Chapter 8

My Lovely Sister

Remember I said Tiffany was the only girl for me, then what was I doing here with a random girl at a cafe enjoying a nice drink while playing third wheel on Sunny's date. Glancing over at the overly loving couple at the table to my right, I made a face. It was suppose to just be me and Sunny but for some reason her boyfriend tagged along, bringing another girl. 

 

Being a third wheel wasn't exactly the right word since before this situation started, Sunny always had this weird glint of joy in her eyes. The moment we "coincidentally" bumped into her boyfriend, Sungmin plus the tag along girl Jade, it almost seemed like a double date. The thought was confirmed when Sunny leaned close to my ear and whispered "She's into girls too."

 

She must have thought I was having trouble coping with the fact Tiffany is dating and decided maybe it's time I should focus my sight on another girl who's actually interested in girls. I knew spilling the event about the night before was a terrible idea. Bringing me to the awkward situation of this supposedly.... set-up date.

 

"So any hobbies?" Jade's voice chimed into my thoughts. My eyes shifted around back to her porcelain skin and that smile that had been etched on her face since the whole set up date began. Fiddling with my straw, I tried to seem as interested in the conversation. She was Sunny's friend, so I didn't want to come across as rude but it was hard to hide boredom. Maybe I shouldn't hang around Jessica anymore.

 

"I guess you could say I like singing." I said lightly, trying to keep eye contact, but my eyes unconsciously wonder to the clock hung at the wall behind her. It had only been 30 minutes, how come it felt longer.

 

"You don't come across as very interested in me." Her voice snapped me out of my daze once more. Flustered at the thought of being caught, my straw continue to stir my drink, trying hard to come up with a reason. But my brain decided to stay blank, just like it did for the past 30 minutes, the minute this entire meaningless conversation started. "I heard from Sunny you were into girls but you don't seem too interested. Am I not pretty enough for you?"

 

"N-no." My hands in air shaking in denial. "You're pretty, I'm just not really interested in knowing anyone like 'that' yet." Jade was actually pretty, her light blonde hair fell neatly past her shoulder with loose curls at the end, her skin was nice and white, plus one look at her you wouldn't even think she would be lesbian. She was pretty but she was nothing like Tiffany

 

She let out a light chuckle, "Did you just go through a break-up? If you don't mind me asking."

 

I didn't know why I hesitated over the question but I did. "I rather not explain, it's a crazy long story." There was no reason for me to explain my pathetic- nonexistent love life to a stranger. Her lips parted but before words came out my phone beeped and both our gazes shifted onto the phone. I gave a apologetic smile before checking the message. It was from Jessica.

 

J:When are you coming back? 

 

My fingers rested on my phone for a second then switched the screen off. Jessica could leive without me. It wasn't as if I was responsible for taking care of her, she's seventeen for god sake's. The screen brightened again with another message only this time I turned off my phone. Ignoring the message I looked back at Jade with a assuring smile.

 

"You're not going to answer?"

 

"No, it's nothing important." 

 

"I see." She rested her chin on her palm. "So what do you want to talk about, for the next-" She looked over at the couple then back at me, "-until they are done with their date."

 

"What do you want do you want to talk about?" I reverse the question back, screw Sunny for making me sit through this, she of all people should know how ridiculously awkward I get around strangers. This was the worst idea ever.

 

"How did you know you liked girls?" The question came out of the blue causing me to choke on my drink. I coughed a bit, and wiped my mouth with a napkin, before looking at her incredulously, she held a playful grin, "Are you okay?"

 

"Where did that come from?"

 

She gave a careless shrug, "Just curious, most girls play around before deeming they're not interested in guys. Unless you play for both teams?"

 

"What about you?"

 

She grinned, "You can never be too sure unless you try."

 

"I don't need to try, I know my preferences." 

 

"Have you kissed anyone before?"

 

I debated on the question, Jessica was technically speaking my first kiss, but was that even considered kiss, can it just be brushed by as a friendly sisterly peck. Zoning out, I didn't realize Jade was staring me the entire time. Sighing, I honestly didn't want to talk about anything related to relationships or topics intersecting it as well. Jade was a refreshing person but it's hard when I'm just looking for a bit of Tiffany in her. I wonder if I'll ever like anyone the same way.

 

***

 

Tiredly I pushed open the door, the double date officially wore me out. Four hours of my life taken and in the end it ended with a awkward smile and bye, she probably has no interest in me but at least the feeling was mutual. Slipping out if my sneakers, I didn't bother with placing them onto the rack and continued into the living room. The sound of sizzling and chopping floated into my ears. I hadn't put much thought into it till I was almost up the stairs. In a swift jump down the steps I ran into the kitchen. And to my worst nightmare Jessica was in there, hair tired into a messy bun with a apron and knife in her hand.

