Mr. Nobody

The Stars in the Sky

"What's that?" Donghae asked as he glanced at the approaching sight of Dara. His brown eyes trailed at the cellophane-wrapped  stuff that Dara was holding.

"Stop questioning the obvious. Does it look a cookie to you? Of course it's a sandwich!" Dara sarcastically remarked and handed a sandwich to her fish-looking friend who was peacefully sitting on the grass.

She bent over to pat and dust some soil on the free space beside Donghae before she comfortably settled herself.

"But it doesn't look like a sandwich to me." Donghae said as he examined the sandwich from corner to corner. His face contorted in disgust as he eyed the burnt bread and the hair strand that was sticking at the lettuce. It was so disgusting and he was obviously getting the thoughts of, 'How on earth did Dara managed to make this?' and 'Is this really a work from a kitchen or from a dog house?'

Dara turned to face Donghae, purely expecting to see a sight of his friend happily taking a bite of her sandwich,  but contrastingly all she could witness was the sour expression present on his face instead.

Seeing how terribly Donghae hissed in great distaste by her disaster sandwich, she feigned hurt and pretended to sob. She dramatically clutched her chest and pouted .

"You don't have to force yourself from eating that piece of !" Dara exclaimed in exaggeration, obviously faking a painful image. She immediately grabbed the sandwich from Donghae's grasp and started to wrap back the cellophane around it.

"Aish I feel bad for letting you eat this." She added as she dramatically held the sandwich on her hand. Donghae wasn't as dumb as to not notice how Dara faked it. He knew very well that she was just trying to fight for her own pride and dignity, even though she quite knew the fact that she's a horrible cook. And also, Dara's a terrible drama queen. It's really obvious how she tried to put up a show and suppress her ridiculous laughter.

Too tired to comfort a sulking friend, he snatched the cursed sandwich on Dara's hand and chewed it like it's the tastiest thing on earth.

Dara's mouth gaped open and her eyes were filled with nothing but shock. How could this man be so bipolar? Firstly, he stared at the sandwich like it's the most disgusting thing ever and a second, he grabbed it and munched it like it's the most delicious thing ever invented.

"You don't have to stare at me like that." Donghae said as soon as he caught Dara's shock expression through his peripheral vision.

"Are you seriously eating that?! That's disgusting! Aish I seriously don't get you and your bipolar personality!" Dara shrieked in fury as she witnessed how Donghae munched the sandwich until he finished eating it.

Donghae ignored all of her whinings and murmurs, and instead he pulled Dara closer to him. She landed on Donghae's lean chest and Donghae placed his chin at the top of her head while he encircled his arms around her thin waist.

"Stop making the sandwich an issue." Donghae calmly said and eventually smiled when he saw Dara became dead silent in his arms. Well, this is the only way he could think of shutting the stubborn mouth of this girl and based from her silence, it's quite effective.

With such sudden intimate skinship, Dara's heartbeat was frantically racing. It seems like there was a major technical difficulty going on her system when she could feel how her body froze, literally. Her face goes slack and gaped open but eventually she closed it back. She doesn't know how to react when her heart was yelling like crazy. And the natural beige of her skin was draining which explains to why she turns pale.

Awkward silence eventually enveloped the both of them. Dara would open to say something but snap it shut after she forgot the words that she's about to speak. She opened it again yet closed it back. Same cycle goes on and on until she felt tired so she just decided to zip .

The warmth of Donghae's embrace made her sigh in high euphoria. The feeling was too majestic. The unfamiliar emotion she was having are bursting like fireworks and spaceships.

How could this man lit her up like a candle?

One touch from him and she have gone gaga. His embrace was the reason why she was light-headed yet anxious and disoriented at the same time. She wondered why she didn't feel the same way when Chanyeol hugged her.

It was just... different.

