Chapter 11

I Think I'm Ugly

I woke up to the sound of Super Junior’s Y with a smile on my face. I had an amazing night with Siwon. He was just so perfect from the beginning of our date (that’s what I’d like to call it) right until the end. He even texted me good night. I sighed when I realised that he’s just being friendly. He’s after all one of the friendliest members in Super Junior.

I had another recording this afternoon. And since it’s still early in the morning, I decided to go for my morning jog. I need to maintain my body weight so I wouldn’t be as fat as I was last time. There’s a lot I went through in order to lose weight. I planned to continue my diet until I’m as skinny as the other girls but my doctor charged me that I was slightly anorexic so my diet had to be monitored and controlled in order to have a healthy and ideal weight. Being anorexic was painful and I’m glad that the people around me helped brought me out of it.

I was drinking a glass of chocolate milk to revive my energy after the jog when Dongho barged into the kitchen causing me to choke. He apologised and patted my back.

“I thought you said you’re going to explain everything to me after your date last night!” he frowned while patting my back.

“You were already sleeping...” I pouted.

So, we spent the entire morning talking over breakfast about how I became close with Siwon. Dongho was smiling from ear to ear when I was telling the story. He told me that he’s proud of me and he’s touched that I finally have a boyfriend. And a famous boyfriend as well. I sighed. If only...

Manager eonni came earlier than expected, very early in fact. She usually picks me up two hours before the recording. I’ve sent Dongho to his Taekwondo class. Eonni rang the doorbell quite furiously and I was taken aback.

“What’s up, eonni?” I asked her when I opened the door.

She just barged in without even taking off her shoes and threw a newspaper on my coffee table. She told me to read the most front page of the entertainment section. I took a look at the headline and immediately I fell down on my bum on the couch.

‘FEMALE COMEDIAN JUNG HYORI WAS AN ADULT FILM ACTRESS’

Spread all over the page was blurred pictures of a woman and a man having an intimate moment. His face and our bodies are blurred except for the woman’s face. I looked at in disbelief. I was never a actress. And how can I be a actress when I’m a myself? But the woman in the picture looked a lot like me.

“Who in the world did this??” I yelled to no one in particular. As if on cue, I heard my handphone and my house phone rang continuously. I didn’t pick them up because I knew that it has something to do with today’s article. Voice messages kept on coming in. Mostly are from the press media and some are from friends and family.

One voice message caught my attention.

‘Hyori-ssi, are you okay? I’ve been trying to call you,’

That sweet voice is so familiar. Who else if it’s not Donghae?

‘It’s Lee Donghae by the way. Call me as soon as you heard this.’

Eonni was on the phone with someone and I’m glad she didn’t hear from who the last voice message came from. After their conversation ended, she asked me to hurry up and get dressed. Our boss needed us to get our asses at the company as soon as possible.

I got a proper scolding from him at first. It’s so typical of our boss to not let the others talk until he finished talking himself. After a good five minutes, he finally let me talk. I explained myself and thankfully he believed me. He told me that he’d do anything to clear this scandal. He let me off the hook and even gave me a few days off. But of course, due to this scandal, I won’t be allowed to appear on television so all the recordings in my schedule will be cancelled.

Eonni sent me home and apologised that she couldn’t stay with me. She had to be with the boss and help him in doing whatever they can to stop the video scandal. I sighed and took out the rocky road ice-cream tub from the fridge. As I was about to eat it, my doorbell rang. Looking at the clock, I don’t think Dongho’s Taekwondo lesson has ended. He has Taekwondo practice for his upcoming evaluation. Soon he’ll get his orange belt.

I was surprised to see who was at the door. Siwon’s face could be seen from the peephole. I don’t know if I should open the door or not. It’s kind of embarrassing for me to see him. I bet he’s seen today’s article.

“Hyori-ssi, open the door!” he knocked furiously on it and kept on pressing the doorbell as well. “Hyori-ssi!”

Him knocking furiously and yelling out for my name startled me, making me immediately opened the door.

“Si-Siwon-ssi...,” I stuttered and looked down at my feet. I just couldn’t look up to see his face. I don’t want to know how his expression would be like. Would it be in hurt? Or anger? Or maybe disappointment?

“Gwaenchanayo?” he asked me. His worried voice shocked me and I looked up to him. Indeed, worry was shown from his face. I don’t know why but tears started to fall down. Maybe I’m touched by his concern. Or maybe I’m scared that he’ll lose his trust on me. That thought scared me, I couldn’t stop crying and I kept on apologising to him.

“Why are you saying sorry?”

He wrapped his arms around me and put my head to his chest. I sobbed into his chest while he patted my head softly, trying to calm me down. His gesture did calm me down and I finally stopped crying.

At first, I felt bliss when I was in his arms, until I realised this person is someone else’s man, I broke free from him.

“I-I’m so sorry,” I apologised once more and bowed to him. I sniffed and looked down at my feet again.

“Look at me, Hyori-ssi,” he began and lifted my chin up so that he could look into my eyes, “I know the woman in those pictures is not you.”