Chapter 22

You're My Destiny

"ICU ward 1A...ICU ward 1A..." I muttered to myself as I raced through the corridor in search of the matching label on the door to the message flashing on the phone held in my hand.

"Yuri, here," a gentle hold on my shoulder was held as the owner of the hand guided me to the right side where the locked doors leading to the Intensive Care Unit wards.

Still in a distraught state, I allowed my companion to register our names at the counter before we were escorted to the ICU suite. With his left hand gripping my right firmly, the doors were gently pushed opened by the nurse and I was greeted with the sight of our entire family seated within the living room area of the suite. Mrs Nam and my mother were huddled together with tears painting their red cheeks, my father was engaged in conversations with visiting uncles, aunties, cousins and old family friends.

“Dad,” I greeted with a shaking voice, stealing his attention away from my uncle.

“Where is Woohyun?” my father asked as his gaze shifted between me and Myungsoo.

“I can't find him dad, I tried,” I broke out in sobs instantly at the end of my sentence and Myungsoo wasted no time in letting go of my hand to pull me into an embrace instead.

Following the phone-call, Myungsoo had driven me all the way to Super Club to search for my fiancé but it was only eight in the evening when we arrived and it seemed that the party wasn't in full swing yet, which explained Woohyun's absence. Speeding back to school, we found that Woohyun wasn't in his apartment either and Myungsoo was quick-witted in leaving a message behind on his door after borrowing a pen and paper from Woohyun's neighbour and requesting that he help in informing Woohyun of the urgency should he return.

“It's alright sweetheart,” a firm hand squeezed my shoulder.

“Mr Nam is resting in the room now, you can see him quietly,” my father continued.

“Come on, Yuri,” Myungsoo did not remove his hand as he ushered me in the direction of the bedroom where the patient laid unconscious.

As I peeked into the room, I broke down at the broken sight of Mr Nam. He had tubes sticking out from every orifice on his pale face and the only indication that he was even still alive was the beeping machine beside his bed. A mental image of Mr Nam's healthy body flashed across my mind and as I compared that picture to reality, I broke down even further. I would have crumbled to the ground at the loss of sensation of my legs if it wasn't for Myungsoo holding me up in his arms.

“Woohyun needs to be here...” I uttered out the first thoughts that came to mind.

As it got too much for me, I dragged my feet out of the room with the help of my friend and took a seat next to Mrs Nam before hugging her shaking body.

“Where is Woohyun?” his mother asked me, pain evident in her eyes.

Guilt ate away at my heart as I realised that I had failed as a fiancée; unable to account for the whereabouts of my lover. Deciding that I had to redeem myself, I promised Mrs Nam that I would bring Woohyun here.

However, just as I was about to stand up, a strong downward force was exerted on my shoulder and I tilted my head up to find dark orbs looking back at me; orbs filled with worry and assurance.

“Don't worry, I'll get him for you.”

My heart swelled at the generous offer of my gorgeous friend; his understanding towards the situation was overwhelming.

“Are you sure?” I questioned, remembering the hostile attitude Woohyun had towards Myungsoo.

“Yes I'm sure. You should stay here with your family. I promise I'll bring him here.”

With a gentle nod and eyes b with gratitude, Myungsoo exited the suite swiftly after polite goodbyes to both pairs of adults.


 

"He was talking and laughing one moment and clutching his heart the next, I was so terrified," Mrs Nam reiterated her painful account in the middle of dropping tears for my sake.

It was fortunate that their butler was quick in calling the ambulance but even though they had saved his life, they were unable to stop him from slipping into coma. Consoling Mrs Nam, my eyes wandered to the wall clock where it indicated that it was just after midnight. It had been almost three hours since Myungsoo left the hospital and there was still no news of Woohyun from him. Looking back at Mrs Nam, I could only imagine how terrified she must have been to have witnessed her husband suffer from a sudden heart attack and then slipping into coma. As I frantically blinked back my next round of tears flooding my orbs, my father patted me on my shoulder lightly and gestured that we needed to talk. Obliging to his request, I followed him to a quiet corner of the living next to the windows, letting my mother take over the role of being there for Mrs Nam.

"Honey, I know we're all in a bad shape now but I need you to be prepared for this," my father started seriously, causing anxiety to rise from within my body.

"I'm worried about the company."

I should have guessed, dad, the forever businessman.

“The merger took place immediately after the engagement was announced and even though we’ve ironed out most of the administrative portions, there’s still a lot of work to be done in terms of reorganization of departments…”

Merger. Engagement. I had to be reminded of the most important reason why it was crucial for me and Woohyun to remain together.

“The adults are in pretty bad shape right now, I know it’s hard but I’m going to need you and Woohyun to step up and take on some responsibilities,” came the request from my father.

I knew that it was a reasonable request and it was only right that as matured adults and filial children, we had to rise to the challenge and ensure success. I was definitely ready but was Woohyun ready? With his supposed late night partying and total disregard to education? Were we ready to work together despite our currently awkward relationship? Then again it was Woohyun, I guess it would be alright. But the fear that Woohyun wasn’t ready to take up such a responsibility was stuck at the corner of my mind as a permanent nagging feeling. A good example would be tonight, where Woohyun was missing-in-action and not contactable in such an emergency.

“You kids can handle it right? A bit at a time?” Mrs Nam’s gentle voice with a hint of shakiness filled my right ear.

I did not even notice the two older women closing in on our conversation. Although my confidence was faltered due to Woohyun’s constant display of negligence, I had to give the adults a firm nod of the head to indicate my consent; I could not break their hearts, especially not at a time like this.

