Coffee or Me? (Final)

Coffee or Me?

“One cappuccino and one brewed coffee” the young lady in the counter says as she hands the receipt to Minseok.

“Coming right up!” he cheerfully answers.

 

Minseok is now working at the high class coffee in Gangnam. After successfully and almost effortlessly passing the interview, Minseok and the others who passed the interview were already made to train the following week. Two weeks after that and the coffee shop successfully opened its doors to the customers.

Since then, each and every day was a challenging but fulfilling experience for Minseok. Since the shop is high class, it served some drinks that are not sold in other coffee shops. The difficulty level of some of the drinks are really meant for skilled and experienced baristas, that’s why Minseok works harder to become better and serve the best coffee they can give. Minseok has really put into practice what he had learned in class. Even though it’s hard work, Minseok finds it satisfying. Who wouldn’t be happy doing something they love?

 

“Here you go!” Minseok carefully hands over the tray to the server. He dusts his hands off and crosses his arms as he looks at the reaction of the customers that received his coffee. He watches them take a sip. One of the customer, a young woman in his early 20s, reacts to the cappuccino she ordered. Her eyes enlarge and her face makes an “Mmm!” face as she nods her head to the person across her. Minseok couldn’t see the other person’s face and only saw her nodding too. With these reactions, Minseok feels like he did a job well done. He put his hands on his waist and stood proudly of his work.

“There you go again with your ‘I did a good job’ stance hihi.” giggled the young lady who works at the counter.

“Huh? What do you mean? Why wouldn’t I be proud? And anyway, I’m older than you!”

“Haha! Right, right… Minseok oppa~!” the young lady winked.

“Minji, you’re at work. Stop that.”

“I was just joking oppa!” she giggled again. “By the way, do you see those two women sitting at the corner?”

Minseok turns his head.

“Oppa don’t turn your head around! Just casually look at them!” Minji whispers in panic. “Did you see them?”

Minseok nods.

“I noticed they were looking here since 20 minutes ago. At first I thought maybe they were looking at Suho oppa, but after he left for his break, they were still looking here.” Minji moves closer and whispers in Minseok’s ear, “I think they like you!”

She then quietly squealed to express her excitement, while Minseok only smiled. “Oppa look! They’re looking!”

Minseok turns around and looks at the women at the table. They’re flirtily looking at him and giggling.

“Oppa! What do you think? The one with the long hair seems pretty and looks kind!” Minji playfully asked.

Minseok smiles. “I think she’s okay.”

“Then what about the short haired one?”

“I also think she’s okay.”

“Eeeh! Oppa, you’re no fun! Why is it that whenever I ask you something like this you don’t react very well.”

“Huh? What do you mean?”

“Well, you always seem disinterested.”

“Aah. Hehe. Well, it’s not that I’m not interested, it’s just...”

“Aaaah!! I get it! You’re too shy!” Minji’s face seems like she knew what’s up. “Oppa, you’ll never date someone if you’re too shy. Why don’t you ask that girl out?” Minji points at the girl with long hair.

“Uhh… That’s… Uhm...”

“What? Not your ideal type? Then the short hair?”

Minseok smiles and shakes his head. This is getting ridiculous, Minseok thought.

“Actually, I… already like someone.”

Minji’s eyes grew big and became agape out of surprise. She suddenly, and powerfully, slaps Minseok’s arm that the two women who were staring at them were a bit shocked and looked away.

“Oppa!” Still in a whispering but angry voice, Minji tells him off “Why didn’t you tell me? We’ve been working for so long. Why tell me this important information now? *sigh* I can’t believe you!”

Minseok can only force a smile.

“So, is she pretty? Is she a friend of yours? How did you meet her? Or maybe she’s a stranger you saw passing by and you fell in love at first sight and now you’re stalking her?” Minji thoroughly questions Minseok.

“Uhh. That’s too much Minji hehe” Minseok could only force an awkward smile.

 

Suddenly, a customer enters.

 

“Good afternoon! Welcome to Beans Coffee Shop!” Minji shouts as she quickly moves back to the counter.

