking why on earth did he got this change of feelings.

There's obviously nothing wrong with Jessica. She's a perfect epitome of an ideal lady and that's a fact. She's basically very attractive that every boys wouldn't hesitate to say that she's worth the chase. Everyone's head over heels when it comes to her that even some girls would become lesbians. And that's a serious case.

People would even beg to have at least a dash of her attractiveness.

But.. WHY?

Why is this 'good boy gone bad' Lee Donghae have suddenly started to doubt his feelings to this living barbie? Is something wrong with him? Well, something's wrong with him! The Jessica that everyone's dying to have slash dying to be started to reciprocate this giddy feeling to him but then he started to doubt his own.

This is the reason why this predicament is good to argue. Donghae needs some psychotherapy sessions with a professional psychologist, and not just a psychologist wannabe like his cray-cray buddy Kwon Jiyong.

 

He closed his eyes for a brief time but eventually opened them and gazed back at the wonderful constellations up above. 'Do I really like her?' He thought as his eyes wandered from star to star.

He was already at the verge of drowning from his own thoughts when suddenly his mother interrupted him by a series of loud knocks on the door. As responsive as he really is, he grumpily stood up from where he was comfortably seated and walked lazily towards the door. He swiftly unlocked the worn out french doors, twisting the knob to open it, only to meet the happy image of his mother.

 

"Now what?" he rudely yet truthfully questioned his mother for barging in as he rolled his eyes. "Have you eaten the apple pie?" his mother gleefully asked like a stupid person. It would be normal if only she said that with a gleeful aura but NO. She fiddled her fingers as she batted her eyelashes like a little girl. Oh sweet Jesus what is this woman doing in front of his son? This is quite enough to throw Donghae at the pit of shame.

Donghae who's almost at the verge of throwing up annoyingly said, "Oh c'mon! Is that it?" Her mother was silent for awhile and her silence pretty much means nothing so he was about to go back at the couch but his mother held him tightly on his wrist only to say a big "NO".

"Now what is it really?! Aish stop playing pretend mom!" He whined as his mom wouldn't stop on playing with him, treating him like a ing toddler.

"You have a visitor pretty boy. Now don't be too rude. Come down and greet her." She gently patted his son's broad shoulders and immediately leaves, leaving Donghae quite confused.

 

"Her?"

 

 

DONGHAE'S POV

 

The last word that my mom said left me dumbfounded. 'Her?'  Who could that be? Well, I didn't expect anyone to come here and visit me and besides, nobody knows my address except for Jiyong. I confusingly stirred my head as the thought of me having a female visitor at this hour.

I was in the middle of the stairs when I caught a familiar figure sitting in our living room with a beautiful smile plastered on her petite face as she conversed pleasantly with my parents. They were talking about designer bags and latest fashion trends with my mom while my dad was desperately trying to hold on a forced smiling expression even though I pretty knew the fact that he feels nothing but bored.

I could feel how much my dad was fighting the urge of rolling his eyes at the two girls who was happily shrieking about some girly stuffs. That's my dad.

 

I suppressed a laughter as the image of my dad complaining at me afterwards about how bored he was the whole time he's trying his best to listen at those nonsensical fashion dramas, crossed into my mind. Somehow, I have thought of making my favorite dad his favorite coffee since I could feel how bored and pissed he totally was judging from his fake expressions and I think that's all I could help.

I was about to head straight to the kitchen to make some coffee when this golden haired woman stared at my direction. She held her hands together like she's in her own enchanted fairytale as she batted her velvety eyelashes. And oh don't forget that she was heavenly smiling. "Donghae Oppa!" She yelled like some sort of an excited cheerleader.

Both my mom and my dad diverted their gazes to me with a readable expression that says 'come here right now'. I stopped in my tracks thinking what the hell is she doing here? Speaking of this devil.

"Hae darling come here faster. Jessica's been waiting for you for ages!" My mom cheerfully exclaimed. Been waiting for ages? Lol mom she was just here for like ten minutes.