 

"What are you doing?!" I screeched, voice reaching to a whole new octave. Sliding over I snatched the knife out of her hand and quickly turned off the fire. She had a startled look on her face but I was knee deep into a heart attack. Her face reverted back into her signature blank face, an expression she always has when things don't go her way. She turned around and pulled out the drawer looking for the other knife. Grabbing onto her wrist I stopped her again. "Are you listening?

 

"What does it look like?" Jessica pulled her hand away from my touch, harshly if I may add. "Mind your own business."

 

"What's up with you?" I frowned, closing the drawer before she could pulled out another knife. God, this girl was always so freaking bipolar. One minute she clinged and the next she wants nothing to do with me. Honestly make up your mind, I internally screamed.

 

"Can you leave me alone?" Her voice raising a bit.

 

"Oh please." I rolled my eyes, leave her alone. That was exactly what I wanted from her since day one. Unbelievable. "And what would you do? Cook?"

 

"Why do you care?"

 

The nerve of her. I could feel my throat tightening, and a boiling feeling brewing at the pit of stomach. If I didn't care about her I would have left her to fend for herself the minute out parents left. She wasn't even my blood sister, why do I have to feel obligated to look after and pamper her like a princess. What a ungrateful little- I shook my head. "You're really somethi-"

 

She exhaled a loud sigh like I was bothersome eyesore while taking off the apron, throwing it blindly onto the table and pushing pass me. I called after her. "Hey!"

 

"I'm was trying to make food if you're too blind to notice." Jessica snapped at me, when I followed her out of the kitchen, "Why don't you just continue ignoring me since that's what yo-u did when I asked you to buy med-" She voice cracked in between. She let out a slight cough and glared at me. Mentally I face palmed myself, the fact she was sick had completely slipped my mind. And the sudden thought of what the message was hit me like a bullet train. But it wasn't even my responsibility to take care of her, why do I have to even feel the slightest guilt.

 

The irrational side of me took over. I had a life of my own too, I was just so tired to deal with everything last one of her problem like it was mine. I hated the fact Jessica always thought the world revolved around her. She was practically a grown woman yet she couldn't even do have the things a child could. So pampered, it was so annoying. Every single goddamn time.

 

"Sorry I must really be blind." I sneered back at her, "But don't you have to legs to walk out the house and buy your own medicine and food or are you just too sick to even lift a finger?"

 

Her face redden. At this point I wasn't sure whether it was from the cold or anger, and I didn't care either. "I literally asked for one favor from you. Are you honestly going to blow up for that?"

 

"What do you mean one?" I quoted my fingers around that word. "You have been filled with endless favors, can't you do anything on your own for once. Why the hell do I have to treat you like some sort of queen?" Her jaws clenched but there wasn't any comebacks coming my way. I turned my heel and dug my nails into my palm. "And you know what, I don't even care if you tell dad I'm lesbian. You could ring him up right now I would even encourage you to tell him, maybe you'll finally get out of my life!" With the final feeling spurted out I ran up to my room.

 

***

 

It had literally been two days since I had spoken to Jessica. Two days since I even went home. Since our first argument I hadn't even step foot into the house instead I freeloaded off Sunny's place for the last two days. We hardly crossed paths in school and the rare times we did I always averted my direction, and avoided eye contact. Jessica did try to make some effort to converse with me but I escaped before any words slipped passed her lips. 

 

It wasn't even because I was annoyed or angry anymore. I just couldn't imagine myself suddenly just acting as if nothing happened and just walked home. Even though running doesn't solve anything, for the time being it did help. Tiredly slumping into my seat I placed my head down, this class was extremely difficult to avoid Jessica. Math class was one of the periods I shared with Jessica and it didn't help she sat right next to me. 

 

The bell rang indicating the start of the period. I pulled out my textbook and out of the corner of my eye I observed the empty seat next to me. Late as usual. Moments later the door opened and everyone's eyes shifted towards the person. Jessica casually walked in with Yoona next to her muttering a soft apology to the teacher for being late and slid into her seat. Her eyes locked with mine and I occupied myself with the long equation waiting to be solved.

