Bitter Again

Coffee or Me?

Morning came, and Minseok woke up to the sound of his phone vibrating. He reached out for his phone before he even realized that he had dozed off on the sofa. His neck and lower back stiffened due to the uncomfortable position he had slept in, resulting to a painful sensation when Minseok moves.

He checks his phone and it seemed that he had 12 missed calls, and 21 messages.

 

All coming from Luhan.

 

This just reminded him of what happened yesterday which Minseok would only like to forget.

 

Despite being curious of his messages, Minseok put his phone aside and started to get ready for class. He’s already an hour late, but there was no sense of urgency in Minseok. He moved as if he had all the time in the world.



 

“In two more days, you’ll receive your diploma. Your diploma only signifies your completion of this program, but it won’t entitle you on a good employment. Because getting a good job, will rely on your abilities. If you have performed well in this program, then various shops will ask, and some will beg, for your resume. You can even start your own business if you wish. But if you did poorly, still don’t lose hope, because there is a place for each one of us. Just work hard!... Did I make sense?” said the instructor.

The class answered in chorus. Most students answered with a smile, excited for what lies ahead, and some answered with worried eyes that seem to regret not having maximized their time in the academy, while one student, Minseok, did not even respond.

The instructor, who smiled and nodded, was pleased at the response, “That’s good! Okay class. It’s our last meeting tomorrow! Don’t be late! You are dismissed.”

The class gets up and some bows to their instructor as they exit the door.

The instructor then approached Minseok who was packing his belongings.

 

“Minseok-ah… you seem distracted again. You came in two hours into class. I’m telling you, you missed a lot.”

Minseok quietly apologized as he bowed to his instructor, and then continued packing his things.

The instructor let out a deep sigh and said, “Minseok-ah… Never let your personal life mix with your career. If you’re working, only think about work, and nothing else. Because once you think of something else, you become distracted, and then you don’t perform well. Am I making sense?”

Minseok looked up to his instructor with teary eyes. He can feel how stupid he was, and it just makes him want to cry his heart out.

His instructor continued, “Now if there’s something bothering you, or if something... or someone, hurts you... the only solution is to remove them in your life. Once you get rid of them, they will never bother you again. Just… move on Minseok-ah… move forward.”

After saying those words, the instructor pats Minseok’s back to comfort as well as encourage him.

“Are you ready to graduate?”

Minseok swallowed, and answered that he is.

“Good… I told my friend you’ll be applying. He’ll wait for you.”

Minseok nodded.

“Make me proud!... Oh, by the way! Since the shop’s in Gangnam, I suggest you rent a place nearby... Unless you want to commute for almost an hour to get to work… I mean, you can, but you wouldn’t want to be late.”

Minseok nodded again, bid good bye to his instructor.


 

Since the shop’s in Gangnam, I suggest you rent a place nearby

 

That would mean, there’s a possibility that Minseok might have to move out of his apartment.

He had stayed there for almost a year and a half that he felt like this was his one and only home. However, that home was also a place where beautiful, and painful memories reside. Nonetheless, home was home.

 

But, moving out would also mean that he’s moving on to a better life. A life where he must forget the pain from the past, and only care about the present and look forward to what lies ahead. Moving would mean leaving Luhan behind, as well as the memories he shared with him.

 

This might be for the best, Minseok thought. But, he wasn’t sure.




 

It was a simple but formal celebration where 33 students received their diploma, and are now recognized as capable baristas, or coffee shop owners.

Minseok, sharply dressed in a black tailored suit climbed up on stage to receive his hard earned diploma. He firmly shakes the hand of each faculty lined up on stage with his right hand, while proudly holding his diploma with the other. When he approached his instructor, Minseok smiled and reached out for his hand, but his instructor dropped the formalities and asked for a high five instead. This made Minseok surprised, and laughed. He made sure he gave his dear instructor the biggest and most awesome high five (which members from the audience noticed and giggled). He left the stage feeling as if that high five was more fulfilling and gratifying than his diploma.

At the end of the program, all students faced the faculty, and simultaneously made a big bow to show their deep gratitude and respect to their respective instructors, and to the academe as well.

This was a memorable day for each and every one, as this is their stepping stone to achieve their own dreams. Everyone acknowledges that what lies ahead is a tough road, but they are confident that the academy has equipped them with the knowledge and skill they need to become who they want to be.

Minseok bows and congratulates the students he passes by, as he walks towards his instructor who was waiting near the stage. Nearing his instructor, Minseok spread out his arms expressing that he wants a big hug from the instructor. The instructor fulfilled the request and the two tightly hugged each other, and for Minseok, it was like a ‘father and son’ moment, where a father shows his love, pride, and respect for his son. Truly, his instructor, who encouraged him throughout his study, has become a significant part of his life. Minseok cherished this moment.

As the two broke away from each other’s arms, his instructor asked Minseok when will he apply for the job in Gangnam. Minseok responded with joy that he’ll immediately apply tomorrow, which pleased the instructor.

“What will you do when you’re accepted? Will you move out like I told you?”

“... I’m still thinking about it, sir. But I will most likely move out. I think it would be better if I live near the shop.”

