Chap 5

30 DAYS {Completed}

The young doctor sat quietly beside the pale girl, giving an occasional glance or two. It's almost been a week since Annie was strong enough to get up onto her feet. I glanced around quickly. The survivals were sitting around at the various corners of the cave, whispering in hushed talks.

 

It wasn't a reassuring sight. Trust me when I say that.

 

Oh... Where's that girl?

 

Sarah came and sat beside me, "You're awake. Some people were out picking fruits. Have some."

 

I stared at the mangoes, "Thanks." I took a mango, "Did you see Ji?"

 

"She went out earlier with Sanga."

 

"Oh. Sanga?"

 

"Yeah the other silent one. What's wrong?"

 

"Nothing. Just checking." I said while glancing sideways at Annie.

 

Dr Han noticed, "She's fine. Look her face has regained some color."

 

I smiled slightly, "Thanks."

 

"You seem troubled."

 

"It's just that Ji has been strange lately. Like she's been distant." I couldn't quite put a finger towards the number of times the beauty with few words actually left the place for an entire day.

 

"But everyone's upset about this whole thing."

 

"I know. It's just she wasn't that distant before." I shook my head, "Sometimes I think too much."

 

"You think too much." Sarah laughed.

 

 

"Hey you guys."

 

"Oh hey." They are the guys that helped sort out the food ration before.

 

"We're thinking of leaving to find the shore. You know, build a boat and make our way out of here."

 

I sat up right, "That's not a bad idea.

 

"Wanna join us?" He smiled at Sarah, "Girls are welcomed too of course."

She gave a sarcastic smile in return.

 

"I..."

 

Well, there were many options. Join, not join. Join and there's a higher chance I would be able to find freedom. Not join and we'll never know when this ends.

 

"I guess..."

 

Thinking about all the injured ones that have come so far to this point. Okay so it isn't that far but at least we're all surviving. Is this one of those life decisions you have to make at one point of time?

 

The scene of Annie breaking down. The scene of our food supply running low. The scene of Dr Han reaching out to the injured. The scene of that crazy girl trying her best to climb the rocks with a twisted foot.

 

"No." I looked at him calmly, "No, I'll be staying here for awhile longer. Thanks for the invitation though."

 

"Oh. Well, good luck with all... that." he gestured to everything around us.

 

The footsteps of their boots scrapped against the rocks. Many of the impatient people left with them. That was about three quarters of the group.

 

I clenched my fist watching them leave. Did I just give up my chance of survival?

 

"Are you... okay?"

 

I looked up in surprise.

 

"You look like you're having an internal battle with yourself." Sarah chuckled.

 

Dr Han smiled, "Are you sure you wanna get stuck with all of us here?"

 

I shrugged, "We're not stuck. We're just resting."

 

They both nodded slowly.

 

 

Well...

 

Sometimes we have to make up the truth and feel better about it.

 

That's how we carry on living without a heavy heart.

 

 

***

 

 

Dashing of footsteps into the hide out made every stare and frown. The guys on look-out duty collapsed over each other in a messy frenzy. It looked almost as if they were trying to escape...

 

"What's wrong?"

 

"What's going on?"

 

Questions hung in the air as the guys panted and gasped, face pale and eyes teary. It was obvious and apparent.

 

 

The scent of fear in the air.

 

 

Zack stepped forward hesitantly, "What happened?"

 

Sarah stood behind him with Dr Han, "Yeah please at least let us know."

 

"It's crazy!" the blond haired guy gasped.

 

"We never thought we would see it!" Another cried.

 

"It's... It's... Just..." the other guy beside him revealed the mentioned object which was inside a bag. His hands shaking.

 

Zack paused for awhile before looking in, wondering if it was a big joke, but their faces seemed solemn enough.

 

 

The fear was real.

 

 

He leaned forward slightly and peered. The guy tilted the bag to show him the full view and he leaped backwards immediately right after. It was like an instinctive reaction. An involuntary shudder passed through his body as he lay on the ground, trying to recover.

 

"What? What is it? Show me." Sarah leaned forward but he pulled her back.

 

"Don't!" The force of his grip was scary.

 

Their eyes met and she was a little frightened, "W-What? What is it?! Tell me what is it!" her voice was strained.

 

The guys were still on their knees, weak. No one had the heart to answer her.

 

 

"Stop scaring me! Just exactly what is it?!" she grabbed the bag.

 

"No!"

 

"AHHH!!!!" she threw the bag away, crumpling onto the floor.

 

Dr Han grabbed her in time.

 

 

 

Everyone screamed when broken pieces of mangled body parts fell out...