Chapter 6

My Lovely Sister

The music boomed around me was deafening, just as much as the loud screaming. Regret beguan to kick in even before we made it past the front door, and suddenly I yearn for the comfy spot at my desk. Nervously I weaved around the groups of teenagers crowded by the doorway, I desperately clutched onto the back of Jessica's cardigan like a kid afraid of getting lost. My stomach turned and twist in nausea, eyes shifted from one side to another. I recognized some faces from school but most were strangers bumping and grinding against each other. 

 

"Are you okay?" I jumped at the voice that whispered against my ear. I quickly turned my head and collided forehead with Jessica. She winced and moved back rubbing her forehead, looking at me with a scowl. "Loosen up, gosh."

 

I shot her an apologetic look, but still refused to let go of her cardigan. "I'm not use to this kind of place."

 

Jessica let out a sigh, and gave my hand that was tightly gripping onto her cardigan a glance before looking back at me. "Just relax and try to fit in, everyone here is practically drunk, no ones going to even care."

 

Slowly I nodded my head but stilling kept the grip. Jessica rolled her eyes and tried to shake my hand away. Hesitantly, I let go but still kept a close distance to Jessica. "When are we leaving?"

 

"Really Taeyeon? We just got here." Jessica whisper screamed into my ear but it was still drowned in the loud booming music. "And stop scrunching up my shirt, your grip is going to wrinkle it."

 

"Are you going to leave me alone, in this crowded mess." I gave her hopeful eyes, knowing her, she would probably walk off leaving me to fend for myself. She rubbed her temple and muttered something inaudible under her breath. She shot me a annoyed look.

 

"If I knew you were this anti social, and reluctant to be at a party I should've left you at home." Jessica groaned, shaking her head. "Just relax and enjoy yourself you're going to love this and it will do you some good."

 

"You were the one who dragged me out." I shot back, the nerve of her. Being the one who force me to tag along with her, why was she complaining when I was the one who's suffocating in this overcrowded mess of a party and having a massive headache with each thump of a beat

 

"You're right. My bad, sorry for being a considerate si-" Jessica's explosive sarcasm was cut short when a fairly good looking guy around our age casually walked over. His footing was a bit tipsy he rested his palms on a table as he gave Jessica a boyish grin which she returned with a sweet smile.

 

"Hey Jessica, it took you pretty long to get here." With the grin still on his face he handed Jessica a red cup filled with what I'm guessing is alcohol which Jessica gladly accepted, giving the cup a light sip. While my nose wrinkled at the smell of alcohol that emitted as two people stumbled pass me. I pressed myself closer to Jessica.

 

"I guess so. Were you waiting for me?" Jessica gave him a teasing grin, a look I was far to familiar with. For a moment a sudden wave of irritation washed over me, but it disappeared as quickly as it came. Guess she this familiar with everyone.

 

"Of course, you're the highlight of my night." He smoothly replied , I almost gaged at how this conversation was going. Was I going to have to listen to these cheesy lines all night long. Suddenly I yearn for the comfy spot in front of my desk, away from this chaos. 

 

"What a smooth talker." Jessica rolled her eyes playfully, crossing her arms. "Do you talk to every girls like this?" 

 

He gave a light chuckle, he moved closer to Jessica and was about to wrap his arm around her waist until our eyes meet breaking the invisible cloak around me and he looked over at Jessica with a confused look. "Who's she? Your friend?"

 

"Oh. Her." Jessica acknowledge my existence again, "She's my-" Jessica paused, hesitant over what to make of our relationship. She looked over at me, but all I gave was a shrug. "My sister, I guess."

 

I wasn't sure whether I should be surprised that Jessica introduced me as her sister or the fact she even bother to acknowledge my existence. I felt uneasy with his eyes on me, probably doesn't believe that we're related, technically we're not. He cocked his head to one side trying to piece any evidence of us being sister. While I tried to shifted away from his questioning gaze.

 

"I never knew you had a sister." 

 

"Well to be fair you only knew me for a week."

