Pretty Hands

Late at night

Pretty hands was definitely something that Himchan did not have or that’s what he thought as he rubbed them with some expensive hand lotion that he had recently bought in hope they would get softer and smoother. Himchan’s hands rough from years of excessive practice in various instruments. He had never really thought about his hands. He constantly took care of his face and tried to get a skinny body by dieting whenever he gained a few pounds again but that someone would like pretty hands was something that never touched his thoughts. And nowadays his hands were not only rough his right hand was also cicatrized. He had bought some cream that apparently let scars disappear, too but he couldn’t see any difference. He thought about Yongguk’s hands that were slim and soft. Even there fans had noticed his nice hands and had even posted pictures of them calling them noona hands. Himchan was always interested in what the fans liked. The others found his behavior excessive but to him their fans were important.

"What are you doing?" Jong Up asked as they went into the room.

"Creaming my hands," he answered.

"What for?"

"To make them pretty."

"But they are pretty."

"No, they are rough from all the years of practicing."

"That's what makes them pretty, because they show that you worked hard."

It was one of the reasons why Himchan liked being around Jong Up, he had his own view of the world and no one seemed to be able to change it. He did not care about what society was trying to teach him. Himchan always thought it impossible. He had been an overweight teenager, he had seen the stares and heard the whispers and he thought everybody was the same, but Jong Up did not care if a person was fat or slim, tall or small as long as he could have fun with them. He sometimes wished he could be a little more like Jong Up but with being the face of the group he was constantly reminded that society cared a lot more about looks than necessary.

"Have you eaten yet?" he asked Jong Up.

"No, I thing no one has had something yet."

"Seems like I have to make something. Let's take a look what’s in the fridge."

He walked over to the kitchen and started with cutting some vegetables since he always tried to make it healthy and not too high in calories. Most of the time the members were to hungry to complain about it anyway, with one exception named Bang Yongguk who would forget to eat something if Himchan wouldn’t remind him to. It was a mystery to Himchan how someone could not feel hungry at all and it would always stay one because Himchan was just the type of person who could eat all day long. His was lost in his thoughts for a moment that he didn’t concentrate in cutting and suddenly felt a stinging pain in his left finger. As he looked down he already saw the blood dripping out of the wound.

“Ah! Great, just great!” he said frustrated.

“Himchan hyung, everything alright?” he heard Youngjae asking from somewhere as he rushed to the sink to rinse his cut with water.

“Yes, everything’s fine,” he shouted back.

He thought about where some Band-Aids where but he could not remember seeing any. He groaned in frustration because even if the cut was really small it just wouldn’t stop bleeding. All of a sudden he felt ha hand on his shoulder and startled.

“What’s wrong?” a deep voice behind him asked.

“Nothing.”

“There’s blood in the sink, I don’t think that’s nothing,” Yongguk said.

“I just cut myself,” he responded.

Yongguk disappeared for a moment and came back with a package of Band-Aid.

“Let’s patch up this pretty hand of yours,” he said and took Himchan’s left hand into his and but a Band-Aid on the cut.

“It’s not pretty,” Himchan said with sulking voice.

“It’s just a small cut, you don’t even see it.”

“You don’t understand.”

“What’s wrong now?”

“It’s not important,” Himchan almost mumbled.

“It’s important because it’s been ruining your mood the whole day long already,” Yongguk remarked.

“It’s not because of the cut, I mean in general.”

“They are fine enough,” Yongguk said shaking his head.

“But they should be pretty.”

“Seriously, Himchan? Why are pretty hands suddenly so important?”

“They are important for you.”

Yongguk started to laugh showing his white teeth and gums.

“You can be so stupid sometimes. It’s what I said in the interview, right?”

“You said you liked someone with pretty hands.”

“Because I was expected to say something decent. What should I say that I like someone with a nice ?” Yongguk asked and Himchan felt the touch of a hand on his behind.

“So you lied?” Himchan asked.

“No, I didn’t. I like pretty hands.”

“Thanks for ruining my mood again.”

“Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.”

“Don’t start with this stuff now.”

“And it’s not about how they look but how they touch. Their touch is what makes this hands pretty."