Chapter 4

When I'm With You

     As I walked out of the gate, I noticed that one figure in front of the car, waiting with her arms crossed. I rolled my eyes quickly before walking over to my mother and got in the car without waiting for her to say anything. As soon as she went inside, she looked at me before starting the engine.

     “How was school?”

     “Great,” I said nonchalantly while looking out the window.

     “Was anyone troubling you?”

     “No, mother.”

     “Did you pay attention to the teachers?”

     “Yes, I did.”

     “You didn’t eat that nasty poison food they give you, right?”

     “No,” I lied. My mother didn’t like me eating the school food because she thought it was unhealthy and filled with poison. Yet, I still ate it because I would be hungry and I never even brought home lunch. 

     “Do you have any homework to do?”

     “No,” I said while knowing exactly what my mother was going to say next.

     “Oh, good. That means more time for violin practice. I expect you to play about 7 songs, okay?” 

     “Yes…mother.”

     As my mother unlocked the door, I was thinking about today. It went well until Daehyun came up. First, he got me somewhat in trouble in English class, and then he made me listen to this English song in which I don’t even understand at all. To be honest, Daehyun wasn’t the best person out there to get to know. Better yet, he wasn't the best person out there to be friends with. But, I would be lying if I didn’t enjoy the time I was having with him in class. Usually, I would be sitting in my desk either staring blankly at the board or scribbling stuff on a paper, but having something to actually do was a new thing for me. I mean, it wasn't everyday that I got to listen to some music in class or get a tiny bit in trouble either. It actually was a nice feeling that I couldn't even describe that well.

     “Youngjae-ah!” I looked over at my mother who was already inside the house, arms crossed while waiting for me. “The door was open. Why didn't you come in?”

     “I was thinking about stuff,” I said while walking inside and heading straight to my room.

     “Dinner will be ready in about an hour! Begin your violin practice after you wash up! I expect to hear a violin in the next few minutes!” I shut the door to my room before rolling my eyes nonchalantly and lay on my bed. I didn’t want to do any practice today; hell, I never wanted to do any practice.

     As I gazed up at my white ceiling, I sighed heavily while thinking about…Daehyun. I hate to admit it, but ever since I entered the car today, all I could think about was Daehyun. It’s not that I wanted to, but it was the fact that he was very…different from me. Of course almost everyone in my school was different, but something about Daehyun just told me that…

     “Ugh…” I rubbed my eyes slowly before getting up from my bed and walked to my closet in order to change to more comfortable clothes.

     When I finished, I walked over to the corner of my room and picked up my violin with the bow next to it. Along with that, I grabbed my music book that was on the floor before putting everything on the bed. I took the stand and place it right in front of me before placing the music book on it. I picked up my violin along with the bow, and began tuning it. While I was tuning the G string, I began thinking about the two songs Daehyun showed me. What were they called again? I stopped tuning the strings, and walked over to my laptop before turning it on and typing up scare the libing sheet out of me. I had only remembered that part from the second song Daehyun had showed me. I pressed enter and so many titles showed up as “My Chemical Romance”. I clicked on the first title which was actually a video and watched it. The song began playing and lyrics popped up. I looked at the video title before noticing that the name of the song was “Teenagers”. I was reading the lyrics that were showing on the video and realized that it was teenagers scare the living out of me. Wow, I was really bad at English; worst than Daehyun when he spoke. 

     “Youngjae-ah?” Upon hearing my mother’s voice, I instantly closed my laptop and stood up quickly.

     “Yes, mother?”

     “Why aren’t you practicing?” My mother furrowed her eyebrows before looking at the closed laptop. “What were you doing?” I placed my hands in back of me and began fiddling with them because at that moment, I really didn’t know what to tell my mother. I mean, I couldn’t just tell her, “I was listing to English rock music.” She would surely scold me or something. She continued looking at me questionably, waiting for an answer. I looked over at my violin and then back at my closed laptop.

     “I…was…searching up some professional violinist,” I lied as I faced my mother. Her face changed from questionable to bewilderment and then she smiled at me.

     “Oh, well that’s good! I thought you were doing unreasonable stuff, but I’m glad you are trying to enhance your violin skills.” And with that, my mother shut the door and as I heard the footsteps slowly fading away, I opened my laptop once again.

     ----------------------

     The next morning when I was eating my breakfast, my mother came out from her room before telling me, “I’m going to be coming home late starting today.”

     “How come?”

