Eye of the Storm

A Fire in My Heart

After an overnight stay in the hospital, Taeyeon and Krystal helped take Jessica home. Krystal had felt so guilty for turning off her phone while she was on her date with Amber the other day so she didn’t find out Jessica was in the hospital till she came home late that night. Jessica tried to make Krystal feel less guilty by telling her that it was fine since Taeyeon was there.

Taeyeon tucked Jessica into her bed, “How does that feel? Need anything?” Jessica smiled at her girlfriend and puckered her lips. Taeyeon laughed at the cute gesture while leaning down to give Jessica a loving kiss. “Anything else?”

“Can I start sleeping in your room from now on?”

Taeyeon was surprised Jessica wanted to take that step already, “tired of Krystal already?” Taeyeon tried to approach the question jokingly.

Jessica closed her eyes and rolled to her side, away from Taeyeon, “If you’re not ready...”

Taeyeon placed her hand on Jessica’s shoulder so the girl would face her again, “It isn’t that, but why are you asking this suddenly?”

“I feel safe with you. Your arms are what gives me comfort.”

Taeyeon had a feeling Jessica was frightened after getting injured. She climbed into the bed and placed her arms around Jessica, “Are you still scared?”

Jessica gave a sigh of relief when she felt Taeyeon snuggle closer to her, “I just feel uneasy, but you being close calms my heart.”

Taeyeon smiled like Jessica gave her a second confession, “I like knowing you are safe too.”

 

**Ring ring**

~silence~

**Ring ring**

Taeyeon opened her eyes to Jessica’s phone ringing like crazy. She leaned over to Jessica and shoved her gently, trying not to hurt her in the places that hit the rocks, “Sicaaa...your phone.”

Jessica just waved her hand to let it go to voicemail. Taeyeon looked at the phone to see if she recognized the number and it was the police station so she shoved Jessica again, “Sica you have to take this, wake up.”

Jessica took the phone to her ear without opening her eyes or getting up, “Helllooo?”

“Ms. Jessica Jung?”

“Speaking...”

“This is the *** Police station, we went over your statement at the hospital and we need you to come in for identification purposes.”

“Okay...”

“Can you come at 3pm?”

“Fine...” Jessica hung up the phone and went to sleep again.

Taeyeon looked at Jessica curiously, “What did they want? Did they find out what who pushed you?”

Jessica rolled over and wrapped her arms around Taeyeon’s slim waist, “Mmm, I have to go later. Sleep.”

Taeyeon smiled at her cute girlfriend, “Humm. Sweet dreams.”

Another hour passed before the girls were finally up and eating breakfast.

“When do you have to leave?”

“Not till after lunch.”

“Should I come with you?”

“If you want.”

“Do you want me to?”

Jessica finally looked up at Taeyeon, “I can go alone. I don’t want you to skip out on school because of me. It is fine.”

Taeyeon looked at her with worry, but she knew that she would be of no help if she went with Jessica anyway. “Okay, I will see you at home after you are done with that.”

Jessica started putting her dishes in the sink, “I promise to come back after.”

 

-------------------------

 

Jessica was sitting with the fisherman at the police office trying to identify the brand of bike that pushed Jessica but they were getting nowhere. Neither remembered much about the incident. “I am sorry to say that we have really no leads. We tried checking CCTV but there wasn’t one set up in that area. We will have to just close the case.”

Jessica sighed in defeat, “I understand.”

Jessica and the fisherman left the police station together, “How are you feeling?”

“A bit disappointed...it felt intentional.”

The fisherman laughed at Jessica, “I mean your body. Are you healing fine?”

“Oh yea. It doesn’t hurt much.”

“That is a relief. Did you want a ride back?”

Jessica didn’t feel comfortable traveling alone with an older male so she declined, stating the bus station was close by.

It was a ten minute walk to the bus stop Jessica needed. She was walking slowly while shuffling her feet, feeling the ghost of the hand that pushed her back. It was haunting her at random times like someone was always pushing her into danger.

“Jessica!” It was a familiar voice that made Jessica tense up.

“Yuri? What are you doing at this side of town?”

“Am I not allowed in the areas where the common people are now?”

“No...just you stay in the nicer areas.” Jessica looked down and mumbled, “because you have money.”

Yuri caught what Jessica said, “there is a good pastry shop I was going to. Do you want to keep me company?”

All of Jessica’s intuition said don’t go but she agreed nonetheless.

 

Yuri ordered cakes and tea for Jessica. Jessica blushed when she heard Yuri order all her favorite sweets. It reminded her of how well they used to know each other. Almost like this was a real date and they never broke up.

“How have you been?”

Jessica looked into Yuri’s eyes when she started talking, “I have been good.”

“I heard you are going out with Taeyeon...”

Jessica felt a pain in her heart, like she didn’t want Yuri to know about her and Taeyeon, “Ah yea.”

“Does she treat you ah umm...well?”

Jessica smiled when she saw the familiar loving and caring Yuri she fell for the first time, “She does.”

“Better than me?” Yuri looked down and played with her silverware.

“I’d rather not compare you two. You both have your qualities that make you, you.”

Silence came across their table until the desserts arrived, “Wow this place is good.”

Jessica laughed when she saw Yuri eating what she ordered so fast, “Slow down or you will get a headache from all the sugar.”

Yuri smiled when she heard Jessica remember the small things about her and that she still cared, “Jessica...I miss you.”

Jessica felt uneasy about how to answer. She couldn’t lie that her heart hadn’t completely moved on but she didn’t want to ruin what she had with Taeyeon. Taeyeon was the only person that made her feel safe and that is what she wanted, but Yuri did hold onto part of her heart still. “I don’t know what to say.”

“Say you haven’t forgotten about me...I don’t want to be just a memory.”

“I still remember....you are not easily forgotten.”

“Is the option to still be your friend open? I don’t want to be out of your life completely.” Yuri was trying to identify what Jessica was thinking in her eyes. She could see that Jessica hasn’t moved on yet. Maybe there would still be hope to get her back if she started from the beginning again. She can always remind Jessica of what they used to have and they hold a special connection of similar memories.

“It might not be a good idea...”

“Please Jessica. I am not asking for more than just friendship. You were the person I trusted the most in the past. Something like that is hard to replace.”

Jessica sighed and wondered if this should be the right decision or not, “Okay...friends. But nothing more than that! I like Taeyeon now.”

Yuri stood up and gave Jessica a quick hug, “Thank you!”

 

---------------------------

 

Taeyeon looked up to the clock on the wall and saw it was almost 7pm. She waited patiently for Jessica to return but every time she thought about it, identification stuff shouldn’t take 4 hours, maybe an hour at most. Taeyeon tried calling Jessica twice but the girl didn’t pick up; unknown to her that Jessica’s phone was still on silent.

Another half hour passed making Taeyeon increasingly worried. She had enough waiting so she decided to head towards the police station to see if something happened to Jessica on her way back home.