 

"That's true. Anyway nice knowing you," He gave me his million dollar smile that would make any girl squeal, too bad I wasn't into boys. Jessica eyed me, trying to signal something with her eye but I only frowned. She gave me an exasperated look, only this time I rolled my eyes. How was I suppose to understand eye language. "Do you mind if I borrowed Jessica?"

 

Frowning, and was going to counter with I do mind but Jessica gave me an evil eye.

 

"Ryan, give me a second." Hastily Jessica dragged me along by the wrist quickly pulling me away. She continue to drag me around avoiding drunken teenagers while glancing around.

 

"Who are you looking for?" I tried my best to keep up with her fast pace walking and avoiding crashing into people. I thought she was going to throw me out of the house and tell me to make my way home or tell me to sit in a corner quietly while she made out with that guy but instead she kept pulling me along. "Are you listening?"

 

She stopped abruptly, making me collide straight into her. "There." She pointed at a group of people. I looked over her shoulder, following the direction of her finger, when I wasn't sure what she was pointing to I looked back at Jessica with a confused face. She grasped my face and turned my head back in that direction, "I'm talking about Tiffany. Red hair, kind of hard to miss."

 

I looked back and my eyes focused on the only red head of the group, she was laughing hard while leaning onto her friend's shoulder balancing herself out. Immediately I rejected the idea, besides why would Tiffany ditch her group of friends to hang with me and I was definitely not going to walk over and socialize with a group of pretty faces. Turning back to Jessica along to find her already walking away, briskly I caught up to her, grabbing ahold of her wrist. 

 

"You can't expect me to go there." I gave her an uneasy look. She groaned in response. 

 

"You're such a baby, just walk over there and talk." She spun me back around and gave me a light shove on the back. "I thought you wanted to talk to Tiffany."

 

"I did, but not five other people." I retorted, refusing to let go of Jessica's wrist. 

 

"That's how you make new friends Einstein." She shook her hand a bit, hoping to loosen my grip. Jessica looked back at Ryan then back at me, she ran her fingers through her hair in frustration.

 

"But I-" I cast my gaze down onto my shoes and heard Jessica sigh.

 

"You can be so annoying sometimes." With that she walked towards Tiffany before I could stop her, making her way through the circle of people she pulled Tiffany out and whispered something into her ear. Jessica pointed towards me then whispered something else, the twisting feeling came back into my stomach when my eyes meet with Tiffany's, she gave me a grin and wave.

 

The feeling worsen as they both started to make their way towards me. Jessica leaned close to me and mumbled, "You owe me for this." Before walking off and disappearing around and into the group of people dancing in the living room. My eyes was fixate on her back as she disappeared.

 

"I didn't expect you to be here." Tiffany's voice brought me out of my daze. 

 

"Me neither. Now that I'm here, I realized how-" I pondered over my next word. "-Crazy it can be."

 

"Of course it's crazy, it's suppose to be wild." Tiffany bumped her shoulder against mine. "You know relieve your stress."

 

"I'm not stressed." I crossed my arms with a pout. 

 

"Sure, okay." Tiffany laughs, entrancing me for a short second, finding myself staring I forced my eyes to avert away. How creepy would it be to caught staring like some love struck idiot. And I found myself staring back at the crowd Jessica disappeared into, hoping to catch a sight of her brown locks. "So I'm guessing Jessica force you to come?"

 

"More like blackmailed me to come." 

 

Tiffany giggled, "I figur-"

 

"Hey Tiff!" The voice interrupted the conversation and we both turned. Just when I was starting to get comfortable, someone has to come and interrupt. I kept my eyes locked with the guy that tipsily walked over, he lost his footing and almost crashed onto the floor but Tiffany manage to keep him up right, his arms around her waist, supporting himself. And I found myself eyeing their interaction. A feeling stirred at the pit of my stomach, as if warning me.

 

"Hey baby." Tiffany tried her best to keep him steady and up right, while I stared blankly at the two. Clenching my hands into a fist, I tried to keep the unwanted emotions of envy and irritation down. Somehow even though I knew all along, the feeling didn't pierce any less. Rather than tears begging to free themselves, it was more of a cold blank feeling. 