I would want to complain my heart out to my mom who loves to embarass me to death by calling me 'darling' and using some exaggerated words but I just suppressed them all in order not to make a scene most especially that a visitor was here, and instead I just rolled my eyes at her the same way my dad rolled his eyes at the two ladies.

 

I settled myself right beside my dad and I could see how his face brightened up to see me by his side. However, my not-so-evil mom flatly told me to sit beside Jessica instead which is the reason why my dad just can't refuse himself from rolling his eyes in frustration.

I sat beside Jessica and she immediately wrapped her arms around my biceps. I glared at her since I wasn't used for having a sudden skinship but she tightened her arms around me instead. Hopeless, I tried to ignore her presence as much as I could. Oh God I hate clingy girls.

 

"Darling, I'm going to watch my favorite tv show upstairs. I'll just leave the two of you there, okay?"  My mom pointed at the both of us with a look on her face that says 'have fun you two lovebirds' before she pranced gracefully on the stairs and hummed an 80s song.

We could visibly witness how my dad complained at my mom behind her back, saying that he's going to watch a football game. As expected, my mom ignored him which perfectly explains to why my dad's mood have drastically changed from bored to grumpy.

Not too long, my hilarious parents were out of our sight.

 

"Your parents are funny!" Jessica audibly chuckled causing me to look at her. I'm not sure whether she's genuinely chuckling or she's faking it. "Why are you here?" I asked honestly. Well, that is all I need to know, period.

"Aren't you happy to see me?" Hurt was wrapped up in her tone. I continued staring at her emotionlessly without giving a of answering her. "Oh sorry I'll just leave, I guess," she pulled her dolce and gabbana which is placed at the table and let it hung on her shoulders, preparing herself to leave.

But before that could happen, I held her hand firmly, "Stay."

 

 

"So what would you want to talk about?" I gently said, kinda ironic to my behavior awhile ago I know, as I placed both my hands on the pockets of my faded jeans. We were already outside, taking a stroll underneath the stars. The wind is kinda chilly but I couldn't care less since I love this state of temperature and besides, Jessica's wearing a fancy coat. That's enough to keep herself warm and obviously enough not to make me worry. It took a short silence before she finally spoke up.

"Actually," she trailed, "I would want to talk about u-us."

"Us?" I immediately asked like it's some sort of a natural response to her words. Once those two-letter word came out of my mouth, she flushed into a rosy shade and nodded timidly.

"What are we really Donghae?"

I blinked in surprise by her boldness. Whoah. Is this true? The Jessica that every guy is dreaming of is standing perfectly right here in front of me, asking me what are we? I was thinking about this matter awhile ago but here she is, breaking the ice first before I do. I gulped. What are we really? Do I really like her?

I mentally snorted by how stupid I was. The wind was dramatically blowing her fringe. Her hair was swept westwards but her eyes stayed the same; waiting for my answer.

"We uhh w-what are we?" I answered her back. Oh wait, did I just said that? The ?

"I was asking a question yet you asked me the same thing" she stated like the witty ice princess she is. A smirk was formed in her lips and her dark chocolate orbs were darted at me. "I d-don't know Jessica,"

"I haven't thought about it yet."

I can picture out how Jessica's lovely expression will suddenly change into a frowning one by those undecisive words that escaped from my mouth but to my surprise, she remained like how she is right now; smiling.

Confused, I stared at her intently. I could see how beautiful she really was even with all the make up she applied to her face. She has a sharp facial features; pointy nose, well-structured jaw and a smooth forehead. I have always dreamt of a girl like this but it's bitterly confusing how I was hesitant to open my heart for her.

She walked ahead of me letting her wavy hair bounce freely. She had a lean figure, an hourglass shaped body like what Jiyong frequently said. I almost ran out of positive adjectives when she suddenly stopped walking. "What do you think of me Donghae Oppa?"

