Chapter 3

When I'm With You

     Lolz I updated twice! I just couldn't wait any longer! Anyway, for some of you who might not know: 

taeji-tokki - it's a pig rabbit ^^

The two songs that Daehyun shows Youngjae - They're sung by a band called "My Chemical Romance" and if you guys want to know how they sound (if you have never heard them ^^) this one is Helena (the MV is the one Dae showed Jae) and this one is Teenagers

-------------------------------------

     “Sorry…” he sounded as if he was dying from lack of air, “I got lost.”

     Some of the students in the class giggled before it went silent again and all eyes were on the dying boy. Mrs. Lim’s eyes lifted up a little before smiling at the boy and letting him walk to an empty desk. Surprisingly, the desk behind me was empty so the boy went over to sit on it and slammed his stuff rather loud on it. Mrs. Lim didn't say anything to him after that and continued her small lecture. A few minutes into the lecture, I felt a small tap on my shoulder before hearing a small whisper of, “What’s your name?” I didn’t want to risk getting caught talking so I ignored the boy in back of me, and continued to listen to the lecture. 

     Then another tap on my shoulder was made, and I quickly rolled my eyes before turning around, glaring at the smiling boy. For one, his lips were very plump and his eyes were somewhat round with noticeable bags at the bottom. Not only that, but his black hair was all messy with some visible blonde stands in the front. He continued smiling at me before whispering for my name again. I just looked at him nonchalantly before replying to him.

     “Youngjae,” I whispered to him, turning back around to Mrs. Lim who was writing some sentences in English. I heard a small giggle before a small whisper from the guy.

     “Daehyun,” he whispered out to me too loudly, which got Mrs. Lim to look over at our side. I twisted my body a little to the front and stared at Mrs. Lim while she raised an eyebrow at me and Daehyun. I kept silent while mentally cursing at Daehyun. Mrs. Lim didn't tell us anything and continued on her lecture. I didn’t want to get caught again so for the rest of the period I ignored Daehyun, and his constant bugging and tapping on my shoulder. 

     I was really glad when the bell rang to go to the final class. To be honest, I wasn’t really looking forward to the rest of the year in English class because of that guy, Daehyun. I just knew for the fact that I wouldn’t be concentrating too well in that class, and I did not like that one bit.

     Walking to my final class of the day which was just Study Hall, I felt relieved since there really wasn’t anything to do in that class hence my decision to choose it. Most of all, it was a good class for me to somewhat “recover” from that annoying guy. I entered the class, which was yet to be filled with so many loud people, and sat in the very first seat, as always. I clasped my hands together and placed them on top of my thighs while looking down at my desk which had some little marks here and there. I blew out a raspberry and tried to trace the marks with my eyes.

     The first day of school would be over in an hour and I was actually hating it. Just knowing the fact that I would be seeing my parents once I got home had me feel…sad. I didn’t want to hear stuff like “Don’t spend too much time socializing” or “You paid attention, right?”. It was just so annoying to the point where I hated it to the extreme. School was the only place outside of my house that I could actually go to. Not only that, but the fact that I could talk to someone my age whether it was that annoying guy or Kyungsoo made me feel more…alive.

     I didn’t realize the second bell had rung for the beginning of class until the teacher had entered the classroom. I continued to look at the teacher, waiting for his greetings and introduction paragraph on how this school year would go by so fast like a roller coaster.

     “Hello, class. My name is Mr. Nam and I’ll be your Study Hall teacher…obviously,” he said which made the class giggle. “There’s really nothing much to say since this class is just for studying so…I hope you have a good year as Seniors…and…yeah,” he said before nodding his head as if he was jamming to music and clapping his hands. “So…yeah…study…I guess.” And with that, Mr. Nam went to go sit at his desk before taking out his cellphone.

     As if on cue, the class door slammed open and surprising as it is, that annoying guy entered…panting like he was dying…again. Everyone who was in the class, including me, looked at the annoying guy before Mr. Nam coughed awkwardly.

