Chapter 4

My Lovely Sister

This can't be happening. It just can't. I refuse to believe it. Just minutes ago my parents came up to me and casually brought up their good news. Normally I would be full of joy, but this wasn't normally and I was definitely not going through with this. I looked over at Jessica over by the sofa scrolling through her phone, keeping her usual lazed, bored expression. Of course she could care less of the whole situation.

 

"It's just for a week Tae." My dad says offhandedly, his arm over my step-mom's shoulder as they continued to bargain with me. I gave my dad a look of disbelief. A week, he says, I probably won't last a day being with Jessica let alone a week.

 

"Tell me again, why are you going on a honeymoon now?" I cried desperately, while Jessica gave a yawn from where she was. She didn't even spare one glance at us, she didn't care where this was going but I did. "You couldn't have done it back at the States, and aren't you two a bit too old for that."

 

"I didn't hear you complaining when I left for the States." My dad retorted back, given his expression I knew he wasn't going to let go of his idea. That didn't mean I couldn't try to change his mind. "And it was for two months."

 

"Because you left me alone." Not with a tyrant, I wanted to add but decided against it. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Jessica roll her eyes. 

 

"And this time we left you with company." My mom motioned at Jessica who continue to stay out of the conversation. "You're okay with this aren't you Jessica?" 

 

The brunette being referred to simply gave a wave of her hand and made a ok sign with her fingers. I threw my hand up in disbelief, of course she would be fine with it. You could never tell what that she-devil might make me do, next thing you know I'll become a slave. Oh wait, I already am. I threw my dad some hopeful eyes, but my eyes were meet with his straight face. My expression fell. This is so not fair.

 

"But-" I started, but my argument was pounded back in me when my dad cut me off.

 

"Taeyeon, we already plan this beforehand so we're whether you agree or not so just say okay." My dad pointed out. I made a face, there he goes again making decisions without my approval.

 

"What if we starve? What about money? You trust two teenagers to watch the house. We could throw a huge party with beer and trash the whole house and you don't care?" I exaggerated ideas. My dad gave me a deadpan stare and the cracked into a smile then full blown laughter. 

 

"I think I know my daughter and you would be the last person in the whole world who would be a rebel and throw a party." He chuckled a bit. "I trusted you enough to leave you home last time I went on a business trip."

 

"Well I trusted you were going on a business trip but you ended bringing home a wife. So we could just be a family full of liars with stupid expectations." My dad shook his head, probably at how ridiculous I sounded while I fumed. My eyes fell in contact with Jessica's, and I urged her to say something about how ridiculous this honeymoon idea was.

 

Jessica had a blank look then shifted her body so she was sitting up. I didn't know what made me think Jessica was actually going to be helpful for once but now I know I was being plain stupid. 

 

"You should just go mom, have some fun." Jessica encouraged. "I pretty sure Taeyeon and I would be perfectly fine by ourselves. Since we get along so well." I clenched my fist in frustration, Jessica gave me a sweet smile, "Right, Taeyeon?" 

 

"So, so well." I said through my clenched teeth.

 

"So it's settled." My mom clapped her hands together. "Maybe some quality time together would deepen your bond." Jessica laughed at the word bond, while I miserably tried to accept reality.

 

"When are you guys leaving?" I asked in defeat. 

 

"Tomorrow afternoon." My dad says with a huge smile knowing I was done throwing my tantrum. I couldn't make it out but there was a this weird look in her eyes, her expression was unreadable until she gave me a devious look varying from a smirk and smile. The week flashed before my eyes, and I could tell I won't make it out alive.

 

 

"Can you believe they just left like that!" I complained as my best friend sat across from me on her bed staring back at me with a bored expression. "This is going to be worst moments of my entire life." The minute my parents waved us goodbye and took off in a taxi to the airport, I quickly escaped into my only safe base, Sunny's house.

 

"You said that when she first arrived." Sunny corrected, her attention focused on her phone. I scooted closer to her, and pushed her phone away from her eyes. She gave me a tired look, and dropped onto her back. "Stop complaining, your step-sister can't be that bad."

 

"She can't be that bad?!" Exclaiming as I repeated that absurd lie that came out of . "Were you not listening when I was complain about the time she made me do all her homework, not to mention projects and essays, I stayed up all 24 hours. Were you not there when I told you she took up my entire room because her heater was broken. In fact where were you when-"

 

My words were muffled as Sunny pressed a pillow against my face. "Okay! I understand, she's bossy. Now shut up!" Sunny exasperated. She grabbed  pillow and rested her chin on top. 

