Chapter 5

THE LETTER L : A JOURNEY TO YOUR HEART

A Bit of a Jelly

 

 

The day is ordinary. It is a Friday and most were bored, hoping for the day to finish fast. First class just finished and Eunji feel the need to go to the bathroom. She’s about to ask Bomi to accompany her but seeing the latter talking with a classmate, she decides to go alone. It was already two months since the class started. And Bomi, with her funny and cheerful personality already clicks with the class. She already has many friends and Eunji is happy that Bomi is adapting well. 

She goes inside the washroom and enters the last cubicle and does her business. After washing her hands she just checks herself in the mirror before walking out of the washroom. Taking a few steps, she heard someone calling her name.

 

“Eunji sunbae”

She turns around and saw a short haired girl running to her

“Why?” She asked

“Mrs. Lee is calling for you. She’s at the faculty room.” The girl said after catching her breath

“Ah, okay. I’ll go now. Thank you uhm Namjoo-shi” Eunji said peeking through the nametag of the girl.

“Ah, okay”

 

After bowing to each other Eunji goes straight to the office while Namjoo went to her class. She bowed to the teachers as she entered the said office and walk to Mrs. Lee’s table

“Mrs. Lee, you called for me?”

“Ah Eunji, yes. We will a meeting and I can’t attend to your class today. I will just leave an activity for your class” Mrs. Lee continues her instruction to Eunji. Mrs. Lee trusts her since she performs well in the class and also has a good reputation. After getting the instructions, Eunji went back to class with her hands full of worksheets. On her way she saw Chanyeol walking out of the boys’ washroom.

 

“Oh Eunji, let me help you” Chanyeol offered help, being the gentleman he is.

“No it’s not heavy. I’m fine” Eunji shook her head

“Aish, it’s okay let me carry that for you”

“No Chanyeol”

The two were fighting over the small thing while heading back to class.

 

“You’re so stubborn Eunji-ah” Chanyeol said, finally giving up with their fight, but Eunji didn’t answer him and just remain quiet.

The two walk back to class quietly, with Chanyeol following Eunji from behind. They were nearing their classroom when Chanyeol spoke again

“When will you ever look at me the way you look at Baekhyun” It was merely a whisper, but because of the quietness of the hallways, Eunji heard it clearly. She stopped walking and faces the taller guy

“Chanyeol ah—“

“Why don’t you just like me instead of him?  He will never like you, even if he stopped liking me, he will still like another guy, not a girl. Eunji, you’re wasting your time on him. Why don’t you just turn your attention to someone else? Someone who deserves of your love? Someone who would love you back”

Eunji smirked at him. She was not usually like this, and he’s surprised at her act.

“You’re talking as if we’re not on the same situation. Why don’t you do the same? Find someone else; give your attention to someone who deserves it. Someone who will love you back. If you think I’m wasting my time on Baekhyun, then you’re wasting your time on me too.” She shoved the worksheets to Chanyeol’s chest before running back to their classroom, leaving him dumbfounded.

She opens the backdoor of their classroom but stopped when she saw Baekhyun and Bomi laughing with each other. Eunji noticed that the two were awkward at first, but now they seemed to be close already with each other. She knows that both were funny, and she won’t wonder why they clicked. Even before, Bomi and Baekhyun were their source of laughter. Eunji knows that they were just friends, but she can’t help to feel that jealousy in her heart. She believes that Baekhyun can fall in love with a girl. She’s so sure of that. But seeing them now,

 

 

 

She’s afraid that she’s not that girl.

 

 

 

Eunji’s still standing by the door when Chanyeol already come, but just walk past her and goes in front to put the worksheets on the teacher’s table. Walking slowly, Eunji also goes in front, avoiding Chanyeol’s eyes while he goes to back to his seat.

Baekhyun, noticing the look on the two’s faces, can sense that something happened. He just remained quiet and seat properly while the clueless Bomi goes back to her seat.

“Back to your seats guys” Jongdae announced and the others obliged, Eunji mouthed her thanks to their president before turning her attention to the class and explaining their work for today’s English class.

 

 

 


 

 

 

Getting out of the bathroom, Eunji sees Hayoung drying up her hair with a towel. The younger is already at her place at the upper bunk and smiled at her unni. Eunji just finished her shower and they were about to sleep and end the day. Eunji goes to her bed and started drying her hair. She feels the movement form the upper bunk and knows that Hayoung already lay down on her bed. She mentally counted 1…2…3

 

“Good night unni” Hayoung said

“Night Hayoung-ie” She answered. With the time they spend together as dorm mates, she grew closer with the younger girl and already knows some of her habits.

