Chapter Seven: Deal or No Deal

My Lips are Sealed

            I shook the snow off my Uggs and opened the front door. Stepping into the mudroom, I could already hear his dorky laughter in the kitchen. I smiled to myself as I unwrapped the red scarf from around my neck and ed my coat. I straightened out the khaki knee-length skirt that sat loosely on my hips and the light blue button-up that it was tucked into it. I wished our school uniforms were cuter and more boyfriend-appropriate, but I doubted Byunghun would mind.

                The second I stepped into the kitchen, Byunghun’s head whipped around. He was seated at the breakfast bar, chatting away with my mom.

                My mom had an unusual infatuation with Byunghun. I swear he was the son she never had. Usually girls worry about whether or not their mothers will like their boyfriends; in my case, I worried about just how much my mother loved Byunghun. I couldn’t blame her, for he really was a charmer. He always complimented my mom on her new haircut or asked if she needed extra help preparing dinner that evening. Plus, he was cute.

                “Hey there, beautiful!” Byunghun smiled broadly. I jumped up on the barstool next to him. He planted a kiss on my forehead when my mom wasn’t looking, not that she even cared if we kissed in her presence. “Cute uniform,” he teased.

                “Oh, shut up,” I giggled, blushing at my frumpy wardrobe. I turned my attention to my mom. “Whatcha making?” I asked, noticing she was bent over and staring into the oven.

                “Cookies!” Byunghun cried happily.

                “Chocolate chip,” Mom added. She straightened up and turned back around. “How was school?”

                I shrugged, slightly twisting the barstool seat. “I had a test today on the anatomy of the human brain. It was easy. Oh, and, Kyusoon and Minah wanted to hang out tonight. There’s a party.”

                “Well, are you going?” Byunghun asked.

                “No,” I said flatly.

                “Why not?” Byunghun cried. “It sounds like fun, you should go with them!”

                “But then I can’t hang out with you,” I protested, still spinning on the barstool.

                Byunghun shrugged. “We can hang out another time. I’d hate to take you away from your friends.”

                “Do they ever ask where you are when you’re with Byunghun?” my mom asked, wanting to be involved in the conversation too.

                I stopped spinning and I nodded. “I usually tell them I’m babysitting. Or I can’t go out because I have homework.”

                “So you lie?” Mom stated.

                I gave her a look, and began protesting. “What else am I supposed to do? Tell the truth? Tell them I’m going out with my boyfriend who happens to be a celebrity? I can’t do that!”

                Suddenly, Byunghun looked down at his fidgety hands. “I’m sorry, okay? I really wish you could tell your friends. I wish I could tell fans I have a girlfriend…but I can’t. I can’t do that to them, or Teen Top. Andy-hyung says it’s better if I keep it a secret.”

                I looked at him sympathetically. “I know, I know! Byunghun, it’s not your fault, I—”

                Suddenly the doorbell rang three times; Minah and Kyusoon were here.

                Byunghun and I looked at each other with wide eyes.
                “Go in the living room!” My mom ordered to Byunghun. He nodded and darted out of the kitchen.

                I ran for the door. Sure enough, Minah and Kyusoon were standing there

                “Oh, good, you’re still home!” Minah smiled.

                “Yeah, uh, I’m about to leave though. But whatcha guys need?” I leaned casually against the doorframe.

               “Do you still have that gray skirt of mine?” Kyusoon asked, cocking her head to the side. “I think I’m going to wear it to the party tonight.”

                I racked my brain. “Uh, yeah, I think so.” My heart was pounding. Hopefully they wouldn’t want to come upstairs with me to retrieve it. In order to go up the stairs, you have to go through the living room, where Byunghun was hiding out of sight. Unfortunately for me, it had started snowing, and I couldn’t leave them on the porch. “Uh…you guys can come in.”

            I stepped aside and let Minah and Kyusoon in. When their backs were turned, I turned towards the kitchen and shot my mom a panicked look. She gave me a thumbs up, assuring me it was safe for them to walk in the living room without spotting a familiar head of pink hair.