Phew! That was a close call, Minseok thought. It’s not that Minseok doesn’t want to talk about his love life, it’s just that he thinks it’s too difficult to explain his current relationship. Besides, if he tells Minji about this, he’ll get questioned and pestered for an eternity.


 

It’s been 10 months, Minseok counted. It’s been that long since he last saw Luhan. After being asked to move to China with him, Minseok thought long and hard at that moment. It was a very important decision. Luhan waited patiently.

 

After a long thought, Minseok told Luhan, “Luhan, I love you… But I think I’ll stay here.”

 

With those words, Luhan’s face drops.

“It’s not that I don’t want to be with you.” Minseok further explains, “I honestly don’t want to be away from you anymore… but the way things are right now, it’s difficult for me to go to China.”

Luhan lifts his head and looks at Minseok’s eyes. Somehow he understands.

“After thinking so much, I think it’s best if I stay here and pursue my career. Again, I do love you. It’s just that, I think there’s no reason for me to go to China. Honestly, this might sound harsh, but the reason you’re going back to China is because of your problem with your family. Although I’m related to that problem, I don’t think I can be of much help to sort that out. You need to sort things out with your father.”

Luhan’s face expresses realization. And then his expression changed to bitterness, and guilt. “I think you’re right” Luhan says, “You’re really thinking things through. That’s one thing I love about you.” Luhan smirks, but his eyes are noticeably sad. “I’m sorry if I asked a selfish thing. I feel so stupid making you choose me or your career. You should pursue becoming a barista. I don’t want to waste what you’ve worked hard on. I will support you!”

Minseok smiles brightly. He slowly tears up again.

“But you know what,” Minseok says, “even though we’re apart doesn’t mean we don’t need to be in a relationship. I know it might be difficult, but knowing everything now, I trust you.”

 

“Will you wait for me?” Luhan’s face lits up and gives Minseok a determined look.

 

“Huh?”

“I’ll go back here. I’ll definitely go back here.” Luhan steadily looks at him. “I’ll patch things up at my end. I’ll make them understand. And then I’ll go back here and stay with you. Until then, wait for me.”

 

Tears start to run down Minseok’s cheeks again.

 

“I’ll wait, Luhan. No matter how long it takes.”

 

They fall in each other’s embrace.

 

Since then, Luhan and Minseok have been contacting each other via email or call. They both express their love and longing as much as they could. They often talk through email, that’s why when they get a chance to talk on the phone, it brings them excitement because it makes them hear each other’s voices.

Luhan would update Minseok on what’s happening between him and his family. After arriving in China, Luhan’s father was so angered with his act of rebellion that he wasn’t allowed to step outside of the house to discipline him. Luhan didn’t argue with his father, instead he accepted his punishment and waited for the right time to sincerely and seriously talk about him moving in Korea. After having the chance to talk to him, his father refused to let him leave but Luhan kept asking and convincing his father each and everyday. But he didn’t just tried to convince his father through words, Luhan also started to show his father that he will change for the better. He helped around the house. Read more to learn more. When he was finally allowed to go outside, he immediately looked for a job. Luhan listened more to his parents, especially his father. He wanted to show that he is determined, and serious about living with Minseok. He wanted his father to know he’s reliable, responsible, and trustworthy. He wanted his father to know that he has a dream he wants to achieve. And that dream is a happy life with Minseok.

Luhan tells Minseok that his father is gradually warming up to him and taking him seriously. One time, his father acknowledged his determination and hard work, but he still wouldn’t let him go because it’s not the right time yet. Minseok understands Luhan’s situation and has no choice but to wait for his promise of returning. All they can do now is to not give up, to not let go of each other, and to wait. No matter how long it takes.


 

“Oppa! So when are you going to talk about the person you like?” Minji interrogates Minseok as she closes the back door. They’re now at the back of the coffee shop taking a break. Minseok is eating a sandwich. Minji lights a stick of cigarette.

“You smoke?!? When did you--” The surprised Minseok asks.

