Is Jong Hyun Being Nice or Too Nice?

Secret Bride

Sang Dae POV:

By the time I arrived, there was already a long line that was well out of the building where the fan signing took place. I felt odd standing by myself. Everyone else had come with someone or the other. They talked excitedly amongst themselves as they waited.

I folded my arms as if to protect myself. The line moved slowly but eventually it moved into the building and towards the area where supposedly the SHINee members were. After waiting for what felt like forever, I finally spotted the members. I frowned when the first person I saw was Min Ho but brightened up when I saw Jong Hyun sitting next to him. I smiled knowing that Min Ho had no clue that I was standing here. When my turn came I went up to the first person.

“Who should I sign it for?” Asked Onew. Thank goodness I had watched the music videos the other day otherwise I wouldn’t be able to recognize the members apart from Min Ho and Jong Hyun.

“Na Sang Dae,” I said watching Min Ho out of the corner of my eye.

I almost laughed when he froze and turned his head slowly to look at me. I turned to look back at Onew who gave me my autograph before shaking my hand. He seemed nice.

“Na Sang Dae,” I said in reply to Tae Min who sat next in line.

Again Min Ho froze. The same thing happened when I got to Key. Finally, I stood in front of Min Ho.

“What’s your name?” Asked Min Ho; his hand shook slightly as he took the next sheet of paper.

“Oh, I don’t need one,” I said smiling at him. “My grandfather is a big fan of yours though. Make it for him, Na Dae Pyung.”

I could tell that Min Ho was trying not to glare at me when I said that. I suppressed a smile and took the autograph from him before moving to Jong Hyun.

I couldn’t help smiling brightly when I stood in front of Jong Hyun. He smiled back and gave me a wink.

“To Na Sang Dae,” I said before he could say anything. “Study well.”

“Na. Sang. Dae,” said Jong Hyun slowly as he wrote out my name carefully. “Study well. From Jong Hyun.”

“Thank you,” I said bowing slightly before going off happily.

- - - - - - o - - - - - -

Min Ho POV:

I debated whether or not to call Sang Dae. While I was thinking, a message popped up on my phone screen.

From Deaf Girl:

Don’t worry. I wasn’t there for you.

What was that supposed to mean? Was it supposed to make me feel better in any way?

To Deaf Girl:

Then why did you come?

From Deaf Girl:

Homework.

To Deaf Girl:

What kind of homework is that? I thought homework was supposed to be hard.

From Deaf Girl:

Are you kidding? It’s hard standing in a line by yourself when you’re someone like me who doesn’t like going out and being in a crowd, especially one that big.

To Deaf Girl:

Why did you come alone? Why didn’t you come with your friend?

From Deaf Girl:

Who?

To Deaf Girl:

I’m assuming that the homework was from the friend who suddenly got you interested in Kpop. Where was she?

From Deaf Girl:

HE arrived a long time before me but I got to see him in the end.

To Deaf Girl:

You still won’t tell me who it is?

From Deaf Girl:

Nope.

To Deaf Girl:

Tell me.

From Deaf Girl:

Stop bugging me. I’m going to study now.

To Deaf Girl:

Liar.

From Deaf Girl:

You dare call your wife a liar? Fine then. No more food for you.

To Deaf Girl:

I hate you.

From Deaf Girl:

Tsk. Tsk. Should I forward this to your mom?

To Deaf Girl:

You wouldn’t dare.

From Deaf Girl:

The message would go something like this I suppose: Ommoni. My husband keeps mistreating me even though I do what he tells me to do. I made him food but he says he hates me. What should I do? Will you talk to him for me?

To Deaf Girl:

Just go study.

From Deaf Girl:

Gladly.

Min Ho 0: Sang Dae 4. I almost kicked the seat in front of me but at the last second I remembered that Key sat there and I wouldn’t live long after doing something like that.

“Yah! What’s wrong with you?” Asked Key. I quickly looked up. Had I accidently kicked the seat even though I thought I hadn’t? I noticed quickly that Key was talking to Jong Hyun and not to me. I relaxed.

“Hey guys, should I treat you to dinner?” Asked Jong Hyun turning around to face us with a smile on his face.

“Fried Chicken?” Asked Onew leaning forward excitedly.