 

"Maybe you guys just started off on the wrong foot." Sunny says, rocking back and forth. "You know the way you talk about Jessica I would think she's evil and everything but she seems like the kind of girl everyone likes." She paused. "Actually she is that kind of girl."

 

"Only on the outside, you don't know how bipolar she gets. In fact everyone thinks she's an angel, the perfect girl but she's always mocking me, ordering me around, making me her personal servant. Playing me however she likes." I shivered at the thought of the stuffs Jessica had put me through since the two weeks she's been here.

 

Sunny threw me a quizzical look, "Mocking you?"

 

"Like leaning close and whispering in my ear, snuggling close to me in my sleep, and that smirk that's always etched on her face like she figured something out or she knows something I don't."

 

"You're just too easy to tease and push around Tae." 

 

I puffed up my cheeks. "I never had problems like that until Jessica showed up in my life. So corrections it's not my fault, it's her fault."

 

This time Sunny rolled her eyes, "Whoever's fault it is, it's not like you could stay here all week long."

 

At her words, my eyes lit up and I gave her my special puppy eyes, she rolled her eyes and pushed my face away. "That doesn't work on me." My expression fell and leaned against the headboard. "You could stay for the night though."

 

"That's just as good." I muttered, one day less of Jessica is still better than nothing. I fell in deep thought when my mind suddenly shifted into the imagination of Jessica being alone at home, probably starving, maybe burning down the kitchen all while cursing me out. As if reading my mind, Sunny interrupted my thoughts,

 

"Aren't you worried she's home alone?"

 

I dismissed her question and my thoughts with a wave of my hand, "She's 17, Sunny, she could take care of herself."

 

Sunny studied my expression for a bit then shrugged and made her way off the bed, "Whatever you say. By the way, any improvements with Tiffany?"

 

My mind mushed at the name, normally I would be more than happy to talk about Tiffany but that was before she and Jessica became good friends. I sighed in frustration, "Lovely, now that Jessica's so close with her, I'm almost positive she gossips a bunch of things about me to Tiffany."

 

Sunny took notice of my sullen expression and quickly changed the topic. "Well, I'm glad you're staying for the night, we could use the BFF bonding time." Using her fingers to quote BFF, "My parents won't be home till 8 or 9 so let's watch a movie to pass time." I gave a nod and followed her out and down to the living room.

 

 

The movie was near the and falling but I didn't really get anything about it. My mind kept on wondering to Jessica then back, the process of me wondering then pulling my snapping my attention away from it and repeat  for the past 45 minutes or so. That was until Sunny's voice halted my train of thoughts.

 

"What kind of idiot would get back together with a girl who cheated on him with his best friend." Sunny criticized, and threw the popcorn at the screen when the two shared a kiss under the slowly setting sun. So cliche, but still romantic.

 

"Guess he really loved her." I shrugged, "Can't judge him for that."

 

"Were you even paying attention to the movie, the things that girl but him through." Sunny shook her head, "If I were that girl I'd probably drop her right there and then. He's just too stupidly in love." Sunny sighed and shoved some popcorn in and she continue the grumble about the lame ending and how the male lead totally deserved better. 

 

I zoned out and my eyes stayed stuck staring at the clock. Almost 7. I wonder if she ate yet. I shook my head for the...I don't even know how many times since the movie started. I don't care. I don't care. I repeated over and over again in my mind, wishing Jessica would stop bugging me in my own thoughts. Even when she's not here, she's still tormenting me.

 

"If you're so worried about her, you could just go home." Sunny's voice chimed into my thought. My jaws went slack, as I stared at Sunny in disbelief.

 

"No way!" I denied, making an X with my arms. "That doesn't even make sense Sunny, I came here to avoid her remember." I tapped the side of my head as a gesture. Sunny stayed quiet for a minute while we started a staring contest. I closed my eyes and let out a huge exhale. "Maybe a bit checking up won't hurt, I mean I should see if the house is in one piece."

 

"Taeyeon," Sunny started with a shake of her head. "I can read you like a book."

 

 

Checking my phone for the time, it was 20 minutes till 9 when I was a block away from my house. When the house came into view and the lights lit up the night, I sighed in relief, at least the house was in one piece. But when I was a few steps away from the doorsteps I heard a deep voice along with Jessica's.

 

"At least think about it."

 

I tip toed closer and peeked out from behind a car parked in front of our house. In front of the doorstep was Jessica and in front of her was a guy was muscular back and tall lean figure. I squint my eyes, come on turn around I chanted in my mind. Who is he?

 

"I told you,"Jessica started without even hiding the annoyance in her voice. "It's not going to work out."

