Deaf Girl

Secret Bride

Sang Dae POV:

“Grandfather,” I said sadly. “I don’t want to move to Seoul. No, I won’t move to Seoul. I just started school.”

“Sang Dae-ah,” said Grandfather taking my hand. “You will have to move to Seoul if you future husband lives there, won’t you?”

“You already found me a husband?” I asked nearly shouting. “Who?”

“You know the boy,” said Grandfather trying to reassure me. “He’s my best friend’s grandson.”

“I thought he already had a fiancé,” I said confused.

“There is another grandson. His younger brother,” said Grandfather, a small twinkle in his eye.

“Him?” I exclaimed. “No, grandfather. Not him! I won’t marry him!”

“Why not? He’s very well off. He’s successful.”

“He’s a Kpop star!”

“So?”

“First of all, they aren’t even real people! They live these lives floating above us mere humans. Second, they aren’t even allowed to date let alone get married! Third of all, if any one finds out about this, his fans would murder me. No wait, torture me to death and then bring me back to life to torture me again!”

“How do you know that?”

“Because, that’s all the girls in school talk about. The moment they find out about how one of their favorite stars is dating someone, they come up with all these plans on how to get rid of the girl,” I said shuddering. “Do you think you’ll be peaceful in your after life when I lose all my hair and my fingers are broken one by one?”

“Sang Dae-ah. You have too much of a wild imagination.”

“Besides Grandfather,” I said continuing. “Everyone in his family dislikes him, besides his mother. There has to be a reason for that.”

“Sang Dae-ah, calm down,” said Grandfather patting my hand. “He followed his dreams. I don’t think that is a bad thing. My father wanted me to be a doctor but I decided to become a business man. It’s not always a bad thing to chase after your dreams. His father just needs to be more understanding of his son.”

“I won’t marry him Grandfather,” I said bowing my head.

“Please?” Asked Grandfather lifting my head so that he could see my eyes. “I want to see you secure in your future with someone I can trust.”

“I don’t understand what you like about him,” I said sighing.

“Please understand my concern for you.”

I sighed before standing up.

“I’m going out for a bit,” I said looking straight ahead. “I need to think about this.”

“All right. Just come back soon. Oh and tomorrow, his family is coming to visit us in the late afternoon or early evening. You need to look presentable.”

- - - - - - o - - - - - -

Min Ho POV:

It was late afternoon by the time I reached my hometown. I had gotten permission to come after saying that there was an emergency at home. Mr. Lee gave me only a day so I planned to leave tomorrow at noon. I brought only a small backpack which would get me through the night.

The train station itself was small and hardly anyone was there. Although I knew the way to my house, I had forgotten where Grandfather’s best friend lived. Mom called to tell me to go there before going home. She also told me to dress appropriately to meet an elder who I hadn’t seen in a long time. Because it was my mom, I agreed.

“Excuse me,” I said walking up to a window, above which were the words ‘Information Desk.’ “Do you know if I can get a taxi around here?”

“There are no taxis here right now,” said the man behind the glass without even looking up from his work.

“Ah, okay. Thank you,” I said before turning around.

What was I supposed to do? Walk? I didn’t even remember what the house looked like. Then again, maybe someone knew where he lived. He was pretty famous in our town, from what I remembered. I turned back.

“Could you tell me how I can get to Na Dae Pyung’s house?”

The man looked up at me suspiciously before answering.

“Just follow the main road. You’ll find someone along the way. Ask them,” he said roughly before once again going back to his work.

Not wanting to agitate him anymore, I thanked him and walked out of the train station. After walking on a relatively simple road from the train station, I found the main road. It was clearly labeled with a sign that simply said ‘Main road.’ Like he said, I followed it for about ten minutes until I realized that a girl riding on her bike was coming from behind me.

“Excuse me,” I said waving my hands as she got closer. For some reason, it didn’t seem like she was going to stop. When it looked like she was going to just go past me, I jumped in front of her bike. She pressed the brakes roughly and looked at me surprised and then irritated.

“Sorry,” I said bowing slightly. “I was just wondering if I could get directions to Na Dae Pyung’s house. You know the business man.”

She continued to look at me with a bored expression on her face.

“You don’t know Na Dae Pyung? He’s quite famous around here. He started a business with his best friend Choi Hyun Bin.”

The girl continued to ignore me and didn’t reply.

“Oi,” I said snapping my fingers when she moved to look behind me. “It’s rude to behave this way with someone who is older than you. I can tell because of these books in your basket.”

I picked one up.

“I studied stuff like this in freshman year,” I said leafing through it. “That makes me at around two or three years older than you.”

The girl grabbed the book exasperated and put it back in her basket. She sighed before moving her hands. I paused before realizing that she was trying to communicate with me in sign language. It was like a light bulb went off in my head. I had been waving my hands and yelling at a deaf girl.

“Oh,” I said moving to the side. “I’m sorry. I didn’t realize.”

I tried to explain that I was looking for a house with my hands. It was useless. She made a motion that seemed to mean that she was going to go.

“Couldn’t you wait until I found someone else?” I asked as she got back on her bicycle. “Couldn’t you help at least guide me to someone who could help? I don’t know where to go!”

The girl peddled away from me. Maybe it was just my imagination but it seemed as though at one point she turned around and was laughing at me.

- - - - - - o - - - - - -

“Min Ho, come and sit,” said Na Dae Pyung, or should I say Grandfather, patting the seat next to him.