 

 

After a while, Eunji turn of the lamp and lay on her bed. She’s lying on her bed but she was not sleeping. She can’t fall asleep and her mind kept thinking of the earlier scene. She shakes her head and turn to her left, covering her body with the blanket and trying to fall asleep, but after a good 15 minutes of suffocation under the thick blanket, she remove it from her face sighed.

 

 

“Can’t sleep unni?”

Eunji heard Hayoung, she peek from her bed and see Hayoung’s face, peeking from her bed.

 

“You’re not asleep too?”

“Yeah” Hayoung answered and soon, Eunji heard her going down her bed. Eunji took her phone and see the time. It’s already 10:30 in the evening

 

“You should sleep now Hayoung, aren’t you going home tomorrow?” Eunji asked as she sat up on her bed.

“I can’t sleep.” Hayoung said and sat on Eunji’s bed. “Your bed is comfortable unni” the younger said and lay down.

“Yah, you have you own bed, sleep there”

“Eyy, let me sleep here unni, please”

“Hayoung-ie how old are you really, such a child” Eunji just said and lay down beside Hayoung.

“I’m just kidding unni, I’ll go back to my bed later”

“Okay. Since I can’t seem to sleep too, tell me about your day”

 

“My day? Well, it’s ordinary. Just class, boring class”

“That’s it?” Eunji gave her a look, even though Hayoung can't see it since it's dark in the room

“Oh, you know Mr. Kim right? The handsome math teacher”

“Mr. Kim Junmyeon? Oh yes, he’s also our math teacher, why?”

“He distributed these papers for our quiz and guess what? One of the questions included Ms. Park”

“Ms. Park? Park Chorong?”

“Neh, the question goes like,  Chorong buying 5 orders of chicken feet… something like that. I forget the rest. But I was internally laughing reading that question”

“Really? Daebak! Hayoung, when Mr. Kim have recorded that quiz and returned the paper, let me borrow it. I’ll show that to unni. She will be crazy knowing that Mr. Kim used her name”

“It was really hard to contain my laughter, especially when you told me that Ms. Park has a crush on Mr. Kim”

“I am excited to see unni’s reaction. It would be priceless!” Eunji laughed along with Hayoung

 

“Oh, another thing unni”

“What’s that?”

“Do you know Oh Sehun?”

“Oh Sehun? I think I’ve heard the name. A junior maybe? Right, he’s a junior. Basketball team.”

“Wow, you know him”

“He’s pretty popular among the girls I guess? Some of my classmates were always talking about him. Why? You have a crush on him?” Eunji teased

“What? Aniyo! I actually don’t know him. But, if he’s popular… I think I’m in trouble.”

“Why? Did you do something? Why would you be in trouble?”

“I… I kicked his balls”

“Pfft…what?!”

“Yah, unni don’t laugh! It’s his fault too, even he’s popular, that doesn’t mean he can get every girl”

“Why? What happened tell me!”

“He suddenly comes to me and said “You! Be my girlfriend” Like who does he think he is, does he think I’m cheap? That if he say I’ll be his girlfriend I’ll just agree? In his face! Ugh, he’s so arrogant unni!”

“Woah, Daebak!” Eunji said while laughing

“He even said that I’ll regret rejecting him. Pfft, as if I care”

“Really Hayoung you did that? You’re so awesome”

 

“Unni” Eunji stop laughing and look at Hayoung “I’m still mad at that Sehun, but I’m glad that I made you laugh”

 

“Hayoung-ie”

“I noticed that you’re down. Unni, you can tell me if something’s bothering you”

“Eyy, you’re so kind Hayoung-ah. I’m happy to have you as my roommate and friend” Eunji sighed “It is Baekhyun, again. I don’t even know why I still keep on liking him. I think I’m jealous. But you know, I don’t have the right to feel jealous. And worse, it’s because of my bestfriend, Bomi.”

“But Baekhyun sunbae doesn’t like girls, right?”

“Uhm, but I can’t help myself. It’s coming back. I actually felt this before. But I don’t really mind it before because I was still young, but now, the pain is different”

“Before?”

Eunji nodded “Remember I told you that we all went to the same martial arts school right? It happened ..."

 

 

 

 

 

 

"that summer."