Another cold breeze hurled down. My mouth gaped opened, shocked by her question. What do I really think of her? Just awhile ago I haven't figured out what we are and what we're supposed to be but now, it's kinda pointless if I will just shrug this question and leave Jessica unanswered.

Well to tell you the truth, it's simple. I like her. That's it, no erase. But doubtful questions have started to riot inside my brain. Questions like, 'Do I really like her?' 'Is she someone I could rely on?' 'Are these butterflies inside my stomach genuine or have they gone extinct a long time ago?'

"Hae? Are you just going to continue staring blankly there?", "Hello? Earth to Donghae. Are you still there?"

I was awakened from my own bubble of thoughts when a hand gently pinched my right cheek. I winced at the sudden pain and stared at Jessica who's standing in front of me, waving her left hand right in front of my eyes. As soon as consciousness has taken over me, she stopped what she's doing and started crossing her arms the same way my mom did everytime she's mad. "Are you going to answer me or not? I need to catch up the fashion show. It's going to be aired less than 30 minutes from now!"

"Oh sorry," I apologized at her. Her impatient aura is no joke. I could sense the need to let her go very soon or else she'll end up bawling her eyes out here if she failed to watch her favorite fashion show. "So?"

"So..." Okay this is it. I'll have to make the best decision this time.

But do I really need to come up with a decision this time? Do we really need to rush things?

I closed my eyes once again before answering her, hoping a miracle would suddenly occur which I think is quite impossible. This is the reason why I hate to be stuck into a dilemma like this; her over feelings or feelings over her. Lord, please tell me this is right.

"I-is it okay if we'll, umm you know, take it to the next level?" I hesitantly asked even though I know the fact that once those words escaped from my mouth, we're on. There's already us.

And I just said it. I'm taking us to the next level.

She lovingly wrapped her arms around me and I was expecting for some sparks fly or some fireworks exploding or a hundred butterflies fluttering inside my body but... why?

Isn't it supposed to be that way? That those good things would came twirling around us like glitters, and there should be this warm tingling feeling within me, a tendency to fall or stagger in love. I wonder why I wasn't even smiling right at this moment as she dreamily slipped herself within my embrace. Or perhaps those were only in fairytales?

There's only one thing I could feel right now; confusion.

I was confused how contrary I feel to how things are supposed to be. It seems like things just simply didn't fall into place.

She pulled herself away from my embrace and glanced at her diamond-studded wrist watch. "Oh! It's almost time. Gotta go! See you when I see you Oppa, I mean, babe!" She went near me and she tiptoed to level our faces. Her hot breath evaporated all over my cheek and in split second, her soft lips touched my right cheek. I closed my eyes for a brief second waiting for those stubborn butterflies to come out, but still, no butterflies.

As soon as she pulled out, I maintained a calm composure even though deep inside I am already dying because of the fact that those damn butterflies are nowhere to be found. That's my way to keep my cool. "See you and uh, t-take care Sica!"

"Sica?" she looked rather crestfallen as soon as those words of concern came out from my mouth. Isn't she supposed to be happy? This is ironic. Well, basically the whole thing here is ironic! I nodded as a response. What's wrong with Sica? That's her name right?

"Babe!" she whined like a teenager hippo. I laughed as soon as I realized that she wanted 'babe' as our endearment. Stupid Donghae. But wait, isn't babe too cheesy? I would want to complain but as much as I want to, I just have to ignore how stubborn and immature I really am this time so she won't have to waste time here and go home and watch her favorite fashion show instead. I'll just make it sure that next time, she would no longer call me that.

"Take care babe! Bye," Now shooo watch that stupid fashion show. That's not my thing anyway. And oh, don't call me babe next time okay.

 

As soon as Jessica disappeared from my sight, I heaved a breath. I stared at the wonderful stars above who were primarily the witnesses of Jessica and I's little beginning. Little stars, please tell me I made the right decision.

