Traditional music

Late at night

Traditional music was in the end the thing that had made them friends or better initiated their friendship. Yongguk had never been a very sociable person and when he had first met Himchan he had not given any special attention to him. He could not see anything special about him except for the talent to be constantly talking to everyone about everything. He could not see why the company had given him a place in their trainee program. Himchan was clearly not the best dancer not that Yongguk was the best person to judge but Himchan always seemed to be the first person that got tiered while practicing nor was Himchan the best singer. Himchan's voice was deep and unique but in no way stable and variable. And as he had heard the rumors floating around that Himchan was accepted without even having a proper addition just because of his looks which Yongguk had to admit where quite nice to look at, he had distanced himself from Himchan even more because he had lost his respect for him. To get a place in the company just because of once seemed to degrade everyone who trained for years just to get this chance. Himchan did not seem to have the same opinion because he had tried to talk to Yongguk and when he looked back now Himchan had never been unfriendly or cold towards him even if he had been reserved and distant. It was after some weeks that he had walked past one of the practice rooms and thought he might have heard the sound of a traditional drum. This kind of music was so out of place that he decided to look who was listening to such kind of music and he had totally not expected to see someone actually play a janggu. He had looked into the dimly lit practice room and saw someone wearing a big dark hoody bent over the instrument. It had been really late at night and it was strange that one of the trainees was still here. As he carefully walked closer he had noticed that it was Himchan. He was sitting in the middle of the room his longish brown hair falling over his eyes that appeared to be closed as his hands rushed from one side to another gracefully to coax a melodic sound from the janggu. Yongguk was no expert in traditional Korean music but he knew enough about music to understand that it took quite some skill to play like Himchan was playing and he could nothing that stand there and listen and stare. And as he had watched Himchan he got even more surprised with what kind of facility he was playing. He had been so into the music that he had been disappointed when Himchan ended his play. He had just decided to walk away before Himchan would notice him standing there as he had seen that Himchan was taking a traditional flute out of case and started to play on this one instead. What he had seen was so contrarious to the image he had of Himchan at that time that he did not know what to make out of it but Yongguk had finally admitted to himself that he might have underestimated Himchan and that maybe it was worth getting to know the other.

“Do you think it’s good enough? I hadn’t much time to practice, I wish I had more time,” Himchan was saying as he finished playing the song. Every time when he saw Himchan play Yongguk mind always wanders back to the time when he had seen Himchan play for the first time. Even if Himchan was different from him in every aspect of his character he shared what was most important for both of them, their passion for music. And he could not hide a proud smile as he watched Himchan practice the song once again. He still felt bad because he had judged Himchan before he even got to know him and he always wanted to be a person that was exactly the opposite of that and the only thing to compensate for that was to make sure Himchan knew how much he valued him as a part of B.A.P and as a person in general.

“It was more than just good. I bet they’ll love it,” he tried to reassure them.

“But it’s Star King, Yongguk,” he said looking distressed. Himchan had been practicing whenever he had found time to practice and he still thought he was lacking.

“I know, and you’ll do great,” he told him, because reassuring him was the only thing he could do right now. Himchan wanted to start playing again as their manager came into the room with a package in his hand.

“Here, try it on and tell me if it fits,” he told Himchan. Yongguk noticed a few messages on his phone so he was checking them while Himchan changed his close. As he looked up again he saw that Himchan was wearing traditional clothing. He had no idea that Himchan would be wearing something like that for his appearance on Star King and he had never seen him wearing something like this before. Himchan had shown him some photographs of school appearances but it was different than seeing Himchan right in front of him with his red and golden embroidered clothing. He sat down in front of the janggu again apparently totally unaware of Yongguk’s starring because Yongguk was quite sure he was doing exactly that right now and as he saw Himchan playing looking like a prince out of a Korean drama he could swear he had never seen Himchan looking more handsome than at this particular moment.