The adults seemed pleased with the answer as a small smile graced their faces before they turned away from me. They headed towards the middle of the room where a few people were still left behind, leaving me alone with the exception of a single person who did not follow suit, my mother.

“What’s wrong honey?”

“Nothing.”

“Is there something wrong with Woohyun?”

As they say, mother knows best. Orbs filled with shock and pain was the answer she received.

“He has been spending a lot of time with his soccer friends instead of being with me,” I gave her half the truth.

“Hmm…” my mother hummed in response.

“When was the last time you saw him?” she continued questioning.

A flash of the fight we had entered my mind and reminded me of the second half of the truth I was keeping from her; that Woohyun was faring badly in his studies due to a change in behaviour.

“Earlier this week…”

“Did something happen between the two of you?” my mother gently probed.

At her worried tone, I relented and explained our current situation. I informed her about how Woohyun had been acting strange and distant ever since he returned from the Jeju trip. I also told her that we had fought earlier this week because I caught him coming out of the headmaster’s office and found out about his bad examination results. On top of that, I confessed that the positive emotions and fun times that we used to share were gone. Woohyun had become possessive, demanding and unreasonable towards me.

I could tell that mum was highly upset at the situation we were in as she offered some form of advice like giving it some time and talking to Woohyun about it slowly in an appropriate environment. She then decided to digress from the heartbreaking topic by asking me about my cheerleading friends, coursemates and eventually a familiar friend she had met before.

“So…what’s up with you and Myungsoo huh?” my mother teased, making me blush in response.

“He’s just a really close friend,” I told her the truth.

“He likes you.”

Shocked at how she knew, my mouth hung open as I shot her a surprised look. Giggling in return, she proceeded to explain herself.

“I can tell by the way he looks at you…” she began.

“…and I know you feel the same way towards him.”

“No I don’t,” I was quick to reply. I did not want my mother thinking negatively of me as a flirt falling for another guy when I already had a fiancé.

“There’s nothing wrong you know dear? Liking him...Myungsoo seems like a really great guy and he has done so much for you.”

“But Woohyun…”

“Woohyun is your best friend. He has been your best friend since day one. But Myungsoo...he’s different. When you’re with him, I can practically see you glowing in happiness. Yes you’re happy with Woohyun too but this is different, you don’t blush and act all coy when you’re with Woohyun.”

At my mother’s full-blown explanation, I could feel the talked about blush paint my cheeks again. In the midst of all the thoughts going through my head, I noticed one; what would it be like if I was with Myungsoo?

However, the logical part of me took over as I sounded out my worry, “but mum...Woohyun and I...the merger...our families…”

“Yuri, we love you and as a mother, your happiness is the most important,” my mother tenderly said as she pulled me into a warm hug.

Our sweet moment came to an abrupt end as the doors of the suite swung open as my close friend walked in with a seemingly drunk Woohyun in tow.

My fiancé stumbled in with the support of Myungsoo as he barely mumbled a word of greeting to the adults before Myungsoo ushered him into the room at top speed and closing the door behind them. I frowned at their strange behaviour but the adults seemed to be in full understanding of their actions.

“I guess he just wants to be alone with his father, Woohyun never liked crying in front of people,” Mrs Nam sounded out, confirming my beliefs.

“Honey, why don't you go in there, I'm sure he needs you,” my father placed a warm hand on my back and I immediately heeded his instructions and made my way into the closed room.

Entering the quiet room save the beeping sound emitted from the machines, I found Woohyun seated on the chair beside the bed, body bent over with face buried in his palms. Myungsoo was standing beside the door, leaning against the wall with arms crossed and head bowed. Sliding my hand softly against his arm as a silent thank you, he shot me a dimpled smile before nodding towards my fiancé, signalling me to go over. Taking a deep breath, I slowly walked over to Woohyun before kneeling down and placing a gentle palm on his knee, expecting him to face me with a face full of tears.

However, as he looked up, I found a red faced Woohyun; drunk but not in tears. I shot him a confused look, knowing that he was a warm-hearted child who loved his father dearly. How could he not be devastated?

“Are you ok?”

“I'm fine,” he answered curtly before throwing his head back while leaning against the back of the chair.

“How does this impact us, me?”

I was taken aback by his cold-hearted answer. No questions on what happened, how his father was doing, how his mother was doing, how I was doing. Had Woohyun really changed? Have I lost the loving fiancé I once knew?

“Well, we have to help out in the company now, relief them of some burden.”

“I'm not ready,” Woohyun shot back, making my heart stop in shock for the third time in a spam of a few minutes.

“What is wrong with you Woohyun?!” I raised my voice a little, unable to control my emotions as tears sprung into my eyes, hurt by my fiancé's selfishness.

“Hey, calm down. Not here,” a familiar warm hand was placed on the lower of my back as my close friend pulled me out of the room and suite altogether, leaving Woohyun alone.

Out of sight and hearing range of anyone else, I thanked my friend for fulfilling his promise of bringing my fiancé to the hospital.

“Where did you find him?”

“Erm...I...at...erm...the club?” Myungsoo answered while rubbing his nape and wearing a anxious look, obvious signs that he was lying.

“You know you can't lie to me Myungsoo,” I exclaimed.

Agreeing, Myungsoo simply kept silent. I decided not to push him any further but I had to ask myself, why was Myungsoo protecting Woohyun? What was going on exactly?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQvcTS7XIoIyHPziP8LB76

What type of game was he playing?


Author's Note:

5 more chapters till the end + 1 epilogue and possibly another ending note linking back to the contest...

This chapter was a bit rushed hope I didn't disappoint. Comment away my loves <3