Empty head (DH)

The Flared Up Demons

I was sitting in class it was already Wednesday but I was still out of my pace. My mind was filled with Hyukjae and also with Eunhyuk. I was confused, if I should be scared of the boy or embrace him instead. It´s been a while since the incident in Hyukjae´s house but I couldn´t forget how desperate he looked when he heard the voices in his head and how fragile he was with his hands all bandaged. But what I couldn´t forget the most was the smile he gave me before we went to sleep. One would say, that it looked funny or maybe even ugly but I believe that it was the most charming smile I´ve ever seen. It must be true that the most beautiful smile comes from the people, who don´t laugh often because it´s the most genuine. Hyukjae felt happy for once and I felt desperate to make him smile again. It might be impossible, though. After the weekend we spent together, Hyukjae came to school in a pretty bad shape on Monday. Eunhyuk´s revenge as he said.

"Lee Donghae! Are you listening?" The teacher woke me up from my thoughts.

"No, I´m not," I answered rudely and stood up. I took my things and escaped the classroom, ignoring my teacher who after waking up from his shock started yelling at me. I wasn´t in a good mood today. Hyukjae seems especially tired this week and I don´t know what to do to help him out with this Eunyhuk guy. My math teacher is the last person I´m worried about now. Kyuhyun will help me with the final test so why bother dealing with the old man?

I was strolling through the school backyard when my phone beeped, signalling a message. I pulled the device out of my pocket slowly but raised an eyebrow seeing the name on the display.

Sugar addicted weirdo: If you keep skipping school, you´ll stay dumb...

What?! Who is he calling dumb! I snapped my head towards the school and surely there in the second floor in one of the classroom windows, a bored red head was watching me with a smirk on his face and leaning against his hand. The almond eyes showed amusement which contrasted with his pale tired face. I gave him an angry look amended with a big pout. Hyukjae snorted and I saw him check, if the teacher noticed him slacking off. Then he turned back to the window and stuck out his long tongue. It was my turn to laugh and that´s how our little game began.

I would do silly little dances or strange poses while Hyukjae would counter me with his funny faces. But it seemed that he apparently wasn´t discreet enough because I saw him get up abruptly and bow to the teacher who was scolding him. I know it´s not nice but I couldn´t help it and fell down laughing. It´s just too funny to be caught by your teacher while doing funny expressions out of the window. I was wiping the last of the tears, that went running down my cheeks from all the laughing I did, when another message came.

Sugar addicted weirdo: Not funny =_=

And so I fell on the ground in a fit of laughter for the second time, sometimes glancing at the pouting figure in the window. Hyukjae decided to ignore me, not turning his head towards me for the rest of the period.

When the bell rang, I was already waiting in front of Hyukjae´s classroom. I was leaning against the wall, waiting for the red head to show up. Hyukjae was surprised to see me but immediately remembered his humiliation and pretended to not know me. I smiled seeing him still pouting with those red plump lips like a baby and ran after him.

"Hey, Hyuk! Wait!" No answer came from the red head that was on his way towards the science lab.

"C´mon, I´m sorry, see?" I said and pulled a pink heavy box from my pants´ pocket. Hyukjae abruptly stopped and was hypnotising the pink miracle, which turned out to be a strawberry milk. His expression faltered and he bit his lower lip in an already lost fight. Then he just sighed and took the box from my hand.

"Thanks," he murmured already tugging onto the straw. Cute.

"You didn´t get any additional homework or something, right?" I asked feeling a bit guilty for the accident earlier. But Hyukjae just shook his head in denial and kept the pink stuff that didn´t look very appealing to me. The skinny boy seemed delighted, though, so I just smiled and decided to always keep some strawberry milks in my locker in case of need.

"But really, you shouldn´t skip classes so much," Hyukjae muttered leaving the straw for a bit.

"It´s boring and I don´t like it. I´ll pass so what," I answered him slightly annoyed. Hyukjae stopped and turned to me.

"How will you pass?" He asked me curiously. . I said too much. Well, it´s not like Hyukjae would tell anyone so what. Hyukjae doesn´t talk to anyone.

"Kyuhyun helps me out?" I tried to shoo the topic off leisurely but Hyukjae didn´t buy it as he looked at me with his best ´are you kidding me´ expression. So I decided to spill the beans. "Kyuhyun would get the test. Don´t ask me how, he´s the hacker here. And then he would fill in the answers for me. I would learn about half of them so it wouldn´t be too obvious that I become suddenly a genius and pass the test. It´s similar in other subjects too just that the blanks are filled either by Yesung or Ryeowook. That´s why I´m still attending the school even though I skip most of the time," I shrugged.

