Salt

Coffee or Me?

“ARE YOU KIDDING ME RIGHT NOW?!? DOES THIS LOOK LIKE SUGAR TO YOU?!?” The instructor shouted at the face of the student.

“No, sir.” The stunned and shaken Minseok softly answered.

“WHAT IS THIS THEN?!?”

“Salt, sir.” Minseok bows his head.

“IF YOU KNOW THAT, THEN WHY DID YOU PUT SALT IN YOUR COFFEE?”

“... To reduce the bitterness sir.”

“... Ah, I’ve heard of that... BUT WE’RE MAKING FRAPPE MINSEOK, FRAPPE! IT DOESN’T HAVE SALT! Please focus! What’s wrong with you?!?”

“Yes, sir. Sorry, sir.”

Minseok had never been so embarrassed and humiliated. His cheeks were red, his eyes were tearing up, and his hands were trembling. He felt really gloomy and hopeless.

 

And this was all thanks to Luhan.

 

Since Luhan showed up two days ago, Minseok had not been himself lately. Sometimes, in class, he would go in a daze, and suddenly remember the time he spent with Luhan at the cozy coffee shop. Even when cooking, he remembers Luhan. Or even when he’s taking a bath or going home, he thinks of Luhan.

Minseok thought of Luhan too much that he had mistaken salt as sugar and put it in his coffee. As a result, his instructor caught him, and got mad.

Minseok was not upset because of the ‘salt in the frappe’ issue, but because he kept thinking of Luhan.

He thought he was over him. Turns out, he was just hiding his feelings and was just waiting for it to come out.

Minseok couldn’t understand himself. How could he still love the person who hurt him so much? More so, how could Luhan do such a cruel thing of showing up after leaving him, and telling him that he still loved him despite suddenly leaving him without a clear reason?

 

But then, a part of Minseok wants to see him.

 

His desire to see Luhan was suppressed in order to cope and move on. When he saw Luhan again, his feelings were unleashed, and he couldn’t help but wanting to see him again.

Luhan said he will come by some time. Minseok held on to those words. Each day, he goes home, hoping that Luhan will be waiting at his doorsteps. But Minseok only sees the empty streets and the lonely door touched by no one else.

Minseok longed for Luhan.

 

But Minseok was also doubting Luhan’s words and actions. Minseok felt like he wasn’t the Luhan he knew. Something was off.

First off, his reason for leaving him was just too vague for Minseok. It felt like Luhan was bored with his life with Minseok. Was Luhan just playing around with Minseok this whole time?

Also, Luhan mentioned that after he worked for his dad, he played around. What did Luhan mean by that? Did he... had an affair? Minseok thought. If so, then that would defeat Luhan’s words “... you were the only one in my mind for the past whole year. You, and you alone!” If he really did miss Minseok, why didn’t he return to Korea earlier?

Luhan was also the type of person who openly expresses his love. He seemed to have held back when they met. Of course, he may just had respected Minseok’s space, and didn’t want to suddenly leap onto him and hug or kiss him, but it didn’t seem that way to Minseok.

There was another thing. You still live there right? The way Luhan said these words sounded like he hadn’t lived there at all, Minseok thought. For Minseok, it was like Luhan forgot the place, and it’s as if he didn’t want to mention it.

Add to that the fact that he hadn’t showed up for two days. If Luhan truly missed him, why is he not on his doorstep the day after they met? Was Luhan shy? Minseok didn’t think so.

The last thing that Minseok noticed upon their encounter was that Luhan never said the words he would always say... I love you.

If he truly did think of him for the whole year, why can’t he even say he loves him? He only said he missed Minseok so much; does he only miss him? Missing comes with loving, yet Luhan only seemed to miss Minseok.

These were the thoughts that bothered Minseok’s mind.

However, despite these thoughts, his heart still only beat for Luhan. And Minseok didn’t like that. He still haven’t chosen which to follow.

He just can’t choose.


 

“Minseok. May I have a word with you?” The instructor told Minseok after class was dismissed.

The two walked inside a small office where the instructor comfortably sat down and motioned Minseok to sit down.

“Is there something bothering you?” The instructor asked.

“Uhm… No, sir. Why?” Minseok answered, surprised by his instructors question.

“Well, I noticed that you’re a little off these days. I see you look out the window or stare at your coffee and look dazed. Are you, by any chance, turning into Zhang Yi Xing?”

“What sir? Excuse me?”

“Uh no, no… Don’t mind my question. Uhmm… What I’m saying is, you don’t seem like yourself. You’re unfocused. And unfortunately, your performance is being affected. Now, I don’t want to upset you, but you’re starting to disappoint me.”

Minseok was a bit startled. He was not expecting this kind of conversation with his instructor. He started to get more upset.

“Now please, Minseok. Don’t be upset with what I said, instead, take it as a challenge. Minseok, I have not lose hope in you. I see potential in you. You could be one of the top class baristas out there, or maybe even one of the best coffee shop owners. What I’m saying is, you are good at what you’re doing. Please don’t waste that skill.”

“I understand, sir.”

“Good! Very good! Actually, I have a friend who’ll start a high class coffee shop in Gangnam two weeks from now. I told him that maybe he could take some of my students, since you’re going to graduate in a few days. And, I specifically referred you, and two other students, to become his baristas. If you’re interested, all you need to do is drop by the place next week. So, what do you think?”

Minseok can’t believe what he just heard. He stared at his instructor for a few minutes trying to grasp the situation.

This was a great opportunity for him to start off well in the business.

Finally, after being frozen, Minseok spoke.

“Uhm, sir...” he said, his voice trembling, “I… haha… I don’t know what to say. Haha. Uhm. I know I’m not the best student you have, but I will try not to disappoint you anymore. I will do my best sir!” And with a big bright smile, Minseok stood up and shook his instructor’s hand.

 

Though his day started out bad, his day eventually turned out to be a memorable day for Minseok.

Never did he imagine that he’ll start out on a good job so soon. He felt nervous yet excited at the same time. This was Minseok’s time to shine. This is what Minseok wanted.


 

He walked down the street towards his home, with his hands swinging gleefully, and with his face beaming with a smile, as a result of the day’s good news, when suddenly he notices a man in blue cardigan walking towards his apartment building.

 

As Minseok went closer, he started to recognize the man.


Standing a few feet away, Minseok saw Luhan reach out for the door to knock.

 


A/N: Thank you for reading! I will update next week!  \(^O^)/