And it's kinda ironic because he personally knew Chanyeol and that red head boy was her most trusted dongsaeng. He was like his best bud for ages, next to Jiyong. But this guy who trapped her in his embrace is a different story.

Well, he's just a mere stranger. Donghae's just a mere stranger to her, just so you know.

But why does she feel this way everytime she's with him?

"It's been a week yet you don't have the heart to tell me who you are." Dara broke the silence as she stared at the lovely golden sun which was about to set.

"Yet you know my name. That's unfair." She added. Her voice is seriously upset.

"I already told you Dara. I have my reasons and it would be better if you see me as your real friend with who I am right now. Introducing myself with my name and my background, that's plain stupid." He said without even a hint of a joke or something. His explanation was kinda valid but what were really his reasons? 

"Just spill to me your reasons. It's really unfair you know!" Dara whined while pouting her lips. It's already been a week since Donghae wouldn't reveal who he is, and yeah it's also been a week since they started to meet at this grassy land every afternoon til evening as well. And yes, it's kinda odd.

"I don't have to tell you. Oh wait, I don't need to tell you." He firmly answered, making Dara pout in despair.

"I guess I would ask Jiyong who you are then since you wouldn't tell me." Dara said with a little mischief in her voice. She was aware how surprised Donghae would react after telling her those wise words.

"If you're going to ask him, then I would consider that as cheating. And I would drag you to the nearest dog pound and leave you there."

"Did you just threaten me? Sorry but, I am not scared." She boastfully said like she wasn't affected by the threat but honestly, the idea of being left at the dog pound with a hundred of hungry dogs was beyond scary.

"I would love to humiliate you in public. And I'll include your sandwich too." Donghae said, trying to hide his laughter.

"Okay. I'm not scared."

"How 'bout hiring an obsessed stalker to stalk you day and night?"

"Hmm.. okay. I'm not scared."

"I'm going to tell your gay math teacher that you cheated. He surely will believe me since he prefer boys over girls."

"Still not scared."

"Then I guess I will just have to kiss you right here right now."

"Okay. Wait, WHAT?!" Dara squealed in horror. Here goes her heart twerking like Miley again and her face have gone beet red, for the nth time.

"Okay? Sure thing." He casually said as he smirked at Dara who was obviously petrified by his suave trick. He inched his face closer at her, and I swear Dara was closer to fainting.

Every gap that Donghae closes, an ounce of redness was painted on Dara's cheeks. She just can't handle the hot and nerve-cracking feeling as of this moment.

"W-what are you d-doing?" Dara stuttered as she witnessed Donghae's gaze darted on her lips, and how his Adams's apple bobbed up and down.

Instead of answering her, Donghae cupped her petite face with his large hands. He leaned in dangerously towards her. The sudden proximity between the two of them made Dara reflexively close her eyes. She just can't handle the wild and ferocious beating of her heart and the sudden appearance of goosebumps all over her skin. She just can't.

Donghae continued to lean unto her until it came to the closest point that one move from him would make his dream come true.

Dara on the other hand, was happy at the same time anxious by the thought of a cute young man like Donghae have stolen her first kiss. She continued to close her eyes, nervousness was seriously swallowing her. She was waiting for the time that their lips would meet but sad to say, it didn't happen.

Seconds passed and still nothing has happened. Completely disappointed, she flinched her eyes open.

As soon as she opened her eyes, a pair of hazelnut eyes greeted her. And it was Donghae's. Donghae's still there for the love of God!

The hands of the clock stopped moving as soon as he closed the gap between the two of them. But instead of meeting each other's lips, Donghae's lips landed on the tip of Dara's nose instead.

"I told you I don't joke around. So are you still gonna ask Jiyong?" Donghae said as he tucked a hair strand behind Dara's ear. He mentally laughed by Dara's flabbergasted appearance. It seems like she have seen a ghost just awhile ago.

"N-no." Dara stammered.