“Sure,” said Jong Hyun smiling as he took out his phone. “Where should we order from?’

“There’s really something wrong with Hyung,” said Tae Min quietly to me.

I nodded just as confused. Suddenly I spotted a familiar bag next to Jong Hyun’s seat.

“Hyung… what’s that?” I asked pointing at the bag.

“Oh this?” Asked Jong Hyun picking it up and smiling. “I got it from a fan.”

A fan? I suppose a bag like that was pretty common. It’s not like Sang Dae even knew the SHINee members, right?

“Yah,” said Key looking almost disturbed. “You’re acting really… really strange today. Forget it! Tae Min, we’re bringing back the girlfriend theory.”

- - - - - - o - - - - - -

Jong Hyun POV:

I quickly texted Sang Dae.

To Sang Dae:

What’s your address?

From Sang Dae:

Why? What happened?

To Sang Dae:

I need to send you something related to today’s assignment.

“Aren’t you going to call?” Asked Onew as the car reached our dorm.

“I just need to check something,” I said getting out of the car after Key. “I’ll call them and then come up.”

- - - - - - o - - - - - -

I was in my room getting my wallet when the door bell rang.

“I’ll get it,” said Min Ho.

Finding my wallet, I ran out of my room.

“Hyung,” said Min Ho holding up the bill. “It says that you ordered six boxes but there’s only five.”

“The other box was-“ started the delivery boy.

“It’s okay,” I said loudly, taking the bill from Min Ho and pushing him back in the direction of the living room. “I should take care of the bill because I’m treating, right?”

I paid the bill quickly and took the boxes from the delivery boy. Onew got up and grabbed his box the moment I walked into the living room. I passed the rest of the boxes around. The moment I sat down, I received a text. I pulled out my phone.

From Sang Dae:

For some reason I just got a box of fried chicken for free. You didn’t have anything to do with that, did you?

To Sang Dae:

Just accept it. It’s to congratulate you on doing your first assignment so well.

From Sang Dae:

Thank you Teacher!

I smiled and put my phone away. I opened my box of chicken and took out a piece. I took a bite and was chewing happily when I noticed Min Ho, Tae Min and Key looking at me suspiciously. Onew was too busy eating to notice anything.

“What?” I asked.

“What’s wrong with you?” Asked Key. “You’re abnormally happy and you’re being… very nice today.”

“To be honest Hyung,” said Tae Min almost shuddering. “It’s a little scary. Are you planning some sort of revenge on us for something?”

“I’m not allowed to be nice?” I asked.

“Are you sure you’re not dating someone?” Asked Min Ho.

“I already said I’m not.”

“Don’t believe him,” said Key picking up a chicken piece before turning back to me. “We’ll be watching you closely, very closely.”

- - - - - - o - - - - - -

Sang Dae POV:

I was disappointed when class finished. So far English was my favorite class. Teacher Park was my favorite teacher in school, well besides my Kpop teacher, but recently he’d been too busy to attend school and give me lessons. He said something about filming a music video and having to stay up at night. So, I just studied on my own. I would impress him with my personal study.

“Sang Dae,” said Teacher Park calling me to the front of the class.

“Yes?” I asked.

“I was wondering something,” he said grabbing his bag. “Would you like to write for the school magazine?”

“Me?” I asked surprised.

“Don’t be so surprised,” said Teacher Park laughing. “You’re one of the best students in your class.”

“Thank you,” I said bowing.

“As much as I would like for you to just write for the magazine, there are some rules,” said Teacher Park handing me a piece of paper. “The magazine is holding a writing competition to look for new writers. Enter. It’ll be good for you. If you want, I can review your piece beforehand.”

“Really,” I said getting excited as I looked over the flyer. “I’ll be sure to enter.”

“Good,” said Teacher Park. “Now if you’ll excuse me, I have a teacher’s meeting to get to.”

- - - - - - o - - - - - -

“The best way for fans to get to know their idols is through the shows that the idols are on,” said Jong Hyun.

I nodded slowly.

“But I thought we were learning about Miss A today,” I said confused. So far, we hadn’t even touched the topic.

“The teacher has decided to go free style this evening. We’ll get back to the lesson plan next time,” said Jong Hyun opening the door to a car. “Get in.”

“Where are we going?” I asked cautious of getting into the car. “We aren’t staying on campus?”