                Truth was, Byunghun wasn’t the only secret I was hiding from them. Neither of them knew Andy of Shinhwa was my uncle. I couldn’t tell them, though. I just couldn’t. Especially because they both knew about Teen Top and both of them were big fans. If they knew my uncle was the one who created Teen Top, everyone would know. Kyusoon wasn’t the best at keeping secrets, especially not when they were this interesting and vital to a person’s well being—well, maybe not my well-being, but my reputation. Everyone at school would know Andy was my uncle and I was afraid of what people would say. Would they think I’m stuck up? Would they think I was lying?

                I led them through the living room, sneaking a glance behind the couch, where I knew Byunghun was hiding. Out of the corner of my eye I saw him look at me but I didn’t dare look at him. We quickly bounced up the stairs and into my room. I grabbed the skirt from my closet and we headed out. By the time we reached the staircase, Byunghun was out of the living room. I waved my friends off, and closed the door behind me. I let out a sigh of relief. “That was a close one,” I breathed.

                “No kidding!” Byunghun popped out from behind the kitchen island. “I need an official hiding spot.”

                I laughed. “How about the bathroom? Stay in the shower. No one will know you’re there.”

                Byunghun laughed his dorky laugh, his eyes turning into the little arches I love so much.  He slung a hand around my waist and suddenly there was another knock at the door.

                “Stay behind the island!” my mom suggested. Byunghun followed orders and I dove for the door again.

                This time, Kyusoon and Minah weren’t at the door; Hyerin and Min Neul were.

                “Hi,” I greeted them.

                “Hi,” Hyerin smiled shyly. “I know we just met, but, my mom’s in the middle of making dinner and she needs more flour. Mind if we borrow a cup?” She held up a measuring cup.

                “Of course you can! Come in,” I smiled, stepping aside and letting them in. I silently begged Byunghun, Hyerin and Min Neul to stay on their respective sides of the countertop. “Mom, this is Hyrein and this is Min Neul. They moved in next door today.”

                My mom smiled cordially. “Girls, nice to meet you! I’m Mrs. Lee, Kirin’s mom; now what did you need?”

                “Just a cup of flour,” Min Neul said sweetly.

                “Please,” Hyerin added, looking at Min Neul.

                “No problem.” Mom took the measuring cup from Hyerin and scooped a cup of flour. After my mom promised to meet their parents and have the family over for dinner soon, Hyerin and Min Neul were on their way out. The second I closed the front door, Byunghun sprang up.

                “Kirin! That girl!” he cried.

                “What girl?”

                “That girl Hyerin! That was her! Don’t you remember?”

                “Remember what?” I asked.

                “She doesn’t look familiar? She’s the girl C.A.P dated on M-Net Scandal!” Byunghun’s eyes were wide and a smile was on his lips.

                I stared at him. “No, that can’t be her.” I took a seat on the barstool again.

                “Kirin, yes, that’s her. It has to be her! I remember exactly what she looked like. She had the bangs and everything! That has to be her! C.A.P wouldn’t stop talking about her for weeks after filming for that ended. Remember I was with Hanbich and she was horrible and C.A.P-hyung was with Hyerin and she was a sweetheart?”

                I laughed at that. I remember watching that show, disgusted in the way Hanbich had treated someone as sweet as L.Joe—calling other boys in front of him, showing him off to her friends—it just made me furious. Especially because at that point, I was sure about my crush on him and hoped to God he wouldn’t actually fall for her. “Yes, I do…but wait, what about C.A.P?” I asked, holding my hands up.

                “He couldn’t stop talking about her for weeks,” Byunghun replied, shaking his head slowly. “I think he really did like her—”

                At that moment, my eyes grew twice their size. C.A.P had really liked Hyerin?

                “—and he was so upset that he would never see her again, and he lost her phone number and stuff—”

                “She’s my neighbor!” I cried. “Byunghun, she’s my neighbor! She’s going to my school! She’s probably going to be one of my friends!” I paused, the possibilities of the future flashing in my mind like a strobe light. C.A.P and Hyerin could meet again. They could date for real this time. And finally, I could tell someone about Byunghun. And she would be in the same position I was, a normal girl dating a not-so-normal boy. We’d live practically the same life! She’d practically become my twin!

                My goal became clear at that moment.

                “Byunghun, we gotta get them to meet again!”

                “C.A.P would love that!” Byunghun’s eyes were bright and his tone was optimistic. Suddenly, his face fell. “But how?”

