Chapter 5

When I'm With You

     “Are you doing anything after school?” I instantly looked up and shook my head. Daehyun clapped his hands before leaning forward a little. “Want to hang out?” I looked into his eyes before nodding my head slowly. I didn’t know why I couldn’t respond to him. 

     Surprisingly, class felt as though it went by really fast and soon enough me and Daehyun were already out of school, walking over to the school parking lot. I was a little confused at to why we were in the school parking lot, but then I realized that we were walking over to Daehyun’s car. His car…what…

     “You can drive?”

     “Yup!”

     As soon as Daehyun unlocked the car, I opened the door and sat on the passenger seat while Daehyun entered the driver seat. Before anything, I put on my seatbelt and looked at Daehyun who was already inserting the key in the hole. “So, where do you want to go?” 

     “Um…anywhere is fine, I guess,” I said because, to be honest, I didn’t really know many places to go to. I was, after all, always at my home either practicing or doing homework. All of a sudden, I widened my eyes before slapping my head with my hand.

     “!” 

     “W-what?” I ignored Daehyun’s question and quickly dialed the third phone number I had in my cellphone after my mother and father’s. After the third ring, Yoona noona answered.

     “Youngjae-ah? What’s up?”

     “Noona, where are you right now?” I took a glance at Daehyun, who had a questioning face on the whole time, before looking out the window.

     “I’m washing the dishes,” she said. “Oh! I forgot that I needed to pick you up! Stay there, Youngjae-ah!”

     “Wait, noona! You don’t need to pick me up!”

     “Wha-why?” To be honest, I wasn't sure how I was going to tell her this.

     “Well…um…I’m sort of…in my friend’s car…and we’re going…to go…hang…out…”

     “Kyungsoo or the guy you like?”

     What, guy I like?

     “Noona! I am not…that…and, yes it’s him,” I said before taking another glance at Daehyun, who was playing a game in his cellphone.

     “Oh! Well, that’s fine by me! I mean, both your parents aren’t coming until ten, right?” I nodded my head even though Yoona noona couldn’t see me.

     “Yeah…Can you keep it a secret from them?”

     “Of course, Youngjae-ah! Why wouldn’t I? I’m not like your parents!”

     “Oh, okay,” I said with a sigh of relief.

     “Just make sure you come back home on time because I don’t know what I will say to your parents if your not home by the time they get home. Okay? Have fun and don’t do anything naughty!”

     “Ugh…noona…I’m not that! How many times do I have to tell you?!” 

     “Never because I know you are! You just don’t know it…yet!” And with that, she hung up while I simply rolled my eyes. Seriously, why couldn’t Yoona noona accept the fact that I wasn't gay? I liked girls for crying out loud! 

     “So who was that?”

     I looked over at Daehyun before shaking my head.

     “Oh, just my housekeeper who is also like my driver. She was supposed to pick me up,” I said which made Daehyun nod slowly before starting the engine and driving out of the parking lot.

     “Have you decided where you wanted to go?”

     “Anywhere is fine,” I said.

     “Okay, then~!”

     Somehow, I felt a pang of relief in my chest for the first time in my life.

     When I meant “anywhere”, I honestly didn’t expect Daehyun to take me to a random cliff with those thick metal gates on the end. It’s not that I didn’t like it because, for one, the scenery was very beautiful. You could literally see all of Seoul up in that cliff. However, the fact that it was just sight seeing… I don’t know. Daehyun had a weird mind. 

     “Okay, we’re here!” Daehyun instantly unbuckled his seatbelt before opening the door and going outside to the edge of the cliff. Soon after, I got out of the car and joined him in the sight seeing of Seoul. By the time we were there, the sun was beginning to set and it looked really beautiful. The way the orange mixed with some yellow sky was illuminating the big city of Seoul made it look like a painting that Van Gogh would paint. 

     “It looks so beautiful,” I said turning my head over to glance at Daehyun. He didn’t say anything for rather he just nodded in agreement. 

     “I’ve never really seen the sunset up here before so I wanted to see if I could today,” he said as he continued looking out. By that time, the sun was already half its way down the city of Seoul, and it was beginning to get somewhat dark. Stars were beginning to show, and I just couldn’t contain a small smile forming on my lips. I leaned a little bit further on the metal railing before feeling as though I was about to fall.

     “Woah!”

     I honestly thought I was going to fall over the cliff at that moment, but my thoughts faded away instantly when two strong arms gripped onto my waist. I breathed in a load of air before looking over at Daehyun who had a very worried face on him.

     “Be careful, Youngjae-ah,” he said as he let go of my waist and looked at the sky.

     “Sorry,” I said while looking down at my feet. How could I be so careless?

