Chapter 9: Eommanim Please!

My Wife is A Gangster

My Wife A Gangster  Chapter 9: Eommanim Please!

 

               Woohyun sighed looking at the clock, it was a little past noon and Myungsoo's new bride was still in bed. He looked over to Sunggyu for some consolation. Sunggyu was busy reading his newspaper.

               "Yeobo! Do something about our new bride! It's pass noon and I've milked three cows, feed the chickens, watered the crops, and Sungyeol is still in bed." Woohyun nagged.

               "Ah ah calm down my Woohyunie nagging will give you wrinkles." Sunggyu cooed, receiving a glare from Woohyun

               "YEOBO!" Woohyun pinched Sunggyu in irritation. " Go wake him up! It's not good that an expecting mother sleep all day."

               "Cut him so slack my aegi-ah. Pregnant people need their rest."

               "But he's not even that big yet! Aiigoo...you father and son are the same! You see young pretty ones and you fall head over heels!"

               "Aiii Woohyunie it's not like that! Not me I always find you most beautiful!" Sunggyu said rubbing his wife's shoulders.

               Sunggyu peered into their son and Sungyeol's room. Sungyeol was laying under a bundle of blankets. Myungsoo had gone to work early in the day.

               "Lee Sajangnim" Sunggyu said softly, "it's time to wake upp"

               "emmm Abeoji...let me sleep some more...the baby made a fust early in the morning..." Sungyeol whined still half asleep.

               "Aigoo my grandbaby is already that fiesty?" Sunggyu said excitedly almost forgetting why he was there. "Ah that's right Lee Sajangnim you need to wake up. Woohyun Eomma need your help." The older man approached Sungyeol and tapped him on the side. By reflex Sungyeol sleepily reached up and pulled Sunggyu by the collar and pushed him down. One eye open after the other sleepily to a scared Abeoji.

               "L..Lee Sajangnim! I..It's me" Sunggyu said in shock.

               "Oh my gosh! I'm sorry Abeoji..." Sungyeol apologized and let go of him. " Sorry...I don't wake up to well to people touching me. It's part of the 'business'...you understand."

               "I..it's ok...Lee Sajangnim."

               "Abeoji you can just call me Sungyeol from now on, just drop the Sajangnim...and I hope you forget our past." Sungyeol said sweetly. Sunggyu was warming up the sweet Sajangnim bride.

               The two gathered in the living room to meet a ranting Woohyun.

               "Eomma...are you ok?" Sungyeol asks innocently completely unaware of the situation.

               "Why....yes..of course...why wouldn't I be ok...*working the day away*..." Woohyun said. " Come along! We're heading to the market."

               "Yes Eomma"

               The two bid Sunggyu goodbye and set out for the local farmers market, as Gyu set out to the family Grocery store. Sungyeol walked along side Woohyun in silence not knowing what to say to his Eomma-in-law. His feet were already tired due to the long walk from the house to the market. Getting use to the country life was hard. There were mostly dirt roads, sometimes with cow or horse poo everywhere. Usually people would drive but Sunggyu and Myungsoo took all the cars. He began to feel sympathy for Woohyun, was this what he had to deal with most of his marriage life? Sungyeol certainly did not want to end up like this. He hope that things will turn up well, then Myungsoo and him can move back to the city. Maybe they can convince Gyu Abeoji and Nam Eomma to move to the city too in the future.

               "Eomma...my feet is getting so tired now...can we take a break?...Ahh and the cow poo is getting on my shoes!!"

               "Aiigooo you young people are suppose to have more stamina than that..."

               "But Eomma...the aegi inside o me is tired...we need a break."

               "It's your fault to be wearing such clothes outside here in the countryside with dress shoes no less."

               Part of what Woohyun said was right, Sungyeol was improperly dressed for the occasion. The people in town usually just wore regular jeans and comfortable shirts, but his son's wife was dress in full designer apparel; Calvin Klein dress shirt, Louis Vuitton slacks, expensive Italian dress shoes, and Prada sunglasses. Sungyeol completely looked out of place, and for sure there will be much talk at the market place today. Woohyun stared at Sungyeol in disbelief. The innocent new bride was fanning himself now as they stood under the shade.

               After a 20 minutes break the two continued their walk to the local market. As expected Sungyeol received a lot of attention from the locals.

               "Hello Woohyunie! What would you like today!?" A friendly Ahjummah asks.

               "Hello Ms. Choi can I get some fresh steak today? My Myungsoo is back home now and I want to make him something good." Woohyun answered cheerfully.

               "Omooo Myungsoo is back!? Sure sure I'll give you the best steak! Oh, by the way is your handsome boy still single? I want to introduce him to my niece! She's only 21 and she's from the city!" The ahjummah giggled.

               "Uh..."Woohyun was cut off by a loud protest from Sungyeol.

