Chapter 7

My Lovely Sister

Wincing as I lightly touched my swollen eye, I let out a sigh. Crying whiling having the class the next day was the worst idea ever. Glancing at my reflection one last time, I walked downstairs hoping there would be some ice in the freezer that would decrease the swollen look, it literally looks like a bug bite me in my sleep. The idea of just taking the day off from school was constantly wondering in my mind but it didn't stay long.

 

Gently I placed a bag of ice on my eye, wincing at the sudden touch of coolness. Letting the ice settle on my eye and forehead, I stayed in the position, leaning my head back against the sofa for support. In my mind I was genuinely praying the swollen would go down, missing school was not an option, my attendance was perfect.

 

It was still early into 6 in the morning so there was any rush, but having Jessica in the house meant my morning was going to be another severe case of tug of war. Honestly there was not a single thing in the world that would make Jessica get up in the morning, in a good mood. Morning probably doesn't even exist in her vocabulary. 

 

I pressed down hard on the ice pack against my eye, wishing magically it would speed up the whole process. Waking Jessica up was a thought but my mind pushed it away as quickly as it came. If I went into her room looking like this, she would never let me hear the end of it.

 

After 30 minutes of rolling around the sofa in varies position, I took a second glance in the mirror and deemed myself good enough to be seen. I walked door and in front of Jessica's door and gave it two clear loud knocks, when there was no reply I knocked again and twist the doorknob, peeking my head in. Sure enough she was still lay there wrapped like a cocoon with no sign of movement.

 

"Jessica." I called out, making my way in while trying to avoid stepping on all her clothes, books, magazines scattered across her room. Making a mental note to remind her to do something about the mess. "Wake up!"

 

Shaking the body a bit, I tried to pull the cover off her head, surprisingly I removed it with ease, no form of struggle. "Did you hear me?" Jessica tiredly opened her eye, and let out slight coughs before taking the blanket back and covering herself once more.

 

"I'm not going today, I feel like I'm dying." Her arm sprawled against her forehand in a tiredly manner, I rolled my eyes at her exaggeration, though she did seem sick or maybe she's just that good at pretending. 

 

"I thought idiots don't get sick," I said mockingly, half expecting her to smack me across the head but it never came. She simply narrowed her eye at me. She sniffled and coughed some more, making me raise my brow. Doubtfully I rested my hand  against her forehead and the other on mine, it wasn't particularly hot only slightly warm. She swat my hand away with a quick flick of her wrist.

 

"I'm not a kid, I don't need your permission to stay home." Jessica grumbled, rolling onto her side.

 

"You're actually sick," I said pointedly, somewhat unable to believe it. And she thought I was going to get sick yesterday, but she's the one laying in bed with a slight fever, how ironic.

 

"No ." She growled from beneath the covers making me roll my eyes, despite being sick her words are still just as rude. Standing before her bed, I debated shortly whether I should offer her some help or get lost like she wanted me to. "And it's all your fault."

 

"I told you to go inside didn't I?" I pointed out quickly in my defense, "But you stubbornly wanted to sit outside with me, so corrections it's your own fault, don't push the blame onto me."

 

"But if you were never sulking at our front door, I would have never had to sit out in the freezing cold trying to make sure you won't do something stupid." Jessica countered as she quickly sat up, glaring at me. "And I was being so kind letting you leave snot and tears all over my shirt."

 

My face flushed at the sudden reminder of yesterday night, images flashed through my head repeatedly. As if the whole idea of getting indirectly rejected wasn't enough, I was crying like a baby in Jessica's embrace what's worse she stole my first kiss calling it shock therapy. Not that I'll ever tell that to her.

 

"W-ell I-" I stammered over my words trying to find a comeback, "It wasn't like I forced to accompany me, so it's not my fault."

 

"Uh-huh." Jessica stared accusingly at me, "Because sitting outside, sulking, and denying isn't in any way demanding attention. Considering how hard you were gripping onto my clothes while crying your eyes out, just admit you wanted some comfort."

 

"I wasn't-" Closing my eyes, I calmed myself down with a large exhale, there was no point in arguing with her, I never win anyway besides she's sick today so let's call it a tie. "Do you want some medicine?" I offered instead, when I heard her heavy breathing due to her extreme cough. She leaned back against the headboard with a tired sigh and shook her head.

 

"I'll be fine after some sleep." She waved me off, and tilted her head towards her alarm by her bed.  "Besides you're going to be late. Class starts in 30 minutes."

 

"Are you sure?" I queried, noting how flushed her cheeks were and the bit of sweat around her forehead. Was it going to be safe leaving her alone? 

 

"Taeyeon, I'm seventeen not four, I assure you, you can leave me home alone and the house won't burn down to the ground when you're back." Jessica retorted, shooing me away from her, "So bye."

 

"Do you at least want me to make something to eat? Like porridge?" I continuously pressed on, the image of Jessica sick, while suffering from hunger wondered into my mind, but what the whole idea of Jessica touching the stove again frightens me even more. 

 

"I said I'm fine." Jessica repeated, clearly annoyed. "And you have class, Miss I-am-never-absent."

 

"You sure?" Trying one last time, "No medicin-" Before I finished a pillow came flying towards me, hitting me square in the face.

 

"No, and I'm positive I don't want any porridge, medicine or babying at all."

