Chapter 3

I Think I'm Ugly

My eyes widened in surprise. Choi Siwon? Am I drunk? It can’t be. My alcohol tolerance is pretty high. I read the message again and again and the name at the end of the message is still read as ‘Choi Siwon’. Is there any other Choi Siwon than my Choi Siwon?

“Noona! Ppalli (hurry up)!” drunk Seungho told me to drink the soju.

“Can we call it a night, Seungho-gun?” I stood up and grabbed my purse. “You guys should rest while you can. Your dongsaengs look tired.”

Being the good boy, he pouted and nodded. I went to the cashier to pay while the boys carried him to their car. Bongseon eonni went to her car and drove home.

“Goodbye kids!” she waved.

“Noona thanks for tonight,” Cheondung grinned. “Noona is the best!”

“I know that...,” I grinned. “Now give me a hug!” His eyes widened and he scrambled on his feet to their car.

“Ya!” I yelled.

“Bye noona!” they waved at me and drove off.

Since I had been drinking (and might be slightly drunk), manager eonni sent me home. I took out my phone from my purse and read the last message I received. The message from Choi Siwon. Super Junior’s Choi Siwon. Well, I am not really sure if it’s Super Junior’s Choi Siwon. It might be other Choi Siwon. But then, he’s the only Choi Siwon that I had an ‘incident’ with. Or did I have another incident with another Choi Siwon? If it’s him, then how did he find my number? Why does he care? And what if it’s just a prank? Millions of questions ran in my mind, I didn’t even realise we’ve stopped right in front of my house. A knock in the head from eonni brought me back to Earth.

“Ah eonni!” I whined.

“Get out now. I want to go home and rest.”

“Gee. Thanks a lot,” I pouted and went out of the car. I walked to the house and rang the bell, waiting for someone to open the door. After pressing the bell for umpteenth time, my little brother finally opened it with a sour look on his face. He looked sleepy so I bet I had woken him up. It’s quite late too but then tomorrow is Saturday. Everybody is bound to stay up late on Saturday night.

After washing my face and changed to my PJs, I checked my phone and read the message again. What do I do? Should I give him a call? He did ask me to call. What if he doesn’t answer? Or even worse, what if he rejects it right away? If he answers, what would I say? I cleared my throat to prepare saying hello, just in case my voice turned to be quite husky from the alcohol. I pressed the dial button and waited (and also hoping) for him to pick up.

*ring ring*

It rang until the automated voicemail system told me to leave a message to his phone as he couldn’t be reached. I felt so humiliated. What if he’s there but he just didn’t want to accept my call and waited until I actually give up? Maybe he will call me, I thought. Maybe he’s busy. Maybe he’s in the gym. Maybe he’s in the shower. Maybe he’s practising. I thought of a lot of maybes just to make me feel better until I fell asleep on the couch.

*****

I woke up to the sound of MBLAQ’s Monalisa. Those guys took my phone and changed my alarm tone, ring tone as well as my message tone to their latest song. Without looking at the caller ID, I answered the phone.

“Hyori-ssi?”

“Who is this?” I answered half-heartedly.

“Hello there. Super Junior’s Choi Siwon imnida~”

That literally made me wide awake. Siwon called me?! I was hyperventilating and whatever things that I want to say that I’ve rehearsed last night was gone just like that. There was just an awkward silence.

“Hello? Hyori-ssi, are you there?”

“N-ne!” I blushed.

He apologised for not answering my call last night as he was busy practising and was exhausted that he didn’t even get the chance to check his phone. He told that he saw how I looked so hurt yesterday. I quickly denied it but then he said he knew when one lies when they’re hurt because he’s done it a lot of times. So he wanted to bring me to the hospital for a check-up but I declined.

“Please Hyori-ssi. I don’t want to feel guilty for the rest of my life,” he begged.

“I-,”

“If you’re worried that it’s going to be a hassle, then don’t worry. I have my appointment today as well for my annual check up.”

******

I waited for him in front of the General Hospital. I kept on checking my appearance on my small mirror. I’ve put on quite a thick layer of make-up and also I’ve put on the best casual outfit that exists in my wardrobe. Even though I bet he doesn’t care about how I look, as long as I feel I look presentable, then it’s fine.

I was looking around for him and saw a tall man wearing shades and a mask walking up to me.

“Annyeonghaseyo Hyori-ssi. Choi Siwon imnida,” he bowed to me.

I bowed back and we entered the hospital.

“How are you feeling?” he asked.

“I’m good,” I lied. The truth is, my bum still hurt. It must have been a great fall. I just hope that there’s nothing wrong with my bone. I tried my best to not walk in a funny way and just act cool.

I just walked to wherever he’s bringing me while hoping that we’d reach our destination in a jiffy. He brought me straight to the doctor’s room and gestured for me to enter first.

“Ladies first,” he smiled.

I just blushed and walked to the doctor’s table. The doctor wasn’t in yet so we just sat down.

“The doctor is my cousin and I told her that I’m bringing a guest,” he explained.

That basically explained why we went straight to this room without registering at the front desk. It must be good to be rich. Not only he himself is rich, his relatives are also rich.

A few minutes passed and a young doctor entered the room. She’s tall and beautiful, just like Siwon. Good genes run in the family, I must say.

“Good morning,” she greeted.

He began explaining why we’re here and told her to do some check-up on me before he left to have his check-up with his uncle. His uncle is also a doctor and he is the head doctor of this hospital.

I was sent to the x-ray room to check if there’s any fracture in my bone. Fortunately, there’s nothing but she showed me that I have a serious bad back as my backbone is slightly curved. She told me that she can fix it by doing a chiropractic therapy on me. Me, being clueless on what kind of therapy is that, just nodded to whatever she says.

I lied down sideway on the bed just like what she asked me to do and she began her job. At first, it was kind of relaxing until I heard my bone snap.

“OUCH!” I yelped.

I didn’t know therapy can be painful. I thought they’re supposed to be relaxing. Another yelp went out of my mouth.

******

A knock was heard from the door and when the door opened, in-walked Siwon with a worried look on his face.

“Are you okay? I thought I heard screaming,” he asked.

I blushed. Was I that loud? Did I scare him?

“I- I’m fine,” I stuttered.

He sat down next to me and talked to the doctor. He was glad that I didn’t have any serious injury. On our way going out, he offered me a ride home. At first, I declined because I don’t want to trouble him but again, he insisted. Being the perfect gentleman, he opened the car door for me and drove me home.

“Thanks Siwon-ssi. I really appreciate it,” I bowed to him. He just smiled and wished for me to get well soon. I smiled back and waited for him to drive off. Once I saw his car turned at the corner of the street, I was literally jumping around in glee.

I checked my phone and search for his message again. That one simple message that made me smile ear to ear. Only then I realised that I still hasn’t asked him how did he get my number.