               "Yah! Ahjummah why don't you update! Myungsoo is already married! M.A.R.R.I.E.D! Got that? Tell all your friends and neighbors!"

               "Uck!...O..omooo who is this rude child?! Woohyunie where did you get this one" The meat ahjummah yelled.

               "I'm Lee Sungyeol, Lee Sa.jang.nim got it? Kim Myungsoo's wife!" Sungyeol announced.

               "A...Aiigooo you? Sweet Myungsoo is married to...o..omooo yah you youngster how can you raise your voice at an older person?!" The meat ahjummah scolded, " You look so pretty and sweet but your mouth is full of...oohh aiigoooo. I'm sorry Woohyunie today we're close early!"

               "Ahh..Mrs. Choi..please don't be like that! This one is still young and fiery so please don't mind his tone!" Woohyun tried to cool the lady down.

               "Eomma! We don't have to buy here there's probably other vendors around." Sungyeol protested.

               "Shh you child! There IS no other places that sell better than here, if you want to eat steak tonight then control that mouth." Woohyun hushed Sungyeol quietly then turning to Mrs. Choi, " I promise next shipment Gyu will send you the freshest batch of vegetables." Woohyun bargained.

               "Ok ok, only because I respect Gyu and you so much." Mrs. Choi said finally calming down.

               Woohyun and Sungyeol went to the fish market next and this time Woohyun made sure Sungyeol would control his temper. The pair bought what they needed and prepared for home.

               "Eomma, I think I learned a lot today!" Sungyeol said innocently, it seems like he had forgotten all about the earlier conflicts. Woohyun shook his head thinking that there is yet much to learn.

               "But...Eomma next time can Abeoji drop us off, my feet really can't handle so much walking. I don't think it's good for the baby."

               Sungyeol sat at the table playing Candy Crush on his tablet as Woohyun was preparing dinner. Woohyung was chopping away at the cutting board.

               "Baby I'm homeee!" Myungsoo called from the door way.

               "Yeoboo!" Sungyeol chirped up getting up to greet his husband.

               "Omo..how's my baby today?" Myungsoo rubbed Sungyeol's stomach making his wife giggle. From the counter a huff could be heard from Woohyun.

               "Oh Eomma! I'm Home!" Myungsoo called out trying to make a save, and coming over to hug his Eomma.

               "I'm glad you still remember Eomma" Woohyun sniffed making Sunggyu chuckle behind the sofa.

               "It's not that Eomma, I just forget that I'm living with you now since I'm use to just the two of us at the apartment." Myungsoo explained. He knew his eomma too well, Myungsoo sighed turning in attempt to help his Eomma with the cooking.

               "It's ok, I'm almost done here, you go wash up and prepare for dinner, Sungyeol can help me from here." Woohyun shooed his son away.

               "M..me?" Sungyeol asked, " B..but..."

               "Um..Eomma..." Myungsoo was about to say something but was pushed into his room to change.

               It wasn't that Sungyeol was lazy, or didn't want to help, but it was he couldn't. Sungyeol had no clue when it comes to housework, and especially when it come to cooking. He was trying to avoid it as much as possible, so his in-laws wouldn't know.

               "Come! Help me chop up some onions" Woohyun ordered.

               "....O..ok.." Sungyeol replied weakly coming over.

               About 4 minutes and 50 seconds a loud scream can be heard through the kitchen. Sunggyu raised up from the sofa, and Myungsoo rushed out from his room.

               "Wae..wae? What's going on?" Myungsoo called out coming over with half his shirt ed, and his fly open.

                

               "Yeobo..." Sungyeol cried, " I burnt the onions...and my shirt..."

               "There there it's ok babe, I'll buy you a new shirt!" Myungsoo patted his wife's head.

               "...But you can't afford it...." Sungyeol cried.

               From the other counter Woohyun was in distressed trying to put the fiery pan in the sink. His hair was ruffled, apron dirty, and beads of sweat was pouring down his head.

               "I'm sorry Eomma! I'm so sorry!" Sungyeol called out.

               "Yeoboo!!" Woohyun called to Gyu, " Aiiigooo...What do I do with this one!? Out! OUt of the kitchen everyone!"

               Myungsoo pulled the pouting Sungyeol out as Woohyun shooed everyone out so he could save the rest of the dinner.

               The table was silent. Sunggyu ate happily patting his wife's back while complimenting his wife's cooking, Myungsoo ate silently in fear, Sungyeol pouted in disappointment at himself as his husband held his hand from under the table, and Woohyun,... Woohyun was cutting up the steak into shreds inside his own plate. Everyone knew that if Nam Eomma was angry then hell would freeze over.

               The day couldn't get any worst for the poor mother of the Kim family. In side everyone was praying that tomorrow would be a better day.