Chapter 9

I Think I'm Ugly

Today’s the recording for Gag Concert and guess what I heard?

“YA! Did you know that Super Junior is coming today?” my colleagues squealed.

Just like me, they’re also big fans of them. But of course, they still think that my feelings for Siwon is just an idol-crush. They do know that I was in the same academy with him and it’s just that. They never questioned me whether I knew him personally or not.

There were a lot of people coming to today’s recording and most of them are girls. Fangirls, I bet. Some even brought the sapphire blue lighstick. Thank goodness they didn’t bring banners and placards. They could get in trouble if they did as it could cause discomfort to other audience.

I rehearsed my lines with my colleagues who’re going to perform the skit with me while taking a peek at the audience outside once in a while. I couldn’t see any Super Junior members at all. Maybe my colleagues heard wrong. Or maybe they weren’t able to come due to their busy schedules. If they’re not coming, I bet I wouldn’t be the only one who’s going to be disappointed.

While I was taking a short break, there were loud screams coming from the audience. Very loud, it felt like the building was shaking. I took a look outside and as expected, the screams were caused by the arrival of the Super Junior members. There were only four of them – Ryewook, Yesung, Donghae and Siwon. I blushed at the sight of Siwon. He looked so fine, I must say. Looked like he’s fully recovered. He’s not walking with the help of crutches anymore.

I saw him taking out his phone out of his blazer’s pocket and did some texting. I bet he’s tweeting. He took a picture of the audience as well and smiled. The fans were screaming and he hushed them by putting his index fingers on his lips causing the fans to squeal in silence. I took out my phone to check his twitter, and yes, he updated a few seconds ago. While I was reading his tweet, my phone buzzed loudly.

‘I’m looking forward to watching your segment. Hwaiting!

-          Choi Siwon’

 

I gasped. Did he just? I could feel my cheeks turning hot.

“Why is your face so red? Are you sick?” manager eonni asked while putting her palm on my forehead to check my temperature.

“A-aniyo (no),” I stuttered, “I’ll just go there to practise my lines for a while.”

I walked away from her, trying to avoid from being questioned. I looked at the message and smiled at it. I must do my very best today, I said to myself. I began texting him a reply.

‘Thanks! I assure you, you’re going to enjoy it~ ^^

-          Jung Hyori’

I hope that came out okay. I don’t want to sound flirty and I don’t want him to get the wrong idea. Even though deep in my heart, I’d love to confess my feelings to him. But then I don’t want to be the bad girl in his relationship. After all, he’s back with Stella. I grimaced at the thought of her name.

I took a peek at him from the backstage. Looked like he’s received my reply and I saw him smiling to it. But then, on second thought, it might be a text message from Stella because I could see the loving in his eyes. I sighed. I’ll just do my best for today’s show.

*****

All the skits finally ended. My skit was the last one and I’m glad that everyone enjoyed it. I was kind of worried that it might be boring because I wasn’t really in my right state of mind when we were brainstorming ideas. But I saw everyone laughed, including the Super Junior members. Donghae waved at me when I was doing my part and I just nodded at him, not wanting to grab people’s attention.

I heard someone calling my name when I was having a drink to get rid of my thirst.

“Hyori-ssi!”

I turned around and saw Siwon waving at me with a bouquet of flowers in his hand. He approached me and held the bouquet in front of me.

“For you.”

“What? Why?”

“I heard that today is the first day that you’re acting for your own segment,” he replied, “so here’s a little something as a congratulatory note.”

I was bit hesitant to accept the flowers but accepted it anyway and thanked him.

“White roses are my favourite,” I told him, “how’d you know that?”

He shrugged and claimed that he’s psychic. I laughed at that statement. We ended up walking to my make-up room while chatting. He sat down on one stool while I took off the microphone attached to my body. It was silent for a while and he was looking around the room.

“You know,” I broke the silence, “this room is just like any other make-up room in the KBS building.”

He stopped looking around and darted his eyes to me. He chuckled, agreeing to what I just said.

“I really love your porridge,” he began.

“What porridge?”

“You brought the porridge to me while you were visiting me the other day, remember?”

“Oh that...”

“Did you make it?”

“Yep. I always make them for my family members when they’re sick.”

“Wow. I feel so special.”

“Why so?” I looked at him with my eyebrows raised.

“Since you always make them for your family members, and I’m just no one,” he shrugged.

‘You’re not no one,’ I thought to myself.

“Stella told me that you left because of an emergency call.”

“Hmm? Oh yeah,” I lied. Seems like Stella came up with a lie. I left because I couldn’t stand her but I’m not going to bad-mouth her in front of her boyfriend.

“Is everything okay?”

“Sure, it’s just something to do with work.”

“Oh...”

We went silent again. It was kind of an awkward silence to me because I’m the one who’s in love with him here and he has no clue about it whatsoever. Fortunately, I didn’t even stutter. I looked at him through the mirror and saw him looking at me. I almost lose my breath when he caught me looking at him.

He stood up, walked up to me and turned my chair. I was surprised with his sudden gesture and decided to ask him about it when he asked me whether I’m free tonight.

“I’d love to treat you dinner.”

“Wha-? Why?”

“Just a way of saying thank you for cooking the wonderful porridge.”

“Oh...”

“And also I just want to congratulate you on your new segment.”

“I-,”

“I don’t take no for an answer, Hyori-ssi.”