Chapter 3

My Lovely Sister

"Ngh...Taeyeon move over a bit you're laying on my hair." A raspy voice groaned into the right side of my ear. Groggily, using the little bit of strength I had and shifted towards the other side of the bed. There was a few seconds of silence before the voice came back this time clearer. "A bit more." The whine was followed by a slight push on my shoulder. I groaned; with eyes closed I flipped myself over and onto my stomach.

 

"How's now?"

 

"Better."

 

I nodded and was about sink back into dreamland, until I felt a warmth snuggling closer to my body, a leg draped over my own and arms settling themselves near my waist. At first I didn't put much thought to the warmth, it was a cold morning and I found myself moving closer, closing any gap in between. I let out a consent sigh. In the mist of almost falling asleep I felt soft breaths hit my cheek. Out of curiosity I peeked one eye open. The first thing my vision focused onto was pink thin lips.

 

I shut my eye once more.

 

Pink thin lips.

 

I furrowed my brows. Something wasn't right, this time I opened both my eyes, and my jaw went slack. OMG.

 

Jessica's face was less than a inch away from mine and I could clearly see her pure white skin, her smooth facade as she slept along with the tiniest details like how long her eyelashes were. I wasn't sure how long I stayed with my jaws wide open gaped like an idiot but Jessica's voice pulled me out of my trance.

 

"It's hard to sleep with you staring at me." Jessica mumbled with her eyes still shut. Finally I let the shriek that had been caught in my throat since my jaw first dropped. My voice startled Jessica awake and my face was meet with a pillow. Hard. "What the hell was that for!" She pulled away only for her to smack me with the pillow once more, this time with less force. But that doesn't mean it felt less painful.

 

"I-You...What the h-hell are you d-oing here?" I stumbled over my words like an idiot, Jessica sat up letting the blanket that was draped over her drop. It didn't help she was wearing nothing but a loose fitted Tee and some shorts and by short I mean barely reaching past her thighs. She shivered before pulling the blanket closer to her body.

 

"The heat in my room broke." Jessica stated obviously as if that would explain everything. 

 

"What that have to do with you being in my room, on my bed?" I said, putting some distance between myself and Jessica. Though my bed wasn't exactly big so there was not much room to scoot back on. Jessica took notice of my movement and had a glint of laughter in her eyes.

 

"Relax sis, I didn't come here to molest you." Jessica spoke with a hint of amusement. She rolled back onto her side and brought the blanket over her head. But soon peeked her head out from under the covers, and mockingly rose her brow, "Unless that's what you want?"

 

My eyes widen and I shook my head, a bit to quick. Jessica's girly giggles filled my ears and the morning silence. I glanced over at my clock sitting onto of the drawer. 6:34. I sighed, this was way too early on a Saturday morning. I cleared my throat and poked Jessica. She answered with a hum. "Can I get my bed back now?" 

 

Jessica shifted a bit closer to the edge. "There."

 

"I mean my whole bed." I gave a tug on the blankets Jessica all hogged. "And blankets." But Jessica had a tight grip on them. I heard her let out a sigh.

 

"I thought we had this conversation yesterday." Jessica flipped her body so she was facing my direction, with her head half tuck behind the blanket with her messy bed hair, I have to admit she looked adorable in some senses. 

 

"And I thought you were sleeping on the sofa." I retorted. Jessica was complaining about it endless last night and insisted she was going to stay in my room until her room was fixed. Of course I flat out rejected her. There was no way in this life was I ever going to share a bed with Jessica. She used up her two favors beforehand so I wasn't going to give in no matter what. But clearly my refusal meant nothing to her.

 

"Well I didn't want back problems and plus the living room wasn't exactly warm." Jessica said with her back still facing me. "Don't be so stingy unnie, sharing is caring." Jessica childishly chimed. I rolled my eyes at her even though she couldn't see.

