Chapter 2

My Lovely Sister

Never once have I question my own actions before, but that moral has officially been thrown out the window. Today was practically forty degrees and here I am waiting, standing out in front of the school gate waiting for a certain selfish brunette to get her out of school. My dad personally asked me to wait for Jessica and made sure she got home safely, making sure no harm was brought upon her, apparently I'm a bodyguard now.

 

I tried waiting for her after class but that task was simply impossible. We both have classes together yet I hardly caught a glimpse of her. The moment she came into the school she automatically gained her own fan club of boys. During lunch I was going to be the nice kind step sister watching out for her sister but that apparently was unnecessary. Jessica had already settled in fine with the popular group of kids in the school. They weren't a group I say were the best influences except Tiffany. She was an exception, she wasn't snobby, nor a diva. That's what I liked about her, and I would say we got along fine.

 

The entire day Jessica acted as if we didn't know each other, not that I was complaining. But now I am, it irked me that I still hadn't left. It annoyed me that I was still here waiting for her, not to mention the thought I might actually get hypothermia. I hated that had to watch out for her.

 

Rubbing my hand together and tucked them in my pocket trying to preserve as most warmth as possible, while watching my breath become visible due to the cold weather. I sighed in frustration, not only did I not have her number, but I ditched my best friend, Sunny just to stand out in the cold. Okay I thought to myself, I'm going to count to ten and if she's still not here I'm leaving.

 

10...9....8...7...6...5...

 

I paused for a short second to look around my surrounding, only a few students who still had club were in sight.

 

4...3...2...1

 

Oh well she isn't here might as well leave, I reasoned with myself but by body seems to function separately with my mind. I stayed rooted to my spot having the heavy feeling that if I actually left Jessica she might get lost. Fine another ten seconds, but before I could repeat my countdown I heard Jessica's voice along with a group of others.

 

Out of reflex I moved out of sight but stayed near to the gate. I peeked out from behind the nearest tree I could find. Jessica walked out of the gate with a few other faces I recognized. There was Kai, Yoona, Kris, Tiffany, Taecyeon and finally Jessica. I rolled my eyes, so while she spent her time hanging around school grounds with her new "friends" I was outside freezing my off.

 

Continuing to observe the group that decided now that they have walked out of school, it's time to waste their time in front of it. I will never understand popular kids, and again Tiffany was an exception. She always is and always will be.

 

I watched as Jessica link arms with Tiffany and fooled around with the other guys. She slapped Kai in the arm after some words that left Kai's mouth but I couldn't quite make it out. Staring at the scene where Kai flicked Jessica's forehead, while Jessica cute- grossly pretends to be mad but there was clearly a grin on her face, the others cooing around them. I rolled my eyes, unbelievable.

 

I leaned against the tree. God I feel like an idiot right now. 

 

Finally after deciding I had enough of all the flirting I was about to walk away, but for some reason I peeked out to glance at Jessica one last time. The moment I looked out from behind the tree Jessica happened to look the same way, our eye's sort of made contact until I quickly hid back behind the tree. Okay, now it's time to leave, I muttered to myself before quickly taking off.

 

I didn't make it very far from the school grounds before hearing Jessica's voice from a distance. Paying no attention to her constant call for me I resumed my fast paced walking hoping she would get off my track. For a second I thought I had lost her, just when I was about to look behind me, cold fingers gripped tightly onto my wrist holding me in place, causing me to jump in shock.

 

I looked back at the owner, my eyes meet with a mouth parted Jessica panting for air, with a look that varied from annoyed to confused.

 

"Why did you run away, and why didn't you stop when I call your name?" Jessica demanded, furrowing her brow in a way where it seemed cute yet y all at the same time. Deciding to play dumb I mustered my best confused expression.

 

"What are you talking about?" I rose a brow, "I wasn't running and I didn't hear you at all."

 

Jessica's frowned stayed etched on her face. "Liar."

 

I resisted the urge to roll my eyes, which happened to be my default reaction every time I'm around Jessica. "Why would I be lying?" I innocently answered, playing the dumb card for as long as I needed to.

 

"Thanks to you I threw aside my motto," She huffed, "Take a minute to feel special." This time I didn't stop myself from rolling my eyes, I gave a shrug not even bothering to ask about her stupid motto. At this point all I wanted to do is to go home and look myself in my room away from Jessica as possible.

 

She gave me a long hard look, but sighed at my stubbornness, "Fine, let's go grab something warm to drink at Starbucks. Your treat."

 

"No way." I immediately protested, "You have your own money and why should I listen to you."

 

Jessica had a smudged look on her face,  "I think you forgot our conditions." 

 

I face palmed myself, of course, how could I have forgotten the day my nightmare had started. Flashing back to the first day Jessica arrived at my house, she had deduced my uality after observing my expression of her half self which I thought should have been a normal reaction and Tiffany's name saved in my phone, just because I added a few hearts.

 

Now that I thought about it I didn't make much an effort to deny the fact. Maybe it was because I let my look of relief slip when she claimed she wasn't going to tell our parents or maybe I just didn't have a brain that day. I even remember her exact words.

 

"Don't worry I won't be that harsh on the conditions." Which I gradually learned was an absolute lie. But that wasn't until later on.