                “Easy; once I become friends with Hyerin I’ll invite her over and C.A.P can come over, and BAM! They’ll be together again!” I threw my hands in the air, feeling like Cupid. Who needed a diaper and a bow and arrows anyway?

                “What if she has a boyfriend though?” Byunghun suggested. “Or she forgot about him.”

                I gave him a look. “Do you really think someone could forget dating C.A.P?

Byunghun chuckled and shrugged. “Hey, I don’t know, I’m just saying it might not be as easy as you think. What if she doesn’t believe you?”

                I shrugged. “That’s just a chance she’ll just have to take.”

 

                When you date a celebrity, there aren’t a lot of places to go on dates. Dates are practically an improbability; someone could recognize your date. And all your date needs is one photograph of him and you together at a restaurant or holding hands in the park and the Hallyu world would be in chaos. In L.Joe’s case, Andromedas would surely freak out. Think of the shock that hit the Shawols when it was revealed Kim Jonghyun was dating! Now, Jonghyun was more popular than L.Joe, but there had to be some diehard L.Jjangs out there that would be furious. Or depressed. Or maybe they’d jump for joy. I didn’t know, and L.Joe would rather not find out.

                So, this date consisted of four pizza boxes, two cheese and two pepperoni and sausage, five liters of Mountain Dew, and a couch in Teen Top’s “apartment” in the TOP office building.

                Oh, and, five other boys.

                Changhyun and Daniel were sitting on cushions on the floor, playing a racing game. Chanhee, Minsoo, and Jonghyun were on one couch, Byunghun and I on the other. The couches were set up perpendicular to each other, forming an L. Byunghun was lying at one end, and I was lying the opposite way. Naturally, Jonghyun had taken the seat on the other couch that was closest to me. He was quiet, as usual, and would sneak small glances at me every now and then, as usual. Sometimes I caught him, and he’d quickly shift his eyes away, pretending he had been looking at the television screen the entire time.

                “I bet Ricky’s going to win,” Chanhee challenged.

                 “I bet Niel’s going to win,” Minsoo waged, crossing his arms.

                 “You want to make a bet?” Chanhee held out his hand.

                Minsoo smirked and shook it firmly. “Deal!”

                “What should we bet?” Chanhee asked.

                “Whoever wins has to buy Ricky ice cream!” Changhyun cried childishly without taking his eyes off the screen.

                “Nice try,” Minsoo chuckled.  “But, really. What do you want to bet?”

                “How about whoever loses can’t use his voice for the rest of the night?” Jonghyun spoke up quietly.

                “That’s a good idea,” Byunghun replied. He shoved the last bit of pizza crust in his mouth, managing to somehow get crumbs on his cheek. I smiled and sat up, leaning over to wipe his cheek for him.

                He smiled in response. “Thanks,” he chuckled.

                “No problem,” I answered sweetly, leaning back on the armrest. I turned my attention back to game on the television screen. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Jonghyun’s head slowly turn away, his eyes cast downward. He pretended to be busy looking at his fingernails.

                I was far sadder for Jonghyun than I was flattered by him. It absolutely killed me to know that he felt that way about me, and yet everyday he was forced to see Byunghun and I happy together. I knew he talked about me. I knew they all did. And it killed me every time I got Byunghun away from the boys, because I know before he left he’d call over his shoulder, “Going to Kirin’s. See you guys later!” and leave Jonghyun behind, wishing yet again they could switch lives. It wasn’t flattering knowing someone liked you that way; it was horrible.

                My wandering mind was brought back to reality when Changhyun and Chanhee shouted in victory and Daniel and Minsoo groaned in defeat.

                “HAH!” Chanhee shouted happily, pointing an accusatory finger at Minsoo. “You’re not allowed to talk for the rest of the night!”

                “Nooooo!” Minsoo whined, covering his humiliation with his hands.

                “Not another word, hyung!” Byunghun cried, laughing.

                Minsoo groaned one more time, then pretended to zip his lips closed. He tossed an imaginary key at Chanhee, glaring at him playfully. Daniel and Changhyun had already started their rematch.

                Suddenly Byunghun pressed his foot into my ribs, gaining my attention. “Think we should tell Minsoo?” he hissed quietly.

                “About…” I trailed off.