"Good." He remarked as he gently patted Dara's head. "You'll know me someday Dara. I wouldn't feel bad if people will reveal my name to you as long as you don't ask them."

Dara remained frozen on her spot. Her happiness and disappointment came rushing at her like wildfire. What just happened awhile ago was the hardest thing to decipher in her whole life.

"The sun has already set. I guess it's time for me to get you home." Donghae said as he stood up from where he's sitting. He gently pulled Dara up and held her wobbly body from falling. He then took her hand and placed it on his. He could feel the spark and electricity that came running through his system from her grasp.

He filled in the spaces between Dara's fingers and held it tightly like he has no intention in letting her go. If only the sunset has happened a little bit slower, it would be way way better.

He carefully dragged Dara to her home which happens to be a little faraway, much to his likeness.

Their silhouette against the golden sunset skies were beyond dreamy and romantic.

Oblivious to them, a pair of jealous eyes have witnessed the entire scene. The anonymous person was dreadfully clenching his/her hand, ready to ruin everything between the both of them.

 

 

Dara's POV

'You're unconsciously in love.'

I mentally read the tiny slip of paper inside the cracked cookie. My eyes gaped wide open, almost popping out from its sockets as soon as the term 'unconsciously in love' resonated all over my tabula rasa. And also the fact that this message was aimed for me and only me made me snap in shock.

Well, this tiny piece of paper surely knows how to keep my hopes up. Me? The hopeless romantic Sandara Park who has a huge fanatic crush with a thousand eyecandies on music videos and movies was unconsciously caught in love? Unconscious my . This is not just lame, but beyond lame.

I coughed at the most hilarious thought that has ever crossed my mind. How is it even legal to call this cursed cookie a fortune cookie when in fact this message doesn't sound like I was about to win a lottery or something?  It more sounded like a threat or a warning.

But then, reality slapped me like a when I suddenly remembered that fortune cookies were just simply made up of water and flour, plus some bored Chinese baker inserted a piece of paper with words of faux wisdom and prophecy. Something abstract like love and other supernatural interventions has absolutely nothing to do with this crispy sweet thing.

I nodded my head in agreement. Yes, I was convincing my own darn self to agree. This whole thing about this four letter word called love is so out of my dictionary. I haven't even thought about it , most specially that I am basically out of love. I was unattractive since I was unborn and that's a fact.

But as I have frequently bumped into this word lately, I don't know why but I let myself hang from my own sanity. My awkward actions, my steadfast heartbeat, the somersaults of my own stomach; they all fell under one condition called love.

But what puzzled me most is the ugly truth that I only reacted in that manner when I'm with him.

When I'm with my secret friend slash nameless buddy.

He knew me and I don't know him. You know, that kind of relationship. That's all we have. He told me he has his reasons for not telling me and what nots. To be honest,  it's kinda complicated to keep this friendship up because everytime I'm with him, I feel comfortably best yet dead nervous at the same time.

Could it be possible that I fell for him?

Because right at that very second that our eyes first met, my world has literally stopped spinning. Everything suddenly became blurry except for him. My heart was racing fast and my entire body has betrayed me as well.

Yes it's possible but something in me believes that this was just a mere attraction. Perhaps we could say that's right. This is plainly attraction because he's a very attractive man to be honest. His almond shaped eyes were very tantalizing that you wouldn't get bored to look at them straightly for decades.

But Jiyong was attractive too.

Now I'm nothing but confused.

I would never believe that I fell in love with a stranger I barely met. And to tell you all that I have no damn idea what were his true intentions and even his goddamn name.

So.. I didn't fell for him. I convinced myself a thousand times already that I never fell nor will never fall for him. Maybe I was just frantic by that sudden proximity we shared two days ago. Yes, it's been two days since he last kissed my nose. Lucky nose. And since then, I have been restless. I've been thinking and thinking and I barely fell into a proper slumber. I always let my thoughts take over me the entire sleepless nights.

