Chapter 23

You're My Destiny

Five days since I last visited Mr Nam, five draggy days where I was unable to concentrate on my studies, trainings or even friends. The team and my classmates all knew about Mr Nam's situation since it was after all published in the media. It was times like this when I hated how our families were so high profile, leaving us no privacy for such an event which did not call for attention.

Picking up a photo of our big family consisting of Mr and Mrs Nam, my parents, me and Woohyun, I found my eyes b with tears at the sight of happy and healthy Mr Nam. Being there for me since birth, he was just like a second father to me, intensifying the pain liken to that of the fear of losing a family member. I felt the first few drops of tears escape my eyes and flow down my cheeks as the pain got too much. It reminded me of how important it was to treasure your loved ones. My thoughts went back to my supportive friends who had been there for me all week; Hoya, Dongwoo, Sungjong, Lizzy, Raina and especially Myungsoo, who was there from the start. However, the person I felt I needed the most and I had thought would have needed me the most was missing; where was Woohyun?

He had been unexpectedly unaffected by the bad news, remaining hard to contact for the past few days. Since the night at the hospital, both Myungsoo and Woohyun had been acting off and it bugged me seriously wondering what was going on. Myungsoo had seemed fidgety every time I mentioned Woohyun and likewise happened the other way around during the few moments of interaction I shared with my fiancé. I rolled around in my bed in frustration as I faced yet another night of insomnia, with Woohyun taking up a bulk of my frustrated thoughts. What was going through his mind exactly? Was he sad or not? Was he hiding it inside? Did he not know how to express his feelings?

Since it was evident I wasn't going to get much sleep tonight, I decided to seek some consolation in the form of my fiancé. Equipped with a jacket, I started my slow journey towards his apartment with a heavy heart. The same dark thoughts clouded my mind as I took slow steps in the direction of my destination. On top of that, there was the intrusion of an irked sense of feeling deep within my gut. Neither my heart nor my brain could rationalize what that uncomfortable sensation was but it remained and as I arrived at the doorsteps, I found my hands trembling as I raised it up and released the lock in my wrist to let my knuckles fall against the door in a knock.

The loud knock on the wooden door resounded as an echo, disrupting the silence down the corridor, causing my heart to race in anticipation of what would greet me behind those doors. Would I be faced with a Woohyun with his face full of tears liken to my own just moments ago? Or would I be faced with an indifferent fiancé who didn’t look like he had a comatose father as always? Or worst, would my lover once again be indulging in his seemingly favourite desperate pastime of watching ography online?

As the door swung open suddenly, I felt my heart drop as an image beyond what I could possibly envision appeared; a topless female wearing just a pink lacy stood there with her hands over her ample s. She shot me a look of annoyance as she leaned against the opened door and rudely snapped, “What do you want?”

What was I supposed to answer? My heart and head hurt so bad, feeling out of place despite being at the doorstep of the person who is supposedly my future husband. At that point in time, I could feel the power she had over me as she stared me down. I averted my eye downwards as I avoided her glare, mind spinning from the state of confusion I was in. Was I angry? Hurt? Sad? Betrayed? Confused? I guess it was a bit of all of the above. However, before I could decide my next course of action, an all too familiar sound and word boomed from the bedroom.

“Baby?”

My head shot up in the said direction just to witness my fiancé stumbling out of the room with a mop of messy hair, red face, neck and upper body filled with what I can only assume to be scratches and hickeys from such a distance. With his private parts protected by just a pair of boxers, he groggily rubbed his eyes as he muttered his next few words.

“Baby, who’s there?”

I guess that was the ultimate trigger which caused silent tears to start cascading down my cheeks. I definitely felt betrayed; hearing him use a pet name I had all along assumed was only meant for me on another girl. Was that all I was to him? Another girl?

“Yuri?!”

I scoffed at his delayed realisation of my presence and let my eyes convey the amount of anger I felt towards him. As he stumbled over to where I was standing, my nose caught the stench of alcohol and I found myself clenching my fists harder than I ought to, leaving behind crescent shaped marks on my palm. Alcohol and girls. Typical of a lowlife scum. Just how did my fiancé fall to such a pathetic level?

Giving him one last glare and eye-roll, I my heels and stomped towards the elevator. Feeling the bile rise up my throat and the sensation of wanting to regurgitate at the sight of Woohyun and the , I quickened my steps, ignoring the shouts of my fiancé which seemed to only be getting louder each time.

“Yuri wait!”

“Listen to me!”

“I can explain!”

“Stop!!”

“Yuri!!”

“Yuri don’t you dare walk away from me!!!”

That bold threatening ridiculous statement got me halted in my steps. I counted to five before I felt Woohyun breathing down my back. With arms crossed, I took a slow half turn as my eyes picked out the peeking heads down the corridor. It seemed that Woohyun being the attention seeker that he was had successfully attracted an audience. 

"I can't believe you had the nerves to say that after what you have done," I emphasized each word through gritted teeth. 

I allowed my eyes to dart between the rooms of floating heads, shooting them a glare which warned them to mind their own business and a sheepish looking fiancé who obviously had no word for himself.  What could he have said? I had caught him red-handed cheating behind my back. However, this only made me question myself; how long has this been happening?

"So how long have you been sleeping behind my back?" the question was sounded out loud.

"I...I...never...I have never...I'm sorry...can we please talk inside?" Woohyun stammered as he began looking around, growing conscious of his surroundings and embarrassment. Obviously, his pride is of utmost importance. Getting caught in an argument with his fiancée was definitely not on top of his list of things he wanted people to see him in. 

"I have nothing to say to you Woohyun," I firmly stood my ground, unyielding to my fiancé’s despicable ways.

