Chapter 1

You're My Destiny

“Oppa! Give it back to me!” I squealed as I chased my childhood friend down the stairs and into the living room.

Nam Woohyun, son of President Nam of the Nam Enterprise, and also my best friend since birth. His father and mine were business partners. My father owned Lee Corporation and I was the sole heir to his empire, as so was Woohyun to his. Our fathers were the best of friends and they wanted more than anything to be more than just best friends, they wanted to be family. There wasn’t a more perfect way to bind the two families than the marriage of their two only children. They made the announcement to us when we were 15, which was 4 years ago.


Flashback:

“Yah Oppa! You didn’t protect me from the zombies! You stupid chicken you ran away and left your partner to get devoured by those disgusting things! Urgh!” I screamed as I whacked Woohyun with the controller.

We were currently indulging in our after school activity of playing Resident Evil 4 on our PlayStation 3. Woohyun and I studied in different schools but our mansions were right beside each other and our houses were linked by a hallway. Woohyun and I have been inseparable since birth and we practically had our own adjacent room in each other’s’ houses.  Our parents don’t even bother questioning us when we don’t come home at night, assuming that we were at our second home, which was never wrong.

I threw the controller at Woohyun in frustration and crossed my arms, signalling the start of my silent treatment. Woohyun quietly kept the console neatly into the cabinet before crawling over to me on the couch.

“Yuri-ah, stop being angry at Oppa ok? I’ll buy you a new Hello Kitty doll, the one in the pink cheerleader costume you had your eye on.”

I widened my eyes in surprise, “Really?!”

“No, I can’t.”

“Yah! Jerkface!” I continued with my physical abuse as I pummelled his chest with my tiny fists.

Woohyun chuckled and grabbed both of wrists, bringing it to his chest with one hand before ruffling my hair with the other.

“How can I buy it now if I already bought it the moment you laid eyes on it?” Woohyun replied whilst making his way towards his Louis Vuitton school bag and taking out the named new purchase.

I squealed in delight before encasing him in a tight hug before receiving the present from him and placing a kiss on the cheek of both the doll and the giver.

“You know I’d do anything to make you happy.”

Woohyun and his cheesiness; my cheeks turned a light pink at his sweet words and gesture.

Woohyun’s mother came into the living room at that point in time and announced dinnertime. As we made our way to the dining room, all four adults were already in a heated discussion. They seemed particularly happy today.

Throughout dinner, it felt like me and Woohyun were being observed. I noticed them stealing glances at each other every time Woohyun served a food on my plate, or me passing on my vegetables to Woohyun because I did not like them or Woohyun wiping my mouth with his fingers when the sauce escaped from my lips. These were normal to us but today it seemed these actions were not being unnoticed by the four hawks seated with us. They seemed more than pleased with the table activities.

Finally when dessert was being served Woohyun’s father cleared his throat before beginning, “Kids, I – I mean we – have an announcement to make. After much discussion, we have decided that the two of you will enrol in Woollim University together and get married after graduation.”

I was only a tad bit stunned at the news, but only because we were still young and university was still some good years away. Woohyun was the first between us to answer our parents, who were anticipating a response.

“Woollim? Marriage?”

“Ah yes, Woollim is a prestigious University and it is run by one of our close friends, Mr Kim. I believe he has a son your age as well so you’ll probably be enrolling together. As for your marriage, it was decided since your birth but we decided that since you guys are now matured enough to understand, we should inform you about the decision made. You have no objections right? The two of you look perfect together.” My father explained.

Woohyun and I exchanged a look before shaking our heads. The adults immediately delved into their celebrations as Mr Nam opened a bottle of Italy’s finest red wine and jumped straight into wedding preparations. Laughter rang throughoutt the house that night.

It was a few hours later when I was finally sitting on my bed, with my new prized possession in my arms, contemplating on life. My thoughts were interrupted by a soft knock on the door before I saw an all too familiar handsome face peek in.

“Can I come in princess?”

I giggled and rolled my eyes, which also translated to ‘yes’.

Woohyun slid under my covers beside me and pulled me into a hug, letting me rest my head on his shoulder as he played with my hair.

“Yuri-ah, are you really ok with this?”

I sighed before answering him, “Oppa, this has nothing to do with you but you know, I always dreamt that I’d be like one of my fairy tale princess where her prince charming comes riding on a white horse and sweeps her off her feet.”

“Well, I do have intentions of driving you around in that white Audi R8 due to be mine when I pass my driving test.”

I whacked his chest with my Hello Kitty before snuggling closer to him.