Minji  blows a big puff of smoke. “So when are you gonna tell me your story?”

“You don’t give up do you?”

“It’s because oppa is interesting.” She blows another puff of smoke. “Then… just tell me what you like about her.”

Minseok thinks for a moment.

“Actually… I’m not sure. Hmm… We we’re best friends since high school, and we grew closer and fonder of each other. We just realized we love each other.”

“WAIT. SO YOU’RE ACTUALLY IN A RELATIONSHIP NOW?!?” Minji shouts out of shock. “OPPA! WHY MUST YOU TORMENT ME?!? All this time I thought you’re single, then it turns out you’ve been in a nobody-knows-how-long year relationship!”

“Hehehe that’s too much Minji… Well, I like to keep things private.”

Minji calms down and sighs. “So basically you love everything about her… even her bad sides?”

“Yes. Everything.” Minseok let’s out a sweet smile.

“Hmmm… Lucky … But, wait, why doesn’t she go here to visit you? Is she also the shy type?”

“Well… that person doesn’t really live here.”

“Where does she live?”

“... China.”

“What’s she doing there?”

“That person’s Chinese.”

“SHE’S A FOREIGNER?!? Oppa, you’re really something!”

“Hehe. I was just very lucky to meet that person.”

“Hmmm… Oppa, you’re really interesting… So you’re in a long distance relationship right? How are things so far?”

“We’re still holding on.” Minseok smiles.

“Do you have plans living there with her?”

“No. That person’s going to live here with me. That person supports my career here.”

“Ooh. Interesting. *sigh* I guess you’re very lucky oppa. Better save up for your dowry when you marry her.”

Minji finishes her last stick and showers herself in perfume. “I’m going back.”

Minseok finishes his sandwich and thinks about Luhan. He misses him so much. He’s feeling almost the same way when Luhan had left him. The only difference is that he doesn’t feel the pain of hurting. Now, it’s more of a deep longing. Even after knowing the truth and after reconciling, why aren’t they still together? Minseok thought. He just misses him more if he thinks this way.

For now, I just have to be patient, and I just have to trust him. Minseok thought. Still he wishes that he could see Luhan as soon as possible. Maybe next month? Next week? Tomorrow? Why not now? He could only imagine.

He stretches a bit and goes back in.

Suddenly, Minji runs up to her. “OPPA! Please, please, take care of the counter for me! Ugh! My stomach’s gonna blow! I’ll be right back!”

He can’t believe it. That colleague of him is such a mess. She’s actually pretty, but her personality is too much. I guess I’ll man the counter for now.

 

It’s almost four in the afternoon. There’s not much people in the cafe. Minseok, standing in front of the counter with arms crossed, feels bored and sleepy. He let’s out a deep yawn and slowly bows his head down. His eyes start to blur and get watery. Oh no, I’m getting really sleepy. Must not… sleep at… work...


 

Suddenly, a customer enters.


 

The customer walks in front of the counter. In front of the snoozing Minseok.

 

“Ahem!”

 

Minseok becomes startled and clumsily hits the cafe merchandises beside the counter. Minseok quickly crouches and picks up the fallen merchandises. As he flusteredly picks up the stuff, he addresses the customer.

“Good afternoon dear customer! I’m sorry to cause this commotion.” As he picks up the last piece of merchandise, he stands up, smiles, and asks, “What will you have today?”


 

“Iced coffee… You’re favorite.”

 

Minseok recognizes that voice. He recognizes that figure. He recognizes that hair. That nose. Those lips. Those eyes.

 

Those were Luhan’s... It’s Luhan.

 

Minseok can’t move. He’s in too shock and awe. He wants to touch him. Hold him. Kiss him. But all he could do to express those feelings was to cry.

 

As his tears start to gather in the corner of his eye, and as his cheeks become red, the man before him could only let out a sweet, lovely smile.

 

And before their hearts start to burst in love and happiness, Luhan says,



“I’m home.”


A/N: It has ended. May they live happily together forever. Thank you very much for reading! :)