     “So…are you in this class?”

     “Y…es…,” Daehyun said while trying to get a load of air in his lungs. “I got lost.” 

     “I see,” Mr. Nam said before furrowing his eyebrows and going on his cellphone once again, which made Daehyun take it as an “Okay”.

     I instantly looked down at my desk so that he wouldn't spot me, but nothing goes well and I saw Daehyun sit down on the desk behind me; which was not surprising at all since no one had taken that desk. I chose to ignore him and took out some piece of paper from my notebook before grabbing a pencil. I began to scribble on the paper. I did not want to be bothered by that guy like in last period. 

     “Hey, Youngjae!” I bit my lip and continued to ignore him while scribbling on my paper. A screeching sound was made and I turned my head around to see Daehyun moving his desk next to mine while smiling. I rolled my eyes before landing my hand on my forehead and sighing. As soon as Daehyun sat on his desk, he instantly grabbed my scribbled paper and analyzed it carefully as if it were a secret code.

     “I don’t know what this says,” he said while beginning to squint his eyes. “Is it a secret code or what?”

     “It’s just scribbles,” I said before snatching the paper back from him and putting my pencil over it. I looked at Daehyun who furrowed his eyebrows at the paper before turning his gaze at me.

     Seriously, why was this guy talking to me? Couldn’t he had gone to another group of people who actually did want to talk to him? And the fact that we didn’t even know each other made it more weird and just plain awkward. I glanced over at my pencil before grabbing it and began playing with it by tapping it on the desk. For one, my mother would get exasperated from the constant tapping of the pencil on the desk and would tell me to stop.

     “So what do you do for fun?”

     “I play the violin,” I said as I looked at Daehyun who had a face full of questions. “It’s not even fun anymore when you have to practice every day.” This shocked Daehyun because he then widened his eyes while having his mouth open.

     “Why don’t you tell your parents you don’t want to play it anymore?”

     “It’s not as easy as you think.” Daehyun tilts his head to side.

     “Why? I mean, your parents need to understand that you can choose your own decisions at this age.” I continued tapping the pencil on the desk.

     “Well, they don’t understand and I don’t think they will ever.”

     “Not if you try to tell them,” he said, which made me stop tapping the pencil and glare at him. Daehyun just continued to look at me nonchalantly.

     “You wouldn’t understand,” I said before looking down at my desk and wanting to shut myself away from the world at that moment. A firm grip went on my shoulder and I looked over at Daehyun who had a small smile on his face.

     “Okay, okay. I don’t understand!”

     “Damn right, you don’t,” I said which then made me feel guilty after from the way I said it to him. Daehyun shrugged his shoulders before grabbing the pencil and the paper filled with scribbles. I looked at what he began to draw which looked like a huge circle, and then he started to draw bunny ears on them. Daehyun then drew a pair of big eyes and a nose. The final thing he drew on the animal was a big smile with whiskers around the nose. He dropped the pencil, lifting up the paper, and showed me, what looked like, a rabbit. I raised an eyebrow before looking over at him. He lifted his head up, trying to tell me to look at the picture.

     “Is it supposed to be a rabbit?”

     “Well, I was going for a taeji-toki, but a rabbit could work too!” Daehyun shoved the drawing to my chest before moving his desk back to where it was originally. “You better keep it! I made it with a lot of effort!” To be honest, I didn’t want the badly-drawn rabbit (which was originally supposed to be a taeji-toki?), but I felt bad so I put it inside my backpack before looking at Daehyun to see what he was doing. He was tapping his fingers with his eyes closed on the desk while mumbling something so low, I had to lean really close in order to hear. 

     “What’s the worst thing I can say? Things are better if I stay. So long and goodnight; so long and goodnight.” It sounded, for sure, like English except I didn’t know what Daehyun was actually saying since it was very difficult to hear. “Teenagers scare the living out of me. They can care less as long as someone’ll bleed.” The one question that popped up in my head was what exactly was he talking about? 