 

"Where were you?" Nichkhun slurred his words a bit, he lean down and gave Tiffany's lips a peck. I wanted to look away, wanted to speak up, to leave, somewhere other than being here. But my feet felt rooted to the ground. "I was looking for you."

 

"I'm with a friend," Tiffany turned to me and shot an apologetic smile, "I'm sorry, this will just take a sec-"

 

Suddenly finding my voice, I swallowed down hard like something unpleasant was caught by my throat and muster the best smile that manage to cross my face and waved her of, "It's fine, I don't want to bother you two, I'll just go look for Jessica." Tiffany was going to say something but I ran off before a word left . Blindly I pushed through the crowd looking for the exit, I need fresh air the heavy feeling that was caught in my chest was so painful, it was suffocating. When the door was in sight I ran into a person,hard, making me stumble a few steps back.

 

"Hey you alright?" I felt his hand rest on my shoulder, steading me but all I saw was the distant front door just steps away. I tried to push him away but he had a grip on me. "You're looking sort of down, want a drink?" He held the red cup up to my face, as much as I wanted to lash at him for blocking me, I couldn't find my voice, all I could hear were low hum buzzing in my ear. I needed to get out of here, right now.

 

"Sorry she doesn't drink." I felt cold hands grab a hold of my wrist, pulling me away from him. I felt my mind cloud up, until a rush of cold air hit me that snapped me out of my daze. I felt hands holding me by the shoulder shaking me gently. My eyes focused on Jessica, who has a worried look etched across her face. "Are you okay? How are you feeling? Taeyeon?"

 

I my chapped lips and moved away from Jessica's touch. "I'm leaving."

 

"Wait-" I didn't wait for Jessica to finish and ran off, running faster until my lungs burned begging for air and my legs ached. Ironically I wanted to be alone and sort out my thoughts but a little part of me wished Jessica would come after me and ask me what's wrong, just a little.

 

I didn't realize when I arrived at home but before I knew it I in front of the doorstep. Fumbling through my pocket in a irritating rush, I stuffed my hands in my jean pocket, jacket pocket but there was no key. Tiredly I leaned against the wall and slid down onto the welcome doormat, softly I banged my head on the wall twice. Such an idiot.

 

Dazing up at the sky I didn't register the fact it was a cold winter night until a harsh wind blew by making me pull the small jacket closer to my body. I brought my knee up to my body and buried my head into my arms. Tears felt caught at the bottom of my throat like it refuses to leave, maybe it was because I didn't have anything to cry about, maybe it was because Tiffany was never actually mine to begin with.

 

I took in a deep breath, hoping it would calm all the foreign emotions riling up inside me. I wanted nothing more than to get rid of that uncomfortable feeling pressed against my chest, as if a ton was being dropped and pressed against me. I held myself tight, curling into a ball trying to preserve as much warmth as possible.

 

"So stupid..." I muttered to no one in particular.

 

"Talking to yourself?" My ears perked up at the familiar nasally voice. Still I continue to keep my head down, not bothering to reply. I felt Jessica made a place next to me and slid down, making herself as comfortable as she could on the doormat. She lets silence loom over us, before taking a deep breath.

 

"Why are you here?" I asked in a low whisper with my head still buried in my arms. I knew exactly why she was here, but for some reason I wanted the words to come out of . I didn't want to be nosy but I found the words coming out before I could stop them."What happen to your boyfriend?"

 

"Ryan? He's not my boyfriend." Jessica laughed, "Though we're pretty close, since he's half American too."

 

"Could've fooled me." I grumbled.

 

"Careful you sound almost jealous." Jessica teased, I rolled my eyes, although she couldn't see it. I ignored her jealous comment and averted the topic. Talking about her possibly future boyfriend was definitely not what I wanted to get too into detail about.

 

 "Is the party over already?"

