Just another day.. (bg)

Secret Dreams

Hi guise~ This is my very first fanfic hoohoo. ^_^ I hope you guys like it~ I'm a terrible writer but it's fun. haha..

This chapter is mostly background stuff about Haneul [You] and about her life in LA for now. I tried to introduce a lot of things that I'll refer back to in future chapters..

Please enjoy reading! >_< 


It was just another day of high school for 18 year old Haneul Park in Los Angeles, CA. You wake up at 7am on most days so you can get ready to go to school on time, which starts at 8am. You brush your teeth, brush your hair, wash your face, and look at yourself in the mirror as you think to yourself, dang I really need to take better care of my somehow. You suffered from acne and dark circles ever since you got really stressed starting high school.

It was spring, and graduation was near. You were always one of those kids who try really hard in class and get all A’s and take as many AP classes as you can. Of course, with all those responsibilities, you never get any sleep, better yet any free time to relax and hang out with friends. You always listened to your parents and pretty much let them shape your life. You would go to a 4-year undergraduate university after high school, majoring in some science degree, and then continue to study for 4 more years for graduate, and then finally keep on studying to get a Ph. D so that you could have a stable job for the future. Whenever you parents mentioned college and your future during dinner, you always lost your appetite because you actually hated studying and didn’t want to study until you were well over 30 years old. You had your own dream, a secret dream that you’d been harboring these past 18 years that you haven’t told a soul about.

You desperately wanted to become a singer. Some people want to become a singer because of the fame, the fortune, and the popularity, but no. You want to become a singer because you loved to sing. Although you weren’t very good at it, you practiced secretly every afternoon after school before your parents came home from work. Of course, your younger brother, who is 15 and goes to the same high school as you, hears you, but he complains, saying that you aren’t very good. I mean, who cares though, right? But thanks you your brother’s “constructive criticism,” you began to practice rapping, and soon, you could freestyle rap quite decently.

All of this singing and rapping business was a secret though. To your brother, it seemed like you were just obsessed with music. Muhaha.. Nobody knows that you are secretly preparing to audition for a company so that you can become a singer though. The whole reason you studied hard these past four years in high school was because your parents said they would buy a roundtrip ticket for you to Korea the summer after you graduate from high school if you study hard and get into a good college.

After you dress yourself casually, which means jeans, a shirt, and a cardigan, you go downstairs to have some breakfast. Your body was actually on the slim side, so you could pull of quite a lot of different styles, but you put comfort before fashion when it came to school. Your parents already left for work an hour ago, so you just grab a piece of toast and run off to the bus stop because you’re late again. Your brother is already at the bus stop, waiting for you.

“Noona! You almost missed the bus again!” said your brother as you guys heard the bus drive around the corner.

“Wah sorry I overslept again..” you lied as you munched on your piece of toast.

Once you arrived at school, you went to your locker to get your books and supplies for class.

“Hey Haneul! It’s a Friday!” exclaimed one of you best friends, Joon, as he met you on the way to your first class of the day.

“Hey Joon! Thank goodness.. I am so done with school already..” you complained as you sat down in your seat. “Where’s Miyoung?” Miyoung was your other best friend. The three of you were so close ever since freshman year of high school. Although your high school had lots of Asians, you three somehow managed to become the best of friends, probably due to similar backgrounds.

Suddenly, Miyoung bursted through the door and sat down beside you guys just as the bell rang, signaling the start of class.

“Dang Miyoung, where were you?” you asked as she panted a little and primped herself up before the morning announcements began.

“Ahh I dropped my earring in the bathroom and was searching for it, and before I knew it there was only one minute left till class began and I just ran over here!” You noticed that Miyoung had only one earring on.

“Dude that .. I’ll help you find it during lunch, ok?” You reassured her before the teacher began class.

Before you knew it, lunchtime came and you and Miyoung went to the bathroom to search for the earring, but to no avail. It was impossible! Lunch was only 25 minutes long, so you guys only had so much time before the bell rang, signaling that the next class period would begin in one minute.

“Aishh!” exclaimed Miyoung as you guys ran to the next class.

“Haha I feel like we’re running everywhere today,” you chuckled. Miyoung glared at you. You instantly said “Kkaepsong~” and continued running. (For those of you who don’t watch exo showtime: Baekhyun says kkaepsong whenever he says something funny but nobody laughs, so it’s like a sorry mixed with a just kidding.. lol)

The rest of the school day zoomed by and before you knew it, you were on the bus back home. Joon only rode the bus home, so you sat next to him.

*Flashback*

"Haneul.. I have something to ask you.." Joon quietly said as you sat next to him on the bus. It was a Friday.

"Yeah, what is it?" you asked nonchalantly as you rummaged through your backpack for a bag of chips you had bought earlier.

Joon suddenly grabbed your hand and startled you. You instantly looked up at him, annoyed because you were hungry and wanted to eat your beloved chips before the bus left the school. You were surprised, though, by the intensity in Joon's stare. 

"W-what is it Joon..?" you stuttered as he still held your hand tightly. 

"I like you, Haneul. I know you might not think of me like that, but I really like you."

Your heart instantly started beating like crazy and you turned red. You blushed so hard so easily.. T_T

"U-uhm Joon can you let go of my hand?" You felt really bad to ruin the mood but he was gripping you so tightly that your hand hurt. 

Joon let go of your hand, and realizing what he had just said, blushed. So many emotions were flying by. You wanted to remain as close friends with Joon, because right now you weren't looking for a relationship, and you didn't want the three of you guys to feel awkward in any way. Joon was actually pretty easy on the eyes, tall, nice, and caring, but you hoped to be best friends with him and Miyoung for the rest of your life..

"S-sorry Joon. I've been really busy lately.. I mean, we're only in high school.." you stumbled as you looked away. 

"It's fine Haneul. I can wait. Thanks for listening to my confession," he smiled as he turned around and started texting on his phone. 

Phew you thought to yourself, and tried to fully absorb what just happened.

*End flashback*

The truth was, Joon previously confessed to you back in junior year, but you only saw him as a very close guy friend. He eventually accepted the fact, and though there are still a few awkward moments between you guys, the two of you remain good friends. Although sometimes, he cares for you a bit too much..

“Haneul! Do you have a lot of homework today?” asked Joon as he made room for you to sit next to him.

“Well, yeah. The teachers give so much homework over the weekend.. but why do you ask?”

“Oh.. it’s just that I thought the three of us could hangout after school today.. You know, we’re graduating next month and I wanted to make more memories. Sorry for sounding cheesy haha,” Joon explained as he ruffled through his backpack for his phone.

“Oh.. Well we still have lots of time, especially over the summer you know? Do you have any plans for the summer?” you asked.

“My mom might make me go visit my relatives in Korea so that I can help out my grandparents with their family business. Noodle making haha,” Joon chuckled as he sighed.

You instantly froze. You knew the chances of meeting Joon in Korea were one in a billion, but you haven’t even told your friends about your secret singer dream.

“Hey Haneul, hello? Anyone there?” Joon asked as he waved his hand in front of your face.

“Oh sorry just thinking about all the homework I have today,” you mumbled as you rummaged through your backpack as well.

You could not wait until graduation.


Kyaa! How was it? ._. I know, sorta boring but I had to lay out the setting and basic background info. T-T 

Thanks for reading!!