                Byunghun nodded.

                “But now he can’t talk!” I hissed back.

                “What are you two whispering about?” Chanhee asked, a smirk on his face.

                “Nothing,” I answered quickly, but Byunghun was even quicker to respond.

                “We, uh, have some news!” he exclaimed.

                Daniel and Changhyun turned around. All eyes were officially on us.

                I raised an eyebrow.

                “Are you getting married, hyung!?” Daniel questioned.

                Everyone burst out laughing, I included. I thought Jonghyun was going to hit the roof. “WHAT?!” he cried, the only one not laughing.

                “What? No!” Byunghun threw his hands up. “Wha…I’m eighteen!”

                “Well, you said big news!” Daniel was shaking with laughter.

                “Well…not that big!” Byunghun was blushing now. He looked adorable all flustered like this. I leaned forward and planted a kiss on his red cheek. “You know what? You tell them, Ki.”

                When the laughter died down, I cleared my throat and began. “Um, alright, well…C.A.P, I have something to tell you. I know you can’t talk, so just listen.”

                He leaned forward, eyeing Chanhee for not being able to speak.

                “Alright, well, the house next door has been for sale for a while. And finally, a family moved in. I met the family today, and…” I looked at Byunghun for support on how to continue, but ne nodded me along instead. “Um, Minsoo, do you…do you remember Hyerin?”

                I watched as Minsoo’s little eyes slowly grew. His eyebrows were halfway up his forehead and his mouth opened, but Chanhee shook his head with a smiling face, stopping him. He nodded slowly, then vigorously.

                “Hyerin the girl he dated on M-Next Scandal?!?” Jonghyun cried. Everyone gasped.

                “Yeah.” I nodded. “That Hyerin.”

                “Screw you, Chanhee!” Minsoo cried. He pulled his knees up to his chest and looked at me with wide eyes. “Kirin, what are you talking about?”

                “Hyerin lives next door to me!” I cried. “She moved! She’s my neighbor now!”

                “Hyung, you could meet her again!” Byunghun cried.

                “I…I…” Minsoo sat back. “I can’t. She probably doesn’t remember me, anyway.”

                Everyone was silent for a moment. “Oppa,” I said softly, thoughtfully. “Did you really like her?”

                Minsoo was still silent. He looked down at his hands and bit his lip. “I don’t know. I know we only dated on that show, and it wasn’t real. But…but…” he sighed. “I don’t know. I think I could, if I got to date her for real. But I doubt she remembers me. That was months ago.”

                “Months, not years,” Daniel pointed out.

                “Oppa, what do you have to lose?” I encouraged. “I’m sure she still remembers you. How could anyone forget you?              She was so sweet to you, and you were to her—”

                “—And you know you couldn’t stop talking about her for weeks after filming ended,” Byunghun added. “Hyung, you liked her. You know you did, I can tell! I know how you act when you like a girl,” he smiled shyly at me, which literally made my heart flutter. “And you acted that way. This is your chance, hyung! You can meet her again!”

                Everyone started talking all at once. Everyone was crowding around Minsoo, encouraging him to meet Hyerin again and take this chance while he still had it.

                Minsoo was getting overwhelmed. “Alright, alright!” he cried, holding up his hands to the crowd around him. Everyone fell silent. He sighed. “How soon could we meet?”

                “I don’t know,” I admitted. “I don’t know her that well yet. And I don’t know if she’ll believe me that I know you and can set you up again…but give me a few days and I promise you’ll see her again.” I stuck out my hand. “Now, we do have a deal?”

                Minsoo looked skeptically at my hand, then at my face, then back at my hand.

                “Do it, hyung!” Chanhee cried.

                “Yeah, do it!” Byunghun added.

                “Shake her hand, shake her hand, shake her hand!” the dongsaengs chanted.

                Minsoo narrowed his eyebrows, and grasped my hand firmly. “For the second time today, deal.”

- - - - - -

                :O SHOCKING!!!! Is this really the same Hyerin? Will Kirin confess that she knows Teen Top? Will Hyerin still remember C.A.P? Stay tuned!

                My dear subscribers, do you know what you should all do? Read my friend's fanfic: This Side of Seoul by tintap. IT'S AMAZING! GO READ IT! NOW!~