 

------------

Sunday morning rain is falling. I may be a big fan of Maroon 5 but no, I wasn't singing. I just stated a simple morning fact, that's it. I heard a light tap on the window and then it became a pitter-patter. That's when I could visibly see the huge droplets and mists on our window. It's raining.

I may be convinced by the fact that it's raining on a Saturday morning but to my biggest disgrace, it's ing Sunday. Oh, haven't I said previously that my family's very religious? Well, I guess I haven't. Rain or shine, we always have to attend the holy mass. I have no memories of skipping a Sunday mass, ever and I am not joking.

Except for that one time that I stayed at home the entire day for having a not-so-beautiful hangover and I was left nothing but a pot of a weird tasting porridge. I was forced to eat it from breakfast to dinner, and trust me, my throat have dried up from constant puking. That was a brilliant way of torture and since then, I haven't missed a single Sunday in going to church.

The rainfall became more intense every second. So much rain was falling like the clouds have been bawling their eyes out over someone who's dangerously dying. I intentionally sighed as my parents leaned against the window to see the heavy splattering of the raindrops. I hope some good spirit would possess the both of them so that they may have to change their minds and stay here at home instead.

"If all the raindrops were lemon drops and gumdrops~" my mom started singing and I swear, the rain no longer have the heart to stop crying. "Oh what a life I would lead~" and to my greatest bereavment, my dad joined the singing as well. I looked at them horribly. Well, they are horrible for God's sake! "Standing outside with my mouth open wide~," "EH EH EH EH EH EH EH EH EH EH~" They chorused. Jesus please tell me these are not my parents. I literally face palmed right in front of them for acting like ing toddlers. I have a million nerves in my body but they managed to get in every single one of them. PARENTS.

"Stop frowning darling. You can never deny the fact that you once chose Barney over me," she huffed and pretended to act hurt. "Well mom I was ten okay?! That was so long time ago!"

"Still darling, stilll."

 

 

We're now on our way to the church and I was silent the entire time. My dad was the one driving while my mom was in the passenger seat, still singing that ing raindrop song.

I was at the back, relaxing my head at the head rest while I fiddled my hands on my phone. I was about to take a selfie but my mom stared at me with a menacing look. A total creeper, I corrected. So that's why I ended up browsing my conversation box instead of pushing through my selfie session with my annoying mom staring at me. Jessica sent me an sms but I didn't open it nor read it. I just don't feel like replying at her and anyway, I wouldn't want to be in that dilemma in which my phone would ring awkwardly inside the church while the mass is going on.

 

I looked outside through the dark tinted windows of the car, and I guess the curtain of rain have already passed over. Thanks to my mom who stopped singing.

We have ready reached at the hill top. As soon as my dad stopped the engine, I immediately stepped out from the car. Leaves crunching lightly beneath my soles, a sweet woody air filled my lungs like it's a natural remedy, cracks of light broke through in golden streams from heaven, and a sight of a humid vegetation all over the place; I couldn't ask for more.

I stared in awe at how wonderful and natural this place is. This is a perfect place to forget all the living misery in the city.

Tired of having all those dreadful thoughts these past few days, I leaned my back against the cold ancient wall of the church. I crossed my arms as I closed my eyes, indulging the serene feeling that I yearn for days. I could hear the birds chirping sweetly and I swear, these flying animals know how to sing way better than my mom.

My soulful momentum was interrupted by the loud ringing of the church bells. Perhaps the mass is about to start. I flinched my eyes wide open.

The very first thing that caught my eyes' attention was the scene of this girl running at the closing doors of the church. She was panting hard and sweat was dripping all over her forehead. The earthy mud was splattered at the back of her jeans, looking like a splashed canvass.

It was her.

That living oreo.

That weird looking girl, wearing that huge black shirt and white pants in the first day of school.

 

 

 

A/N: Guess who's that weird looking girl. If you have read the foreword,  you'll guess it right :)