Chapter 25

You're My Destiny

I let the wind blow through my hair as I tugged on the hems of my cardigan and swung my legs back and forth, hitting against the edge of the ledge on each backward pull of the calves. 

One week since the incident, one week since I last saw Woohyun, one week since I last spoke to him. 

I was still rather shaken up by the dreadful attack; how could Woohyun have done that to me? I trusted him with my life and he misused it; hell I loved him and he treated me like a piece of . Never in my life have I felt so dirty, so used, so pathetic. 

I squeezed my eyes shut as I clenched my fists tighter, hoping to eradicate the pain from my heart, head and body. I had passed out in the middle of our and woke up to find an empty bloodied bed; Woohyun was nowhere in sight. No messages, no calls, no visits. It was as though nothing had happened and Woohyun seemed to have disappeared off the face of the earth.

I quickly wiped away the stray tear that escaped, telling myself for the thousandth time to stay strong. I had promised not to cry over Woohyun anymore, I was stronger than that. 

Staring out into the buildings, trees and passerby in the near distance, I was reminded of how small and fragile the human live was as all the objects looked like miniature sized doll house items from such a height. No I wasn't suicidal, I wasn't going to let something like that pull me down. Yes is a traumatizing thing but what could I do? What was done could not be undone. Maybe I could have put up a stronger fight but it would have left Woohyun and even myself terribly injured. Furthermore, that might not even have changed the result since Woohyun could easily overpower me. I could have reported to the police immediately to have him arrested after a check-up at the hospital but it would damage Woohyun's reputation for life; I don't reckon having a criminal record would sit well with a future CEO. Woohyun has been nothing short of an the past few months but at the end of the day, he was still my fiance, my best friend, my other half. 

I was staring out into space with nothingness filling my mind when a presence next to me pulled me out of my daydream.

"Hey princess."

I turned to my left to find my gorgeous friend looking ahead, dimples making an deep impression on his flawless complexion and fringe fluttering in the slight breeze. 

"How did you find me?" I was completely baffled, amused and surprised all at the same time; Myungsoo never failed to impress me.

"I'm your super powerful psychology expert stalker remember?"

I couldn't but let out a giggle, feeling light-hearted for the first time in ages.

"And...I got something for you," my unexpected companion announced as he pulled out his left hand from his side to reveal a chocolate ice cream in a cone.

I looked at him with doubt in my eyes and remained quiet with my mouth open in astonishment.

"Come on, I know it's off-peak season so you don't need to worry about your weight. Also, I happen to be sure that this is your favourite ice cream flavour from your favourite ice cream parlour down the street so you can't refuse."

True enough, he had me grabbing the ice cream from him and taking my first before he even completed his sentence. 

"And...I also brought you wet tissues to clean your hands and mouth in case it gets messy. And...a water bottle because I know you always need to wash it down after consuming such sweets."

"You are so practical," I stated, mind-blown by how considerate he was.

"Because I know you are," he replied with the cold hard truth as I responded with a chuckle at how right he was about me. 

Myungsoo's understanding, sensitive and accommodating nature truly amazed me. He never failed to pick up every slight bit of sadness I exuded and effectively countering it with a successful action which made me feel a lot better. I knew that Myungsoo knew something was wrong with me but never once had he pushed me for the truth; something I honestly might not be able to handle.

It happened one day right after psychology lesson when the lecturer had touched on the effects traumatic accidents had on the victim. Inevitably, it had triggered something within as flashes of Woohyun's monstrous actions flashed across my mind. I had left the lecture theater in tears, failing to reach the restroom before breaking down; something Myungsoo did not fail to catch as he tried pulling me into his embrace. His comforting action which would usually cause me to give in and melt in his arms caused me to flinch instead. Obviously the physical attack had led to me having the adverse effect against skinship, one of the traumatic effects I did not deny suffering. Following the incident, Myungsoo made a conscious effort to stop himself from touching me and even constantly messaged me or offered his company so I wouldn't be left alone. To sum it up, he had been nothing short of the perfect friend.

"So how's Mr Nam?"

Once again, he had obviously avoided touching on sensitive topics I might be uneasy with.

"Not too well. We're all afraid of his heart stopping again but it has been a while so I guess we're more or less prepared for it. We're sad and scared but we're beginning to accept it if you know what I mean..."

"Yeah...what's to become of the business?"

I exhaled, relieving some of the tension I felt in my shoulders as I got reminded of the burden that had befallen upon me.

"With Woohyun proving himself to be incompetent I guess I have to step up and do my best. Sometimes I feel that I can do it and I was meant to having been prepared for it practically all my life but part of me just lacks the confidence as a nineteen year old. Kinda having to do it alone as well, Woohyun and I were supposed to work together you know, as per planned. He provides the business theories and I manage the operational aspect with the law and psychology expertise."

"Well, I am as good in my business theories as I am with my psychology so don't hesitate in reaching out to me alright? After all, my family has a share in the corporation as well so I might as well make sure it brings in the millions right?" he stated with a fake smug look plastered on his face on top of the genuine words.

Why was Myungsoo so perfect?

"Thank you Myungsoo, for everything."

"Oh come on sweetheart, what are friends for?"

