Chap 3 - First Day

30 DAYS {Completed}

It was strange waking up the next day and seeing what was left in front of you. All the ruins and what not. The taller girl sat up in surprise at the unpleasant sight, not caring that her mat shifted.

 

"Morning Ji."

 

She turned around quickly and was faced with a piece of bread, "Oh."

 

He didn't retract his hand, "Not gonna eat?"

 

She took it hesitantly, "T-Thanks Zack."

 

He looked around them, "Guess that's all of us left."

 

She paused midway, bread in mouth, "Sorry?"

 

"I counted just awhile ago." He looked around, "About fifty of us around."

 

She was stunned even though it wasn't surprising.

 

"Morning ~ "

 

"Oh Sarah. How was the sleep?"

 

She gave him a knowing look and chose to ignore the question, "How much food supply left?"

 

"Not much." He looked upwards, "Should we take advantage of the good weather to find a better shelter spot? This place is kind of too open."

 

"Good idea. I don't wanna get soaked in a random downpour."

 

"We'll need someone to lead the way." He held her arm.

 

Again she gave him that knowing look.

 

"You said you do trekking." He stared with anticipation.

 

Her eyes narrowed before it relaxed as she let out a long sigh, "Fine... I lead. Don't you get any other-"

 

"Excuse me."

 

They turned around at the interruption.

 

A guy that looked slightly older was staring with caution, "Is it alright if I join the leading group?"

 

"Oh we aren't exactly the leading group, we are just trying to get people to move in one direction." Dr Han smiled.

 

Zack scanned the rest quickly, "Most of us are still heavily wounded. So it's best that the able ones spread out for now."

 

"Will we be okay?" The guy asked.

 

"For now." Dr Han nodded quickly.

 

"I'm gonna stay up." Sarah started off to the front as the group began to start packing up their things. The guy decided to follow her too.

 

"I'm going with her." Ji hurriedly followed.

 

Dr Han shrugged, "I shall stay in the middle in case there's an emergency."

 

"I'll fall behind then." He began tucking a few stuffs into his bag.

 

Today was going to be long. Who knows how long will it take to get them to a safer spot? The black leather book rustled as he shook his bag. He paused for a moment, taking it up.

 

"Oi Zack quick!"

 

He shoved the book back in, "Coming!"

 

 

***

 

 

Stranded on an island in the middle of nowhere. That does sound kind of cliché. The frown on Sarah's face became more prominent as the painfully long hours ticked by. There weren't any animals. No signs of anything flying above or prancing on the mushy looking earth.

 

She bent down and touched the soil. No doubt, it really is wet. The water source was kind of far though. How did the water reach till here?

 

"What's wrong?" the guy beside her asked curiously after watching her actions.

 

She shook her head, "I was just wondering where all these moist come from."

 

"Oh. Probably from the rain we missed."

 

"Probably." she agreed and carried on trudging ahead.

 

He smiled, "My name is Toki by the way."

 

She chuckled, "You're a rabbit?"

 

"Compliment accepted."

"Who says it's a compliment?"

 

"Don't you think rabbits are cute?"

 

She laughed a little, "You're not a rabbit."

 

 

Meanwhile Ji who was walking behind them was starting to feel a little uncomfortable. She glanced swiftly at the girl a few steps behind her. A shiver ran down her spine.

 

When someone gives you that look, it sort of makes you want to disappear. Why though? As hard as she tried to think of an explanation, she could not figure out why the girl was sending glares in her direction.

 

Damn...

 

Suddenly she turned around and went towards the back of the group, putting an end to the creepiness building up.

 

"Hey."

 

"Hey." she smiled slightly, "Mind if I join you?"

 

"Of course not." He smiled, "Something wrong at the front?"

 

"It's nothing."

 

He raised an eyebrow but decided not to question further, noticing the shifty glance of her eyes.

 

"This is Kai by the way. We were just talking."

 

He could tell the smile on her face wasn't genuine, "Nice to meet you." and she looked away the moment the greeting left her lips.

 

Zack cleared his throat, "Yeah so I was telling Sarah earlier that perhaps if we can find a cave, it would provide a really good shelter." he carried on his words.

 

Kai nodded, "Maybe we can fashion some weapons to do some animal hunting."

 

Zack shuddered a little, "Can't say I'm keen for-"

 

 

"AH!!!!!"

 

They froze in their tracks. Eyes wide.

 

"No!!!! Get it out of my head!!! AH!!!!!"

 

Zack exchanged uneasy looks with Kai and Ji before slowly making his way up.

There, a girl squatted on the ground, hands over her ears and wailing. Everyone moved away from her with fear in their eyes.

 

Zack stood beside an old man, "What is it?"

 

"One moment she was fine and then the next, she was screaming about something in her head."

 

He looked at the girl and felt a bad feeling curling inside.

 

"Are you gonna talk to her?" Ji asked.

 

He gulped, "What?"

 

"I think it's not normal. It doesn't seem like she's having a trauma attack."

 

"Yeah..." his breathing got quicker, "Should I?"

 

The girl was already seated on the ground from exhaustion. Zack pushed himself forward reluctantly. Everyone took another involuntary step back.

 

"H-Hey..."

 

She jolted and turned to him instantly. Her eyes red.

 

It was hard not to look, "A-Are you alright?"

 

"They are coming." she rasped.

 

"Who's coming? He frowned.

 

"They said they will come and take us all."

 

"What?"

 

She grabbed him by his collar and pulled him closer. He flinched at the unexpected strength.

 

"We are all... going to die."

 

He just stare at her wide eyed, "W-What..."

 

 

The girl coughed and blood dripped down the corners of , staining her lips. Everyone screamed and began to run. Crying at the words that brought about fear in lost hearts.

 

Zack stared in horror at the scene before him as the girl fainted in his arms.

 

 

Wait don't run! Don't go!