     “Some of the employees got fired from the higher stat and they needed more people so they asked me. You could say I got promoted,” she said as she opened the fridge and took out the orange juice before grabbing a cup from the counter and pouring herself some juice. 

     “What time do you plan on coming back?”

     “Hmm…around ten?”

     “Oh,” I said as I finished my cereal. If that meant she wasn’t going to be here almost the whole day plus my father coming late as well, basically I was going to be the only one in the house including our housekeeper. “And how long is this going to be? Or is it going to be for a really long time?” My mother finished drinking her orange juice and placed the cup in the sink before grabbing her things from the counter and facing me.

     “Most likely I’m going to be coming home late for the time-being.” She walked over to me and placed a kiss on my forehead. “I’m sorry I can’t drop you off, but Yoona will drop you off so don’t worry.” She placed one more kiss on my forehead before heading out of the house. Not to be mean to my mom, but I was glad that Yoona noona was going to drop me off to school for the rest of the school year. As if on cue Yoona noona, our housekeeper and my driver, came out of her room while yawning. She was still in her pajamas and her hair was very messy. I chuckled from looking at her before calling her.

     “Noona…are you going to drop me off like that?” She yawned once again before shaking her head.

     “No…I’m going to the bathroom,” she said as if she was still asleep. I laughed at her before getting up and placing my dishes in the sink and walked over to the living room. My backpack was on the sofa from where I placed it and I grabbed it. I opened it to check if I was missing anything when Yoona noona walked in…still in her pajamas with messy hair. She walked to the front door and put her shoes on. 

     “Let’s go,” she said as she opened the door. I laughed at her before getting up and walked to the door to put on my shoes. Once we were inside the car, Yoona noona started the engine and we drove off. “How was the first day?”

     “It was…weird…?”

     “What? Why?” I looked at my noona before looking out the window.

     “Well…I met this guy…and he just…I don’t know…we became friends…” All of a sudden, noona stopped the car on the side before staring at me. She furrowed her eyebrows while smirking. I just awkwardly looked at her while holding onto my seatbelt.

     “Youngjae-ah…are you…gay?” Upon hearing that, I straightened up and glared at noona. 

     “Why do you think that? I just said we became friends!” Noona laughed loudly before starting the engine again and going back in the road.

     “Well, you sounded like one of those high school girls that talk about the guy they like,” she said while laughing. I just continued glaring at her while holding onto my seatbelt in case she was going to stop the car again. For one, I WASN’T gay; I liked girls and I will forever like them. Second of all, why did Yoona noona even think that? 

     “Noona…I’m not gay,” I said straightforwardly. I didn’t want her to begin assuming things that weren’t even true in the first place.

     “I know that, Youngjae-ah…but you never know what could happen in the near future,” she said which made me roll my eyes at her.

     “I’m never going to like the same and I know that for a fact,” I said.

     “Whatever you say, Youngjae-ah…whatever you say~” By that time, we were already in front of the school gates. I took off my seatbelt before opening the door. “Oh yeah! I’m picking you up after school from now on, okay?” I just nodded at her before closing the door and walking over to the school gate. From where I was, I could see that small person who I called my friend, Kyungsoo. He was smiling so big, it looked like he was going to rip his face off. As I’m walking over to him, Kyungsoo ran over to me and literally jumped on me.

     “What is wrong with you?”

     “Youngjae-ah~I missed you~” I tried to get him off, and when I did I playfully glared at him. Kyungsoo just pouted cutely while tilting his head to the side. I rolled my eyes at his behavior before proceeding to walk inside the school. Kyungsoo followed behind. “Speaking of missing you, where were you after school? I didn’t get to say bye to you!” I got to my locker and put the combination before fully opening it.

     “My mom was waiting for me outside the gates,” I said as I put my notebooks in the locker. I could tell Kyungsoo was eyeing me carefully because he then crossed his arms and I looked at him. “I’m serious, Kyungsoo.”

     “I don’t know, Youngjae. I feel like you were with someone else!” I closed my locker while continuing to look at Kyungsoo before flicking his forehead with my finger. “Ow!”

     “I wasn’t with no one, okay? The only person I hang out with is you!” By that time, Kyungsoo was rubbing his forehead while pouting at me.