 

"Don't call me unnie and..." I pulled a bit harder on my blankets Jessica had rolled herself in. "If you had wore more maybe it wouldn't be so cold. I don't want to share, especially with you." With equal amount of child-like attitude I started a tug o' war to reclaim my stolen blankets. 

 

"You know for the older one, you're not exactly acting the part." Jessica huffed as she pulled back with much more force almost sending me flying towards her. Okay, she's way stronger than she looks. 

 

"Oh sure, because normally you treat me like the older one." I blew my bangs away from my eyes, giving Jessica a menacing glare but it didn't faze her one bit, she had her usual I'm not amused face when things don't go her way. "It's morning  and I'm so not in the mood for this."

 

"Same here, so you can just let go." Jessica says while letting out a annoying exhale. We both stayed in place sending each other hard stare with tight grips on the blanket. "Why can't you be nicer and let me sleep?"

 

"Why do you have to make my life so difficult?"

 

"This wouldn't be happening if you didn't act so selfish!" Jessica pointed out. "And does it really matter if we shared the same bed, not like I told you to bathe with me!" Normally I would be taken aback when she throws out comments like these out of the blue but at this point it really just makes me annoyed, especially since it was barely even morning yet.

 

"I'm selfish?!" In the mist of the fight both our voice were to the point of screaming, I'm surprised our parents haven't came in to check. "Clearly you don't own a mirror."

 

"Let go right now!" Jessica hissed.

 

"No!" I bunched up the bits of blanket I had. She was the only stubborn one.

 

"Fine." Jessica suddenly let go of the blanket, my eyes widen at the suddenly action and in that split second of blur my back landed on the floor with a loud crash. The pain shoot through my spine, I rolled over massaging my back with a groan. Jessica looked down at me with a wicked smile look. "Happy?"

 

"Ha-Ha." I forced the fake laughter through the undeniable pain, that's definitely going to leave a bruise. Jessica rolled her eyes and slid off my bed and headed towards the door. Without a word she left the room. I scoffed. Another day of this and my funeral might just be coming up.

 

 

 

I hissed as I made my way downstairs after unable to roll back to sleep. My sight was first settled on Jessica who was comfortably settle on the sofa, cocoon in a blanket, watching some english t.v show. I rolled my eyes at the sight, these are the times I hate her, wait more like despise. 

 

"Where's mom?" I asked, making my way towards the kitchen. When I was answered with nothing but silence I looked back at Jessica who kept her eyes glued on the television show. She let a short laugh and let out some english remarks at the t.v. Unbelievable.

 

"Did you hear me?" I tried again, this time with a louder voice. Again, she didn't say anything, except turned the volume up and continued on as if I wasn't even in the room. I rolled my eyes at her childish behavior. Fine if this was how she was going act, two can play this game. I turned my heels and continued into the kitchen.

 

I poured myself some milk and plopped myself onto chair. I scrolled through my phone, deciding to call up Sunny since there was nothing to do at home, and I rather be outside than be stuck under the same roof as that diva. Just when I was about to give Sunny a call, a text from Tiffany popped up on my screen. Suddenly a shot of adrenaline shot through my body, I bit my lips trying to contain the grin forming on my face.

 

"I was wondering if you want to work on our music project together?"-Tiffany

 

Quickly without wasting a moment I texted back. Another reply came quickly as I eagerly read it.

 

"Ok then, I'll be there around 12?"-Tiffany

 

I replied with an okay, then sat there with a grin. I couldn't help but always get giddily every time Tiffany comes up. My short movement of happiness came to a end when Jessica walked in, probably looking for breakfast. I ignored her presence and walked out, not bothering to make any eye contact and she didn't to me either.

 

Now that I think about it, this let's-see-who-can-ignore-who-longer game really actually plays in my favor Not only do I don't have to listen to her order me around, it actually kind of feels like I was thrown back to when my dad didn't get remarried. I hummed happily as I skipped upstairs to my room. I decided to organize my room a bit since Tiffany was coming, not that it was really messy in the first place. 