 

My eyes trailed at the crumpled strip of paper. Funny how my thoughts began to travel deep when I was just complaining about this fortune cookie awhile ago.

The old wooden door of my bedroom suddenly let out a noisy creak. Obviously, someone barged in. I turned to look who it was and it turns out to be my annoying brother.

He just stood there with a mischievous smile as he leaned at the the door. I have no idea what he was up to but I'm pretty sure that he was up to no good. Knowing Cheondong very well, those mocking smiles were nothing if he wasn't up to something.

"You know what Park Cheondong, if you have nothing better to do here you might as well just get yourself out before I will kick your fat outta here." I shot him an icy glare. This kid surely knows how and where to push my buttons.

"Chill woman. I was just here to tell you that you're boyfriend's patiently waiting for you outside~" He sang the last part before he stuck his tongue out and dashed away.

Boyfriend?

 

After combing my hair and tied it into a messy bun, I immediately rooted out from my room without even caring that I was just wearing my pajamas. I scanned the entire living room but nobody was there.

I guess I was right. That good for nothing Cheondong was just making fun of me. I'm going to roast him later, please take note of that.

I was about to head back to my room, obviously disappointed by my brother's prank but something came up to my head all of a sudden. I suddenly remembered the part that Cheondong said to me that my visitor was waiting for me outside.

Even if I was hesitant to obey my brother's words, I just gave it a try. And anyway I was curious to who he was actually referring as my boyfriend.

I opened the door to greet who it was but all I could see was darkness, and the silence that embraced the place. The lamp post outside has finally rested in peace after 2 years of suffering. I hissed by the thought that I got fooled by my brother, again. I was about to shut the door but someone's foot blocked in.

I came to stare who it was and it was..

"Yah Dara! I was waiting for you here even with all the mosquitoes around yet you just came here to slam the door right in front of my face?!"

"Jiyong?"

 

 

"What's your reason for visiting me in this unholy hour Kwon Jiyong?" I asked him with suspicious eyes as I offered him a mug of hot chocolate. I would be lying if I say that Jiyong came here just to see me or just because he miss me, because he is that type of person who wouldn't go unless it's important. That's so absurd.

"You don't want to see me right now, do you?"

"Don't answer my question with another question, Ji." I hissed at him, trying to outsmart his reasons. My voice was dead serious. Serious enough to make him slump his back on our couch.

"I was just here to see you, that's all!"

"You're a bad liar Kwon Jiyong. I knew you too well. You said you love nutella but you actually prefer cheese. You said you got those unlimited bracelets for free but you actually paid for them. You proudly said that you were the one who baked those gingerbreads you gave to me two days ago when in fact you just bought them at the local pastry shop downtown. Now tell me, since when can I not sense you lying?" I bursted out, and even I was surprised to find myself spouting those things without even stuttering or something. I could see how Jiyong was taken aback by my words. He might thought all these time that I didn't knew him too well and it was just him who was trying to know me all alone.

"Listen, Ji. I didn't mean to say those words. I mean, I was just wary because I know you came here to tell me something but I was just afraid because you might end up spilling something bad. I know you wouldn't easily pay a visit unless it's important."

I stared at him and he just heaved a sigh.

"So.. what are you reallu here for?"

"I just came here to apologize, okay?" He said in total defeat. I shot him a look but he looked away.

"Apologize?"

"Look, Dara. The past few days I was giving you my cold shoulder and a silent treatment. I know you didn't deserve those that's why I came all the way here to apologize. I was just upset because you've been ignoring me all of the time. You even left me alone without a word every afternoon. Do you hate me that much, Dara? You're trying to avoid me, aren't you?"

I peered my eyes on him, completely puzzled by what he said. I have no idea what he's talking about. No clue, no hint; just nothing. Those cold shoulder and silent treatment that he said, I basically have no idea.

"I didn't know about that. So are you telling me that you came here to apologize because you're treating me coldly? Is that it?"