     By then, the sun was completely gone and only stars were filling up the sky. I looked over at the city and widened my eyes at how much light was being illuminated. For one, it looked as though Seoul was glowing from so many lights being on.

     “Hey, Youngjae-ah,” Daehyun said out of the blue which made me turn my head to look at him. “is your relationship with your parents…you know…bad?”

     That was a very sudden question and also personal. I didn’t know if I could answer such a question let alone talk about my life to someone I barely met yesterday. I never even spoke about my personal life with Kyungsoo even though I knew him longer. All he knew was that my parents were workaholics, but that’s it. I never intended to tell him that they were…the worst parents to have and that my life because of them.

     “I mean…you don’t have to answer…if it’s too personal…I just wanted to know because, well…when you were talking to your housekeeper, you said something about keeping a secret from ‘them’ and I thought instantly that maybe ‘them’ referred to your parents…”

     By that time, Daehyun was fully facing me with a nostalgic expression on. I looked at him before chuckling softly.

     “It’s not bad…it’s just…”

     I really didn’t know if I could tell Daehyun, someone I just met yesterday, about my personal life.

     “I’ve always…” how could I put my words together without confusing Daehyun? “It’s as though I’m a puppet being controlled by the puppeteer which are my parents.”

     Daehyun tilted his head before furrowing his eyebrows. I didn’t know if he understood well, but I still continued explaining.

     “My life is literally controlled by my parents…I can’t decide anything for myself without my parents saying something and changing it to their liking. I can’t hang out with my friend, Kyungsoo because my parents think he is a bad influence on me even though he is a good person.”

     At that point, I somewhat wanted to cry because talking about my life was like talking about a horror film.

     “Everyday I have to practice stupid violin songs because my mom thinks that I can become the best violinist in the whole world. Hell, both my parents think that I can become the best and finest son out there! That I can be the number one guy everyone wants to get to know and all that stupid ! But you know…” I said as I felt a few tears beginning to pour out of my eyes. God, why was I such a wimp? “I never intended to do that since I was little. I don’t want to be known or popular like what my parents want…I just…”

     At that point, I could feel tears slowly running down my cheeks, but I wiped them with the back of my hand. I never expected that telling my personal life would affect me this much. I tried stopping the tears from coming out, but the fact that I was talking about…me…hurt like someone had stabbed me.

     “I don’t want to have…this…life…”

     I choked on my sobs before I felt my head going on a somewhat firm chest. Daehyun put his arms around me and began rubbing soothing circles on my back while placing his chin on top of my head.

     “It’s going to be alright, Youngjae,” he said while I continued pouring out my tears onto his jacket. I was crying so much, I was literally getting Daehyun’s jacket wet.

     Soon enough, Daehyun pulled me away from his chest and made me look at him. His eyes were shining brightly, somehow, in the darkness that was around us at the moment. Daehyun smiled at me.

     “I’m going to be here like a good friend that I am, okay?” I choked on my saliva before nodding slowly at him. He hugged me once again and I never felt this…comforting in my life. It felt as though someone was actually caring about me.

     Time had gone by so fast by the time Daehyun had dropped me off in front of my house. It was around 9:30 and my parents were surely going to be home soon. I unbuckled the seatbelt before slightly opening the door and breathing in a load of air. I looked at Daehyun before smiling at him awkwardly.

     “Um…thanks for taking me to that cliff,” I said somewhat awkwardly. Daehyun just giggled before forming an “O” shape on his mouth and snapping his fingers. I just looked at him while questioning him at the same time. I saw that he was taking his cellphone out of his back pocket before shaking it a little in front of me. At first I thought he was showing off to me about his iPhone, but then I realized he wanted my cellphone. I gave it to him nonchalantly before he flipped the phone open to show the keyboard and began tapping away on it, and then handing it back to me, smiling. I furrowed my eyebrows before taking my cellphone and checking as to what he did on my cellphone. I clicked on my contacts and realized that he had put his number along with his name being “Amazing Dae”. I rolled my eyes at the lame name he put himself as before putting my phone back in my pocket and opening the door fully.

     “I don’t get a goodbye?”

     “Bye,” I said, smirking and instantly shutting the door before walking to the front steps of my house. I unlocked the door with my keys and entered quietly. Taking my shoes off, I blew out a sigh of relief that my parents weren’t home yet.

     “Noona!”

------------------------

Idk, but I feel like they are progressing quite fast~ Hmmm... who knows~ Anyway, thank you guys so much for actually taking some of your time to read my story! ^^ I hope you guys are liking it! And thank you to the ones are commenting and to the ones who voted this story up! And lastly to my lovely subscribers! So far I have 19 and I want to thank those 19 subscribers for checking my story out and liking it! YOu guys make my day! Okay, I will leave it here~ Bye-bye! ^^