Chapter 18

You're My Destiny

“Yes baby, please be there at 6pm, you know how annoyed dad gets when people are late,” I threatened my fiancé.

I finally managed to get hold of him after two gruelling weeks of non-stop calling and messaging. His excuse when he finally picked up the phone this morning; he lost his phone within the huge villa. I knew I was supposed to be mad and upset but I simply felt too relieved hearing his voice and knowing that he is safe and sound after worrying for so long. Woohyun was due to fly back from Jeju within moments this morning and he claimed that he found his phone amidst the mess when packing up last night. Spending the final night charging his phone, he made one final call from Jeju to me to confirm our plans for the day. Our family dinner was later this evening and we agreed to meet up there itself since schedule was tight.

I spent the remainder of my morning putting the finishing touches onto my psychology project before having my pre-packaged lunch and getting ready for drive back home. Locking up the windows and doors, I hopped into my Lotus Elise and geared up the engine and set off towards the Starbucks drive-thru for my source of caffeine to keep me awake along with blasting my Super Junior music. As I pulled up into the counter, I shifted my gear into the parking mode, opened up my Dior wallet and paid for my drink with a smile and thank you. Placing the coffee nicely into the cup holder, I shifted my gear back into drive and stepped on the accelerator. However, instead of the engine revving up and moving forward, it spurted and subsequently shut down. I ignited the engine once again but smoke started appearing from the hood and I immediately freaked out, switching off the engine and jumping out of the car.

“, , ,” I cursed under my breath, feeling at a lost at my accident.

The silver Honda queuing behind me started blasting its horn, causing extreme annoyance to my system. Being my prideful self, I ignored the driver’s constant honking and stood there arms akimbo, analysing my next appropriate action to take.

“Hey princess.”

Wow, a prince charming to my rescue; it was Kim Myungsoo striding over with his signature dimpled smile. Paying attention to my car, he investigated the cause of the break down and diagnosed that since it was dead with smoke being emitted, it would be safer to push it aside so as not to obstruct traffic. I promptly slipped back into my car and released the brake as Myungsoo rolled up the sleeves of his black shirt and pushed my car over fifty metres into a parking lot and apologising to the drivers in line on my behalf. Sprinting back to his car which was two cars behind mine, he drove the black BMW over to where I was and pulled up in the lot next to mine.

Stepping out of his car once again, he waited for the smoke to stop coming out before opening it up. With the aid of some towels and water, he checked the engine of my car and informed me that it needed replacement before I could drive again. With that newly attained knowledge, I resigned myself to fate as I pulled my hand phone out to call the tow-truck. After receiving confirmation from the company, I discreetly slipped my keys onto the top of my tyres and made my way towards the main road to hail a cab so I could hopefully make it to dinner without being too late.

“Thanks Myungsoo, really. I’m sorry you had to do such dirty work dressed like that. Where are you going anyway?”

“Erm…just some…erm…dinner…you?”

“My family dinner. Remember? Damn my stupid car, now I have to find a cab.”

“You want a lift?”

 “Are you even heading in the same direction?” I asked Myungsoo sceptically.

“Why not? Come on, I can’t leave my princess here right?”

I felt my heart flutter at the mention of the words “my princess” and decided to accept his offer since it was definitely better than waiting for a cab out in the summer heat.

Our conversations throughout the long drive was nice and heart-warming, we could basically talk about everything under the sun from something as technical as our project to something as personal as our family matters. Myungsoo even asked about Woohyun, knowing that I was worried sick about my fiancé for the past weeks. Informing him that Woohyun had finally returned my calls and messages earlier this morning, I thanked him for his concern, surprised that he still bothered caring despite all the treatment he had received from my temperamental fiancé.

Due to the rather bad jam on the highway, it was already 5.45pm in the evening and I was barely in time for the family dinner.

“So…where’s your dinner?” I asked Myungsoo as he pulled up onto the driveway.

“Erm…it’s no big deal,” Myungsoo replied with his rub of the nape once again.

“Don’t lie to me, you know you can’t. It’s far right? You’re not going to make it there on time isn’t it?”

Taking a look at his watch, he reluctantly replied, “Fine, I can’t lie. Yes.”

“Exactly, so you’re joining us for dinner.”

I was sure the word “no” was on the tip of his tongue but as he opened his mouth, I shot him a fierce glare which rendered him no choice but to agree.


“Oh my gosh, Yuri! We were so worried about you! You messaged us five hours ago that you had left and you hadn’t reached! And…who’s your friend?” Mum asked with a raise of the eyebrow and mischievous glint in her eye as she noticed my gorgeous friend behind me.

Before I could answer her question, Myungsoo politely introduced himself with a bow.

“Wow, what a fine gentleman,” Mum commented, as she invited him into the house and to join us for dinner.