It was already nine. Just where were we going at this time?

“I told you,” said Jong Hyun gently pushing me towards the car. “This evening we are going free style.”

“Okay,” I said getting into the car. “But what if someone recognizes you?”

“Thank you for being concerned but we’ll be okay. I have these,” said Jong Hyun holding up a mask and cap similar to what Min Ho had used the day I moved into my apartment. Some reason, I felt a little guilty but then remembered that I did owe Jong Hyun.

The first few minutes in the car were silent. I didn’t know what to say and it seemed like Jong Hyun was focusing on driving.

“Do you know how to drive?” Asked Jong Hyun.

“No,” I said.

“Really?” Asked Jong Hyun. “Then how do you get to school every day?”

“I ride my bike,” I said smiling at Jong Hyun’s surprised look. “Isn’t it far?”

“Not really. I just have to get up a little early. And besides, I like riding my bike. Back in my hometown I used to ride my bike every day to university that was in the neighboring town.”

“Can I ask you a personal question?” Asked Jong Hyun looking over at me.

“Sure,” I said nodding.

“What does your ring mean?”

I looked down at my left hand. The ring rested comfortably on my ring finger. It was a ring that I loved and yet slightly disliked.

“Ah, this? This ring was my mother’s wedding ring,” I said sighing. “My parents died in a car accident six months ago. When she died my grandfather kept it at first because it technically was a family heirloom. But recently, I got it back. I kind of promised him something, so he gave it to me. So, I guess it’s kind of a promise ring. But, it’s more so something I keep close to me because it belonged to my mother.”

Jong Hyun became silent. I could tell that he was thinking over what I said to him. Well, it was the truth, well half of it anyways. There was no way that I could tell Jong Hyun what the second meaning of the ring was. No matter how comfortable I was with him, I couldn’t tell him… not yet.

 “Was it hard for you?” Asked Jong Hyun.

“What?” I asked not understanding his question.

“Your parent’s deaths,” said Jong Hyun. “Was it hard on you?”

I paused as his words sunk in. He was asking me if it had been hard on me.

“You know,” I said tearing up. “You’re the first person who asked me that. Everyone said they were sorry for my loss but everyone else was worried about Grandfather’s health after they passed away. No one bothered to ask me how I was coping.”

“Are you okay?” Asked Jong Hyun seeing my tears. I nodded as I tried to stop. Jong Hyun pulled over and stopped. “No you’re not okay.”

I couldn’t see much past the blur of my tears but it seemed like Jong Hyun was looking for something. I heard him open his door and get out. Maybe he was embarrassed to be seen with me crying like this. I wanted to stop, but I couldn’t! Tears kept falling out.

Suddenly my car door opened and someone reached in to unbuckle my seat belt before turning me around to face them. Something like tissues were pressed to my eyes. I closed my eyes and tried to turn away.

“Stop moving,” said Jong Hyun. “If someone sees this, they’ll think I made you cry. We can’t have that now, can we? Thank goodness you don’t wear makeup. You’d be a mess otherwise.”

“I’m sorry. I’m not normally like this,” I said trying to wipe my tears with the back of my hand feeling embarrassed.

“It’s okay. I’m not normally like this either,” said Jong Hyun still trying to help me wipe my tears. “Do you want me to sing for you?”

I nodded slowly. Jong Hyun softly started to sing a song that I didn’t recognize but it didn’t matter. It was his voice I was listening to. Finally after a bit, I calmed down. I sniffed.

“Feeling better?” Asked Jong Hyun.

I nodded not wanting to ruin the spell with my voice. Why was Jong Hyun so nice to me?

“Good, because for the rest of the evening I don’t want to see any more tears because,” said Jong Hyun smiling at me. “This teacher and student are going free style for their class.”

I don’t know why, but I felt oddly warmed by his words.

 

-------------------------------------------------

Dear Subscribers,

I'm sorry, I wanted to put up this chapter yesterday but I wasn't feeling good. I also realized that my chapters are kind of short so I'll try to update more often. :) However, not this week, because I'm still not feeling too good and I know that I'll probably be sick in bed for the next two or three days.

Anyways, I hope you like this chapter! Please comment on what you thought about the chapter. :) If you liked the story, please subscribe!

Thank you!