 

"Can't you just give it some time, I know it's a bit early for me to say this." 

 

Furrowing my brow at how familiar the voice had sounded, I racked my brain for anyone who sounded like that but with no avail. It was like at the tip of my tongue but I can't seem to remember so instead of waiting around until the person leaves I casually walk up to the doorsteps.

 

"Taeyeon?" Jessica spoke as if she wasn't expecting to even see me tonight. "I think you should go." She motioned for the guy before her. I feign ignorance as I walked past her but I caught a glimpse at the guy. Ok Taecyeon. Another jock in the school, I rolled my eyes, so I was all worried about a girl who had herself companied with someone already.

 

"Think about it." Taecyeon made a sign with his hand. "And I'll call you?"

 

"I already said no and that's final. I'm not changing my mind." Jessica said with annoyance and closed the door. She leaned against the door and let out a sigh of relief and focused her attention on me. I tried to ignore her hard stare on my back but it wasn't easy. "I thought you weren't coming home tonight?"

 

"Well you thought wrong." I made my way upstairs, I need a shower to wash away all this annoyed feeling boiling up. This was what I get for being caring, should have continued watching that sappy romance dram with Sunny. Idiot. I felt Jessica's eyes on me as I made my way up the stairs and into the bathroom.

 

I stepped out of my clothes and lazily threw them into the bin.Adjusting the water to a certain degree of warmth and stepped in letting the warm water run down my body. I let out a consent sigh, and started shampooing my hair, maybe it would wash away any thoughts of worrying about Jessica again. Hopefully.

 

While I applied soap to my body I heard the door creak open, I frowned I was sure I closed it. I peeked out from behind the shower curtain and my eyes widen at the person standing there. My jaws dropped to let out a scream but no sound came out instead I stood there bare and the only thing covering me was a curtain, which I pulled it close to my body.

 

"About before..." Jessica started, but hesitated for a short second. "I just want to say it's not what you think."

 

I stared at her in disbelief. Really! This was the time she chose to talk about it. When I'm showering, doesn't she feel the least bit awkward. My mind couldn't form a single word as I stood there still. After a while I forced my jaw shut and my brain to work. "And you choose now to tell me?!" I almost shrieked but tried to keep my voice low.

 

"Well I didn't wanting you thinking he's my boyfriend because that would be..." Jessica stopped short but one look at her grimaced expression, says it all. I continued giving her a look. Does not realized I'm or does it not bother her at all,

 

"Like I said," I breathed, "You chose now to tell me?!"

 

"I thought the sooner the better." Jessica said with a shrug. The casualness in her voice kills me so this time I let out a scream and Jessica immediately covered her ears, startled. She shot me a glare. "Did it shock you that much?"

 

"No, now get out." I pointed to the door behind her. Jessica's frown slowly disappeared and her usual smirk replaced it. I did not like where this was headed. Not one bit.

 

"Don't be so shy." Jessica took a taunting step towards me, "It's not like you have something I don't." 

 

"Don't come any closer." I pulled the curtain closer to my body as Jessica took another daring step towards me, mischief danced in her eyes.

 

"It's not like I could actually see you from behind the curtain anyway." Jessica giggles, I wasn't sure at what, but it must had to do with how ridiculous I looked at the moment. There was probably still unwashed shampoo in my hair while clutching onto a curtain as if my life had depended on it. In this case it did.

 

"Leave. Now." I threw a bottle of shampoo at her which barely reached her and end up rolling to her foot. Jessica had a smile on her face, I could tell she was holding in her laughter, as she picked up the shampoo and handed it back to me.

 

"Hurry up and finish, I haven't ate dinner yet." She walked out and softly closed the door. I brought my hands to my cheeks, it was burning. I probably looked like a tomato right now I clapped my cheeks twice, ignoring the stinging sensation. This is going to be such a tormenting week.

 

"By the way," Jessica voice popped up again. "Cute ." I quickly turned around to check if the curtain was closed and sure enough it was, I frowned. Jessica's laughter could be heard even with the door  shut. "Just kidding."

 

I groaned and pressed my forehead against the wall as the warm water continue to run down my body.  A really tormenting week.

 

 


 

I have to say this was a quick update. And I wanted to ask if I should leave this as rated m because although it's like that I don't want to disappoint you guys when there isn't going to be much of . The previous version I rushed the storyline because I felt like I needed to add it but I don't want to do it with this one. I just can't seem to fit it in. So in your opinion should I leave it rated m or should I just remove it. I know everyone says I'm the author and it's my choice but I honestly needed some thoughts on this. Hope you guys can tell me!