He remained silent and it took him for awhile before he nodded. Why was I too oblivious to notice that he's upset with me? Honestly, this is driving away all the sanity in me because I have no freakin' idea that all of those words that he said was actually happening.

"And oh, I really mean it Dara. I was really upset when you suddenly left me alone two days ago. You even agreed to go home with me but all I could see was your retreating figure. You left me and I feel betrayed. And to tell you, you've been doing that to me the entire week!" He growled and pain was evident in his eyes. I didn't even notice that I myself agreed to come home with him.

Was I too excited to meet my nameless friend, who ironically happens to be his bestfriend, every afternoon to not notice that I actually rejected my closest colleague Jiyong through my actions? I was happy to spend some time til sunset with someone I barely know yet I even have the heart to ignore the plea of my friend. Unloyalty suddenly washed all over my face as soon as I realized that I chose to be with someone I have no idea who he was over my friend.

It seems like I prefer the rainstorm over sunshine. I was too blinded by my own feelings that I have turned out to be so oblivious by Jiyong's pain these past few days.

"Hello? Dara? You still there?" I broke out from my own reverie when Jiyong repeatedly waved his hand in front of me.

"It's getting late now, Dara. I think I need to go. And.. I am sorry, okay? Now let's bury the hatchet and be bestfriends again," He awkwardly blurted out the sorry word as he stood up. "And thanks for the hot chocolate."

"No problem, Ji. I'm sorry as well. I didn't realize how much I made you upset. It won't happen again." I humbly apologized and he just patted my head in return.

 

Before he could take his exit, I held his right arm immediately causing him to stop. He turned around to look at me with a questioning gaze.

"I have a question."

And predicatably, he said "What?"

"How did you get yourself here? Nobody knows my address, just so you know. Well except for my brother's close friends." I firmly stated as a matter of fact. Even Bom has no idea that I am living here.

My suspicions rose up when he avoided my gaze and remained silent for a moment. How the hell did he make it up to here?

"If you won't tell me, I highly doubt that we could still be friends tomorrow. Tell me and we could be friends or keep your mouth shut until forever. You choose." I told him. No, I actually threatened him. His eyes grew wide as soon as those words left my mouth. I blatantly ignored his threatened expression and I could see how he sighed in defeat.

"W-well, I actually happen to meet my bestfriend stopping by here. I guess he has mistaken this house as somebody else's. He stopped outside for awhile then he eventually walked away. He didn't see me trailing behind him, and I saw your school shoes outside. I immediately assumed that this is your house and I guess I was right." He narrated. Since his words have nothing to doubt, I nod my head in agreement.

But what keeps me intrigued is the fact that his bestfriend stopped outside for awhile. Could it be that he is..

"Bestfriend?" I unconsciously asked him. I was taken aback by what I just said. It would be better if he didn't hear it but unfortunately, I spilled it audibly.

"Yes. Donghae came here and I even wondered why he stopped here. But as what I said earlier,  I guess he has mistaken your house as somebody else's since you don't know each other yet."

You have no idea Kwon Jiyong. You have no idea.

But.. did he spilled his name?

"Donghae?"

"Y-yeah. Don't try to curse him, okay? He's not your stalker so don't assume. Like what I said, he must've mistaken your house as somebody else's!" He hissed. I scoffed at his immature reaction. He must've treasured his bestfriend a lot.

"Fine. Now you better go before a ghost will haunt you around. Awooo~"

"Yah! S-stop it! I'll go now. You don't have to puff you breath on my ear to shoo me away. Aish." He rolled his eyes at me before stepping out from our house.

As soon as he disappeared, I plopped myself on the floor.

I clutched my chest tightly since my heart started to dance like crazy again as I chanted his name again and again.

Donghae.

Donghae.

Donghae.

I didn't expect to crack the code of knowing his name this time. But I guess I just did.

His name is Donghae.