I explained to my mother that my car had broken down and that I was lucky enough to have Myungsoo, a friend nearby to come to my rescue. I also informed her of the fact that he was the son of headmaster Kim they had mentioned about.

The moment we entered the dining room where the rest of the family was seated waiting, Woohyun gave a rude welcome.

“What are you doing here?” he shouted, question obviously directed at Myungsoo as he alternated his dagger shooting between me and my friend.

“Oh Woohyun, relax, he was just kind enough to send Yuri here since her car broke down, don’t need to get upset dear,” my mother replied on my behalf.

 “Hey! Myungsoo isn’t it? Headmaster Kim’s son,” Mr Nam recognized the good-looking male as a family friend’s child.

Myungsoo acknowledged his greeting in a well-mannered way before settling down with us at the dinner table. It was nice to see how Myungsoo was able to get along very well with our families and everyone managed to open up to him within minutes. I guess his warm family had trained him up pretty well, making him well-received by all sorts of people who carried different statuses. Myungsoo himself was from a well-to-do family, there was little wonder why he could get along so well with our rich families. Everyone at the table simply adored him, all except Woohyun of course.

“So Myungsoo dear, where were you headed before you had to pick our princess up?” my mother asked our guest endearingly.

“Oh…I was actually on the way to the art exhibition,” the black-haired male put his utensils down and answered.

“Oh, you mean the annual arts festival happening?” my father asked, continuing the conversation topic.

Myungsoo nodded yes, eyes glinting at the new founded fact that there was someone else in the room sharing the same interest.

“Oh, the event today is by special invite only right? You must have worked quite hard to get a pass, I had requested one from my friend but apparently connections wasn’t enough, you had to submit a work of your own. You must be one talented artist,” my father carried on explaining and I could feel the guilt rising up from within; Myungsoo had sacrificed something dear and he had lied to me about it.

“I submitted a photograph,” Myungsoo told my dad, earning himself an impressed nod.

“Well well young man, what other talents do you have hidden up your sleeves?” Mr Nam asked curiously.

“Dad, he’s just a psychology student,” Woohyun interrupted rudely.

“Interesting, you have a passion in it?” Mrs Nam showed an interest in his unique choice of studies.

“Yeah I do, my brother’s the one with the business brain so he’s going to take over dad’s duties. I’m the younger kid chasing my passions, but I am taking a minor in business so I am perfectly capable of taking over if need be. Woohyun’s my classmate in some of the classes I take,” Myungsoo eloquently replied, ending it with a dimpled smile directed at Woohyun.

The news was new to me; I never knew they had shared classes. But knowing Woohyun’s jealous nature I’m not too surprised why he never mentioned it to me.

“Well, you must share classes with Yuri too then?” my mother asked.

“Yeah, he does. He’s our top student. I’m lucky to have gotten him as my assignment partner,” I explained.

“Wow, looks like you’re both the looks and brain,” my mother with a wink, earning a shy blush from the gorgeous male.

I giggled and smiled at Myungsoo’s embarrassment, glad that my family had taken a liking towards him despite Woohyun’s objection.

“Yeah but he doesn’t partake in any sports,” Woohyun interjected.

“Yeah, I’m nowhere as talented as Yuri, she’s great in both studies and sports. She’s the star cheerleader and I swear I was going to keep this a secret but she practically has her own personally fan club back at Woollim,” Myungsoo countered.

“Oh yes speaking of which, we forgot to celebrate your successes! Bring out the wine! Let’s indulge in some,” Woohyun’s father announced as the waiter brought out the glasses and yet another wine within our extensive expensive collection.

Woohyun was about to steal a glass when I placed a palm over arm, reminding him that he had to drive. Displeased, he put the glass away with a clank and continued sulking before insisting that we had to leave if we wanted to make it back before midnight.

Our parents agreed and soon enough the three students had bid goodbye and were readying our cars for the drive back.

 _________________________________________________________________________________

“I can’t believe you gave up your art exhibition for me,” I confronted Myungsoo the moment we stepped out of the huge mansion.

“It’s nothing, photography is just a small hobby.”

“Liar. I told you, you can’t lie to me. I’ve seen the passion in your eyes when you take photographs. Why did you sacrifice such an event just to send me?”

Myungsoo kept his head hung low and I knew he was unable to look me in the eye and answer me. Thankfully for him, Woohyun cut our conversation short with yet another rude shout of the night.

“So are you getting into his car or mine?”

I rolled my eyes in irritation before trudging over to Woohyun’s white Audi.

“Don’t be rude Woohyun, he freaking got me here safely ok,” I snapped, unable to withstand his attitude towards my friend.

Without apologising to either party, Woohyun simply shrugged and slammed the door shut before starting the long drive back to our school in awkward silence. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQvcTS7XIoIyHPziP8LB76

There was no more happy laughter between us.


Author's Note:

Please comment, subscribe and upvote <3 It would mean a lot to me.