 

"Fine." I huffed, making my way out. After the all the nice things I offered to do for her willingly, "Don't say I never offered to help or care about you."

 

"I won't, now give me back my pillow."

 

 

 

Twirling my pen around my fingers anxiously while looking out the window drowning myself in deep thought, I rested my chin against my palm with a sigh. Letting myself wonder over little things like I wonder if she ate yet, is the kitchen in one piece, or did her cold get worse. Then mentally slapping myself for constantly letting Jessica occupy my mind. It wasn't like I didn't offer to help, so why should I feel guilty over not helping.

 

"Taeyeon..." A whisper and fast pokes on my back, halted my train of thoughts. I turned my head back at Sunny but before I could even ask her what she wanted another voice called my name only this time louder.

 

"Taeyeon!" A harsh sound knock consecutively against my desk, startling me, nearly giving me a heart attack. I lifted up my head and eyes meet with my teacher's not so amused ones. "Does outside have the answer to my question?"

 

That was stupid, how is that even possible. If looking outside would give me answers I wouldn't have to study so hard for her ridiculously hard tests all the time. She could have just said pay attention. Instead of voicing out those thoughts, I meekly shook my head, "No, Ms. Song."

 

I could feel everyone's eyes on me, a wave of heat flushed through my body. I hated when all the attention were directed on me. Those eyes that were quietly judging or simply watching, the feeling made me even more self conscious.

 

"Then stop day dreaming and pay attention." She reprimanded, "Stop zoning off and solve the next problem." I obediently nodded my head with a small sigh. I couldn't wait to leave.

 

 

"What were thinking about before?" Sunny asked, we brought our tray to our usual table. "That was a first for you? Something wrong?"

 

I sighed at the reminder of last period, it was all Jessica's fault. I shook my head, "It's nothing, I was just tired." I lied avoiding Sunny's accusing stare but before she could interrogate me, a voice called out my name. I looked over at the direction of the voice. And the one person I didn't want to see was standing right there.

 

"T-tiffany?!" 

 

"You left so soon yesterday," She pouted, "We didn't even get to hang that much."

 

My eyes glanced over at Sunny who was quietly planning her escape to abandon me, she pointed at the table and quickly walked over there where Yuri was waiting. I looked back at Tiffany with a smile, I tired hard to seem natural and not at all flustered or uncomfortable.

 

"I wasn't feeling well and Jessica brought me back home, sorry."

 

"It's fine, wish you stay longer though. By the way, where's Jessi? Did she come today?"

 

"Oh she's home, she caught a cold, and refused to come."

 

Tiffany's smile was replaced with a worried look right away, "Is she okay? Maybe I should visit her after class."

 

Immediately I interjected, "It's fine, it's not that deadly, she'll be in school tomorrow." The last thing I needed was to spend the afternoon taking care of a sick Jessica while dealing with the awkward tension every time I see Tiffany. There wasn't any heart stinging or bunched up envy, it was just plain weird now that Tiffany have a boyfriend. I knew she was never gay but I guess I always secretly wished. 

 

"You sure?" Tiffany pressed on. "Maybe I should stop by to see how Jessi is doing."

 

"It's fine, and probably wants to sleep the entire day away." I gave a sheepish grin and quickly speed walked towards Sunny. "Thanks for leaving me best friend."

 

"What?" She rose her brow questioningly. "I thought I was doing you a favor."

 

"Not a favor at all."

 

"Did something happen?"

 

"It's a long story," I replied as nonchalantly as possible , repeating the story would be a hassle. "I'll tell you some other day."

 

Aimlessly I looked at my phone, ignoring Sunny's vacant gaze on me. I knew she wanted to ask but I also knew she would never press me to spill something I  didn't want to explain, which makes things a whole lot easier. After a few short seconds she brought her attention back to her lunch. 

 

"How's living with Jessica?"

 

With slum shoulders, I gave her an annoyed look. It seems everything I do, or wherever I am, Jessica just keeps popping up. There was just no escape from talking about her. With Tiffany, with Sunny and even in my mind right now, the thought of her is rooted there. Letting out a huge exhale of air, Sunny brought her two hands up in surrender.

 

"I was just asking."

 

"As annoying as it possibly can be." I bluntly fulfilled her curiosity. 

 

Sunny hum a reply. Seeing my lack of enthusiasm for the topic, she quickly switched the subject of the conversation. "Are you coming over today, since you left me last time, I had to sit home alone, bored with no company, thanks at lot by the way."

 

"You're the one who brought up the idea of me going home and checking up on Jessica." I retorted.

 

"It was just a thought." Sunny shrugged, "So are you coming?"

 

I let my mind pondered over my choices, it had been a long time since I hanged out with Sunny. But the same annoying thought at the back of my mind that had been stuck in my mind since morning pushed me into going home. A day with my best friend which is the most obvious choice or a day with a sick girl probably doesn't want me  in the house anyway. 

 



 

Sorry, I didn't realized I accidentally hid the story again till I read the comments. Again sorry xp. Also i changed it from rated m again because I'm been indecisive about it so for now I'm leaving it like that until maybe I decide to change my mind, hope you guys can understand. And this is a short update, it's been awhile so I wanted to update sooner, and I promise I'll update faster later this weekend, so look forward to it. :D