“Yes Grandfather,” I said getting up from the floor.

“It’s been so long since I last saw you in person,” said Grandfather. “You should have come and visited me before. Now that I see you, I feel like I am seeing the younger version of your grandfather. You look so much like him.”

“He was busy with work,” said mom speaking up.

“You call that work?” Asked father roughly. I continued to ignore him.

“I will try to visit more often Grandfather. I was wrong.”

“No no,” said Grandfather happily. “I understand that you were busy. I may be old, but I do keep up with what you do so I understand.”

It was then that I saw the music collection next to Grandfather’s bed. While most of it was classical music, the only modern music he had was SHINee albums, all of the SHINee albums.

“Sadly Sang Dae only listens when I force her to. I wish she would keep up with her generation instead of staying by herself all the time,” said Grandfather shaking his head sadly.

“Speaking of Sang Dae, where is she?” Asked mom looking around.

“She came back from university just a little while ago, I told her to go get ready to meet you. She seems to be running a bit late though,” said Grandfather apologizing.

“It’s fine,” said mom. “Meanwhile, should we tell Min Ho?”

“Tell me what?” I asked looking around at the three of them.

“We’ve decided that you and Sang Dae will get married,” said Father with no emotion in his voice.

“What?” I exclaimed. “Did you just say marry?”

“Min Ho, just listen to what we have to say,” said mom trying to calm me down.

“When does he ever listen to what we have to say?” Asked Father heating up.

“I can’t get married! Especially not now,” I said getting up from my seat. A hand gently held onto mine. I looked down.

“Min Ho,” said Grandfather gently pulling me back down. “This is the last request of an old man. I don’t know how long I have left until I join Sang Dae’s parents and your grandfather in the afterlife. I won’t be able to face them if I don’t leave Sang Dae in proper care before I leave.”

“Grandfather. You know that at this time in my career I can’t get married,” I said trying to reason with him. “If anyone knows, my career will be destroyed.”

“That sounds like a good thing,” said Father. I closed my eyes in attempt to block out his comments.

“That girl from Wonder Girls got married,” said mom speaking up.

“Yes and now they are on a hiatus,” I said quickly. “SHINee can’t afford to go on hiatus right now.”

“Min Ho, I’m not asking you to give me any great-grandchildren. I told the same thing to Sang Dae,” said Grandfather. “I just need to be able to leave this world knowing that Sang Dae will be alright. Please tell me you’ll take care of Sang Dae for me. I want to leave her in your caring hands.”

“But, Grandfather,” I said trying to protest.

“Please Min Ho, before my health gets any worse.”

I sat feeling confused. I respected Grandfather very much because my own grandfather did. Grandfather also supported me whenever I needed anything; it was true that I was indebted to him. Once again my eyes landed on the SHINee albums.

Then there were the other SHINee members. I couldn’t abandon them. They were people I had grown close to and could call my brothers, even if they were odd at times. Then I had to think of all of the other people who worked with SHINee and the fans. The fans would definitely be disappointed.

“Too many people would be affected if I marry right now,” I said finally.

“No one outside the family has to know about the marriage,” said Grandfather. “We won’t register the marriage right away if that makes you feel more comfortable.”

“Then what would be the point of being married now?” I asked.

“Marriage is more than a piece of paper. It is a promise between people,” said Grandfather. “If the marriage can’t be made public now I understand but as long as I can set my Sang Dae in the care of someone who promises to take care of her in the future, I will be content and will be able to die in peace.”

“What happens if someone in the family does accidently or purposefully exposes the marriage?” I asked looking directly at my father. I knew if he could, he would use this to destroy me. “It would be disastrous to me.”

“I would never do that,” said Father matching my glare. “I respect Father’s wish to much. I for one am an obedient son.”

“How can I be sure?”

“Min Ho, don’t be like that,” said mom trying to get in between us.

“I need to be sure, or else I won’t agree to this.”

“If the marriage is made public,” said Father almost spitting out the words. “You’ll get all of the family shares in the company.”

“Omo. Yeobo,” said mom shocked.

“Write the contract and then I’ll marry Na Sang Dae,” I said smirking because for once, I had won the battle with my father.

If the marriage was made public, not only would I have all my family shares, I would have Na Sang Dae’s shares as well which would mean I would own most of the company which was something my father would not be able to stand because then I would own the company almost single handedly. If he wrote the contract and signed it, then only would I marry Sang Dae.

There was a knock on the door. The Ahjumma, from before, opened the door.

“Na Sang Dae is here,” said Ahjumma opening the door wider.

Almost immediately my eyes went to the door. Knowing it would be rude to stare, I lowered my head as she entered. It had been years since I last saw her. Back then, she had been a dorky girl with glasses and her nose in a book. She greeted the elders by bowing to them and calling them by name. I finally lifted my head to look at her when she finished. What I saw shocked me.

“It’s nice to meet you. Choi. Min. Ho,” said Na Sang Dae looking straight at me as she emphasized each syllable of my name. She stood there, her head titled slightly to the side, smiling confidently at me, knowing that I knew her. It was the deaf girl, or should I say not so deaf girl, who ignored me on the road no less than an hour ago.

 

 

------------------------------------------------

Yay! Second chapter up! Sorry, this chapter was a bit late but this week had been a busy one. Anyways, I hope you liked the chapter. I'm sorry the starting of this story is slow but I hope you'll stick with it. Please comment and let me know what you thought. And please subscribe if you liked it!