     “What are you saying?” Daehyun stopped tapping fingers and opened his eyes, gasping.

     “You heard me?”

     “Yes,” I said while nodding.

     He giggled before taking out something from his pocket and placed it on the desk. It was an IPod along with a pair of earphones wrapped around it. I looked at Daehyun who unwrapped the earphones from the IPod before giving me one of them to put in my ear.

     “Aren’t we going to get in trouble?”

     “No, he’s too busy to even care what we’re doing.” I take one glance at Mr. Nam, who was laughing while tapping away on his phone, and put the earphone in my ear. Daehyun was tapping away on his IPod before placing it flat on the desk. A video was beginning to play. A minute into the video, I began to form questions.

     “Why are they dancing in a church?”

     “Because it’s the girl’s funeral, duh.”

     “But that doesn’t explain why-“

     “Just shut up, Youngjae, and enjoy the video,” he said which made me continue to look at the video. All of a sudden, the dead girl got up from her coffin and started dancing across the aisle.

     “I thought she was dead?”

     “She is,” Daehyun said, concentrating on the video. “They’re praying.” 

     “Oh,” I said while watching the girl dancing. Soon after, the guys were carrying the coffin outside…and it was raining.

     “This is a sad video,” I said as the video soon came to an end. Daehyun nodded his head in agreement.

     “But it’s such an awesome video at the same time! Plus, the song is daebak!”

     “What’s the song called?”

     “Helena,” he said in his bad English. “Helena.” I see that Daehyun tapped on his IPod before a song started to play. Even though I didn't know what they were saying that much, the song became really catchy after a while.

     “What is this song called?”

     “Teenagers,” Daehyun said. “Teenagers.”

     “Okay, you don’t have to say it in English as well,” I said, rolling my eyes at Daehyun who was too busy singing the song.

     “They say now teenagers scare the living out of me. They could care less as long as someone’ll bleed,” he sang.

     I wanted to laugh at him because his English was just so bad, but what could I say when I had bad English too? Soon enough, Mr. Nam stood up from his chair and got everyone to pay attention to him. I took out the earphone out of my ear before handing it back to Daehyun and turned my body all the way to the front. Mr. Nam smiled brightly at all of us before checking the time on his cellphone.

     “Okay, so the bell is about to ring and…yeah. Enjoy the rest of your day, and…yeah…Welcome back, by the way!” And with that, Mr. Nam went back to sit on his chair and took out his phone right when the bell rang for the end of school. I grabbed my backpack and stood up. I was walking towards the door when someone grabbed onto my shoulder. 

     “Hey, there buddy! You’re going to leave me?”

     “Well, school is over so…I guess?” Daehyun and I were already out of the classroom when he made a small pout and began to shake my shoulder.

     “Youngjae-ah~Why are you so mean to me?”

     “Well…let’s see,” I placed my index finger on my bottom lip before looking at Daehyun. “I just met you today so that doesn’t really make us friends and I always have to leave quickly once the bell rings or else my mom will get mad at me for being late.” Daehyun stopped in his tracks before nodding his head in understand, and then randomly wrapped his arm around my shoulder.

     “Well, then starting right now we’re friends!”

     I simply rolled my eyes at his childish behavior while proceeding to leave the school building. By the time we were out of the building, I took Daehyun’s arm off my shoulder and looked straight at him. 

     “Okay, this is goodbye,” I said before walking off to the front gate where I surely knew my mom was waiting for me. I didn’t want my mother to see Daehyun and me walking because I knew she was going to start assuming things about him and I just didn’t want to deal with any of that. It’s bad enough that she doesn’t like me hanging out with Kyungsoo so why do it with Daehyun? It’s not like she would actually have the time to really listen to me on what I would say about the people I hang out with, anyway.