     “Okay, okay! Jesus…” 

     The rest of the day was rather boring and I already wanted for it be 4th period. No, it wasn’t because of Daehyun for rather because it was the last class, which meant that once the bell would ring, I could go home. And speaking of Daehyun, he wasn’t there in English which made me wonder why. It was weird because during English, I kept looking at the door in case the stupid boy would come any second, panting while trying to catch his breath and saying “I got lost.” However, that never happened and I sort of felt as though the bell was never going to ring for 4th period. When it did ring, though, I quickly grabbed all of my stuff and headed straight to Study Hall.

     Since Daehyun wasn’t here, I really didn’t anticipate anything beside the fact that I was going to have nothing to do in Study Hall. When I walked in, I went over to my desk before placing my stuff on top and sitting down. The bell had yet to ring so I just placed my head on my palm while looking at the blank board. Once again, another boring class to go through until the final bell would ring. The bell rang and Mr. Nam came walking inside while texting on his cellphone. Seriously, when did he not use his cellphone?

     As he pressed the final button on his cellphone, Mr. Nam shoved it in his back pocket before clapping his hands three times. Everyone was already paying attention to him so it was rather unreasonable of him to do that.

     “Second day of class! Umm…do you guys have any homework?” Most of the class shook their heads while others shouted out a “No”. “Well…I guess it’s another free cla-“ The classroom door bursted open and in came a guy holding his bag on his shoulder; his arm going back for the bag to hang on his shoulder. Mr. Nam stared at the boy before gesturing his arm for the boy to go to his seat. During the whole time, I kept my eyes widened while keeping my mouth slightly open because, well…it was Daehyun who had just walked in.

     Once Daehyun sat his seat, Mr. Nam continued talking about it being another free period before proceeding to go to his seat and taking out his cellphone…again. No matter how much I didn’t want to, I ended up turning around in order to ask Daehyun why he wasn’t in English class.

     “Where were you during 3rd?” Daehyun placed his cheeks on both of his hands before smiling cheekily at me. 

     “Youngjae-ah,” he said, still smiling at me. “how much do you know about obedience?” I furrowed my eyebrows at his random question before shrugging my shoulders.

     “I don’t know. What does that have to do with what I asked you?”

     “Do you follow all the school rules? Like, all of them?” I instantly nodded my head because, well I did follow all the school rules. Daehyun giggled a little before blowing a raspberry. “You are such a good boy, Youngjae-ah!” 

     “Okay…?”

     “I ditched 3rd period,” he said, which left me with my mouth open. Daehyun…ditching class? Why? I mean, what did people find fun when ditching school? Just thinking about it was making me shiver. Why bother to go to school if you’re not even going to fully attend school in the first place?

     “Why’d you ditch?” I don’t know why, but I felt somewhat disappointed in Daehyun.

     “I didn’t feel like going,” he said which made me squint my eyes at him.

     “Are you kidding me?” 

     “Nope,” he said.

     At that moment, I wanted to just yell at him or something. I felt as though I was a parent wanting to scold their child for doing something bad. I just rolled my eyes at Daehyun before turning all away around to face the front. I didn’t feel like talking to him anymore because…I don’t even know.

     “Do you want to try ditching?” That question made me scoff before turning around to face Daehyun again. He still had his cheeks placed on his hands.

     “No, I don’t want to try to ditch,” I said while shaking my head slowly.

     “Why not?”

     “Because ditching is only for stupid kids who don't want to learn or do anything in their lives,” I said which I soon regretted saying once I saw Daehyun slightly widen his eyes. I bit my bottom lip before looking down at his desk. “ I…didn’t mean…I-“

     “It’s okay,” he said, smiling at me. What was with this guy? “To be honest with you, I don’t even know what I want to do after I graduate.” Daehyun placed his hands in back of his head before leaning back a little on his chair. I tilted my head a little to the right while looking at Daehyun.

     “How…come?” I don’t know why, but I felt as though I asked a personal question. Daehyun shrugged his shoulders before looking up at the white ceiling.

     “I never really thought about the future,” he said. “I never want to know what will happen after I graduate, but I soon will…and I hate it.” He looked back at me with a small smile. “That’s why I never think about it.” I would be lying if I didn’t feel somewhat bad for him.

     “I’m sure…” I bit my bottom lip while clenching my fist, “you’ll find something you like to do someday.” I soon felt as though Daehyun’s smile became brighter after I said that and he nodded his head. It felt very quiet so I just looked down at Daehyun’s desk while fumbling with my hands. 

     “Are you doing anything after school?” I instantly looked up and shook my head. Daehyun clapped his hands before leaning forward a little. “Want to hang out?” I looked into his eyes before nodding my head slowly. I didn't know why I couldn’t respond to him.