"That´s wrong," Hyukjae said dejected, "I thought you were smarter," he then added and we continued our walk in silence. Why do I feel suddenly ashamed? It´s not like it had ever bothered me then why now? Is it because Hyukjae is the top student? I wouldn´t want to be that either. My mood went down once again.

When we arrived in front of the science lab, I was about to bid Hyukjae good bye when he stopped me. I watched him debate with himself for a while before he took a deep breath and finally asked me.

"Want me to teach you?" His head was bowed and his fingers clasped together. He was embarrassed and probably blaming himself for making such a stupid offer. I was so fascinated by his nervous figure that I didn't even answer to his question. "Forget it," Hyukjae then murmured and disappeared behind the doors of the lab. Is he angry?

Fishead: If you make me study, I won´t cheat on the finals.

Sugar addicted weirdo: Even if you don´t study, I still won´t let you cheat on the finals.

Creepy. I better try studying some this time. And it might not be such a pain if I have Hyukjae as my teacher. I smiled at the thought.

 

___________________________

 

We decided to meet in the afternoon the following day. I made Hyukjae come to my house because his home gave off really cold feeling and also there was a monster lurking around. I asked my mom to make something delicious and she totally agreed with me that Hyuk should put on some fat. I just hope, I won´t have him bent over the toilet again.

The doorbell rang and before I could reach the door, my sisters already had Hyukjae in their claws. Amber was asking one question after another and Yuri kept touching his face and hair. The poor boy looked like he was about to cry and I hurried to get him out of there as soon as possible.

"Yah! He´s not a toy, get out!" I pushed girls away and snatched Hyukjae´s hand. The red head only quietly apologised before he was pulled into my room. I closed the door behind us and we both sighed. Saved. Everyone in this house wants a piece of my Hyukjae, but the competition is weak against me!

"So let´s start!" I said happily and went to my desk which was covered with bunch of my things. I threw them unceremoniously on the ground, saving only the English book which would be needed.

"Fine, first do the first test at the back of the book so I know how bad you are," Hyukjae came closer to me and shown me the page.

"You wanted to say, how good I was not bad," I countered. But only a weak ´hmm´ was his answer and I knew that I have no other choice but to listen to him. So I took a pencil and started filling into the blanks. Has English always been so hard?

I was fighting with the third question when I heard some ruckus. I the chair just in time to see Hyukjae tiptoeing and trying to place the pillows on the wardrobe. He looked funny but I knew better than to laugh at him right now so I once again tried to focus on the English letters in front of me. About an hour passed until I had finished all the questions. I was proud of myself. My first completed test!

"Hyuk-," I called but stopped myself in the middle. My room was perfectly cleaned! Even better than the last time Hyukjae visited my house. All the books, clothes and other stuff disappeared from the ground and my bed, to be put on their rightful places. The only thing that stayed was my long bathrobe that was covering the mirror in the corner. I should have done that even before Hyukjae had arrived, ugh.

"I thought it would be worse," Hyukjae murmured. I yelped and held my violently beating heart. , what a scare! Since when has he been standing next to me? While I was pulling back my soul that almost escaped, Hyuk kept checking the answers sometimes murmuring something to himself or shaking his head.

"So?" I asked proudly. It must be really great since Hyukjae is surprised.

"You have three out of twenty answers right," he then said. My smile vanished. That´s honestly embarrassing. I cleared my throat and looked away to keep the rest of my dignity while the red head was thinking hard.

"It´s not the best result but I still believe that you´re not a lost case. Let´s make it fifteen right answers by the end of the month," Hyuk said confident and my deflated ego swelled again.

"Yes! I can make it!" I burst with enthusiasm. And Hyukjae grinned. Oh my God, again he pulled that crazy smile! Now, I won´t be able to learn anything anymore today!!!

But I did nevertheless. I didn´t want to disappoint Hyukjae. I wanted him to visit me every day after school and wanted to eat dinner with him after we studied for a few hours. My mom and dad became Hyukjae´s fans soon too and after Jonghyun blabbered his name for the first time, I knew that the red head became simply a part of my family. Although I still didn´t understand a thing about the boy, I was sure that I understood him the most out of all the people around him. Because Hyuk didn´t have any people around him. He only had one ugly monster following his every step. And I would make sure that once the monster is gone from his life, I would be the one to fill the empty spot it leaves. Hyukjae deserves to be freed and although I´m not really worth his presence I will do anything to stick to the skinny red head.