 

 

 

I let my hand rest over the area of my heart, I exhaled a long breath. My heart was pounding uncontrollable, I clapped my face twice before placing my hand on the doorknob. I left the most natural smile fall onto my face and opened the door.  Tiffany stood there with her usual eye smile, along with navy blue jeans, with a white knitted sweater and a gray coat over it and a scarf matched with light brown boots and bag. I stayed awed for a few short seconds before commanding my brain to switch the idiot mode to composed.

 

"Hey Taeyeon. Can I come in?" Tiffany said with rosy cheeks due to the cold weather. My breath hitched and I tried my best to not make a fool of myself. This is a perfect chance.

 

"Uh- S-sure." I moved aside for her. "It's cold out, you want something warm to drink."

 

"That would be nice, what do you have?" Tiffany made her way in taking off her boots by the doorsteps and making her way into the house.

 

"Hot chocolate?" I offered making my way back into the kitchen while rubbing arms. She gave a nod. "Have a seat, I'll go make some." But before I made it through the door into the kitchen I heard light but still distinguishable footsteps make their way down. I was ready to hit my head on the wall repeatedly, of course, how could I even forget about Jessica.

 

"Jessi?" Tiffany frowned at the appearance of the brunette. "What are you doing here?" I sighed and slowly made my way into the kitchen, they can deal with this but I made sure I stood at a angle where I could see and kept a earshot of what they were going to converse about.

 

"That's my line. I live here, oh wait I haven't told you yet." Jessica placed a hand on her forehead and she glanced over at my direction, I looked down avoiding eye contact. "And I'm guessing the little midget didn't tell you either." I scoffed at that term.

 

"Um no." Tiffany said, a bit confused. Jessica made her way towards the other Korean-American and seated herself on the other side of the  sofa while reaching for the remote. She was about to say something but saw me walking towards them and decided against it.

 

"She'll fill you in." Jessica nonchalantly said, reaching for a tangerine in the basket on the table. "But why are you even here?"

 

"Project." I answered for Tiffany, handing Tiffany her cup of the hot cocoa. I admit I felt a bit annoyed when Jessica didn't even bother to look my way; was interrupting her sleep that big of a crime in her eyes.

 

"Let's go Fany-ah." I pointed to the stairs, "We can start the project there." 

 

"Let's hang out sometimes Jessi." Tiffany said with a wink before following me. Jessica nodded and glanced over at me, only for a short second.

 

 

 

I strung a few strings on my guitar, trying to get my hands use to the chords. As Tiffany tried to sort out her notes, "So what are we going to do? Perform or write the 3 page essay about Beethoven." We looked at each other for a second and grinned. 

 

"Song of course." We said in unison. Tiffany was always in the same music class as me, we would always partner up whether the teacher would give us project like this. That explains why we're so closer despite her being one of the popular girls of our school.

 

"So what song?" Tiffany asked while looking through her papers, looking fro the one for the project. I shrugged, tilting my head, thinking of a song that Tiffany might like. "How does Lost In Love sound?" I looked up at Tiffany and saw her eyes light up, a sense of relief washed over me. She clapped her hands together.

 

"Let's go with that song. You know the notes?"

 

"Search them up." I pointed towards my laptop that was sitting on the side of my bed. Tiffany hummed and made her way over, quickly typing. She intensely stared at the screen and tucked a piece of hair behind her ear. I stared for a bit but forced my eyes to look away since it would just seem creepy to get caught staring at someone.

 

"So.." Tiffany started, making me look up at her. "Why is Jessica at your house? I thought you guys didn't know each other."

 

I sighed at how Jessica seems to be ruining the moment even though she's not actually here. I thought about how I should phrase the situation and told a deep breath. "It's a long story but basically my dad went to the states, came back remarried and Jessica became my step sister." 

 

Tiffany made a o shape with . "So you guys are related?"

 

"By law."  I emphasized.