 

"No." Jessica breaths, I heard shifting movements, then Jessica's arm pressing against mine. "I thought some crybaby was going to be all miserable and weeping by herself."

 

"I guess you came for no reason, since there is no crying here." I breathed through my nose, heavily. "There's nothing to even cry about."

 

Jessica stayed quiet for awhile, "I was going to tell you about them, but I guess there's no need for that anymore." Jessica stopped waiting for some response from me but when I didn't say anything she continued, "Sorry, if I knew he was there, I would have never dragged you along."

 

"Why are you sorry?" I let out a humorless chuckle. "Sorry for smacking reality in my face? It's not like there's actually anything going on between me and Tiffany."

 

"Still that must had been a shock, you were in a pretty bad daze before." 

 

"I just felt tired that's all." 

 

"You're taking this a whole lot better than I thought you would, did you cry yourself out before I arrived." Jessica joked, trying her best to lighten up the mood. I wish I had cried to myself, then maybe that pressing feeling would disappear, or maybe I wouldn't feel like I was bench press a hundred ton. Then quietly she added, "Sometimes it's better to cry everything out."

 

"Maybe."

 

Suddenly I felt cold fingers grasp onto both side of my cheek, and my face was brought up to feet Jessica's. She stared into my eyes, like she was interrogating me of any lie. And I felt warms tears roll down my face, the salty taste touched my lips. Quickly swatting Jessica's hand away, I tried wiping the tears with my palm without avail. Jessica wrapped her arms around me, rubbing her palm up and down against my back in a soothing manner.

 

I wasn't sure how long we stayed like this but even when my tears stopped running, Jessica still held me like she was worried if she let go I would shatter into pieces. As much as I found the position comforting, the harsh weather was not as kind. I patted Jessica on her back. "You can let go now."

 

Jessica pulled away and stared at me, suddenly my self consciousness kicked in and I buried my head back in my arms, before Jessica could she how swollen and ugly my face must have looked. "You sure?" Her voice sounded doubtful, but I dismissed it was a nod. Both of us stayed silent after that, the only sound was the occasionally howling wind. Jessica moved closer to me and I felt her body quiver.

 

"You can go in, you know." I mumbled into my knee.

 

"Not until you tell me you're okay." Jessica replied stubbornly.

 

I looked up at her, "I'm fine, okay."

 

"Don't give me that bull." Jessica got up and pulled me up with her. Her voice full of annoyance, which I presume she was up to her limit of being patient and kind with me. "If you're going to sulk, do that indoors. I'm freezing my off waiting for you to get out of that depression zone."

 

"I'm not depressed," I defensively argued back, "I just want to be alone right now."

 

"You can do that in your room." Jessica unlocked the door, and pointed for me to enter. I stubbornly shook my head.

 

"I just need the fresh air." 

 

"This is cold air, and you're going to get sick tomorrow. Stop sulking outside and get inside." 

 

"For the last time I'm not s-" I was silenced when Jessica gave me a peck on the lips, it was short and quick. My jaws went slack, staring at her with confusion all over my face. Covering my lips with my hand, I screeched, "What was that?!"

 

"Shock therapy." Jessica gave me a Cheshire cat grinned, "Did it work?"

 

"I- for what?" My mind jumbled as I struggled to find words.

 

"To shock you out of your sullen attitude, totally effective."

 

"You just made that up."

 

Jessica shrugs.

 

"I'm leaving." I announced quickly before Jessica could see the heat making it's way to my face like wildfire. Speedily I ran into the house, up the stairs and closed my door with a loud slam. Still stuck in the shock of disbelief I ran my fingers over my lips, even though it was just for a second I could still feel her soft lips with lipsticks. I buried my hand in my palms. My mind constantly replayed the simple peck, over and over. But Jessica was correct in a way, that split second I forgot about Tiffany.

 



 

Happy New Year everyone! A update this week like I promised. Hope this chapter wasn't too confusing, so much was happening, and that little Taengsic moment just as a bonus I guess. Comments are appreciated and I don't know when I'll update this again.Byee. x)