Chapter 1

I Think I'm Ugly

"Hyori-ah! Wake up!" my manager eonni literally screamed in my ear. I ignored here and continued hugging my teddy bear, Mr snuggles, trying to go back to sleep. She pulled Mr Snuggles away from me and threatened me that she would burn it if I weren’t going to get my out of the bed.

“Ah arasseo, eonni!” I groggily went out of bed and get ready for the busy day ahead of us.

*****

"Good morning, eonni~" I greeted her. A few minutes ago, I was a girl who was too lazy to get out of bed but after freshening up, I felt so happy that this day has arrived. Today is going to be a busy day. We have a TV show recording for the Chuseok special. This means meeting all the handsome and hot idol groups. I love being in showbiz. I get to meet these handsome idols without even paying for it and instead I am getting paid for being on the same shows with them. How lucky am I?

Eonni ushered me to the car and drove me to the studio. At the studio, I was rushed to the waiting room to do some touching up. I’ve applied quite a thick layer of make-up at home but then it seemed like it’s not enough to hide my true face. After all I was about to appear on television and I needed to look good.

“Hyori-ah!” Miseon eonni waved to me. She’s my co-MC for today’s show along with Jaesuk oppa and Myeongsoo oppa. They’re respected comedians and I feel so lucky to be working along with them. I learnt a lot from her and she was the one who’s been giving me good advice on how to be a good comedian.

Yes, I am a comedian and that explains why I need a very thick layer of make-up in order to look good. Even though people don’t really care how comedians look, but after all I’m just a girl and for sure, I don’t want to look ugly in front of my crush.

“Good morning, seonbanimdeul (seniors)!” greeted MBLAQ. These guys are very polite when it comes to greeting their seniors. We’re pretty close after we filmed a whole season of their show. We were very close back then and fortunately, we’re still close now.

“Noona, when are you going to treat us to Korean BBQ?” asked Mir.

“Did she promise to treat you?” Miseon eonni asked.

“Yes,” Cheondung replied.

“Well, good luck with that. She always promised me things but she never fulfils it,” eonni replied.

“Ahh that’s no wonder she never replied my text when I asked about it,” said Joon.

“Why would I reply you when you never reply me back?” I retorted.

Joon was about to argue when the PD called us to go to the studio to start our recording.

 

*****

“Welcome to Chuseok special with male idols!” we chorused. “Today, we’re going to have fun torturing the kids!” I grinned. “But first let’s introduce who’s going to be with us today!”

“Our beastly idol – 2PM!” we shouted. The audience roared in unison when the six boys ran out of the backstage and bowed to the audience.

“Annyeonghaseyo, we’re 2PM!” This made the audience roared even louder. Even their Hands Up song playing in the background couldn’t be heard amidst their roars. And of course, all of the audience in the studio are fangirls. I couldn’t see any male at all except for the staffs and also these eyecandies who are going to be stuck with us for the rest of the day.

“Well, let me introduce our next guest. These guys are like dongsaengs to me so I am very sure you know who they are – MBLAQ!” The audience roared once again. There were a lot of fangirls, and by a lot, I mean A LOT! And also, they didn’t come empty-handed. Almost each of them had either a lightstick or a placard with their favourite member’s name.

“Annyeonghaseyo, MBLAQ imnida!” they bowed 90 degrees to the audience and also to us. Their song, Monalisa, was playing in the background and Joon went straight to hog the camera and was about to sing his part when the song stopped playing. This caused him to be frozen with his mouth wide open and everyone couldn’t help but laugh at his dorkiness. He pouted and went back standing with the other members. I hugged him to coo him and also the rest of the members and this has caused the fangirls to scream.

“Ya ya ya!”  Myeongsu oppa yanked me away from them by pulling the back of my shirt. “Stop flirting! We shouldn’t let our last guest to wait and for sure, we shouldn’t let the audience to wait for our last guest of the day.”

 “Choesonghamnida (I’m sorry). Why don’t you introduce our next guest?” I said with a big smile. I just couldn’t announce their name without going into a fangirl mode. I need to keep my cool as I am known as the femme fatale of comedians.

“Alright, alright. Without waiting for so long, let’s bring out our last guest – SUPER JUNIOR!”

“Hey, I’m Mr Simple!” Their new song was playing in the background along with the screams of fangirls filling the studio. And there he was, the guy who made me join showbiz. The guy who’s been making my heart skips a beat.