“You know what I mean Oppa. Like I said it’s not you. I mean, I can imagine spending the rest of my life with you but I’ve always seen you as a brother you know? And now I’m supposed to what? Treat you as a fiancé? Are we officially engaged to each other? It’s just…weird. I’m confused.”

Woohyun wiped my pout away with his thumb as I continued rambling on.

“I wanna know what it feels like to fall in love, to share my first kiss with someone and experience all that magical moment with him.”

Woohyun had a serious expression on his face as he placed his hand under my chin, lifting me to return his gaze.

“Who says you can’t experience all that with me?” Woohyun whispered as he sealed it with a kiss.

It was our first kiss. His lips were soft and sweet and it seemed to mould onto mine perfectly. Maybe this was indeed my destiny, to fall in love with my perfect best friend.

No further words were needed as we spent our first night together in each other’s’ arms as a couple.

End of Flashback


I let out a scream of triumph as I tackled my fiancé onto the velvet-lined couch and snatched my Hello Kitty back from him. Woohyun laughed and shot me a smirk as he easily manoeuvred us so that he was on top of me. He propped his weight on his palms and knees as he straddled me and looked at me straight in the eye. I pouted and continued cuddling my doll, ignoring his intense gaze.

“Yuri-ah,” he called out as he lowered himself and nuzzled his nose against my cheek.

“When are you going to stop playing with that doll and play with me instead?” He whispered against my ear as he trailed his right hand down the entire side of my body, caressing my curves.

I tried to steady my breathing as my heart rate increased at his touch, teasing him in return, “Woohyun-ah, are you jealous of a doll?”

He pushed himself back up and glared at me. “So what if I am? That stupid doll is currently comfortably rested in the middle of your cleavage.”

“Oppa-ah…you do realise that you were the one who bought me the doll don’t you?” I said as I ran my fingers down his distinct jawline.

“Yeah but I thought you’d get over it after 4 years jagiya,” he replied.

“You know I only love you,” I stated as I tilted my head and placed a peck on his cheek.

That caused a smile to return to his face as he swooped down to catch my lips in a passionate kiss. But before he could slip his tongue in, a cough interrupted our moment and he froze.

“As much as I adore you son, I would appreciate it if you didn’t up my daughter in my presence, not before marriage anyway,” my father commented, making me red in embarrassment.

Woohyun, being the shameless person that he is, didn’t even show signs of discomfiture as he briefly got up and bowed in apology. What a charmer he is.

My father acknowledged his apology before continuing, “It’s time for dinner; we have an announcement to make.”

Both families were seated around a large circular ivory table with a lazy susan in the middle. The rotating device was full of a large variety of exquisite dishes which fitted our expensive taste buds. The six of us began digging into the food as the dinner topic once again revolved around the health status of the two giants in the Korean market.  

I cleared my throat as I questioned, “Erm daddy, you said you had an announcement?”

“Oh yes, we have just confirmed your courses for you. Woohyun you’ll be taking a double degree in Business and Accountancy, as the future head of our combined empire. Yuri you’ll be doing a Law degree with a double minor in Psychology and Public Relations so you can be the perfect assistant to your husband in terms of dealing with external parties. School starts in a month.”

Being the obedient children that we were, we nodded in acknowledgement with no questions.

“Oh and also, we have arranged for the both of you to be put up at neighbouring residences on campus.” My father continued.

My mother added on, “Don’t worry it’s the most expensive accommodation on campus with its own bathroom, fully air-conditioned and definitely singly occupied.”

“Woohyun you may drive your Audi to school for easy transportation. A parking lot has been reserved under that number plate at your faculty and residence. Yuri would you like to drive as well? I’ve already temporarily requested a lot for you too,” Mr Nam addressed us.

“Sure uncle, I guess I’ll be driving-“

“She’ll drive her Blue Lotus Elise, dad,” Woohyun finished my sentence for me.

I stuck out my tongue at him before replying Mr. Nam, “Yes uncle I will be driving my Lotus.”

“Please, call me dad as well child,” Mr. Nam sternly ordered.

“Yes dad.”

And the whole table erupted into yet another round of laughter as I shyly looked down at my lap. Woohyun s his fingers through mine as we exchanged a loving look and leaned towards each other for a kiss, both looking forward to our next part of life together.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQvcTS7XIoIyHPziP8LB76

They did not need to put it down in ink but the two childhood friends were now being bounded by a contract.


Author's Note:

Please comment, subscribe and upvote <3 It would mean a lot to me.