 

As if it wasn't hard enough to just sit next to her the teacher decided to be extremely generous and allowed us to work in pairs, naturally it was the person next to us. Desk screeched against the floor and students shifted their desk to align with their partners, meanwhile Jessica and I stayed rooted where we are. My ears picked up a soft sigh then felt Jessica push her desk next to mine.

 

"Taeyeon..." Jessica whispered, loud enough for me to hear but still quite low. I bit the inside of my cheek and continued scribbling numbers onto the paper. Another sigh, this one was more impatient. How long are you going to continue this?"

 

"Continue what?" I innocently answered still avoiding eye contact. Jessica let out a frustrated growl. I rolled my eyes, two days, yet still the same old same old. She shifted a bit closer to me, while I didn't make a effort to move closer nor away.

 

"You know what I'm talking about." Her tone was firm yet somewhere in it sounded relenting. Or maybe I was just thinking to much. "When are you coming home? I can't believe you could hold a grudge over a little fight."

 

"Why do you care?" I scoffed at her choice of words. Of course I wasn't going to hold grudges over something so petty, the only thing keeping me from returning was her stiff attitude. All I wanted to hear from her was to admit she was wrong, for once. "What? Can't live without someone catering to your every need?" Internally I face palmed myself for letting my mouth run.

 

I felt Jessica's body tense next to mine, her hands clenched into a fist then relaxed her palm against the cool desk. "You can't honestly tell me you're still upset about what happen two days ago."

 

My jaws tightened whether it was of annoyance or anger was unclear to me but before I could lash out my feelings once more or even throw back another comeback the teacher's shrill voice cut our conversation short. "Taeyeon, Jessica, I don't want to hear you two talking if it's not about math!"

 

Both of us muttered a yes and sorry. Jessica was about to open again but I shifted my seat apart from her not enough for the teacher to question but enough to send a message that we were done talking. And even without looking I could still feel Jessica's sharp gaze on me. The period went by tediously long. Another desperate glance at the clock but time didn't seem to be rushing to go anywhere. My mind tried to focus on the jumble of problems laid out in front of me. But it was clear my brain decides to abandon me.

 

The instant the bell sound registered itself in my ears, I quickly stuffed everything into my bag and made a quick dash for the door. I didn't make it very far before a tight grip wrapped itself around my wrist. Without looking I already knew it was Jessica, her fingers were always so cold. I heard her mutter in a panting voice, the second time.

 

"Can we talk about this?" Jessica said, wearing a tried expression. "You can't ignore me forever, we're sisters."

 

"No one said we were sisters," I harshly gave my hand a tug to loosen her grip but she was surprisingly strong. "Leave me alone, I never asked for you to be in my life." Her fingers slacked around my wrist and I took the chance to walk away. After a few steps, the guilt sunk deep, but I didn't stop nor look back.

 

~~~

 

"Tell me," Sunny twirled a strand of my hair with her fingers, "How long do you plan on staying here?"

 

Swatting her intruding hands away I shrugged. My eyes focused on the set of homework displayed on the desk since an hour ago. "Probably till my dad comes back from her honeymoon." Using my fingers to quote the term cringing while I said it. I felt Sunny let out a soft sigh behind me and turned around with a accusing expression. "You don't want me here? How cruel."

 

"I don't really mind but-" She trailed off giving me a knowing look. I had made it clear that Jessica's name was officially banned from our conversation but Sunny would sometimes wonder back into it bring the topic of Jessica up, every once in awhile, just to peel on the scab of guilt. 

 

"But what?" I challenged, her eyes shifted away from mine.

 

"You know, all my years of knowing you, you didn't strike me as the type to hold grudges." Sunny slowly edged in. I gave a evident groan, again. "I was just saying, don't mind me."

 

"You've been bringing this topic up a lot these past two days." I narrowed my eyes at her, my mind rolled over every suspicion possible. "Did Jessica ask you for a favor? Did you guys talk into some sort of agreement?"

 

"Just wondering, although-" directed towards my outfit. "You should at least go home and get some change of clothes.You can't be wearing mine all the time." I hummed a low reply. Analyzing my outfit I sighed in agreement, what a pain. 

 

~~~

 

With a foot away from being into the house, I clasped my hand together and squeezed my eyes shut praying for Jessica to be outside at the moment. Taking a deep breath I quietly twisted the doorknob and slowly peered in. Silence, that was a good sign. The lights were off but it wasn't dark enough outside for the use of the light. As I walked further into the house and up the stairs I took note of how clean the house was even though I wasn't expecting a pigsty, just not this. My steps lightly made it's way towards my room.