As I observed the beautiful creature in front of me, I found myself asking the question for the very first time, "Do I wish we were more than just friends?"


"We lost him, I’m sorry. We are allowing twenty-four hours for family members to say good bye before the body has to be shifted out. I’m sorry for your loss Miss Lee; my condolences go out to you and your family.”

As soothing as the nurse’s voice was, it did not help alleviate the pain I felt in my heart. Despite convincing myself that we were prepared to let him go, hearing the news still came as a shock to my system. Picking up my phone, I dialled the first number without any thought or hesitation; Woohyun’s hand phone.

The first call was left unanswered as I grabbed my car keys with the intention of rushing over to Woohyun’s dorm to find him; ignoring that fact that it was possible to find him in the same comprising situation I did a while back. Nothing at hand mattered more than getting him to Mr Nam’s side; if I had to face another so be it. Pressing the redial button, I switched my phone to speaker mode and left it on my passenger seat. Just as I was about to rev the engine, a hello was heard through the speakers and I immediately reached for my phone, switching off the hands-free mode and placing it against my ear.

“Woohyun?”

“Sorry to disappoint babe, this isn’t your dear fiancé. But I promise I make a better substitute,” sneered the person on the other end, causing me to flinch in pure disgust. I knew exactly who the creep was; Lee Sungyeol.

Ignoring him and the irked sensation within my body, I cut straight to the point, “Where’s Woohyun? It’s urgent. His dad just passed away.”

There was a moment of silence on the other end of the line before some incoherent mumbling was heard followed by a second voice greeting me.

“Hey, Yuri?” Sunggyu’s voice resounded loud and clear.

“Where is Woohyun?” my impatience was slowly wearing out.

“We’re erm…at a hotel.”

I bit my lips; this was just as I had expected wasn’t it? Woohyun screwing around while his father was in a dreadful state. I guess this explained the awkwardness over the phone amongst the two bad influences.

“Where?”

My mission was clear from the start; to locate Woohyun and bring him to the hospital. Nothing else mattered.

“Love2night.”

I rolled my eyes at the recognition of the cheap love motel nearby. Considering the fact that these two have been leeching off Woohyun for the past months, I was surprised they didn’t decide to splurge his money on an upper-scale hotel instead.

“I’ll be there in ten minutes,” I stated before hanging up and starting my engine.

True to my words and astonishingly theirs as well, the three of us were gathered in the lobby of Love2night in the stipulated time.

“Where’s Woohyun?” I asked for the third time that night.

The two jerks exchanged looks with each other before Sungyeol replied; “I’ll take you to him.”

I obediently followed the both of them into the elevator and to the doorstep of a hotel room before reaching out to ring the doorbell situated at the side.

However, instead of waiting for the door to open, Sungyeol simply pulled a card key out from his pocket and inserted it into the reader, lighting up the green indication.

In my head, I questioned why Sungyeol had the card key, I questioned why Woohyun hadn’t come to answer the door and I questioned why the two guys were unusually quiet. But none of these questions were verbalized as I focused on my sole mission at hand.

But this mere doubtful nature turned into an alert alarm within my brain as I stepped into an empty room while the both of them were quick to lock the door behind them as they stepped in after me.

Backing off into the centre of the room I repeated, “Where is Woohyun?”

“He’s currently busy with some girl. But don’t worry we’re here to satisfy you.”

I felt my heart rate increase rapidly as the two men closed in on me and I cursed myself for the bad luck I had; being attacked ually twice within such a short period.

“ off Sungyeol,” I began with a word attack.

“Yeah we’ll be ing you alright. Don’t you worry about that. Woohyun has been bragging about how good you were and we decided we had to try for ourselves,” Sunggyu said without an ounce of shame.

His words however pierced my heart; Woohyun definitely treated me as one of his s, telling his friends about our private affair which was forcefully induced on me.

Sungyeol took advantage of the split second of vulnerability and began his attack, grabbing me by my waist and forcing his lips onto mine as he used his body weight to push me towards the bed. This mere initial action caused me to lose my mind completely, losing control over my body and brain as fear and panic filled me. It was obvious the previous encounter had indeed scarred me for life.

There was thrashing, screaming, biting, kicking, crying, scratching, punching and yelling but none of it was being registered in my brain; I didn’t even know what I was doing but all I knew was I wanted it to stop. Hands and lips were coming at me in every direction; body parts I couldn’t even figure out belonged to whom. All I knew was I was fighting to keep them away from me.

All of a sudden, I heard more shouting, sounds of flesh slapping against flesh and cracking of bones but this time, it was distant and I felt no pain. Slowly opening my eyes which I did not even remember shutting, I saw my attackers on the ground as a familiar brunette stood over them, still delivering blows until they were unconscious.

My hero then turned his attention to me, cradling me into the warm arms I had sorely missed as he cupped my cheeks and gently shook me.

“Yuri! Baby! Oh my god, baby stay with me. I’m so sorry. You’re going to be alright, I promise. Baby I love you so much.”

The sound of the siren from the ambulance was the last thing I heard before darkness claimed me.

 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQvcTS7XIoIyHPziP8LB76

This was not the type of life I asked for.


Author's Note:

Hang in there, 1 last chapter and an epilogue.

Counting down 7 days till competition deadline.