 

______________________

 

A month has passed like a water through the tap and I was able to answer sixteen questions out of twenty right. I was proud of myself and the smile didn´t leave my face. Hyukjae was pretty hard on me through the whole month, making me study everyday even during the weekend! I had to answer whenever he asked me a random question and all his messages were in English. And although I was already tired of it and wanted to be annoying just to make him suffer, I held myself back. And now when I see the results of our work, I feel like my decision was right.

"I´m buying the dinner today. It´s your reward for studying so hard," Hyukjae told me on Friday and I gladly agreed. I had to tell my gang that I won´t be coming to the party today. They weren´t very pleased but I didn´t care because Hyukjae was more important right now.

We met in the park at seven and I asked Hyukjae to buy me tacos, which he agreed to do. We entered the place after about twenty minutes of walking and while Hyukjae went to order, I took my time to check the boy out. His long skinny legs were clad in tight black jeans, held by a simple silver belt so they wouldn´t fall off of his slim hips. Going up from his cute my eyes focused on the broad and muscled but still lean back, clothed into a black sweater decorated with white stars. His white neck was tinted only by a few strands of red hair that were poking out from under the black beanie my friend was wearing. His clothes were simple but even like that he stood out. I noticed a few customers check him out just the way I did a second ago and suddenly I felt grumpy. We should have gone somewhere quieter where wouldn´t be so many oglers!

My thoughts were interrupted when Hyukjae arrived to the table with a plate filled with various foods and two drinks. I felt suddenly hungry seeing my favourite snacks on the plate. Soon we were both eating and chatting about random stuff. That´s another new thing. Since Hyukjae started frequenting my house, his appetite became better. He´s able to eat the whole course now, if it´s smaller and if you promise to give him something sweet afterwards, that is.

"So I guessed right that you would be out with the freak, Donghae, how disappointing" a rude voice made me look up from my plate. Yesung and the rest of the guys were standing around our table. Hyukjae put on his solemn, poker-faced mode in which he was immune against all outside influences. I on the other hand wasn´t immune and raised my voice at Yesung.

"I´m out with Hyukjae not freak and how you feel about it is not my problem. Now get out of here before I get mad," I growled at him.

"We came to eat something before the party but I don´t feel like eating anymore. The skeleton over there makes my stomach churn," this time Kangin spoke up and pushed Hyukjae with his fingers as if he was the most disgusting thing.

"What?! How dare you talk about him like that fatso, huh? Good you aren´t hungry anymore, at least you´ll lose some weight!"

I couldn´t hold back my anger. I was wrong, not them. I taught them to be like this, I told them to be rude and to hate what they don´t understand. I was the one who made them follow me and have fun by hurting others. Yes, it was fun before I realised that people hurt by them, by us, by me, might become important. Like Lee Hyukjae. I told them he was a scary freak, who deserved to be punished for his stubbornness and for not submitting to us. Now I have to face the consequences of my previous behaviour. I have to abandon my old habits to protect the boy that is on the verge of breaking down.

"But Donghae, he´s a monster. Why are you with him and forgetting about us, your family?" Ryeowook said and I could tell that he didn´t really mean harm, that he´s just confused. But I also noticed Hyukjae flinch when he was called a ´monster´. My heart clenched. Hyukjae told me a few days ago, that Eunhyuk looked just like Hyukjae himself except for his silver skin and black eyes and teeth. Eunhyuk is a monster but Hyukjae feels like one. I have to act quickly. Kangin was about to launch either on me or Hyukjae and I couldn´t afford that.

"Hyuk, thanks for the meal. Let´s meet tomorrow, okay?" I forced a smile and stood up. Hyukjae looked hurt and confused but I didn´t have any other choice. I´ll go with them myself and explain to them, that the red head is a nice guy and that I want to study this time. But I need Hyukjae to stay away in case something went wrong.

The guys took it as my surrender and laughed at Hyukjae before leading the way out of the restaurant. I squeezed Hyuk´s shoulder in an attempt to calm him down and then went after my gang, leaving the red head alone and abandoned.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

__________________________________

Thanks for reading. :) Two chapters to the end.

Suju jjang! Lee Sung Soo (SM producing leader) said in an interview: “we have prepared a surprise for everyone, in about half a year’s time, (we) will be able to see Super Junior comeback with a whole new image created by much funds, and this has been in preparation since start of the year!”