“Good. I wish you good luck!”

With this, the two shook hands, and bid goodbye, though they believe that they will see each other again.


 

Minseok walked along the lobby as he greeted some of his classmates who were either with their family, friends, or partner. Despite finding himself alone on this special day, he doesn’t even get envious, or sad of having no one by his side. To be honest, he’d rather be alone. He was contented this way.

 

Just when he thought about this, he sees the tall man named Wu Yi Fan sitting in one of the chairs in the lobby’s waiting area, who nods to the person sitting in front of him. This man stands up, and turns to Minseok who realized it was Luhan. Minseok stops walking, and stares at Luhan approaching him while holding a big bouquet in his hands.

 

Luhan walks up to Minseok who doesn’t look surprised nor happy. Minseok looked serious, his eyes unwavering while staring at Luhan.

 

Luhan, who looked apologetic and at the same time sad, hands him the bouquet saying, “Congratulations on your graduation.”

 

Minseok nods and accepts the bouquet.

 

“I’m sorry for not being able to see you or talk to you for the past two days... Have you seen my messages?” said Luhan, his face still apologetic.

 

“Yes.” Minseok really didn’t.

 

“I see.” Luhan takes a deep breath “Can I talk to you?”

 

“You’re already doing it.”

 

“In private?”

 

“Let’s do it here.”

 

Luhan sighs again. This time his expression looked sadder, and it seems that his eyes are starting to tear up. Luhan looks up at the ceiling, while covering his mouth, and blinks to prevent his tears from falling.

 

Luhan looks at Minseok. “I’m really sorry for--”

 

“Don’t be... Like I told you, I’m happy you left me. I wouldn’t have been here if you didn’t.” Minseok’s face and voice was firm and serious.

 

“Minseok...” This time Luhan’s face seems ready to cry.

 

Minseok looks away from Luhan, and suddenly sees the tall man sitting in the background and looking at them. He clears his throat and says, “I think you better go now. Your lover’s waiting.” Then he walks away.

 

Luhan turns around, his face confused. “Lover? What?”

 

“That tall man sitting in the waiting area.” Minseok answered as he still walked away from him.

 

Luhan runs towards him and grabs his arm which made Minseok jerk as he was pulled. He quickly pulls his hand away and shoots Luhan a pissed look, seeming to say What do you want?

 

“He’s not my lover.”

 

“Ah, really? Then why did he go to my house and tell me to stay away from you?” Minseok failed to realize that he had raised his voice which made the people near them, as well as the tall man, look in surprise.

 

Luhan was completely surprised by what Minseok told and by the way he reacted.

 

“He went to your house? When? Did he do anything to you? Did he hurt you?” Luhan’s face now showing disbelief and worry.

 

“He didn’t do anything to me. He just told me to stay away from you. After that, I never saw you. Now isn’t that suspicious?” This time, Minseok was the one trying not to cry.

 

“Actually,” Minseok continued, “ever since I met you again, something felt off. I started to think you were fooling around with me. But then I accepted you because you showed me that you’re sincere. But then right after we got back together, a man tells me to stay away from you and then you don’t come to see me… I don’t know what’s happening. I don’t even know you anymore.” Minseok inevitably sheds tears which made him embarrassed to cry in public, thus he ran towards the bathroom.

 

It only took a second after Luhan absorbed everything Minseok said and realized that he was crying and heading to the bathroom. He quickly followed.

 

Inside, Luhan held Minseok’s clenched fists covering his crying face, as he tried to comfort him.

Somehow, Minseok felt relieved, and happy to finally burst out his painfully kept feelings. Despite everything that had happened, he tried not to cry. So the pain only built up until it has become unbearable, resulting to him bursting out at the wrong place, and time. But it felt good, to finally release the heavy feeling in his chest.

 

Eventually, Minseok stopped crying, so Luhan started to talk again.

 

“Minseok… I’m really sorry for everything that had happened. For all the painful things I did to you… I’m really sorry.” Luhan draws himself closer to Minseok. “I’m here today, because I want to come clean.”

 

Minseok looked at Luhan with a questioning look.

 

“Everything I told you when we met were all true, except that I left out something which I didn’t think was important then… I just want to explain everything, and tell you what I really feel. Will you spare me your time?”

 

Minseok nods, though he’s scared and worried of what he’s going to hear.

 
 

A/N: GOOD NEWS:   Next Chapter: The chapter everyone's been waiting for! Luhan explains what happened to him, and the whole chapter will be in his POV!

BAD NEWS: Unfortunately, I'm still writing the next chapter. I don't have much time to write these days, because of school activities, and I'm kind of tired when I go home, so I don't have the energy to write. Also the chapter is really long. I've already written more than 2000 words and I'm just half way of the chapter. So, the real bad news is... I don't know if I will be able to finish the next chapter by Monday, or Thursday, so I might not update it by then. As early as now, I would like to apologize if I won't be able to update it by those days. Please understand.

But if a miracle happens, and I'm able to finish it before Monday, then I'll update! :)

THANK YOU FOR READING!!! <3

I'm also really happy with your comments, thank you for your feedback! <3

 

\(^O^)/