 

Pulling open my drawer I debated which outfit to bring. Randomly grabbing a few shirts and jeans I stuffed them into the bag I grabbed from the side. After filling up the bag with at least four days worth of clothes, I moved around my room looking for other important necessities. After making sure I had everything I was about to leave the room but light footsteps made me freeze in place. 

 

Was Jessica home already? My brain was not prepared for another "talk". Instead I stayed put and waited for the steps to walk disappear. My heart thumped loudly as the steps came closer. The sound of the footsteps stopped and I took the chance to quickly make my escape. I opened the door and almost came face to face with a frying pan, thankfully my reflex weren't as bad as I thought they were. I ducked and the pan clashed with the wall with a loud ring. One hand pressed against my heart to check for a beat while the other shield my face for another hit. 

 

"Taeyeon?!" I peeked passed the elbow I held up from protection and saw Jessica tightly gripping the pan with a slight shocked edging towards relieved expression. Her grip loosened and hands dropped back onto her side. Her fingers ran through her hair and let out a what I guessed was a relieved breath. She muttered something that sounded like thank god.

 

I could still feel my pulse speeding through my system, still anxious at what had just happened or going to happen. After a moment of silence I glared at Jessica, "I know we're not on good terms but was the frying pan necessary?"

 

Jessica gave a weak apologetic smile while hiding the pan behind her back. "Sorry. I thought you might have been some thief. Since you haven't been home I didn't expect it to actually be you."

 

"You could have just ran and hid into your room." I didn't know why I was standing here scolding her. "Did you actually think you could have taken the robber down or something?" I didn't know why I haven't just ignored her and left. "Look at you you're so thin, what if I was actually a criminal-."

 

"But you're not." My ranting was stopped by Jessica short phrase. She grinned at me, "You almost sound worried for a second there."

 

"Don't be stupid." I turned away when my brain finally decided to stick to the originally plan and actually leave. I quickly jog down the steps with Jessica hot at my pursuit. When we made it to the bottom, those repetitive three words came back again. 

 

"Can we talk?" Jessica voice sounded pleading but even if the words were emotionless I would have stopped as if every time Jessica called out to be my body has a function to stop and just turn around. "Please?" I stood there, rooted still surprised her words had stopped me once again from running. I didn't reply and Jessica took it as a cue to continue. "I thought about what you said and I guess you were sort of right. I was being stubborn and annoying-" She breathed in, "-and I just want to say I'm sorry for being such a-"

 

"?" I offered, turning to face her. Fully expecting her to snap at me but her hands just reached over to grab her other arm. 

 

"I was going to say inconsiderate sis-" She stopped at the word, averting her eyes from mine she continued. "-person... but I guess you have the right to call me a . I won't argue with that."

 

Both of us stood there waiting,I wasn't exactly still angry but what do you say to someone who just somewhat sincerely apologized. Curse my lack of social skills. Instead of the usual comforting "it's okay" then hug, I rubbed the back of my neck and bit back the urge to smile. "Wow, what happen to you for the last two days. Did the medicine have some aftermath? 

 

Her lips pursed. "You're so-" Her hands crossed at her chest, "Is that all you could say after my sincere apology?"

 

"At least I didn't just turned and walked away, so that's an improvement."Ugh, what was I saying. Taeyeon get a hold of yourself, can't you just say its alright or at least not be an idiot about it. 

 

"You're unbelievable." She huffed, "I can't believe that's all you have to say after all that I said.Do you know how long it took me to-" Her ranting was interrupted with a low growl. This time I couldn't contain myself from laughing, Jessica's face flushed with embarrassment, as I tried to chock out words. "Yah... stop laughing."

 

I wiped away a stray tear and calmed myself down, "I guess we can argue after we eat." Jessica didn't argue with that and trailed along, I stopped and abruptly and looked back at Jessica with a cat-like grin. "And I don't think you deserved to be called a since you're my cute dongsaeng." 

 

Jessica cringed at the term, "Yup, you were right, I'm sorry I ever called you unnie. Don't ever call me that again." We shared a laugh. That moment I wished I didn't turn around so soon, then maybe I could have another look at the small sincere smile played at her lips.

 

~~~

 

Surprise! Wow it's been so long, I finally sat my down and updated this chapter. I don't know if I'm back for good but here's the latest chapter. This chapter was seriously all over the place since some part I wrote months ago, or weeks and then today. Sorry it took me so long to update I haven't had the feeling of updating but people messaged me about the story and I figured I should probably update this so here I am. Is anyone still with me on this story? XD feedbacks would be nice. Also thanks for those of you who are still reading. <33