 

The conditions had been:

1. If she was seen with her boyfriend or a guy, I would keep my mouth shut about it.(Apparently "mom" is strict about dating)

2.I had to help her do all her chores, including homework

3. I had to give into her demands at least twice in one day

 

The first one I could obviously care less, she could fool around with as many guys as she wanted and I wouldn't bat an eye. That hadn't really been a problem. It was the other two conditions that made my life a living hell, in fact I bet even hell is a better place than living with her. 

 

Jessica continued to stare at me waiting for my reaction, I gave in with a sigh. "My treat." I muttered in defeat. I question why I give in so easily, why Jessica has a hold on me, a grip so tight I'll probably never break free. Maybe I was scared my dad might find out, or maybe Jessica was just good at manipulating me to her will.

 

 

At Starbucks I ordered a venti sized cameral cappuccino while Jessica order mocha. We both sat quietly across from each other, sipping on the hot drink. I wasn't planning on making conversation anytime soon and I hoped Jessica felt the same way. Each time we talked my energy slowly depletes little by little. It was like having my soul being away leaving me energy less.

 

"Hey Taeyeon." Jessica started, crushing my hopes of not making conversation. I answered with a hum. "I remember you said you like Tiffany right?"

 

I almost choked on my drink then looked up back at Jessica who patiently waited for my answer. "I never said that."

 

"Fine, you implied it." Jessica re-worded, "Same thing, the fact doesn't change you're interested in her."

 

"No, I'm not." I answered, too eager for my liking. I could feel face heat up, traveling to my ear as well, quickly I brought my hands up to cover them. "Why are you so interested in my life anyway, I'm sure you're life is very more fascinating." I managed to counter despite being so flustered.

 

Ignoring my comment Jessica studied my face closely, great here comes Sherlock Jessica again. "Whatever." She said in a monotone voice. "But if you are I just want you to know Tiffany's probably the straightest girl I ever meet. No one's as boy crazed as she is and I just meet her today."

 

I stayed mum, not wanting to convey my feelings rashly. "You would just end up with a broken heart, you know." 

 

I narrowed my eyes at Jessica, that was the final hit. "Stop talking like you know everything. So what if I like Tiffany, so what if she doesn't feel the same way. What do you care!" I replied sharply. I hate how Jessica talks like she understands everything. She just walks into my life wrecking my routine, causing endless amount of problems, making me suffer in the cold, now she's talking like she's some love therapist. "I listen to your conditions, you should at least respect my privacy."

 

The minute the words sink into both of our minds Jessica had a guilty look on her face making me feel twice the guilt. I hadn't meant for my words to come out so sharply but I hated my personal grounds being invaded by some stranger. Yes, although we're sisters, we are basically strangers under a name.

 

"You're right, I shouldn't ask such personal questions." Jessica said with a sigh. "Sorry."

 

Great, now the quilt was eating me alive. She had to go and apologize, after all the torture she put me through she apologizes now. I stayed quiet, finding a sudden interest in staring at my cup of cappuccino. The silence continues to loom over us, till Jessica suggested we should start walking home before mom got worried. I complied without a word.

 

 

The walk home was just a awkward. Jessica made no actions to start a conversation, and me being socially awkward didn't really knew what to say. The wind wasn't really strong but it was still cold. Even without the wind I was freezing to my toes. I glanced over at Jessica watching her shiver in her light coat, wrapping her coat as closely to herself as possible.

 

I sighed, remember I constantly said I hate this, I hate that. What I really hate was the fact Jessica always seems to be pulling my heart strings, convincing myself it was all because I was connected to her now and she was still sort of like a younger sister to me. I couldn't ignore that. I know I'm too nice.

 

Taking off my scarf, I pulled Jessica who was walking ahead back and wrapped it around her neck. Her eyes widen at my act, but it relaxed into a smile. "Stop making me feel gulity for making you angry."

 

I was taken back by her comment. She feels guilty? Well that's a first. I shrug and continued walking the sun was setting and the air was getting colder. I snuggled my face into the collar of my jacket as a wind blew by. Damn it was cold. I felt familiar hands stop me, just when I was about to question it I felt Jessica wrapped the scarf around both of us. She linked her arms with mine and gave me a quick smile.

 

I blushed at how close her face was to mine. I looked away, biting my lips. "You're so bipolar."

 

"I get that a lot."

 

We continued walking this time in comfortable silence, Jessica always have me making second thoughts. Her actions are so unpredictable, one minute she's cold and chic and the next she acts caring and sweet. She manages to make me constantly think I dislike her yet at the same time enjoy her company. Those rare moment like this. I wish there were more times like this. But like I said before she's always making have second thoughts.

 

"Taeyeon, about our calculus homework." Jessica looked at me with cute puppy eyes, I have a feeling I know where this was going "You're good at that subject right? Help me finish it later. Oh and my English essay."

 

I sighed, always making me have second thoughts.

 


 

A/N: I deserve a round of applause for this quick update. Also for the Taengsic moment at the end. Thanks for those who comment their thoughts on the first chapter, thank you very much they mean a lot to mean even though I don't reply to some. You guys are the reason I updated this chapter so quickly. Jessica is sort of bipolar in this and Taeyeon torn between hating and liking Jessica. I thought the ending might be a bit sudden since they've just known each other but  it's all good right? Anyway again thanks for commenting, it gives me motivation to write. See you next update.