 

Tiffany giggled, "Okay, let's get started on the song then."

 

 

 

It was almost 6 when I sent Tiffany out the door. We practiced for about 3 hours and my throat never felt so parched, the blisters on my hand had blisters. Tiredly I dragged my body over to the kitchen to get a cold bottle of water to clench my thirst. I quickly gulped down at least half a bottle and sighed in bless.

 

I was going to go back into my room, but I caught a glimpse of a figure lying on the sofa. I made my way over and saw Jessica lying there still of movement. Carefully I draped the blanket over her body and mumbled to myself. "What a troublesome girl."

 

"Well I'm sorry for being so troublesome." The voice startling me, making me move back in shock and bumping my elbow to the corner of our glass table. I cried out when I felt my hand go numb for a short few seconds. Jessica eyes widen with concern.

 

"Be careful, pabo." 

 

I rose my brow at the term, normally Jessica would call me a idiot or another insulting remark in english but she would never used korean. I let my mind rolled over what she just said, the word made me cringe but I decided not to press on it. "I going to my room, tell me when dad's home." I didn't even take anymore than three steps when my shirt was caught. I looked back with a questioning look. Was she going to apologize for this morning.

 

"I-uhm..." Jessica eyes swift from one side to another not meeting my eyes. She mumbled something under her breath too quickly and quiet for me to understand. I frowned, what happen to the usual straight forward Jessica.

 

"What was that?" I leaned in closer, straining my ears.

 

"I said," She paused, "Are you going to cook?"

 

"Uh no?" I gave her a weird look she was definitely being weird today. Well, more than usual. "You hungry?" 

 

"No." The answer was short and quick, I rose my brow and gave her a questioning look again. I was about to ask her again but then a low grumble from her stomach was heard and I bit back a laugh when she placed a hand on her stomach. I swore I saw pink blushes decorating her cheeks.  

 

"Okay, I'm leaving then." I teased, slowly walking away. And again Jessica gripped onto my shirt. "What?"

 

"Cook me something."

 

"I thought you were ignoring me." 

 

Jessica glared at me and slapped my shoulder. "I asked nicely, don't make me regret it." I rolled my  eyes and complied since I realized she hasn't ate anything all day while muttering some words under my breath in annoyance and made my way back into the kitchen for the hundredth time today.

 

"How does spaghetti sound?" I looked back at Jessica for approval.

 

"Great. I'll help." She eagerly followed me.

 

 

 

 

I poked the soggy noodles, with too much tomato sauce on top. I glanced at Jessica who didn't even bother to touch her plate. Then quietly observed my surrounding once more. There were some extra uncooked spaghetti on the floor, the bottom of the pot was a bit burnt, some tomato sauce spilled over the counter and a pot of spaghetti still sitting there. I leave for three minutes and this is what happens.

 

"You know, there should be a warning next time you offer to help." I mindlessly twirled the noodle around with my fork, lifting it up and watching it drop back on the plate with disinterest.

 

Jessica rolled her eyes, "I know, you've been complaining about it for the last 10 minutes. Let. It. Go."

 

"You're the cause of this." I pushed the plate away from me, "So now what? We have still have more noodles in the pot. So we either die of food poisoning or starvation you choose." I sarcastically commented, Jessica must have been rubbing off of me.

 

"How about pizza?" Jessica lifted her cell phone up.

 

"Sounds good to me." I cleaned my plate of spaghetti into the trash.

 

"Great I'll order while you clean this up."

 

Jessica gave me a sweet smile before leaving the kitchen. I screamed after her. "You're never entering the kitchen again!"

 

 



 

Okay I admit I'm late on updating this again and you guys have all the right to complain since this is a rewrite but in my defense it still takes time to sit and write. I kept this sort of similar to the previous one if any of you remembered, if not then forget it. And towards the end I got a bit lazy and ran out of ideas. I was going to finish this a lot sooner but I got lazy so sowie. T-T Oh and I changed the title.