Shocked at the fierce tone, Woohyun looked me in the eye for the first time that night and that was when I noticed his bloodshot orbs and how dilated his pupils were, making me question if he was on drugs of some sorts. Judging by how he had been acting recently, the news wouldn’t even come as a shock to me.

Unable to withstand the pathetic look on his face, I escaped towards the elevator again but this time round with a stronger determination to not turn back regardless of what I happened. I successfully blocked out his constant yelling of my name as the elevator doors opened the instant I pressed the button. Entering and quickly exerting pressure on the door closing button, I caught his final yells before the physical barrier cut off all visuals and sounds.

“You’ll always be mine Lee Yuri!”

I allowed the flood gates to open the moment the lift doors closed as I let my defences fall, mind crumbling like a smashed cookie. How could Woohyun do this to me? I thought he loved me, I thought I was the only one for him, I thought I was his…destiny.

I wandered mindlessly without an aim, letting the cold night freeze my pain. Staying out in the cold for such a long time rendered my cardigan useless and the numb sensation was slowly spreading throughout my body. However, it did not affect my system as the image of Woohyun in bed with the was enough to numb all my senses.

Sobbing and walking along the pavement, I suddenly felt cold drops on my cheeks were not produced by me. Looking up, I realised that it was raining; seems like the sky was crying too. Pulling myself together, I observed my surroundings, hoping to spot a familiar building in the dark I could seek refuge in. I took small slow steps, turning my head left and right as I found myself slowly finding the place rather familiar. However, my plan to take my time in seeking a safe shelter was thwarted when the slight drizzle turned into a heavy downpour within seconds. Panicked, I found myself sprinting towards the first house I spotted on the street praying that the residents of the place would not be dangerous.

Upon closer inspection, I silently thanked god for the amazing of luck as I recognised the house; the Kim residence. Upon reaching the doorsteps, I hesitated, questioning myself again if it was a good idea to disrupt their peace so late on a Friday night. However, my body protested strongly against my rationale mind and I found myself ringing the doorbell with shaking hands due to both the cold and anxiety.

I waited for half a minute before the lights in the living room and the latched door creaked open as a sleepy-faced Myungsoo appeared through the crack.

“Hey, I’m sorry,” I greeted.

“Yuri?”

Myungsoo’s face changed from a confused one to a shocked one upon gaining awareness of the unexpected guest. He immediately unlatched the door and pulled me in by my arm, ignoring my protests of keeping his hands away from a soaked me. Mrs Kim slowly approached the living room from the stairs, took a single look at me and rushed to the back of the kitchen without a word before returning promptly with a towel in her hand.

“Come here sweetheart, you must be freezing,” Mrs Kim gently coaxed as she wrapped the warm fluffy towel around me.

Thanking her with a smile, she returned the gesture before heading back upstairs, passing me over to Myungsoo’s care. My friend simply grabbed a second towel and helped me dry my wet hair before his mother entered the living once again and this time round returning with a pile of clothes. I thanked the kind mother and son for the second time that night before heading towards the toilet to change into the borrowed set of clothes. It was a t-shirt and pants I assumed belonged to Mrs Kim.

“There you are sweetheart, you look adorable in my old clothes. You can keep them alright, I can’t fit into them anymore,” Mrs Kim commented with a slight giggle.

“I made you some hot chocolate with marshmallows thrown in, I’m going to head back upstairs, tell me if you need anything.”

“No Mrs Kim, it’s fine. You’ve been too kind. I’m sorry for disrupting your sleep,” each word was heavily drenched in guilt.

“Oh sweetheart, it’s nothing. It’s Saturday anyway and you’re practically family. I’ll leave the two of you alone.”

Her words alone heated my body from within as my touched heart swelled in gratitude. Placing myself down on the couch, I grabbed the warm cup of beverage with both hands as I sipped on it slowly. Myungsoo found his spot beside me, keeping silent and giving me time and space as he physically assured me that he was there for me.

“I went to look for Woohyun,” I began my owed explanation for dropping by suddenly at such an ungodly hour.

Shifting himself closer so that our shoulders were touching, Myungsoo responded with a hum, indicating to me that he was listening.

“I…I found…him…I found him with…with…with another girl,” I stuttered, biting my lips hard to prevent another round of break down; I had enough crying for one night.

Myungsoo simply pulled me into his arms and placed his head on top of mine while running his hands up and down my back as a form of comfort before muttering an apology.

Tilting my head upwards to face him, I was about to question him for his unneeded apology when I realised that guilt was written all over his face. Not shock but guilt. However, before I could question him, the psychology expert delved into his explanation.

“I actually caught him red-handed that night. The night I went looking for him to bring him back to the hospital. I went to Super Club and he wasn’t there so I asked around and someone saw him leave with a girl. I caught sight of Sungyeol when I was driving around the area and followed him into a love hotel and…I found Woohyun there. I’m so sorry Yuri I didn’t mean to hide it from you but I couldn’t bear breaking your heart. I told Woohyun to stop but I guess my words meant nothing to him. I’m so sorry babe,” Myungsoo was a sobbing mess by the time he was done as his grip on me started tightening and shaking.

I caressed his arms before wiping the tears off his face with the back of my hand. How could I be mad at him? It wasn’t even his fault. Myungsoo could even have used it to get me into his arms; revelation of a cheating fiancé was definitely reason enough for me and Woohyun to separate. Amazed by his golden heart, I found myself burrowing my head in his comfortable chest before letting his warm and steady heartbeat lull me to sleep.

 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQvcTS7XIoIyHPziP8LB76

I wish the tears could wash away the ink.


Author's Note:

4 more chapters till the end + 1 epilogue; counting down 13 days to the competition, I need to work faster and harder.